View Poll Results: What do you use instead of animals milk - if you use a replacement?

Voters
413. You may not vote on this poll
  • Soya milk

159 38.50%
  • Sweetened soya milk

77 18.64%
  • Almond milk

43 10.41%
  • Hazelnut milk

5 1.21%
  • Rice milk

43 10.41%
  • Quinoa drink

1 0.24%
  • Oat drink

24 5.81%
  • Other

12 2.91%
  • Combinations (ie. rice + soy milk)

33 7.99%
  • I don't feel a need to replace animals milk with something else

16 3.87%
  • Added June 2011: Sunflower milk

0 0%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite vegan milk alternatives

princessemma

Default Re: New Veggie.

I personally like the so good milk the best. I've tried rice milk, alprovo and tesco's own but I couldn't stand them in tea or on cereal. So Good is so nice I can even drink it on it's own. I've not tried almond milk yet. I'm only a 'trainee' vegan as well but it's been 2 weeks and it's getting easier. Lots of things taste different but a lot of them are just as nice or even better!

Good Luck

Talking Re: New Veggie.

i know some people who dont like soymilk that really enjoy rice milk...its sweeter and doesnt have the nutty taste.

btw welcome!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Default Re: New Veggie.

Yeah, I guess everyone's a different flavor.

Default Re: New Veggie

Vanilla rice milk is teh r0xx0r on cereal

And chocolate flavoured So Good, but it feels so decadent having chocolate in the morning...
    "It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions" - Mark Twain

Quote GloomCookie
    Vanilla rice milk is teh r0xx0r on cereal

And chocolate flavoured So Good, but it feels so decadent having chocolate in the morning...
    what does "teh r0xx0r" mean GloomCookie

Default milks

As a loooong-time vegan I found living without dairy a long while prepared me for the flavours of substitutes. Now I enjoy my lack of "dependance" on these products. especially important while travelling... so black coffee, tea with lemon
    dry toast, muesli with juice are the "norm" and all the alternatives are a great
    (pricey) treat. I'm sure everyone has tales of making do out there...

here is a cheat for the road: mini jar (self filled) of raw almondbutter- white is
    smoothest- for stirring into cereals with water or spread thinly on toast when V marg is unavailable, even on a Jacket (baked) potato when choices are limited.

Back to packaged milks... do many of you have access to FRESH not long-life?

Default Re: Moo juice? No thanks. So whats your flavour ?

Bon soy is delicious and doesn't have a crappy after taste but is expensive. Vitasoy so milky is also good. These may only be available in oz though. I have a recipe for my fave vegan smoothie.

1/2 mango
    1 small banana
    1/2 cup crushed pineapple
    1 cup coconut milk/cream
    soya icecream or some ice cubes

Blend and enjoy

Quote treehugga
    Bon soy is delicious
    And is the best I reckon, I love it, I loooooove it

Antony Bon

FR

Has anyone heard of Soysense brand soy milk? I saw some the other day and wondered if it tasted any different than the other brands out there.

I recently discovered vanilla flavour Alpro OY shakes at my local health food shop and I could drink gallons of the stuff!

I didn't like milk much when I was an omni--I thought it tasted funny when I was younger, and developed lactose intolerance later on. Now that I'm vegan, though, I use "milk" more, though I use the derivatives (soy cheese, soy ice cream) less. I've tested several varieties.
    Same here. I never liked milk, and wasent crazy about cheese. I would like a good vegan cheese just to have gooey garlic fingers occasionaly, but i can certianly live with them!
    I think soymilk is WAY better then regular milk. I dont like normal stuff as much, but vanilla and chocolate are delicious! I use vanilla on my cereal (i eat WAY more cereal now!) and chocolate i drink about once a day with a glass of apple juice as well every morning because its so good for ya!
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

BTW, for those newish vegans don't guilt trip yourselves about the odd error. Veganism is about intent and we intend on doing what we can in avoiding as much as we can - but accidents happen.
    Exactly!!!
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Lily
    I recently discovered vanilla flavour Alpro OY shakes at my local health food shop and I could drink gallons of the stuff!

I love the alpro milkshakes. The only problem is I only get a glass out of one of the litre cartons. Once the kids see it there is no hope in me seeing another drop

Quote abrennan
    what does "teh r0xx0r" mean GloomCookie
    Uh, it's kind of a geek thing

*blushes furiously*

It means it rocks.
    "It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions" - Mark Twain

I have Alpro soya it is the only one that doesn't have the vanilla taste. Yuck...I've tried rice milk didn't like it too much. I've never even seen the other types...
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Whimsy

I really haven't enjoyed milk since I was a child so I dont replace it with soy or the like...Now ice cream on the other hand

i LOVE LOVE LOVE soy milk, usually original more than vanilla, but the thing i really love is almond milk although i don't get it as often, i wanna start making my own soy, rice, oat and almond milk, i think it'll be more economical and everything...
    Peace Love Surf.

I now use Alpro unsweetened soya with calcium and vitamins on my cereal every morning.

Unsweetened soya milk for me - usually organic (which means no added vitamins, unfortunately).

I tried Oatly unsweetened organic oat milk and it was too sweet for me. It was fine in custard and cheese sauce, though.

I used to have the Organic one, but I like the extra stuff they put in the one I use now. If only that could be organic too.

i've been switching around soya milk brands recently according to which is the cheapest (i've been too lazy to make my own for a while - must get back into it ).

has anyone seen a brand called NaturGreen? i think it's from Belgium or somewhere like that. it's normally £1.79 a litre in my local wholefood shop but was on special offer for 89p so i thought i'd give it a go. they had a flavour with added omega 3 (from hemp seeds) which sounded like a good idea, it doesn't have any added calcium or vitamins though. it's a bit too sweet for my taste, it's sweetened with agave and vanilla and i found it a bit too rich on my muesli. had to water it down but i guess that saves money
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote puffin
    I love the alpro milkshakes. The only problem is I only get a glass out of one of the litre cartons. Once the kids see it there is no hope in me seeing another drop
    I love these too but they're too expensive to drink all the time. I solved the problem by mixing a powdered milk shake mix with plain Alpro soya milk. Tastes the same but loads cheaper.

Quote Maisiepaisie
    I love these too but they're too expensive to drink all the time. I solved the problem by mixing a powdered milk shake mix with plain Alpro soya milk. Tastes the same but loads cheaper.
    I have stopped buying the litre ones. I do buy the small cartons for my son to take to school for his tuck. They are pretty expensive but he really likes them. I make soya shakes with soya ice cream for the kids yum
    I tried the fresh So good milk a few weeks ago and it is the worst soya milk i have ever had.

Quote puffin
    I tried the fresh So good milk a few weeks ago and it is the worst soya milk i have ever had.
    I used to love it but then I started buying Alpro when it was on special offer. I've got so used to it I've gone right off the So Good. Asdas own brand fresh soya milk is really nice also.

Quote Maisiepaisie
    I used to love it but then I started buying Alpro when it was on special offer. I've got so used to it I've gone right off the So Good. Asdas own brand fresh soya milk is really nice also.
    I love alpro

I thought I'd give Oat Supreme a go, quite like it, cheap as at 68p. Oak milk is the future.

Quote gertvegan
    I thought I'd give Oat Supreme a go, quite like it, cheap as at 68p. Oak milk is the future.
    I might give it a go then.

I've stopped having soy milk recently. I only used it in smoothies and such. The only problem is it means I am not getting all the fortified goodies that it contains. However, all the fortified soy milks seem to contain alot of crap in their contents, which I dislike. A more pure soymilk had kombu in it (!!) but lacked the fortified B12 etc.

I'd love to drink almond milk and so on, but I dislike that they add oil to it. I do not want to guzzle down oil with my 'milk'.

Oatly is another good oat milk, but it's dearer than oat supreme.

Tofutti makes excellent mozzarella and cheddar slices that actually melt. I tried their cream cheese spread on a bagel today and was amazed. I bought a block of redwood cheese today for shredding but I have not yet tried yet.

As for soya milk, here in the UK (yea i know its confusing, I'm studying abroad in Scotland), a very vegan-friendly (and possibly entirely vegan) company called Provamel makes Alpro Soya which is very good. In health food stores (such as mine in Stirling) you should be able to find their yogurts and puddings -- good stuff. They definitely do not have vitamin D3 (which is animal derived and worth looking out for).

Quote slinkyvagabond
    I didn't like milk much when I was an omni--I thought it tasted funny when I was younger, and developed lactose intolerance later on. Now that I'm vegan, though, I use "milk" more, though I use the derivatives (soy cheese, soy ice cream) less. I've tested several varieties.
    same here, i have a lactose intolerance since i was a wee child... just the smell of milk makes me sick... so, when i use soy or rice milk or oat cream i don't feel like i'm replacing dairy products...

bbb
    xxx

FR

I had some coffee flavored Silk soymilk again today. I love that stuff!

Tiggerwoo

I use rice milk..... occasionally Rice Dream, but find that goes powdery after a day or so, but mainly Provamel Rice Drink. Its got a really smooth texture. I try to get the one with added calcium and vitamins.

have any UK people tried Alpro's new(ish) Line S variety? it's supposed to be reduced calorie soya milk and has added vitamins and calcium. i thought it tasted a bit weird, not as nice as their normal one.

I drink Holland & Barrett's sweetened soya milk with apple extracts, i tried the unsweetened one but now that i'm used to this one it tasted bland. I mainly have it with my porridge or tea and for baking. It cost 99p for 1 litre

I didnt like the Tofutti cheese slice had one slice then threw it away, however i loved Tofutti cream cheese that was yummy. I like Alpro Soya chocolate desets.

MultiGrain FTW!

FILTERED WATER, OAT GROATS, TRITCALE, BARLEY, ORGANIC SOYBEANS, BROWN RICE, AMARANTH, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SEA SALT, RIBOFLAVIN (B2), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2.

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

prilly-pie

i dont understand the need for any substitute for instance, vegan chicken slices... surely this is saying that its ok to say u can eat chicken but not literally, therefore eating a subsitute? - haha i just confused myself there.. erm.. for instance there would be uproar if tvp was laballed human thigh, so why should we have the right to put an innocent animal on the packaging of vegan foods.
    hmph hope i make sense

Quote ladyaprille
    i dont understand the need for any substitute for instance, vegan chicken slices... surely this is saying that its ok to say u can eat chicken but not literally, therefore eating a subsitute? - haha i just confused myself there.. erm.. for instance there would be uproar if tvp was laballed human thigh, so why should we have the right to put an innocent animal on the packaging of vegan foods.
    hmph hope i make sense
    there's a whole thread on something like that
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote slinkyvagabond
    I haven't found a good vegan cheese yet.
    OMG, I have! It was so good, but no one distributes it to my location cuz we too north! DX

It was called Veganrella! That stuff was the bomb!
    *sniff ima cry!
    "Stand your ground this is what we are fighting for.." -VNV

Where in Canada are you?

Quote Roxy
    Where in Canada are you?
    Montreal Quebec

I asked the byers in health food stores here, and they said there was alotta loss cuz the product didnt have a long shelf life... so, iono.
    "Stand your ground this is what we are fighting for.." -VNV

Ohhhh that's a shame.

I use rice milk and love it. Soymilk always had a funny after taste to that the rice milk doesn't have.

I use silk soy for me and my kids. I dont drink very much of it just cook with it. The kids drink tons of soy milk.

Plain soy milk. Not too often, though.
    I want to try making my own raw nut milks eventually. Just haven't gotten around to it because I'm lazy.

Oooh I was brought up on loads of milk and diary - absolute loads. As an omni teen though I was interested in trying things like soy milk and veggie wild rice burgers and things so maybe I just had unconcious want to eat differently... I have no idea though!!

Anyway, I love soy milk now - just recently managed to drink it on it's own (slowly, though), but otherwise I have it in soylattes at coffee shops, in milkshakes (I have a lovely carob shake as a desert sometimes), I don't eat cereal very often but would have it on that. I did try cereal with water once and it just tasted like cardboard in water...!

I do want to try other milks though, because I feel it's important to have variety in my diet and not eat the same stuff all the time. I have almond and I think oat milks in my fridge waiting their turn. Haven't really tried different soys but tend to have Alpro sweetened. I've also bought those little cartons of rice dream to have in tea at work - couldn't really taste it though, but it changed the colour and made it a bit milder, which was nice for a change from black tea. I also tried something else that was in a small box - it might have been almond, it was a bit strange though, from memory. I think sometimes those ones can taste watery - I like a nice thick texture.

I drink soymilk, but only the pure unsweetened variety without all the additives of most brands. My favorite brand is Trader Joe's organic unsweetened. It's just soybeans and water. Yummy!

I'm considering investing in a soymilk maker. However, some earlier posts in this thread said that homemade soymilk is bitter unless sweetened. I don't find unsweetened soymilk from the store to be bitter at all. Is homemade soymilk really that much more bitter than the store bought variety?

I've also made cashew milk. You just blend cashews and water in a blender and then strain. It's pretty good and the color is right.

There's a cafe in San Francisco that sells peanut milk. They claim it has miraculous healing powers. I don't know about that, but it tastes pretty good.

Bonsoy! Yum!

Limey

Quote Troub
    MultiGrain FTW!

FILTERED WATER, OAT GROATS, TRITCALE, BARLEY, ORGANIC SOYBEANS, BROWN RICE, AMARANTH, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SEA SALT, RIBOFLAVIN (B2), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2.

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    I've always wanted to try this, maybe I'll pick it up next time I need to go to the store.

Also wanted to try Silk's unsweetened soymilk, just afraid I would waste a whole carton.

if you don't like it, Limey, you could just use the remainder of the carton for smoothies, baking or something where you wouldn't really taste it