View Poll Results: What do you use instead of animals milk - if you use a replacement?

Voters
413. You may not vote on this poll
  • Soya milk

159 38.50%
  • Sweetened soya milk

77 18.64%
  • Almond milk

43 10.41%
  • Hazelnut milk

5 1.21%
  • Rice milk

43 10.41%
  • Quinoa drink

1 0.24%
  • Oat drink

24 5.81%
  • Other

12 2.91%
  • Combinations (ie. rice + soy milk)

33 7.99%
  • I don't feel a need to replace animals milk with something else

16 3.87%
  • Added June 2011: Sunflower milk

0 0%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite vegan milk alternatives

Default Re: which is better? almond, rice, or oat milk

GOOD. i like rice/oat and soya. i rotate which ones i use. i want to try quinoa milk next :P

I usually have Oat Milk, but ran out this morning. My cereal was 1/3 Oat Milk 2/3 Soy Milk. Not nice. It's funny how quick tastes change. I used to love Soy Milk.

I like rice milk cause it tastes yummy, soya milk is ok - but I'm not so keen on the flavour. I dont like nut milks, to me they dont taste very nice.

Also my digestion isnt all that great sometimes and so I go through times when I'm unintentionally sick a lot. I have been told rice milk is best for that, although to be honest some days I cant win with anything.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

I've recently switched from soya to oat milk in tea to see if that helps with my PMS, as suggested in another thread. I like the taste of both. I like to drink rice milk on its own but its not so nice in tea.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

rice milk is rather nice in the yogi choco tea

also finding that i'm going off soya milk..it seems a bit cloying after trying the rice milk..made almond milk once but that was mildly disasterous, ought to try again with different ratios and strain it maybe ..not tried/made oat milk yet.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote emmapresley View Post
    rice milk is rather nice in the yogi choco tea
    Whats that like EmmaP? I never heard of it. Does it have caffeine?

I used to not really drink soymilk, just used it on cereal, etc. But recently, I've been buying vanilla soymilk and find myself drinking it by the cupful because it's so good, especially some particular brands. I like Zensoy best. Almond milk comes in second. It seems like Silk is the most popular soymilk brand in the stores, but I don't think its taste is so special.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    Whats that like EmmaP? I never heard of it. Does it have caffeine?
    it's really nice maisie..no caffeine..that stuff sends me dippy!
    cocoa shells..cinnamon..liquorice..carob..barley malt..cardamom..ginger..cloves..vanilla extract..black pepper..

can get it in h&b
    2 quid ish for 15 bags

Sounds lovely, I'll get some next time I'm in town

Ive recently switched to oat milk after having a vague idea that it might be easier on my digestive system than soya. I absolutely love the stuff.

I drink it warm with malted slippery elm food and its become addictive (tastes i remember horlicks tasting about 20 years ago!).

Ive never liked almond or rice milk though. Its all down to personal preference really, give em all a go!

Almond! i love it! i just can't afford it

Klytemnest

Quote Roxy View Post
    I saw Hemp Milk today. But at $5 for one litre, I had to leave it on the shelf. Too bad it's so expensive. I really would've liked to have tried it.
    Wow! That is expensive! The Hemp Milk I buy is imported from Canada, and it costs $2.99 per 12 oz. It's delicious!!! Well, let's be frank here, it's just plain sweet and I love it. It's a ton of sugar, but I don't mind... Besides, I make up for that by carrying around my Stevia powder with me everywhere I go.

Quote Agatha View Post
    Almond! i love it! i just can't afford it
    you can make it!!!

soak almonds in water overnight..rinse them then blanche them in boiling water so you can slip off their skins..this will KILL your nails!!
    then whiz up the almonds and some water in the blender...put in a bit of sweet stuff (maple syrup, agave syrup or whatever)..whiz it all up some more, then strain off all the gritty bits..ta-dah! almond milk.
    compost the gritty bits, eat em or use them to exfoliate your face with..adapt the amounts of water and almonds to make the milk how you like it..

Default Re: Favorite vegan milk substitues

I have always been a cereal in the morning person, from about 12 I went off cows milk as I was always getting headaches and sore throats. I used to have So Good back then.

Later I tried Oat Milk by Pure Harvest, which was ok but a bit watery. Then I went gluten free so I have been having rice milk, I love it. I drink it on it's own, in tea/coffee or on cereal. I use Vitasoy's Rice Milk or Pure Harvest.

I also love :

It's imported here (Aust.) from Italy so it's not something I buy all the time as it's expensive, but the almond and vanilla versions are yummy.

I am now in the process of going raw, so I am going to try making my own almond or other nut milk

Also I am not a big fan of fake cheeses, I have tried Kingland (Aussie brand) and it was alright but never bought it again. I have had Cheezly a few times, but it's not something I have often.. and now going raw I probably won't have it again. I find it's a bit too fake and I like meals without it.

I love Silk Soymilk. I also really like Eden Soy, which is manufactured three blocks from my house. I just like creamy drinks.

I don't look to replace cow milk, but even before I went vegan, I used to enjoy soy milk (chilled by the cup in Asian restaurants), as I prefered soy milk to most beverages.
    context is everything

I really like Silk and 8th continent soy milk but I heard a rumor that White Wave (the manufacturer) is racist and white power! Has anyone else ever heard of this? It seems pretty crazy!

soy milk.. gotta have cereal

It's all about oat milk and almond milk....but if I do have soya milk it is always unsweetened!

I tried rice milk a few times and I really didn't like it!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

i really like almond milk on cereal, but soya milk seems to be easier to come by here in normal supermarkets. i prefer alpro out of all teh brands - and yes, i tried them all

i like the unsweetened best, with a bit of vanilla extract in to drink, but they only sell it in the big sainsburys, not my sainsbury's local that i pop to en route from the station. i'm so lazy

amanda

Edensoy has always been my favorite, but lately I've been buying Hemp milk because it has a ton of health benefits: lots of calcium, B12, protein. It doesn't taste nearly as good though.

Quote angelamc View Post
    I really like Silk and 8th continent soy milk but I heard a rumor that White Wave (the manufacturer) is racist and white power! Has anyone else ever heard of this? It seems pretty crazy!
    I've never heard that bout white wave. That seems like a rather outrageous sort of claim. It hardly seems substantiated.

Now... with 8th continent... their "vitamin D" actually comes from lanolin, which is made from wool, and therefore not strictly vegan. I don't trust 8th Continent.
    context is everything

What?!? Lanolin in my soymilk!?! What is this world coming to?!?

What brand of almond milk does everyone drink? I had a trader joes brand almond milk once and I thought it was terrible. But I am willing to try again since so many people on this thread sing the praises of almond milk. I don't like gritty texture, though...

Quote angelamc View Post
    What brand of almond milk does everyone drink? I had a trader joes brand almond milk once and I thought it was terrible. But I am willing to try again since so many people on this thread sing the praises of almond milk. I don't like gritty texture, though...
    They put it in chocolate oatly and fortified oatly too which sucks! Talk about alienating a core audience.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I'm bummed about the carrageenan warning...I love the mocha and pumpkin spice flavors of Silk soy milk. I do try to limit my consumption to one serving per day because I don't want to overdose on soy.

Mmmmm mocha and pumpkin spice Silk. I've never seen those up here!

I prefer Vitasoy's 'Calcium Plus' soymilk, made from Australian whole organic soybeans no GM, and it is fortified with some vitamins including B12.
    Eve

I don't like soya milk, but quite like Rice Dream on cereal---and my parrot loves it so I keep getting it I bought the almond and hazlenut one by mistake last week and it is really delicious---can drink that by the glass
    I do what I can and that's better than doing nothing

cherrywisp

I never drank milk anyway because I thought it was nasty,
    but if I have something that calls for milk I'd use rice milk first, then soy.
    I just like the rice milk more.

When I have the time to make it, I really like almond milk the best. Most recipes that I use for some reason always call for rice or soy though...I've found that almond works better then both (it also has a sweeter taste).

ivandurago

I like Soy milk the best followed closely by rice milk, actually I really don't have a preference between the two

Tried just about every brand of soy milk there is (in the US) and most were pretty nasty, until I found Westsoy Plain http://www.westsoy.biz/products/plus.php
    It doesn’t have that flour like taste most soy milks have. I can get it at my local market http://www.followyourheart.com/about.php
    Trader Joe’s and that evil grocery store Whole Foods carry it as well. Eden soy and Pacific are the only other drinkable ones I’ve found, but Westsoy is by far the best I’ve tasted.

Silk is eeeeevile! I wouldn't support the dairy industry by buying this crap, even though their coffee creamers were pretty good, they are still owned by the biggest dairy suppliers in the world: DEAN foods, ick!
    Pacific makes other stuff with chickens, cows, secretions etc. so I wouldn’t support those prix either.

I tried hemp milk for the first time yesterday. I tried the chocolate flavour and I hated it. It tasted like thick chocolate milk with a heavy grass flavour. It literally turned my stomach.

whoa what!? HEMP milk? i've never heard of this before, do explain...

Quote domenique View Post
    Silk is eeeeevile! I wouldn't support the dairy industry by buying this crap, even though their coffee creamers were pretty good, they are still owned by the biggest dairy suppliers in the world: DEAN foods, ick!
    Pacific makes other stuff with chickens, cows, secretions etc. so I wouldn’t support those prix either.
    I just realized this today when reading on another website! I had know idea that Dean owned Whitewave!

Is that Westsoy brand that you suggested from a non-dairy supplying company?
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I was really shocked when I found White Wave on the Dean Foods site … they’re buying out the competition.

As far as I know WestSoy is still safe.

Wildwood is another good one
    http://www.wildwoodfoods.com/index.php
    Awesome products, and the only edible yogurt I’ve found (not just edible but damn tasty). Their creamers are great, very rich ... a once in a while food
    But I've never found their Soymilk, I'd like to try it.

I generally prefer soya milk, and buy Alpro. Overall I really, really like nut milks, but they're really expensive and not very good for you in comparison.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

I like Vitasoy, (I use it the most) and almond milk.
    Has anyone tried Hemp milk and liked it ? What does it taste like?

JC

I think rice milk has a funny taste to it. I'm a big Alpro soya fan - especially the light one, it's so creamy! And they have such a good range on everything else milk-related - milkshakes, desserts, yogurts, custard.... i love Alpro la la la la la...

Default Which milk is best?

I am trying to read over the forums some of these posts are so old I am not sure what is right. So anyways I want to make sure I am drinking a safe milk. Right now I am drinking 8th continent Light Soymilk which by the ingredients looks safe. I do like Silk Soymilk Fat free as well but couldnt find that when I was shopping.
    Thanks for helping out a new vegan on products
    Last edited by Korn; May 19th, 2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Which milk is best?

thank you, I will try and look for this today.

My favorite is also Rice Dream (I drink enriched vanilla). I do find that soy is better for baking though...its not quite so thin.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

It depends on exactly what you want. For cereal, I like the Rice Dream already suggested. For baking, I use whatever the recipe recommends. For smoothies and drinking, I like Almond Breeze. It's creamy and tasty.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

i have to admit i wasn't a fan of the rice milk i tried, but it wasn't rice dream brand. i enjoy my wild harvest soy milk as well as silk light.

I'm not a big fan of rice milk, though I do enjoy rice milk icecream

In tea I use a 50/50 mixture of soya milk ("Alpro" sweetened) and Rice Milk ("Rice Dream"). I just looove "Rice Dream", but it does tend to be a bit watery in tea. The soya milk gives it added 'creaminess'.

A few months ago my local supermarket stocked "Rice Dream with Soya" which was ace. Unfortunately it disappeared from the shelves very rapidly and I have never seen it again.

I like oatmilk quite a bit
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

OMG OMG zen soy!!!!! I live off the cappuccino travel pack in the morning... and I love their products. I started eating the banana pudding too!!! love it love it love it.
    http://www.zensoy.com/products.html

I drink rice milk.
    Sometimes I'll drink chocolate soy milk, but I hate that beany taste afterwards. better for cooking as (like someone said earlier) it's thicker than rice milk. I've never tried almond milk.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.