View Poll Results: What do you use instead of animals milk - if you use a replacement?

Voters
413. You may not vote on this poll
  • Soya milk

159 38.50%
  • Sweetened soya milk

77 18.64%
  • Almond milk

43 10.41%
  • Hazelnut milk

5 1.21%
  • Rice milk

43 10.41%
  • Quinoa drink

1 0.24%
  • Oat drink

24 5.81%
  • Other

12 2.91%
  • Combinations (ie. rice + soy milk)

33 7.99%
  • I don't feel a need to replace animals milk with something else

16 3.87%
  • Added June 2011: Sunflower milk

0 0%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Favorite vegan milk alternatives

Default Re: Which milk is best?

My son and I were drinking soy milk, but we've changed over to rice milk.

I drink rice milk and occasionally a soy/ricemilk combo from Edensoy.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Ok, I've tried Rice Dream, Soya milk and Almond milk now, and I hated them all. I really miss my cereal with trail mix and berries every morning, but it just makes me retch and I can't eat it dry. Any ideas?

Quote Carrie View Post
    Ok, I've tried Rice Dream, Soya milk and Almond milk now, and I hated them all. I really miss my cereal with trail mix and berries every morning, but it just makes me retch and I can't eat it dry. Any ideas?
    Have you tried red organic Provamel soya milk? The red one is the only one that works for me.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Quote Carrie View Post
    Have you tried the Alpro Light?....it's very nice, doesn't have the aftertaste that comes with some of the other milks
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Thanks guys I will give those a whirl next Now have to find a vegan margarine/spread I like too!

Smile Re: Which milk is best?

Quote Carrie View Post
    Have you tried oat milk? 'Oatly' is really nice. Avoid 'Oat Supreme' - it's horrible. I think there is also a 'chufa milk' from some weird and wonderful plant. I bought some around a year ago, I think from Holland & Barrett, but someone at work pinched it!

Default Re: Favorite vegan milk substitues

Just remember - only the organic Oatly is vegan. The others contain Vitamin D3.

What soy milks have you tried, carrie? I've found that every single one varies massively.

Default Re: Favorite vegan milk substitues

i mostly use soy milk, especially those from sojasun.

for snacks or when i need a treat, almond or hazelnut milk .

coconut milk is kept for desserts.

i tried rice and quinoa milks and i must say i don't like them much. apart from a quiche or anything salty that might need milk in the recipe, i don't use them.

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    Have you tried red organic Provamel soya milk? The red one is the only one that works for me.
    Thank you so much for that idea, its great! It also comes in small cartons at my local Waitrose so I won't be wasting any either, as I only have it on cereal and the odd Caro drink a few times a week. Thanks!

Default Re: Favorite vegan milk alternatives

I'm glad Carrie.
    I really like it.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

I would try other milks because i have found them now, I didn't before.....but they cost a but much for 1 litre. So I stick to my Soya. I think it sucks the oat and rice milks i've found we're something over a quid everywhere I looked....even some of the soyas. Think it's a silly price. They won't even last over 2 days if you like cereal.

I drink hempmilk yums...
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

songlife

Quote Carrie View Post
    Rice milk is absolutely my #1 choice, but Rice Dream is NARSTY. Some incredibly lovely rice milks that don't suck and are organic (unlike Rice Dream) yet are the same price, include Ryza, Natura, and Yu. They all taste very different from each other. You can get them in vanilla or original and sometimes chocolate. Normally I don't see the chocolate, and I get the vanilla but I also like original. Ryza is more "grainy" and fresh seeming, Natural is more thick an creamy kinda, and I've recently fallen in love with it, and Yu is really interesting cause it has cereal actually made into it I think, giving it a really cool texture. I'd happily buy any of those 3 brands if I find them. I haven't tried others. I did also try Rice Dream too at one point (at a friend's house, cause when I was in the store and saw the others were organic, there was no competition) and thought it tasted bad. Hope that helps a bit I've also heard a lot of people telling me they love hemp milk and almond milk so I'd give those a try.

songlife

I don't consider vegan milks as "alternatives" or "substitutes", just like hemp protein isn't a "substitute" for meat protein. It's quite different from mock meat. Here's my reasoning:

• it's quite reasonable to make milk from things like rice and nuts and whatever else, regardless of if someone's trying to be vegan or not. I'm sure other cultures at distant points in time, before the dairy industry absolutely took dominion over everything, had made milk from all sorts of stuff... I'm sure the Incas made milky products from quinoa at one point.
    • I never drank milk (from animals) before because I thought it tasted horribly mucusy and just gross in general. Also because I'm a singer and dairy will build mucus in your vocal chords.
    • Now that I'm vegan I DO drink rice milk very often, even though I never drank animal milk when I was an omni. It doesn't give my throat mucus issues and it tastes fresh and lovely like animal milk never did.
    animal milk and non-animal milk are COMPLETELY different products and I don't think it's fair to say that one's a substitute for the other. I don't consider the food I consume to be a substitute, I consider it to be the real deal!

Quote songlife View Post
    Rice milk is absolutely my #1 choice, but Rice Dream is NARSTY. Some incredibly lovely rice milks that don't suck and are organic (unlike Rice Dream) yet are the same price, include Ryza, Natura, and Yu. They all taste very different from each other. You can get them in vanilla or original and sometimes chocolate. Normally I don't see the chocolate, and I get the vanilla but I also like original. Ryza is more "grainy" and fresh seeming, Natural is more thick an creamy kinda, and I've recently fallen in love with it, and Yu is really interesting cause it has cereal actually made into it I think, giving it a really cool texture. I'd happily buy any of those 3 brands if I find them. I haven't tried others. I did also try Rice Dream too at one point (at a friend's house, cause when I was in the store and saw the others were organic, there was no competition) and thought it tasted bad. Hope that helps a bit I've also heard a lot of people telling me they love hemp milk and almond milk so I'd give those a try.
    We only get Rice Dream over here.

i like Rice Dream. i get through loads of the stuff.

Provamel rice drink on the other hand, is utterly disgusting.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Soy milk, although I haven't tried rice or almond milk yet... I should. Which of the two are better almond or rice?

personally i prefer rice milk because i think it has a milder taste, as long as it's not one of the brands with added flavouring which i don't like.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Almond milk all the way baby!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I love Living Harvest Hempmilk Vanilla. SOOOO good!! When I cook or bake I do use soy milk.

millet one isn't bad
    Life is about having to change ... Taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

vegan cookies dipped in chocolate soy milk

Or Rice dream on cereal

Bonsoy, in my opinion is by far the best tasting soy milk available and I have only recently discovered it It doesn't have that "beany" taste and isn't too rich and creamy, but not watery either.

Still going on 4 years I hold on to my opinion about vegan cheese....WRONG Although I wasn't a fan of cow cheese anyway so i don't miss or need it.

I usually go for a sorbet over ice cream, but I find that if I am eating chocolate cake or apple crumble, I love to have vanilla soy ice cream with it...So Good Brand is really good, but I want to try the Turtle Mountain one. I have tried their cookie avalanche one and that is delicious.

Almond Milk I haven't tried but I have a carton of it in the cupboard and I will get around to it...I keep forgetting about it but I have just eaten breakfast so i am not going to do it now lol

There is an Aussie tradition involving these biscuits called Tim Tams - if you are familliar with Australian culture you have probably heard of these or tried them in your pre-vegan days. One of the happiest days of my life was discovering a vegan version of them (I still worship the brand Leda for bringing this joy to my world) because now I can embrace my culture by biting each end and using it as a straw to drink my vitasoy vanilla soy milk (it is traditionally done with plain cow)

Chocolate almond breeze is hot chocolate waiting to happen. I'm just sayin' :P

I normally have So Good plain on cereal. I don't use it for baking, drinking, dunking, tea/coffee diluting. Just cereal, and not too often at that.

Quote kaLi View Post
    I love Living Harvest Hempmilk Vanilla. SOOOO good!! When I cook or bake I do use soy milk.
    I used the chocolate Living Harvest hemp milk, and put it in my ice tray with some small banana pieces and made some delicious, low-calorie frozen treats that were very easy to make. The best thing was that it wasn't frozen very hard, but would give, even after two hours in the freezer.

Oh, and I also like rice milk and soy milk too. Haven't tried almond milk - yet.
    Last edited by Quantum Mechanic; Nov 21st, 2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: hit reply too soon

I have used so good soya milk for years and just recentloy they have "improved" the recipe. It is gloopier which I didn't like and as that ws the only problem I carried on with it. Today I had to throw out 3 cartons. Two were unopened. All were severely curdled. I have emailed the company but I want a decent sweetened alternative. I make my own almond milk sometimes but I need something for convenience as well.

I have tried rice milk which is ok but watery and the oat milk is ok too but not something I would want all the time I don't think. Any ideas or should I just try them all and hope that I can find a good alternative that way?

I have tried alpro but it continually curdles in hot drinks and that was annoying to unless they have changed it...
    Last edited by vava; Sep 20th, 2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: forgot to say...
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

I use chocolate silk soy milk on my cerial and to just drink. I cant tell the difference from regular cow milk.
    I am the Devil, and I'm here to do the Devils work.

Quote Panzer View Post
    I use chocolate silk soy milk on my cerial and to just drink. I cant tell the difference from regular cow milk.
    I shall get some of that to try when I am in the states in october but I dont think you can get it over here I tried the chocolate alpro or so good - I can't remember which but it was v chemically yeeewww!

I just love oat milk!

hmmmm - perhaps i need to re-visit oat milk

Quote vava View Post
    I shall get some of that to try when I am in the states in october but I dont think you can get it over here I tried the chocolate alpro or so good - I can't remember which but it was v chemically yeeewww!
    Chocolate Alpro is lovely!

Plain soya milk is my favorite and also home made almond milk with dates and cocoa powder.

Default What is your favourite brand of milk (non-soya?)

Hey guys,

Was just wondering what everyone's fav. brand of rice/oat (or any other alternative that isn't soya) milk is? Preferably ones that can be bought in supermarkets? I recently done a home food intolerance test and as well as cow's milk and whole eggs, I also reacted mildly to soya bean and gluten. When I first went vegan 2 years ago the only milk I could stomach was tesco's own brand sweetened soya. I've gotten used to it now and use it everyday. But I was thinking of excluding my main sources of soya for a while to see if it makes any difference to me. I have to say most of my symptoms disappeared when the dairy did but I just wanted to try cutting out soya and seeing how I felt. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by Korn; Feb 1st, 2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: What is your favourite brand of milk (non-soya?)

I'm in the US but I'm enjoying Almond Breeze (unsweetened) almond milk right now. I gave up soy recently and was surprised to find I like almond milk even better than soy milk in my tea. And I have almond milk very successfully in a couple of recipes too.

^ Almond Breeze is fantastic.

I have a lot of food intolerances as well (though not soy). Rice Dream works great for me. It's very mild on the digestive system, in my experience.

I have Organic Oatly in my Porridge. I don't bother with milks in anything else, but this makes the Porridge really creamy without adding any other flavours. I would like to give nut flavoured rice milk a try in it though.

Talking Re: What is your favourite brand of milk (non-soya?)

I'm in Ireland so I most likely get the same brands of milk that you get in the UK.
    I love Provamel rice milk! I use it in smoothies and on my porridge. I much prefer it to Rice Dream. Rice Dream is easier to get in the supermarket but I still manage to get the Provamel one in my local supermarket.
    Strangely enough I also like the Tesco own brand soya milk, I prefer it to Alpro!
    I've tried the oat milk and almond milk, they're nice but I can only get them in the health food shop and they can be quite expensive.

RubyDuby

another vote for Almond Breeze.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Also, I tried the nut-flavoured rice milk, I wasn't too fond of it.
    I thought it tasted too much of nut extract. But then maybe that's my wierd tastebuds.

I like all kinds of soy milks. Some brands are better than others. For a while, I was buying the Canadian brand So Nice but recently started buying generic (President's Choice for the Canadians). I like it!

Almond milk is good, but it's too expensive for me to buy on a regular basis. I go through about 1-2 cups of non-dairy milk a day and plus my mom drinks it too.

I haven't tried rice milk in years. I'm willing it give it another shot. There is a refridgerated Canadian brand now. I must investigate!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

My local Tesco has just started stocking coconut milk, not the canned stuff, but stuff for use as a milk replacement. I can't remember the brand name, but it states its suitability for vegans. It's fairly expensive (1.29 a litre) but it's really nice.

I have never drank milk in cofee/tea so I can't comment on this side of things, but it's really nice to make hot chocolate with.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Do any milks...other than non-soya have calcium and B vitamins in?? As how do vegans who are allergic get their calcium/b vitamins, as I want to cut down on soya...and just have the yoghurts and cut down on the milk.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Almond Breeze!!!*drool*

*To witchymagic, I've seen a number of alternate "milks" that contain calcium and B vitamins, although as they do not 'naturally' contain them they are fortified. I'd recommend fortified almond milk on account of it being delicious! (Although useless for making latte foam, I have discovered).

(totally edited this btw, having realized this thread was NOT about favourite flavours of soy, haha)

RubyDuby

I just ordered an espresso machine with part of my tax return money! which makes the best foam? soy milk?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

^^In my experience, yes; I find I can get beautiful foam with soya.

***Ps: I would suggest being careful not to steam for super long though, on account of it burns a lot faster with regular milk, so maybe invest in one of those lovely thermometre thingies?

chocolate oatly amazin
    drank a whole litre this afternoon haha!
    gonna try making my own tommorow and maybe save some money!
    We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

and provamel, more ethical than Alpro apparently x
    We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

Rice Dream or Kara coconut milk.

nommy.