Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor vegan, cheap living

Default Re: Poor vegan, cheap living

I often frequent local Asian Markets (which, as you have seen, is mentioned several times) in this thread. The hours are convenient, though not 24-hours, and you become a "customer" instead of a shopper. Anyhow, with three bags of groceries, mostly fresh produce, frozen Malaysian bread, and savory tofu - - all under $30.00 - which can last me two weeks, easily.

=)
    She died the way she lived; ugly.

I love going to Asian markets too. Their fresh produce, veggies, soy milk, and tofu are always much cheaper than regular supermarkets. There are some things I do not like. For instance, the stench of death everywhere (they often have large fish markets and often with live fish), the butcher shop is wide open for everyone to see, and a lot of packaged foods do not have English on them (making it hard to see if a certain item is vegan).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Dried beans are an odvious one, and cooking absolutely everything from scratch.
    Also eat fruit depending on what is on offer, if there's a greengrocers near, then use it, as it is much cheaper than supermarkets.

Cook in batch and freeze food, so when your broke, you can always dig something tasty and home cooked out of the freezer (pasta sauces, chilli, and even fajita filling and tortillas freeze very well) Also keep frozen veg in there (brocolli for instance).

Qaxt

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get greens cheaply? I'm not really in a tight spot (yet), because my parents still pay for my food... but if I start having a nice big green salad every day for lunch, that'll get expensive with the greens the prices they are.... How much cheaper would it be to buy greens individually instead of bags/cartons of them?

Here at any rate, it does work out cheaper to buy lettuces or bunches of watercress rather than those bags of salad leaves, and it's nicer and probably healthier as well. In addition you can use just part of the lettuce/watercress and keep the rest for next day, which doesn't work so well with the bagged ones as they tend to go limp once opened.

Of course there are other greens apart from salad. Cabbage, kale and so on is usually pretty cheap here and I was reading that the price of broccoli had actually gone down recently.

Another possibility is to grow your own - outside this would only work at certain times of the year but inside you can sprout seeds year round. Haven't costed it but I imagine it is quite affordable because a little seed produces quite a lot of sprouts.

qaxt, like harpy said you can sprout indoors which provides an excellent source of green nutrients or sow outside in the ground or pots, winter greens like winter savoury, which can still be sown now.

do you know anyone who grows on an allotment or plot? could you trade some greens from them for a favour/work on their plot in return?

treaclemine

So ... does anyone here who reckons they're eating a pretty balanced vegan diet on a budget, have an idea how much they are spending per month on food? We did a straw poll, not counting any time we eat out as a treat, but including 6p a day for a Veg 1 supplement ... it came out around UKP 70 per person per month as the best anyone was managing. We also reckoned that vegan food may have gone up by as much as 25% in the past year - this in the UK, obviously.

Anyone else?

cobweb

i have been spending up to £150 per WEEK lately on food/toiletries for 3 large people and a large dog (2 vegans, 1 almost vegan, 1 omni dog who eats a lot of vegan stuff)
    i am horrified!
    i have to cut down asap, and yes i do believe that a lot of food has gone up by around 20% over the last year

BlackCats

I would say realistically that we spend about £170- £200 every two weeks on food/ toiletries for 1 vegan (who eats a lot!) one omni (who eats about one meal a day) and 5 (sometimes 6) cats. For a year I used to budget a lot but since March I haven't been paying attention that much to how much things cost but I know that our food bill from a supermarket every fortnight used to be about £80 and now it's about £110. I am going to try and budget more next time and look at the value items as some of these are vegan.

to be honest i haven't been keeping track of how much i've been spending on food, but i have noticed that when i go to the wholefood shop, what was costing me about £20 a few months ago is now coming out nearer £30 for the same sort of shopping

I don't like to add it up as I'm not all that frugal really. However our Woodfield Organics fruit and veg box hasn't gone up in price since we started with them last autumn/winter and doesn't seem to have any less in it (though obviously it's hard to compare between seasons).

I read somewhere that some supermarket prices have mainly gone up as a result of distribution costs (petrol) rather than their paying farmers more for their stuff.

I spent around £50 - £80 per week on food, inclusive of household cleaning products & toiletries for a single person, too much money...but food has gone up so much!

Here in Australia, for 2 vegans (my husband is just vegetarian, but vegan at home) and an omnivore dog, we spent $200 per week
    Holy Crap! I don't know what is going to happen when our baby starts eating solids

For 2 people and 1 dog we spend approx €170/pw on food and anything else we need for the house. We both work at home though so we're eating 3 meals a day each - I don't know how much difference that makes. We don't go crazy buying lots of rubbish, nor do we skimp on food - we try to eat as well as possible, and the money saved on medicines and just having good health makes it well worth it IMO. If only I could persuade my OH to go vegan

pavotrouge

that's really cheap, fiamma, and I'm known for my really low shopping spendings.

I often cook for guest and buy 80% organic foods. If I make a meal plan and stick to it, I spend around 20-25 € a week, otherwise 25€-30€, sometimes more.
    So I'd say I'm spending 100-140 € a month, including eating out (and I eat out somewhere at least twice a month).

Cheap... really??
    But we spend in a week what you spend in a month...

I just can't help feeling we spend a heck of a lot of money - I blame the OH and the meat he buys...

My mother spends a lot on groceries. She buys all the groceries for 4 people (herself, my dad, and my two teen brothers--all omni) and anywhere from 25%-50% of my groceries (depending if I ask her specifically or not). She definitely spends more than $200 a week. She does buy a lot of junky food IMO (cookies, chips, frozen pizzas, frozen meals...) and her grocery bill could be cut down a lot. For some reason, she likes to go to the Middle Eastern store to get her beans, tahini, bulgur, and dried fruits when she could easily get them at the supermarket or bulk store for much cheaper.

I personally spend $20-$100 a week on groceries. It really all depends what my mother bought. I do spend a lot of money on fake meats and specialty foods which I don't *really* need.

When I was in Toronto, I was spending $100 a week on groceries for my boyfriend and me as well as over $100 eating out. I went through so much money there!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

pavotrouge

Quote fiamma View Post
    Cheap... really??
    But we spend in a week what you spend in a month...

I just can't help feeling we spend a heck of a lot of money - I blame the OH and the meat he buys...
    oops! I didn't realise the "pw" but still, you're 2 and a half, so it's not too bad.

I spend about £50 per month on food (around $90US I believe) for just me. If you look at what I eat on the what did you eat today thread (don't post often but eat the same kind of foods) you will see I eat rather well on that. Alot of fruit, veg, wholegrain and pulses.

Rakey I agree that food has gone up alot. Last year the same kind of items would have cost around £40 per month so that is a 25% increase .
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

i dont have much money but i find it exciting and fun to find creative ways to reduce my spending/dependence on money. some of the things i do:

-buy clothing/shoes strictly from thrift shops. so much more fun than regular shopping in my opinion, and you can find such cool stuff for barely anything.
    -not owning a car. if possibly get a used bike and/or walk as much as possible. you will be more fit too! i want to move to a place with less suburban sprawl in the near future so this method becomes even easier.
    -using a drying rack, washing clothing with cold water, wearing things over again (spray with febreeze helps, hehe)
    -rarely ever eating out
    -finding cheap/free fun hobbies (hiking, camping with friends, messing around on used instruments, hanging out at parks, sitting at coffee house for hours conversing about anything and everything, listening to music, cooking at home (instead of going out), not drinking hardly ever, going on cheap day long adventures to anywhere and everywhere)
    -not using expensive skin care products. water actually is an awesome cleanser combined with a wash cloth.
    -saving change in a jar

ill add more when i think of them

cobweb

good tips, samariah - personally i wouldn't use febreeze, though, don't like the thought of the chemicals.

I love all your tips for keeping busy for cheap/free Samariah Will be doing lots of that when the baby comes and we are limited...

I am annoyed because I bought organic brown basmati rice for over $8 (500g worth) and it STINKS like mould! It makes me angry when I spend lots of money on what I think is a healthy choice (organic) and it is shit.

Can you take the rice back to the shop, stickydate?

I bought it a couple of weeks ago and I don't have the reciept anymore. People are funny about that sort of stuff here. They are like "prove that you bought it from us"

What a waste

Annoying, that. I always lose receipts, too. I suppose I need a System for keeping them.

Quote stickydate View Post
    I bought it a couple of weeks ago and I don't have the reciept anymore. People are funny about that sort of stuff here. They are like "prove that you bought it from us"

What a waste
    don't suppose you bought it on a card did u? Proof from bank then.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Quote harpy View Post
    Annoying, that. I always lose receipts, too. I suppose I need a System for keeping them.
    four drawer filing cabinet

three drawer filing cabinet

two drawer filing cabinet

single drawer filing drawer

junk drawer

large cardboard box

shoe box

tissue box

effing enormous purse!
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

i really need to get serious about saving money so i need to i need to seriously implement buying only cheap foods and logging how much i spend on food. ive successfully stopped going out to eat but i still rely to much on costly foods. so im going to limit myself from now on to 15 dollars a week. shouldnt be too hard if i rely on cheap staples like dried beans for protein, look for sales, do some foraging, and actually use up whats left in my cupboard.

Quote Qaxt View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get greens cheaply? I'm not really in a tight spot (yet), because my parents still pay for my food... but if I start having a nice big green salad every day for lunch, that'll get expensive with the greens the prices they are.... How much cheaper would it be to buy greens individually instead of bags/cartons of them?
    Local greengrocers are cheaper than the supermarkets, you'll have to prepare the salad yourself, but it will save you loads of money. I find that lemon juice preserves salad quite well.

Jennie

Default Re: The Cheap Thread

Hello there! new(ish) vegan, and brand new to the forum! getting to know my way round it, slowly like! Just been reading some of the threads in this conversation, some of the comments. "dumpster dining?" I never heard of anything so gross, but I sppose most of us, vega or not, have been down the supermarket at the end of the day for the cheapies . . . come on, admit it! I think that having a thread about living cheap is a good idea, I live on benefits, and do sometimes struggle, especially since the cheapest brands of some products, bread, for example, aren't always "vegan friendly", and not all of us have the time/resources to make our own? there is a fab website, certainly for use in the uk, I dunno if I can mention it . . dare me?
    www.isitvegan.info
    yav probly all heard of it, but it's very very helpful, tells us what supermarket branded products are suitable for us, even if they're not labelled as such. Cooking from raw/fresh is, of course, always the cheapest and most cost effective way, but I also find that cooking up a good size slow cooker full of veg and vegan style mince, economical to use, and enough to do a couple of meals, with rice etc, will help keep costs down! Peace, and love to vegans everywhere! Jennie.
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.

i know one could eat really cheaply by relying mainly on things such as grains, legumes, pulses as a base, and then just adding some fruit and veg. my problem is that if i don't consume HUGE amounts of fresh veg, and especially fruit, i just don't feel well. and unfortunately fruit is just about the most expensive vegan item you get, apart from processed foods of course, which i don't include, as i never buy any.
    well, the only processed food that i get is yoghurt, anbd the vegan stuff is incredibly expensive down here.
    i wish there was a cheap way to fruit and yoghurt
    (i'm already buying at local markets instead of supermarkets)
    Piggy

Jennie

Smile Hi Piggy, I wish I could help, do you wanna chat?

Hi Piggy. have just had an email with your latest post on this thread. It's all very well for people to say "eat this", "eat that", or crap about "dumpster dining", but everyone's different. If you say you don't feel well unless you eat a lot of fresh fruit/vegetables, I find that rather worrying. Yes, of course we all need plenty of that sorta thing, but if you're regularly feeling unwell . . . email me honey, or send me a private message, tell me a bit more about your situation, I don't bight, honest! I haven't been a vegan long, but I'd like to try and help you with ideas etc, if I can. It's your call, it can't do any harm. Jennie. xx
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.

^ I don't think piggy means she feels unwell, I imagine she means she doesn't feel her best, and I'm the same, I don't think it's such an uncommon thing, especially among vegans who consume a lot of fruit and veg. Fruit and veg is expensive here, whereas nasty white bread and similar things aren't... go figure

Jennie

I'm genuinely, honestly sorry if I have misinterpreted anything, and hope to god I haven't offended anyone, that's the last thing I want to do. Jennie. xx

Quote harpy View Post
    I have used the same cheap system for many years and it works a treat!
    One large plastic box from pound shop.
    Packet of cheap A4 cardboard folders.
    File things into separate folders i.e bank stuff, receipts, household utilities.
    Label folders.
    Stand folders up in box and put lid on - can be stored anywhere in the house.
    Silent but deadly :p

BlackCats

(I don't think you offended anyone ms.vegan.)

I need to find somewhere for cheaper fruit and veg, I just ordered food from Tesco and I seemed to leave lots of "luxury" stuff off and it still came to £110. I might try Aldi or Asda but they don't deliver (and I'm lazy.)

Quote fiamma View Post
    ^ I don't think piggy means she feels unwell, I imagine she means she doesn't feel her best, and I'm the same, I don't think it's such an uncommon thing, especially among vegans who consume a lot of fruit and veg. Fruit and veg is expensive here, whereas nasty white bread and similar things aren't... go figure
    Exactly, it makes me cross to think that food which is a lot less processed, therefore requiring less labour, is more expensive than the highly processed nasty whiter bread and the likes. not so long ago, vegetables were the poor man's food, but now they're just about more expensive than animal products and definitely more so than refined flours (which on the other hand used to be rich man's food). But of course in sellers' minds, these days people who prefer to eat veg and fruit rather than a big mac, musty be some crazy, mult-bilionaire helth-freak celebrity, and therefore they can pay a lot.

Anyway, thanks for the concern, ms. vegan, but no need to worry.
    as fiamma says,. it's that i just feel a lot healthier if i eat a lot of raw fruit (would it be too much detail to add that not eating lots raw fruit causes symptoms such as bad breath, constipation, gout, general restlessness )

as fiamma says, in italy veg n fruit is more expensive than refined stuff. i'm wondering whether in other countries this is the same? my guess is that this is true for all industrialised counbtries, but maybe less so for less industrialised places.
    Piggy

cobweb

i think it's pretty general, piggy, more annoying somewhere like Italy though where it's warm enough to grow lots of healthy foodstuffs locally.

if we just bought the 'economy' branded, highly refined foods here we could fill ourselves up very cheaply . I suppose refined crap keeps well for a long time so has a good shelf life for the stores.

Jennie

Quote BlackCats View Post
    (I don't think you offended anyone ms.vegan.)

I need to find somewhere for cheaper fruit and veg, I just ordered food from Tesco and I seemed to leave lots of "luxury" stuff off and it still came to £110. I might try Aldi or Asda but they don't deliver (and I'm lazy.)

Jennie

Thankyou BlackCats, the last thing I wanna do is offend anyone, I'm new to this forum, and am friendly, sociable and chatty, not inclined to make enemies! sickens me though, how one can't live on the basics, raw fruit/veg, etc, without needing to take out a mortgage almost, every time ya wanna go shopping? I mean, we always hafta "shop around", and it seems the prices of everything are going up aren't they? The thing that makes me cross also, is that we hafta pay extra for specialist things we need, dairy free this, egg free that, meat free the other . . . it's not fair! we're penalised for trying to help our health, save the animals, and preserve the planet we're living on! Woopse, could start a feisty debate here! Hmm . . . thanks again. Jennie. xx

pavotrouge

Quote piggy View Post
    as fiamma says, in italy veg n fruit is more expensive than refined stuff. i'm wondering whether in other countries this is the same? my guess is that this is true for all industrialised counbtries, but maybe less so for less industrialised places.
    this scares me about moving abroad. in Germany, fresh produce and grains is still about 20-30% cheaper than processed foods.

Don't worry jennie, you haven't offended anyone
    I do realise though after watching today's news that really I'm in a privileged position as far as food goes; a third of the world's population can't afford to feed themselves

Default Re: weight-loss foods that are cheap and filling

i"m off to buy beans and brown rice.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

I've suddenly remembered how I lost 4 stone several years back! I bought truck loads of diet tonic water and drank loads of it all day, for some reason it really kills the appetite *Hemlock running off to Morrisons as we speak*.
    Silent but deadly :p

cobweb

really? did you have it plain? is it good for you?

i want to lose weight right now...............

(i mean this minute, i'm so bored with trying)

what is tonic water? is it that bubbly water?
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

cobweb

no it's bitter stuff with quinine in it, icky!

edit - it is fizzy though, yes

o...i get mineral water sometimes...but it has a flavor...not a good flavor but a flavor none the less.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Well I started eating six times a day, with 3 smaller meals than usual and snacks in between, along with two cups of green tea a day. is it odd to drop 11 pounds in two days? because according to this scale I have. O.o Confused, but not unhappy. Thank you to Amy.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Default Re: The Cheap Thread

Quote stickydate View Post
    I thought it would be a good idea if we had a thread about cheap vegan living. It seems that most of us here are definately not rich, and it would be cool if we could share ideas and tips on how to save money/get by and be a tightass

From the top of my head, things I do to be cheap are:
    - use dried beans, not canned
    - cook from scratch, enough for a couple of days
    - freeze bread and only take it as I need it, so none gets wasted
    - feed Odi leftovers and his own cooked meals made from older unused vegetables from the week, plus rice/barley etc...
    - have an idea what we are going to eat for the week and have a shopping list that we CANNOT stray from
    These are excellent ideas... but given the price of fuel is it really more economical to use dried beans? Does anyone know the answer? I suppose you could boil up masses and freeze for later use... but freezing's not free.... anyone wanna do the mathematics?

Chill leftovers and have a leftover day.
    I have a 'melange soup' with the dregs of my veg box at the end of the week.
    Use stale bread to make things like bakes & puddings.
    Don't throw stuff away because of a blemish or a bit of mould.
    No guru, no method, no teacher