View Poll Results: What do you use instead of animals milk - if you use a replacement?

Voters
413. You may not vote on this poll
  • Soya milk

159 38.50%
  • Sweetened soya milk

77 18.64%
  • Almond milk

43 10.41%
  • Hazelnut milk

5 1.21%
  • Rice milk

43 10.41%
  • Quinoa drink

1 0.24%
  • Oat drink

24 5.81%
  • Other

12 2.91%
  • Combinations (ie. rice + soy milk)

33 7.99%
  • I don't feel a need to replace animals milk with something else

16 3.87%
  • Added June 2011: Sunflower milk

0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite vegan milk alternatives

Limey

Default Re: Moo juice? No thanks. So whats your flavour ?

Yeah like the somewhat scary Mac and Chreese I had earlier today.

I pretty much only use soymilk for straight drinking and in my cereal, but thanks for pointing that out. I could go ahead and start making myself smoothies.

I know many of you don't feel there should be a need to Replace milk, but after sooo many years of having cereal and milk shakes it would be hard to just not replace it! I've aalllways had cereal in the morning, have found out I'm allergic to wheat so toast is no go area at the mo, and I've heard conflicting things about eating fruit first thing in the morning.. can anyone shed any light on that? Basically I've heard that fruit on an empty stomach is best, and then I heard it's too acidic after such a long period of no food in there or something....

Lex x

Am I the only one here that drinks Vanilla Silk? I hope I didn't overlook an ingredient, if it's not vegan I'm going to have a heart attack

I drink it too

I do as well, it's my standard.

Limey

Quote sarahblue
    Am I the only one here that drinks Vanilla Silk? I hope I didn't overlook an ingredient, if it's not vegan I'm going to have a heart attack
    Oh, I am all over the Vanilla Silk. Light Vanilla to be exact. Yum! It's my first choice.

Limey

Quote alexia
    I know many of you don't feel there should be a need to Replace milk, but after sooo many years of having cereal and milk shakes it would be hard to just not replace it! I've aalllways had cereal in the morning, have found out I'm allergic to wheat so toast is no go area at the mo, and I've heard conflicting things about eating fruit first thing in the morning.. can anyone shed any light on that? Basically I've heard that fruit on an empty stomach is best, and then I heard it's too acidic after such a long period of no food in there or something....

Lex x
    I know for me that fruit in the morning is too early. I can never do oj on an empty stomach - OW! I know a lot of people who can. I suppose it's whatever works for you.

What's Vanilla Silk?! Do the people that drink it live outside the UK or am I missing something fantastic here?! x

"Vanilla Silk" sounds like a very trite sexual metaphor.

But I'm sure it's delicious!

Quote alexia
    What's Vanilla Silk?! Do the people that drink it live outside the UK or am I missing something fantastic here?! x
    Silk is a brand of soymilk, so Vanilla Silk is their vanilla flavor. They even have one called Very Vanilla, which I think is geared towards kids because it's too sweet.

Quote Limey
    I know for me that fruit in the morning is too early. I can never do oj on an empty stomach - OW! I know a lot of people who can. I suppose it's whatever works for you.
    I thought I was the only one!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I use vanilla flavored soymilk om my cereal - either Provamel (organic, so i prefer that, if i can get it where i'm at), or Naturli' (which is a danish allergy-friendly company). I usually use Provamel in foods, or if it's on sale, Oatly (organic oatmilk). I'd kind of like to try all of the good stuff - almond milk, hazelnut milk and so on, but it seems way too exepensive, and have been drinking soymilk my entire life (milk allergies..)

for cream i use Provamel's cooking cream, and for whipped cream SoyaToo. -makes a very good chocolate mousse (thanks cherry!)

Yeah I like trying all the different types of 'milk' out there; like soya, almond, rice, pea, etc. Some milks taste better with different foods. Can someone confirm that Coco Pops are vegan? x

I use Alpro Soya soya milk, the one in the orange carton. I prefer the unsweetened soya milk and I get the one with the added nutrients as they cost the same so i might as well. I use it in tea only and on muesli and cereals. One litre lasts me a week. It is tempting to buy supermarket own brands as they are a lot cheaper but I don't want to support the big supermarket chains. I think oat milk just tastes like water. I sometimes buy the strawberry Alpro Soya mini drinks as a sweet treat.
    Many a broken heart is hidden behind a smiling face.

Angel

Talking Re: Moo juice? No thanks. So whats your flavour ?

I love vanilla and chocolate soy milk. Silk and So Good are great brands.
    I love the commercials for Silk with the cows. It's so cute.

My preference is unsweetened soy milk. I usually buy Trader Joe's brand (the shelf stable kind), b/c it's cheap. Westsoy unsweetened is good too. My favorite mainstream brand is Silk, but it's got sweetener in it (I don't think they make an unsweetened variety). I've tried oat and almond milk and liked them both, too. I only really use it for cereal, cooking and in my coffee (important), but I was never a milk drinker, even before veganism.

I love Soy Delicious and Rice Dream "ice creams" ... with Steaz root beer for a float - major yumminess. And the Uncheese Cookbook has awesome cheese replacement recipies, since I am, after all, a recovering cheese addict!

It's amazing, I found out that the O Organics original flavor from Vons is REALLY good and fortified with TONS of vitamins (including vitamin D NOT from lanolin!). It's thick and creamy and ooo! So good!
    Peace Love Surf.

Default Re: Favorite vegan milk substitues

Sweetened soy milk (plain and chocolate) and almond milk (chocolate but I'm going to try plain soon). SOMETIMES plain or vanilla rice milk but I don't like it as much as soy milk.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I agree that it's not necessary to replace milk, i only eat/drink products that taste nice, which happens to be alot of alpro stuff, especialy there light 'milk' I find others too much like cow juice! That annoys me actualy vegan things that are made to look or taste like a meat/dairy product, I feel the producers some how missed the point!

I do like vegan ice cream though, I could never eat the dairy kind, used to make me quiet ill, a bit naughtiness is good every now and again!
    Dancing in circles on the kitchen floor

Hi, This is my first post so HELLO EVERYONE!!!!!!

just thought I'd ask has anyone else tried the chilled Aldi soya milk? I did a while back just as I was converting to vegan from omni but I'm not sure whether its vegan or not. Its a new product and very nice too - and theyve got a choccie one too. At the moment I'm sticking to alpro - had their cream with strawberries yesterday!!!

I'll add that I actually saw in one of their leaflets for whats coming in this week that they are advertising pates that they say are suitable for vegans. Its nice that they are advertising theyre vegan in thier leaflets.

Nicola

Quote sarahblue View Post
    It's vegan, but when I'm scanning ingredients labels, I also avoid carrageenan, which Silk contains.

When I have tiime, I like to make my own soy- and nutmilks; although I voted that I use soymilk the most, I like to make my own hazelnut and cashew milks (I mix the nuts). I also can't see paying $4 a quart for hempmilk, so I've also made that, using hemp nuts in the SoyToy. So far I've had mine five years and it's still going strong.

Default which is better? almond, rice, or oat milk

okay i have never liked dairy milk, i was vegan for all of my young childhood and im intolerant to dairy 'cause my body never had to adapt to it. however the only milk i ever drink is soy. im doing this detox thingy and im supposed to replace soy with almond/rice/oat milk but i dont no which is nicest.
    any ideas much aprecietad
    bryony

Default Re: which is better? almond, rice, or oat milk

It's a matter of preference; I like oat milk the best, although I never drink it. I'm saying it has the best taste.

You've inspired me to get some oat groats today, so I can make some up. Thanks!

hehe, glad to be of service

Good sperm

Mmm oat milk is my fave too

Me too. After soya.

I'd go for rice for a detox....since nuts are harder to digest. As far as taste goes rice is nicest plain and over cereal (in my opinion)...and when used to make porridge.
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

I would say it's a close call between oat and almond milk, in my opinion. Both are rather nice. I've never been too fond of rice milk - I find it way too watery and sweet, although I guess it's not too bad on cereal. If I had to pick just one - oat milk

It's also worth trying quinoa or hazelnut milk. And there's even a hazelnut & almond rice milk by Rice Dream - a combination of the above, and actually rather delicious!
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

dont forget hemp milk!

i like them all. sometimes im in the mood for one versus the other.

there are so many different types these days its hard to keep em straight

but my staple is unsweetened, organic soymilk
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I love the hazlenut & almond rice milk in my porridge, it is yummy I use the vanilla rice milk (which doesn't taste at all like vanilla to me) on my cereal, but it has to be kept in the fridge and really cold, I don't like it at room temperature !

Nutritionally, I don't know but oat milk is the cheapest and best-tasting. I couldn't adapt to soy milk even after years and years as a vegan.

Almond is OK too but pricier.

pavotrouge

oat-milk is cheapest in Australia O_O ? Over here, it's triple the price of soymilk. Lucky you!

I don't really have a preference, but a certain supermarket here has mix of soy and rice milk, I like that.
    There's also this Swiss company that makes all sorts of grain milks, eg from spelt- but they also cost a fortune.

same here!!!

soy is by far the cheapest!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I saw Hemp Milk today. But at $5 for one litre, I had to leave it on the shelf. Too bad it's so expensive. I really would've liked to have tried it.

pavotrouge

Must be a way to make it yourself...

Probably but I want to try the bought one lol.

I like oat milk the best, but don't like almond milk as it reminds me too much of marzipan. Hazlenut milk is quite nice too.

nut milks generally - expecially almond then cashew.

i tend to make them raw and use them fresh straight away.

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    Must be a way to make it yourself...
    There are a number of easy-to-use soymilk machines on the market; I've had a SoyToy for over five years and it's still working great.

Unfortunately, even Robert Cohen (developer and marketer of the SoyToy) recommends you get a machine that's made over there; he says:

"Not only that, but the idiot who taught them to drive on the wrong side
    of the road also taught them to have different electricity than we do; ergo,
    convertors are needed, and these hings never work right. SO...I do not
    recommend purchasing a soytoy if you are going to use it in Europe."

I suppose we can start a thread on soymilk makers so the VF police don't come down too hard on us. Kunsjoi? You have a SoyaLove or something, don't you? How's it working?

Quote Roxy View Post
    I saw Hemp Milk today. But at $5 for one litre, I had to leave it on the shelf. Too bad it's so expensive. I really would've liked to have tried it.
    Hemp milk is great, but not worth $5 a liter (or even 4, as it is here.)

BlackCats

I love almond milk - it is delicious! I would actually drink a glass of that from fridge. Rice milk is ok.

I have never tried oat milk or hemp milk ( I have weird idea that hemp milk would taste like cannabis soaked in water - I'm sure it doesn't.)

Quote frank language
    I suppose we can start a thread on soymilk makers
    Or search for existing threads like the 'Soya / Soy Milk Makers' thread for example, http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2365

Rice milk gets my vote. I actually prefer it to soya. I tried almond milk once and I didn't like it. One day I'll buy a carton of oat milk and give that one a try too.

thankyou
    im getting oat and rice tomorow

I love alpro soya, but it's too expensive, so i buy cheaper powdered soymilk, natural flavour. Rice milk, oat milkis 4 times more expensive, just can't afford it! (and never tried). I love homemade nut milk too

I love Rice Dream

Today I made the mistake of buying UNSWEETENED almond milk. I didn't realize it was unsweetend when I bought it, I just looked at the side and thought "hey, only 45 calories, awesome!" But it tastes like paint, I'm serious. I added some organic sugar to it, and now it tastes normal and great like usual.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Considering options are few here, my "milk" choices are either Silk or Rice Dream. Someone once told me that Silk was manufactured by one of the larger dairy companies and asked how any true vegan could feel comfortable promoting their sales even if the product were free from animal products.
    I've not tried Rice Dream yet. I will eventually, but I found an awesome organic Soy milk brand that I use in cooking. For everything else, I keep a stash of raw almonds on hand and make my own milk when I need something to eat on my cereal or mix in my tea.

out of those three - rice milk. It's darn nice. I tried almond milk at the Viva veggie show and it was vile. Oat is okay , I guess. I'd have Soya any day though.

Anyway, how did you get on with em?

I've stopped using milk substitute now, in fact we rarely eat meat/milk/cheese alternatives. When we were first vegan they were great but then somehow we kind of stopped needing them as we found ways to cook naturally.
    We like the odd Redwood sausage or Linda McCartney pie but day to day we don't bother. Smoothies and porridge can be made without any type of 'milk'.
    Silent but deadly :p