Thread: Mushroom stock

Default Mushroom stock

Anyone know of a good one that's vegan?
    In NZ there is only one mushroom stock that I can find, and it's delicious, then we discovered we'd purchased it mistakenly and it actually had milk product in it (oh hell....) anyway, so it's out on it's arse, but the only vegan stocks we can find are vegetable based, rather than mushroom.
    Any suggestions?
    When the water is still, it can behold the moon.

Default Re: Mushroom stock

I don't know where you can buy premade mushroom stock, but you can make it homemade. It seems easy enough. I just Googled "mushroom stock".

MUSHROOM STOCK

Use this stock as a base for mushroom soup or a mushroom sauce. For the latter, deglaze the pan with some of the stock after sautéing the protein. Then add sautéed mushrooms and either reduce the fluid or add flour to make a gravy.

1 lb sliced mushrooms.
    1 onion, roughly chopped
    2 garlic cloves
    2-3 cloves
    1 bay leaf
    2-3 sprigs of thyme
    Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté the mushrooms in butter or olive oil until just browned, or lay them out on a large sheet tray and bake at 375 until browned.

Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, cloves, bay leaf, and thyme to a stockpot.

Add just enough water to cover the mushrooms and simmer for two hours.

Check it periodically to see if you need to add water. Add as little as necessary.

Strain the stock, simmer for another 10-15 minutes to reduce and concentrate it further and then season with salt and pepper.

And another variation:
    MUSHROOM STOCK

Yield: 6 servings

* 1/2 oz dried mushrooms
    * 1 1/2 cups hot water
    * 1 teaspoon olive oil
    * 1 large onion, chopped
    * 2 carrots, diced
    * 2 celery stalks, diced
    * 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
    * 2 garlic cloves, chopped
    * 1/2 teaspoon thyme
    * 2 teaspoons salt
    * 9 cups water

Shake the dried mushrooms in a sieve to loosen the forest dirt. Soak in the hot water. Heat oil in soup pot, and add onions, celery, and carrots. Saute over medium heat until the onion is well browned, 15 minutes. Add the dried mushrooms and their soaking liquid, the remaining ingredients, and 9 cups of water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes. Strain.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

pavotrouge

That complicated recipes o.O I use a stock made of shiitake mushrooms and konbu whenever I've got the time to prepare it for Japanese dishes.

There is an Asian brand, however, I think from Thailand, which is vegan...gotta look up the name next time at my Asian grocers'.

In the UK Kallo make vegan mushroom stock cubes. Dunno what the postage would be like, guess they're quite light though.

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    I use a stock made of shiitake mushrooms and konbu whenever I've got the time to prepare it for Japanese dishes.
    Indeed - you don't even need to use konbu - just pour boiling water over dried shiitake and wait 30 mins. I've not tried this method for european types like porcini, but i'd have thought it works.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock