View Poll Results: Do you use a microwave oven when cooking?

Voters
356. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

201 56.46%
  • No

155 43.54%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Microwave ovens

Mahk

Default Re: Microwave ovens

Quote Risker View Post
    Actually, there's many reports that microwaves are a very healthy way to cook vegetables without losing vitamins as opposed to boiling and compared to an electric or gas oven they're very efficient too.
    Agreed. All cooking compromises the vitamin content, I suppose, but Consumer Reports magazine has several level headed links here and one mentions that unlike boiling the nutrients out into the water, with a microwave the vitamins have nowhere to go so more are retained in the food and also benefits because you are "cooking them out" for a shorter period of time with a microwave oven. Click on "microwave safety quiz" and read the answer question #5, "True or false, microwave ovens suck the nutrients out of food?"

Here is a publication that explains how microwave ovens can be harmful. There are plenty of references made to authentic research.

Click here to read the full paper.

Edit: I just realised that this is the article which Cumin mentioned in his post!
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

RE: Sorry but this is an urban legend.
    http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

that website has some very good points. I did find one false statement however:

the website claimed "that there have been some cases in which the use of microwave-heated blood in medical procedures has been cited as causing serious problems, but not because microwave heating "corrupts the DNA." Rather, conventional microwave ovens can heat blood too quickly and/or too unevenly.."

the falsehood in this statement is the part where the website claims that microwaving blood does not corrupt the DNA. that is completely untrue. how do i know that? because i work in a Genomics Analysis Laboratory. [its a PCR (Polymerase chain reaction) production lab]. DNA is extremely unstable. as soon as its exposed to any environment outside of the cell, it denatures, or 'corrupts'. it unwravels and breaks apart. cell membranes are also sensitive, in that, when you heat a cell beyond body (or plant) temperature the cell's membrane breaks open. if you microwave blood, you are forcing that delicate cell membrane open releasing all the cell's organelles including the unprotected 'corrupt' dna fragments.

I am skeptical of any source of information that states 'facts' that i know aren't true. which isn't to claim i know the true answer to the microwaved water experiment... i have not personally done the experiment (or taken that class), but too many variables in an experiment dont make an urban legend.

i'm a little lazy. and i threw away my microwave. will somebody else do this experiment in their own kitchen and report back?

Mahk

I have no doubt that microwaves destroy/corrupt DNA and explode blood cells, but I also have no doubt that DNA and blood cells would equally be destroyed if you held a test-tube of blood over a Bunsen burner's flame or poured the blood on to a red, hot frying pan on the stove. The exact same mechanism is causing the destruction: heat! Since a microwave's heat is "invisible", people incorrectly attribute its destruction of living tissue to "magical, sinister, invisible radiation". What that article was trying to point out, in my opinion, is that due to the nature of how microwave ovens notoriously heat unevenly, they aren't a safe way to "just warm it up a little, I won't boil it, I promise". This exact same danger is why one should never "just warm up" a baby's bottle in a microwave:

And because of the risk of scalding burns, remember to not use a microwave to warm your baby's bottles of formula. A microwave heats things unevenly and can lead to super heated pockets of formula in the bottle which can scald your baby's mouth. Although many parents do use a microwave to heat bottles, then vigorously shake the bottle and test the formula before giving it to their baby, it still isn't a safe practice.

Source of quote here.

Quote uww27225 View Post
    It seems that a lot of Amy's products are suitable only for lacto-vegitarians. Though her black bean burrito is vegan and good. I did purchase her cheese-less frozen pizza, but I haven't had it yet.
    She has a rice-crust spinach pizza with casein-free soy cheeze, and it's very good; I thought the crust was unconventional but great.

And I cooked it in a conventional oven--never a microwave; them is the devil's work!

As soon as I read--on the internet, and if you read it on the internet, it must be true--that microwave ovens destroy nutrients, I decided to stop using them. No excuses, I just never use it anymore. If it weren't for my carnitarian roommate who uses it all the time, I'd throw it out.

Mahk

What's "carnitarian" mean?

Quote Mahk View Post
    What's "carnitarian" mean?
    Well, figure "vegetarian" is vegetable-eater, isn't a "carnitarian" a meat-eater?

(Same way as "carnival" is "saying goodbye to meat"--think Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday.)

Mahk

Carnivores eat meat. A "carnitarian" is perhaps a person who eats people who celebrate at carnival or eats carnies ("Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands." - Austin Danger Powers)!

Default Okay, "meatarian"

In the Urban Dictionary, there's a definition for meatarian; "The exact opposite of vegetarian."

Mahk

I thought it was interesting that at least in the study mentioned here, the vegetables "cooked in the microwave" were also being boiled in over a 1/2 a cup of water. We all know boiling leaches the nutrients out into the water.

I have never used a microwave in my life, although I can't vouch for food cooked for me by others. A good resource for info on microwave dangers is: http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards.htm

Regards
    Phibes

Somebody posted this link before, apparently the mercola guy that writes it is far from the most reliable source.

There's a thread about his work here - http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...hlight=mercola
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Thanks Risker

The Mercola article on the danger of microwaves appears consistent with other articles on the subject and is written in an easy to understand style, which is why I chose it. There are hundreds of thousands of other such articles on the internet if folk on VF don't trust Mercola...

Regards
    Phibes

Quote Dr Phibes View Post
    There are hundreds of thousands of other such articles on the internet if folk on VF don't trust Mercola...
    And you know if you read it on the internet, it must be true!

Quote Risker View Post
    Somebody posted this link before, apparently the mercola guy that writes it is far from the most reliable source.

There's a thread about his work here - http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...hlight=mercola
    Not only is that site not a reliable source (in that they're falsely claiming things to be scientific truths without backing them up with documentation), it's also a clear anti-vegan site - and they now also seem to have employed spammers.... we've seen a number of posts the last couple of days a la 'Don't you just love www.mercola.com for healthy tips?' written by a new member (non-approved member, so the posts never made it to the forum) who is only posting about that mercola-site... The spam started in this thread two days ago, by posting a link to mercola as a reliable source for info on microwave ovens.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

So, as I see it - none of you are saying that Mercola's assertion that microwaves are dangerous is incorrect?!? Or are you saying that microwaves are safe? And if so, on what basis do you make such claims?

I don't think anyone has commented Mercola's viewpoints on microwaves... As you can see from earlier posts, lots of them are very critical about using microwave ovens.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Safe in what way? A gas or electric oven can burn down your house, cause explosions, burn your food to a crisp making it carcinogenic, destroy vitamins in food, burn you...

Mahk

Risker, you're 100% correct.

There is no medical body, school, government, health organization, or consumer advocacy/protection group which advises against the use of modern day microwave ovens or foods cooked in them. But then again, as that Dr. Mercola article points out, they all could be manipulated into suppressing the truth by sinister brain-wave transmissions originating from a secret transmitter located on the dark side of the moon. All the websites that claim microwave ovens pose health risks don't back their claims with science, they use Dr. Mercola's article, instead.

[edit: This was written sarcastically before I gained the information I've posted below.]

Mahk

OMG! I was digging around on the web trying to find out more about the two actual authors of Dr. Mercola's anti-microwave article, Anthony Wayne and Lawrence Newell. This anti-microwave article they wrote seems to be reprinted all over the place but I couldn't find anything on the actual authors or their background. Then I hit the mother lode. The article was originally entitled, "Public Awareness Bulletin #1", or PAB1 for short. David Vemon, writing for The Skeptic, had been on the exact same mission as me back in 2003. What he found out about the questionable "science" behind this article isn't nearly as interesting as the evil politics, hate, and conspiracy theories of the original backers. It's quite shocking:

http://www.skeptics.com.au/journal/2...microwaves.pdf

i stopped eating anything cooked in a microwave about a month and a half ago. its tough since the microwave was so convenient but i am fine with doing a little bit more work

Vegan_baby

I bought a huge micro-convection oven and love it. I may get less vitamins from the food I cook in it but I also don't sit around eating chips and drinking beer all day like many men. I'll stick with my microwave. Without it I would eat almost no veggies and thats not any better.

If you eat a proper balanced diet then you are at no risk from using your microwave.

My father hated microwaves and would never eat a single thing out of one claiming it was horrible for his health. In the meantime he drank and smoked himself to his grave at 50 years old.....

Lets keep our heads...

steven1222

The authors of studies and articles showing that microwave ovens are harmful fall into two main categories: propagandists and quack doctors. There is no reliable evidence to support the conclusion that using microwaves to heat food is dangerous. Any effects on nutrients that are caused by microwaves are caused to a lesser or greater extent by other forms of cooking, and I think it is too restrictive to eat only raw food. I do not cook with a microwave oven frequently, but when I want to buy frozen processed foods and heat them in a microwave oven, I see nothing wrong with doing so.

I do, but not often. I used to microwave everything - back when I was a greasy meat-eater.
    Now I use the microwave for some veggie 'meats' (which I'm trying to stop eating - I'll eat up what I have left, and then not buy anymore), heating Uncle Ben's Bistro Rice (when I'm too lazy to make real rice), heating up frozen veggies, and that's about it. I'll probably start boiling my veggies instead.

Mahk

Actually boiling your vegetables tends to leech out the nutrients even more than than a microwave (unless you consume the water too). At least that's what I've heard. Try steaming instead. It's quicker than boiling any way because you don't have to wait for an entire pot of water to come to a boil, only a half inch instead.

I like that combo micro/convection oven Vegan Baby above mentioned. I sort of do that myself by first microwaving a food and then putting it in my toaster oven for a crispy coating. Quite good for things like frozen waffles (Trader Joes Banana are tops) and "baked" potatoes.

Quote Mahk View Post
    Actually boiling your vegetables tends to leech out the nutrients even more than than a microwave (unless you consume the water too). At least that's what I've heard. Try steaming instead. It's quicker than boiling any way because you don't have to wait for an entire pot of water to come to a boil, only a half inch instead.

I like that combo micro/convection oven Vegan Baby above mentioned. I sort of do that myself by first microwaving a food and then putting it in my toaster oven for a crispy coating. Quite good for things like frozen waffles (Trader Joes Banana are tops) and "baked" potatoes.
    I suppose I'll have to learn to steam. Yeah - my family isn't exactly up to par with modern cooking technology.
    Unfortunately I haven't found any Trader Joes products in Canada, but the oven sounds quite handy.

Mahk

Although I know they make dedicated gizmo's, I use one of these things in a covered pot with a small layer of boiling water just below it:

You can find them in many kitchen supply stores or on Amazon as "stainless-steel expandable vegetable steamer" for under $10 USD.

Seriously? That's what that thing is for!? I remember seeing one in my mother's saucepan cupboard, and not having the faintest idea of what it was for. Now I know lol. Thanks!

Most microwaveable meals can be heated in conventional ovens anyway!

I very rarely use the things...I dislike them.

I have a vegetable steamer...I need to use it more...but I hardly ever boil veg on its own anyway.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I went without a microwave for a long long time and then recently my housemate brought one. It's just covienient to defrost things quickly or to heat up a can of beans or something if all the rings on the hob are in use. I very rarely use it as I love cooking tasty meals in my oven and on my hob. Microwaves are for convience only for me.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Datransformer

Microaves, destroies the nutritional value in all foods.
    Same as using cellular phones, research indicates.
    Infact, resent scientific research has shown, one can cook an egg by placing two high voltage cellular phones around the egg for about 15-30 minutes.

Your friend
    D

Mahk

[QUOTE=Datransformer;370038]
    Microaves, destroies the nutritional value in all foods.
    Very true, as do all forms of cooking. That's partly why we have a raw food movement. Where exactly microwaves fall within the continuum from boiling (one of the worst) to steaming (one of the least damaging nutritionally) is unclear. Some of the "microwaves kill nutrients" studies cooked the vegetables half submerged in a puddle of water; That's boiling, not microwaving!

Same as using cellular phones, research indicates.
    Infact, resent scientific research has shown, one can cook an egg by placing two high voltage cellular phones around the egg for about 15-30 minutes.

Your friend
    D
    An established hoax, so says the author of the original hoax, Charlie Ivermee:

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/w...comments/3965/

http://gelfmagazine.com/archives/how..._sensation.php

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...ell_phones.htm

If the two Russian scientists (well, actually, Pravda newspaper journalists) who claim that after an hour the outer part of the liquid white of their egg turned soft boiled weren't a hoax, then they may have partly cooked their egg by a strange mysterious energy called "heat". If you've ever had an hour long cell phone conversation, especially with one of the early models, you'll notice they can get quite warm. This is not the microwave energy building and building. They radiate the same amount of microwaves in the first second of your conversation as they do an hour later into your conversation. What's building and building is simple heat. Eggs don't need frying pan temperatures to partly cook. Ever hear of frying an egg on a car's hood (bonnet) or the sidewalk?

Notice her hand is leaning on the car!

Datransformer

Agreed, however, if what you are saying is correct, heat build up burns, does not destroy, or change the nature of the bodyfields, (magnetic fields).
    Magnetic fields, emited from cell phones,(man created junk) does change, and alter the nature of brain waves and other body fields, alien to our energy field.

Your friend
    D

That's very vague datransformer, could you be more specific, and possibly include a source for this information?

Datransformer

Quote Risker View Post
    That's very vague datransformer, could you be more specific, and possibly include a source for this information?
    Read, or research magnetic fields and how it interects within our bodies, the name is, chronobiology.
    Man made fields are destructive to the nuclear cellular DNA.
    Chronobiology, is the study of daily (circadian) and the study seasonal rhythms on human physiology and behaviour.
    Do the walking and reading, we will talk soon.

your friend
    D

I'll pass thanks. Still too vague for me.

Datransformer

Quote Risker View Post
    I'll pass thanks. Still too vague for me.
    (a)The word is, (man made magnetic fields)
    (b) Chronobiology, how magnetic fields interrects within our bodies.
    (c) The choice is yours, to leave the debate.

your friend
    D

I am using it less and less now but I will use them re heat meals (I cook large meals then re heat portions). Maybe one day I will dispense with it completely but not just yet.
    What you tolerate, you encourage.

Datransformer

Microwaves ? who wants it ? unless you have no desire to give your body a better way to stay away from hospitals and doctors. (have money? doctors and hospitals are going to love you, for as long as the money lasts).
    Do this experiment for your self. Eat raw foods for seven days, and then eat foods cooked by the microwave for seven days.

D

You're yet to produce any evidence of your claims datransformer. Post some sources that microwaved food is any more damaging to your health than boiled/baked/grilled food.

Quote Datransformer View Post
    (have money? doctors and hospitals are going to love you, for as long as the money lasts).
    D
    Hence the joy of the NHS...

Datransformer

Risker, your reply to my (do it yourself test, raw vs. microwave) speaks lots of your understanding, and not wanting to do the research yoursel.
    You are either a promoter and sales man for microwave companies, or you can not tell the difference between, life vs petrified-foods.
    There has and there are many scientific journals and other publications on this subject.
    Two that comes to mind, and easy to understand.
    (1) By Dr. Joseph Mercola, Proven Dangers of Microwaves.
    (2) Health Freedom Resources, radiation ovens-the proven damages of microwaves.
    Do a comparable research yourself, on yourself, Raw vs Microwaves Foods for seven days, until then, you are wasting you breath.

Datransformer

Hi Datransformer,

this is a discussion forum.

If you want to promote your viewpoints, please back up your opinions with actual data instead of just coming back and asking people to figure out what you mean and why you have the opinions you have (or - alternatively - switching the discussion into a personal thing possibly about being 'a promoter and sales man for microwave companies') etc.

What you mention are highly measurable facts (magnetic fields, radiation etc), the effect of radiation and magnetic fields isn't a vague, philosophical topic.

There are several studies that confirm that both traditional cooking and microwave heating of food will reduce the nutritional value of some nutrients (some of this information is already posted earlier in this thread) - and there are studies that confirm that microwave heating is more destructive to some nutrients than traditional cooking for some foods, but we are asking people to try to 'make sense' in our guidelines, and it's now three weeks ago someone asked you for more actual facts.

(a)The word is, (man made magnetic fields)
    (b) Chronobiology, how magnetic fields interrects within our bodies.
    (c) The choice is yours, to leave the debate.
    If you want more discussion about magnetic fields or about chronobiological facts ("the branch of biology concerned with natural physiological rhythms and other cyclical phenomena") ...again: please bring those facts.

I was waiting for Mercola to be mentioned, there's a nice thread about him here (not that he hasn't been mentioned enough in this thread) - http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3136

And I take it this is the other article you are referring to? - http://www.laleva.cc/environment/microwave.html

Both these articles and there authors have been previously discussed in this very thread and both have proven to be highly unreliable sources for information.

Changing your diet for a week and feeling 'different' does not constitute a scientific study. Also, you are comparing raw food to microwave food rather than food cooked by other means, would this also mean that you feel the same way about ovens, grills, hobs, bbq's etc?

You're right, I don't want to do the research myself, I have already done plenty of research on this subject and being told to read up on such broad subject matter without the offer of any sort of specifics to narrow down what I should be looking for sounds like a waste of my time.

If you believe that microwave ovens are in someway damaging then it's up to you to provide some evidence of it, not just make a claim and then tell people to do the research.

Some studies support using microwave ovens over traditional cooking, and claim that a lower amount of nutrients are lost during microwave cooking that during traditional cooking, while other reports claims the opposite.

Here are a few of quick links (but please read my disclaimer):
    http://www.healthbulletin.org/cooking/cooking1.htm
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._the_good.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/health/17real.html
    http://www.americanchronicle.com/art...rticleID=34401
    http://educate-yourself.org/cn/micro...s15sep04.shtml
    http://www.bodyecology.com/07/08/02/...ve_dangers.php
    http://www.health-science.com/microwave_hazards.html
    http://www.alun.dk/eng/artikler.asp?ID=409
    http://www.herbalhealer.com/microwave.html

Disclaimer:
    I haven't read these articles, I'm not even saying that they are any good, and I'm the first one to admit that when it comes to microwave ovens, I'm 0% scientific about the topic. I just feel that whenever I have eaten something that has been heated in a microwave oven, something 'feels' wrong with the substance of the food. It feels even less fresh than it does after traditional cooking. I know people disagree about what the real facts are about microwave ovens, and I'm not even going to spend time trying to find out what they are. I don't want a microwave oven in my home, for 100% non-rational reasons!

There's some discussion of the claims of Mercola et al here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...n13664949/pg_1

I'm not a particular fan of microwave ovens myself, but without any peer-reviewed studies I don't find these third-hand scare stories very persuasive.

Mahk

"This is your brain:

This is what microwave ovens do to your brain:

Any questions?"
    Just kidding. [Did those stupid anti-drug PSA's I'm mocking play outside of the US?] Here's some of them:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=2

Seriously though, all the anti-microwave groups are using similar silly scare tactics. Why? Because they don't have any scientific backing to fall back on.

Seeing as that is an egg in the first picture, does that mean microwave ovens turn non-vegan brains into vegan ones?

Haha brilliant, I wondered why my kitchen was always wrecked when I was younger.