Thread: Markus Rothkranz and the benefits of raw food: a MUST see!!

Default Markus Rothkranz and the benefits of raw food: a MUST see!!

I'm not sure if any of you guys have heard of Markus Rothkranz? He is a raw food ambassador who does concerts all over the world helping people to convert to the raw lifestyle.

If you don't know who he is, here is a quick picture to make your mind go GJFHDGFHGDAFGAYDG

This was Markus BEFORE going raw at the age of 27 and a list of some of the health difficulties he was having. He was born with a weak immune system. By his late 20s he was having heart problems.

This is him at the age of 45, AFTER going on a 100% raw diet. He no longer gets sick and looks and feels younger than he did two decades ago.

Whether you are thinking of going raw, already are raw, or just need some extra inspiration or motivation, I strongly recommend watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3xOU2tLl7g (sorry don't know how to post the video)

I was so inspired that I had to let you all know. I have been raw now for 3 and a half days and have already lost 1.5 kg. I would not call myself a raw foodist, but just a vegan who eats mostly raw. I feel SO energetic and alive. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to promote anyone or anything except being healthy. This is not about losing weight, it's about health and you WILL feel the difference.

Default Re: Markus Rothkranz and the benefits of raw food: a MUST see!!

OMG

I've been eating a lot more raw food recently, completely oblivious to the fact that you run the risk of getting hair like a girl

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    OMG

I've been eating a lot more raw food recently, completely oblivious to the fact that you run the risk of getting hair like a girl
    *GASP* NOO he has awesome hair!!!

lol

well, once i stopped giggling at the 'rock star concert' bit - if he really did that through just raw food and exercice? kudos.

thanks for posting clueless

I think he looks healthier in the first picture, the second picture just looks like he's had a shave, bleached his hair and gone to a tanning salon (skin cancer isn't healthy).

The video was all very anecdotal and really unscientific, claiming that we should eat apples because it's alive and if you planted it an apple tree would grow and not eat pasta because if you planted that it would go mouldy... pasta is made from flour which comes from living plants - are they saying that if you liquidised an apple it's no longer healthy? Should we eat chickens? they're living.

I'd also like to know what these 'health problems' and if they were self diagnosed.

His website claims '80 is NOT a normal lifespan' - and he's right, 80 is a very high lifespan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:L...d_Factbook.PNG
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

There's another video on YouTube where he talks about being the "Pied Piper of the raw food movement" Does that mean if you follow him you'll disappear without trace?

Sorry, clueless, perhaps we're being a mite unconstructive here

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    OMG

AND your skin turns to leather.

I've been trying to go raw, its extremely HARD!!! i give kudos to everyone that has been able to do it. i've gone about a week so far.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote Risker View Post
    I think he looks healthier in the first picture, .
    He was nearly 20 years younger in it mind you!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Wow. These are really interesting perspectives. Maybe I just get convinced easily

Quote Risker View Post
    His website claims '80 is NOT a normal lifespan' - and he's right, 80 is a very high lifespan.
    Well, he claimed that there are civilisations that live to be 120-130 years old, all because they eat raw food. They climb mountains and have kids after 100. It might sound farfetched but how could you not believe a man who is not out there to promote any company, website or book?

I'm sorry but he seems pretty genuine to me. And if you think that he looked healthier in the first picture *cough cough* then check out these:

http://www.shazzie.com/raw/transformation/

There is also a video on youtube where people talk about what Markus has done for them, and there was this one lady who had a 4 pound tumour in her brain that went away because of raw food. Another had seen people being sent home to die of cancer and in a matter of months they were up and running because of going raw. If you don't believe me, then here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA1CN9WvVJ8

Wow. I'm still struggling to believe that I have to convince vegans that raw food is healthy...

I love Shazzie.

don't worry clueless we all agree that raw food is healthy...we just enjoy being difficult.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

The oldest verified person was Jeanne Calment of France, she lived to 122. (Note that verified means proven, not just said by someone in a youtube video)

She reportedly attributed her longevity and relatively youthful appearance for her age to olive oil, which she said she poured on all her food and rubbed onto her skin, as well as a diet of port wine, and nearly 2 pounds of chocolate eaten every week.[7] Jeanne Calment smoked until she was 117, and only quit when she could no longer see well enough to light the cigarettes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment

Worlds oldest mother, 70 years old (and that was with IVF treatment) - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...-twins-70.html

Of course raw food is healthy, as is cooked food, I'm not disputing that. But most of these claims being made are anecdotal and to be honest sound like BS. Just because he has nothing to gain it doesn't make him impervious to superstition and doesn't make him a medical or nutritional expert.

EDIT: As for the brain tumor, how the hell would you fit a 4lb tumor in your skull? that's ridiculous. Unless maybe you didn't have a brain...

Yes you do have a point, Risker.

On the other hand, that woman that lived to be 122 just goes to show that anything is possible if she smoked till 117 and ate chocolate all day!!

I'm a believer that you should try something out for yourself before you dispute something, so that's why I'm going mostly raw to see what happens. So far it's been awesome, but you never know, and if it doesn't work out then it doesn't matter. At least I tried. At least I'll know for myself whether Markus is telling the truth.

But thanks for all these different perspectives, they are all very insightful.

The problem with trying it on yourself is that it's a very biased experiment as we all have a tendancy to suffer from placebo effects and confirmation bias so even if you do feel better you won't know for sure if it's given you any positive health improvents at all.

Also, please make sure you are recording everything you eat and the nutrients you are getting, since that is especially difficult on a raw diet.

Thanks Fuhzy. I have been trying to eat as much variety of different foods as possible... but it's all a bit confusing.

Quote Fuhzy View Post
    Also, please make sure you are recording everything you eat and the nutrients you are getting, since that is especially difficult on a raw diet.
    Hi,

Which nutrients are you thinking of (that are especially difficult to get on a raw diet)?

This http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15795346 suggests raw foodists may need to pay special attention to the nutrients involved in maintaining bone density, but it's just one study.

I think I've read more about the possible difficulties of raw fruitarian diets which eliminate e.g. green leafy vegetables.

Quote Risker View Post

His website claims '80 is NOT a normal lifespan' - and he's right, 80 is a very high lifespan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:L...d_Factbook.PNG
    Hi,

that actually depends a lot on where you live...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ife_expectancy
    In several European (and other) countries, living until 79-80 is considered normal.

Anyway - I met a friend I hadn't seen for at least 2-3 years yesterday. He had switched from a near vegan diet to a raw vegan diet, and definitely looked a few years younger now than he did last time I saw him. He had been taking raw food juices with some elements of 'super foods' in them daily for the last three years.

Personally, I feel better after a meal consisting of at least 50% raw food than on a mainly cooked meal. I know others who have the same experience. The effect is instantaneous. Since it seems that most nutrients are better preserved in food that isn't processed/cooked, and if there's some truth the what some raw fooders claim about cooked food requiring more energy to digest, I wouldn't be surprised if high elements of raw food will make people look/feel younger (than others on mainly cooked/processed diet).

Then again, maybe some people on a raw diet are more focused on health, keeping in good shape and on looking young, so they could be doing other things (eg. be more physically active) which is part of the reason their aging process apparently slows down. Anyway - if people feel better when eating more raw food - why not increase the level of raw elements in their diet even if it won't make them look healthier or younger?
    Last edited by Korn; Aug 22nd, 2008 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Korn View Post
    Hi,

Which nutrients are you thinking of (that are especially difficult to get on a raw diet)?
    Well, I get plenty of calcium (almonds, brazil nuts, sesame seeds, broccolli, etc) and I get enough fibre (apples). I get vitamin C (lots of oranges). I get potassium from bananas. I know that you can get omega 3 from flax and I bought the oil but it was DISGUSTING it made me throw up, so I will buy the seeds and put them into smoothies. I also get protein from greens, plus iron from nuts and beans.

Basically, I think I'm fine, I am just a bit confused about Vitamin B's, such as vitamin B12 in particular.

personally i've never felt any positive effects from eating raw food, but if you want to believe it's a miraculous cure-all then go ahead
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Korn View Post
    Hi,

that actually depends a lot on where you live...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ife_expectancy
    In several European (and other) countries, living until 79-80 is considered normal.
    Which is exactly what the link I posted stated, the '80 years is not normal' statement is Markus Rothkranz comparing Americans lifespans to the rest of the world. The point is that 80 years is on the high end of average life expectancy worldwide. The world average according to the CIA factbook is 65.82 years so 80 is definately nothing to complain about.

The highest average life expectancy worldwide is only 83.5 years, not the 100+ that Markus Rothkranz makes out.

Whether you are thinking of going raw, already are raw, or just need some extra inspiration or motivation, I strongly recommend watching this
    Hi,
    I'm afraid that for many people, this appears like a traditional, commercial ad with little foundation in real facts or convincing effect...

The highest average life expectancy worldwide is only 83.5 years, not the 100+ that Markus Rothkranz makes out.
    83.5 is related to 'country', he speaks about 'culture', doesn't he? (Not that I'm in any way impressed with his/their presentation of 'raw'...)

Quote Korn View Post
    Hi,
    I'm afraid that for many people, this appears like a traditional, commercial ad with little foundation in real facts or convincing effect...
    I think the reason why he presents raw food like this is because unfortunately, it is the only way that most people would respond to something. If people see a documentary or something as opposed to good looking people and flashy lights hollywood style, which do you think they would respond to? Although I agree it's not completely morally appropriate, it has more of a chance of appealing to a wider variety of people if they make going raw "fashionable". And for that reason, I'm all for it.

*sigh* I'm starting to think I shouldn't have posted this up...

I hope you dont regret posting on here. I think a lot of us are weary of raw foodism. I've tried it a few times. I'm always left vv weak, fatigued, with sore muscles and headaches. It isn't a cure-all. That's what's so frustrating for me personally. I dont think raw foodism will do most of what people claim. Some of the people on a raw forum I used to visit were seriously off their rockers, eating like mangoes only for weeks at a time. I think you have to be very careful when only eating raw foods. The amont of greens you have to eat to get your iron, etc is insane. And maybe I was just too ill to so it anyway.That said, I do believe it can be beneficial for some people. It seems like you're looking at it from a good perspective. Good luck
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I love Markus Rothkranz, he is such an inspiration to me. I loved it when he said (and it's completely true) that he went vegetarian he still got sick, then he went vegan and still got sick and then he went raw-vegan and he got the perfect health. Because vegans don't eat meat and dairy products they still eat soy, cookies, cakes, chips, bread and stuff like that that is bad for you.

I can't understand why people say it's extremely hard to get all the nutrition you need from raw food? Where's the logic here? You take an apple, which is full of vitamins and you eat it, get it all inside, or you take an apple, cook it, destroy all the enzymes and vitamins and then say you get all the nutrition from it? No.. when you take an apple and put it under the under the ground a tree grows, when you cook it and put it under ground, nothing happens. Same effect on your body.

Crusty Rat

^ I thought apple seeds contained arsenic?

Close, it's cyanide.

You can leave the seeds out.

^ But then if you put it in the ground it wouldn't grow.

Clueless you have done a tremendous act posting this up, now is the moment where you can grow your awareness.
    After reading this thread, some have remained objective with the matter and observed with detail what you have posted. Some have dissected and have provided you with more questions than answers!
    There is no one way, to do things, and there is no way currently to see how good you will look in 20 yrs time! Wouldn't that be swell though? Or maybe it wouldn't.
    Follow your heart, have a keen-ness to learn, and have strength to try!
    Please post further findings.
    I have learnt from this thread, I pray you do too.
    Thank you for your post, without, none of this would have happened.

Following a vegan lifestyle will lead you into quite a bit of raw food by the way, maybe not the 70-80-90-100 percentiles.
    It is a great place to start, kudos for making the transition into a non-violent diet. Thank you again.

OM Shanti Shanti Shanti