Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: need partners for healthy weight loss

Default Re: need partners for healthy weight loss

cobweb

I've decided to post each time i lose a kilo so it won't be each week.

I've been working hard on my self-acceptance and am reasonably happy now, might even revise my goal target loss as i have concluded that i will always be shapely. I carry a lot of muscle as well as the wobbly bits, and looking back, even when i was totally fit i was never less that 10 stone and usually well above. I'm a mum now, my family are important and my well being is important but fitting into funky clothes isn't atall important to me, i'd rather have my ice cream and cakes. There, that's the truth.

I still want to lose a bit, though, and tone it all up, so will post my exercise routine once it's straight and then just the kilos i lose but i am no longer going to beat myself with a stick.

Anyway, well done to those working hard and losing their unwanted weight.

Quote Animosity View Post
    It's so slow. I would have thought I would have noticed something by now. But it's not happening. I'm only eating around 1,200 so i'm not over eating. I'm exercising plenty. I'm just staying flabby.
    Sometimes we don't see the changes ourselves but other people notice. Also I've found people suddenly notice so there must be certain points where the weight loss or toning shows.

Sometimes you can hit a plateau where you body is trying to maintain a stable weight. I've found upping my calories a little for a few days then lowering them again can kick start me to start losing again. Maybe you could do 3-4 days at 1600 cals and then go back to 1200?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

What Marrers suggested is a good way to break out of a plateau- Tom Venuto mentions it in his e-book, and I've read quite a lot about it

Quote Tom's book
    Here’s another common cause of fat loss plateaus: Your calories are too low and your body has gone into starvation mode. Once you go into starvation mode, no amount of increased training will help. The only way to get out of starvation mode is to eat more. If you know your caloric intake has been very low for a long time and you suspect the starvation response is the culprit, the best thing you can do is raise your calories. Keep your food quality “clean” (don’t eat a lot of junk), just eat more of the same good foods.

Depending on the degree to which you have slowed your metabolism, you might need a brief one to three day raise in calories before dropping back down (zig-zag method), or you might need to raise your calories for longer period.

One proven way to give a sluggish metabolism a jolt is by using the “Zig-Zag” or “High - Low” method of dieting: that is, eat one to three days of higher calories and higher carbs followed by one to three days of lower calories and lower carbs. On the low calorie/low carb days, you lose body fat rapidly, but before your body can adapt, you raise the calories back up, which increases your metabolic rate and keeps you out of starvation
    mode.
    Hope you found this helpful

If anyone wants to PM me, we can have PM chats about weight loss. I'm really trying lately and I could use some support from fellow vegans trying to shed a few pounds as well.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

animosity, I think your whole problem is you're not eating ENOUGH, as active as you are you're body is holding onto every little bit it gets as it thinks you're "starving" I found I actually lose MORE weight eating around 1400-1500 calories a day and nowhere near as active as you (yet LOL) this weight loss I've had has been the easiest non hungry AND most successful weight loss I've ever had, with your level of activity you need more calories. If you don't feel totally comfortable with eating that much then try eating 1600 one day and 1200 the next to keep your body guessing. I keep 1200 for my minimum but keep it below 1500 calories 1400 is average but as I've said I'm not very active yet. Hang in there and don't resort to anything unhealthy its not worth it. And above all else DONT GIVE UP!!!!
    Last edited by missredbyu; Apr 15th, 2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo
    "Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin world go 'round"-Queen

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better now. I ended up geting sick last night and today worrying about it so I stoped beating myself up.

I used that 'thedailyplate' website and it said I need 1,500 on a moderately active day to lose 2lbs a week and 1,200 if I set around all day. I don't always eat 1,200. It's between 1,000-1,400 depending on the day, How I feel, What i'm doing, etc. I don't keep it the same, 1,200-1,300 is just my average.

It also said I need around 2,300 to maintain at a moderate activity level.
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

Quote missredbyu View Post
    those are awesome I'm going to get one for all of us, my kids would love them

Yes, I'm really loving mine - I use it every day!

hows everyone doing out there? I hurt my shoulder so the workouts aren't to great but I'm still walking and doing decent eating healthy

Missredbyu - I often encounter the same problem. How I try to counter it is by making a large amount of food during what little free time I have and sticking it in the fridge until I'm wanting it. Lots of recipes reheat just as good if not better than they originally tasted! Curry rice (the japanese type, I use this recipe: http://www.vegan-food.net/recipe/110...le-Curry-Rice/) and chili (I have my own recipe and can provide it if you're interested) are my favorites. Very filling, full of vitamins and minerals, and low-calorie.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

thank you very much Mila that recipe sounds AWESOME I plan to cook it asap I wonder if it would work with brown rice? I'm sure basmati would be best. That is exactly what I need though, recipes for foods that I can cooked in bulk. I love soups and rice dishes but honestly I can only stand chili about once a year, I think canned chili ruined me on it maybe homeade chili would be different.

hey everyone, I'm a bit late posting my results I've been working 12 hour night shifts so I've been a bit screwed up lately lol I can't get my ticker to work but I gained a pound, I'm not terribly worried though because in spite of it, I still feel a bit smaller, haven't checked my measurements yet but I've been ALOT more active with some infrequent workouts but also 12 hours a night on my feet running around in a busy acute care unit in a hospital so maybe that has something to do with it. I've been sticking to eating pretty healthy, it seems I do best if instead of large meals when I'm working I eat about a 150-200 calorie healthy snack every couple of hours,and a small meal at home before work and I can say that my energy has been crazy high lately so I must be doing something right. While everyone else is flagging around 3am I'm bouncing around like a hackysack lol. How's everyone else doing? Last night at work I was eating a tomatoe and black bean snack in the breakroom and this lady (about 300lbs) sat across from me eating a family sized tub of a cheezy meaty casserole commented that I wasnt eating much, I said well on nights l like to eats more frequently and she said "yea thats why you can't lose weight on night shift" I looked at her and thought do ya think maybe its that giant bowl of crap that youre eating that could have something to do with it??? Damn

So I found where i'll be taking yoga classes. It's the same little health food store I go too. They offer small classes, Everyone seems nice, I'm not good around new people but I think I might do alright there...

Mom says i'll have too cut gym down to once a week because she doesn't want to drive me everywhere. (It's about 20 miles to each place) She did say that I can do one day of yoga, One day of gym and one day of dance a week. That sounds pretty fair, Sounds like an okay workout as well.

It's so insanely slow. I really don't know why I haven't noticed anything yet... I haven't had any extreme 'cheat' days or anything and i've been keeping up my activities... I'm just not losing anything. I'm really curious as too why...

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum, I only joined yesterday. I would like to join in with you on your weight loss journey if that's OK.
    I notice a few of you referring to websites for tracking progress: this one is great, I have just starting using it. It is free and has all different foods (it is Australian however it could still be useful for those of you in other countries) and if the foods you are looking for are not there, you can create your own custom foods. It has a weekly weigh in and progress checker and each day tells you how you are tracking in terms of calories, exercise and water consumption.
    www.calorieking.com.au

Here is my ticker:

Namaste
    we are all one

Quote !! View Post
    What Marrers suggested is a good way to break out of a plateau- Tom Venuto mentions it in his e-book, and I've read quite a lot about it

Hope you found this helpful
    Quote missredbyu View Post
    animosity, I think your whole problem is you're not eating ENOUGH, as active as you are you're body is holding onto every little bit it gets as it thinks you're "starving" I found I actually lose MORE weight eating around 1400-1500 calories a day and nowhere near as active as you (yet LOL) this weight loss I've had has been the easiest non hungry AND most successful weight loss I've ever had, with your level of activity you need more calories. If you don't feel totally comfortable with eating that much then try eating 1600 one day and 1200 the next to keep your body guessing. I keep 1200 for my minimum but keep it below 1500 calories 1400 is average but as I've said I'm not very active yet. Hang in there and don't resort to anything unhealthy its not worth it. And above all else DONT GIVE UP!!!!
    Thanks. I've been trying that method. I've been eating 1,400-1,500 instead of 1,200 for a couple days, Then bringing it down again. Today I ate close to my regular non-diet calorie amount (1,700) and tommrow i'll drop it back down again.

I'm also trying to eat the majority of my calories in things like fruit. I do better that way. I'm thinking of eating smoothies for breakfast and lunch instead of my regular toast and jam breakfast.

Quote !! View Post
    Hey guys, sorry for not updating sooner! I've had all my cards cloned and about £4k stolen, my internet stopped working, been searching for a new house and generally being stressed.
    OMG that's awful! I'm sorry to hear you've been going through such a hard time.

Well, at least you have your new Wii to help you keep positive.

(((HUGS)))

Okay-- Didn't exactly drop it down today... I neglected to ask how much oil Mother used in the dish she made me before I ate it... I ended up eating the same amount I did yesterday...

Oh well. It's no big deal. It was nice of Mom to make it for me, So i'm not going to spend the day worrying over the extra calories in it.

Today was great.

I ate 1,500-1,600 again, But I ended up walking 4 miles, Doing some yoga and dancing.

I really 'feel it' today. That 'shrinking' feeling. I think i'm going to keep my calories the same and walk the same amount everyday that i'm not at the gym.

My Mom is going to be dieting with me, My Grandmother said she would, But I don't know about her... The support would be great, So I really hope they stick with it!

Anyway. How's everyone else doing?

Great to hear things are going so well for you Animostiy

Thanks Roxy.

I feel like I need to weigh. I need to see week-to-week how i'm doing. It's just not helping me not knowing. I gained 10lbs after I started eating healthy again, I can barely wear the pants I could wear when I was so deep into my ed... I haven't weighed since. I would be devestated if I gained even more. I just don't know... I need to be able to see results to feel good. I need to have a goal to keep me from messing up. I just don't want to get pulled down again, And I know if things don't go well I will. And that honestly scares me.

I really don't know what to do.

Hello Animosity,

Please be gentle with yourself. Treat yourself like you would your best friend. Love yourself unconditionally, love who you are and love your body. You could try using some affirmations, something like; I am a beautiful, healthy, compassionate woman and I have everything that I need. (I am making the assumption that you are a woman!!) You will probably want to write your own affirmation using your own words. Write it down, say it out loud to yourself and truly believe it, it might feel a bit strange at first but it does work.
    Focus on how healthy you feel rather than how much you weigh and what you are eating, and the rest will fall into place.
    I notice from your previous posts you are doing yoga. Yoga will help you enormously, it completely changed my life.
    You have the power within you.......don't forget that.

Namaste

may all be fed, may all be healed, may all be loved - my new favourite quote by John Robbins
    we are all one

That's really good advice livingyoga. Thanks

Well I weighed. I gained a total of 18.9lbs back from when I was 'sick' and i'm going to weigh weekly from now on. I'm not going to let myself get obessed with weighing. I'll stop at first sign. I'm not shocked, I knew that after what I had done it would happen, I just hoped it wouldn't. :| Oh well. Yoga starts Thursday, I'm going grocery shopping Friday and i'm going to try to get to the gym. Dancing starts soon. I'm also going to my friends house in June and she'll be coming here afterwords. I do better dieting with her around because I have someone to exercise with.

I'm eating between 1,200-1,600 calories. That's enough to keep me healthy while still (according to charts) losing 1-2lbs a week. 1,200 shouldn't put my body into starvation mode, Should it?

Good luck everyone. Hopefully things start geting brighter for me here on out.

I gained loads of weight recently, I'm really fed up. I had a month of lack of self control and stress eating. I'm going to weigh tomorrow and I know it will be horrific. I'm really fed up as I really wanted to be slimmer by summer.

I'm going back to raw food for a while because I lost loads of weight last time i did that.

My biggest problem is evenings, I get home and do out of control bingeing even if I've been good all day. The solution to that is to make the whole days food including breakfast oat smoothie the day before.
    Silent but deadly :p

cobweb

well i FINALLY lost a kilo

BlackCats

Well done CW.

cobweb

ta, aphro, only another **** kilos to go!! he-he (i'll get there eventually)

I've been trying to take off some of the excess weight I put on while in recovery from my ED, but it's difficult not to resort to old habits when I eat very healthfully, watch my calories, and exercise daily and lose no weight at all. Any tips on how to help the process when you plateau and there's really no food I can cut out of my diet (except maybe less fruit, I eat a lot)? I only want to lose about 5 pounds, and it's so frustrating to never get results.

Hi everyone. I've been doing alright lately. Due to lack of money and bad weather I haven't been able to go to the gym or yoga but I haven't had any slip-ups and i'm still doing a bit of cardio at home. I'm putting off my weigh-in until the end of May because of not exercising much. I went to a dog parade thing (in support of the Humane Society) I didn't get to bring my canines, Though... (I had to help my Mom's friend with hers. ) We walked about a mile. I ended up geting HORRIBLE sunburn (I burn really easily) and now my shoulders are super sore. I've been trying to focus more on studying than anything else lately. (i'm a perfectionest when it comes to my grades) I really hope to go to public school this year.

Hope everyone else is doing alright.

Yay have lost a tonne! still a way off my target though (23" waist). but i walked into the living room the other day and my house mate was like 'omg u look so skinny...not bad skinny...just really slim and good!' Keep it up guys, it is do-able!

Ok, reading through some of this, I am gonna join in this! I have to lose the weight of a large male labrador retreiver. Put that way is absolutel awful! haha! I have 73lbs to lose, just to get to the topmost weight of my "ideal weight range".
    In a bit, I'm gonna go downstairs and pump my bike tyres up, and cycle the 3 miles to work (I am not sure if I *really* want to do this!!!).
    But, here is my ticker!

I "ran" (mostly walked) 3.5 miles the sunday before last for the race for life, and my legs and butt ached like nothing on earth for three days after haha!
    I can't believe someone's after a 23" waist?! I haven't had anything under 45" waist in a looooooooooong time, and I'm 25 years old. I am a BIG GIRL. Hehe oh well, I'm sure it could be worse... Not sure how, but I'm sure it could happen hehe!

Quote hara-kiri View Post
    I can't believe someone's after a 23" waist?! I haven't had anything under 45" waist in a looooooooooong time, and I'm 25 years old. I am a BIG GIRL. Hehe oh well, I'm sure it could be worse... Not sure how, but I'm sure it could happen hehe!
    Maybe she's really small boned? I'm supposed to be super small (i'm already an X-small/small) I had a Great Aunt that had an 18" waist (she wasn't unhealthy skinny either). I have a 29" waist and I still have several inchs of excess flab to lose from there.

shparris27

Hello Missred! I'm also new to the forum, and i am trying to lose about 15lbs, or whatever looks healthiest for my size. I'd enjoy keeping in touch with u 2 c how it's going for u.

Quote Animosity View Post
    Maybe she's really small boned? I'm supposed to be super small (i'm already an X-small/small) I had a Great Aunt that had an 18" waist (she wasn't unhealthy skinny either). I have a 29" waist and I still have several inchs of excess flab to lose from there.
    Oh! I wasn't being a dick! It was kinda jealousy

Hi guys, I am new to these forums and would like to lose a few lbs myself. In fact, I went as high as 186. (Small to medium frame and only 5'0 tall means that is pretty overweight). Then I became vegan and within 2 weeks had lost nearly ten lbs but I discovered a lot of vegan junk food. And now after lots of gym workouts, I am down to 165 lbs but I still can't seem to get any lower than that. So I am hoping by joining this thread maybe I can be accountable to you guys.

One thing I am doing now is instead of reaching for salty/sweet junkfood, I have a whole bunch of veggies cut up in containers in my fridge (bell peppers, carrots, celery, broccoli, mushrooms, and cucumbers) and whenever I feel like a snack I force myself to eat some of them either until I'm full or the craving goes away. Junk food has always been my worst enemy. So by forcing myself to enjoy the raw and plain flavours of various organic veggies, I am hoping to curb the junkfood habits.

Exercise is important too, but they say that 90% of weight problems occur in the diet and not so much in the exercise.

If any of ya have tips for me, I'm trying to get down to 120lbs by the end of this year (giving myself lots of time). It's only about 45 lbs or so.

Hopefully I can lose the first 20 before August, becuase I am going to a family reunion at the beach. And I want to actually fit in my bathingsuit, nevermind look good in it!

Thanks guys!

here's my ticker

cobweb

i'm doomed with this - my weight just keeps going back up!

i'm thinking i will have to follow your lead, delina, and get stuck into plain veggies and not a lot else!.

eek, ok, here goes:

Um, yeah, I think I weigh a good 60lbs more than most people here, but I've got to start somewhere!

WOW Delina and hari-kari, you've both lost a lot of weight, that's awesome! You must feel so good

I'm coming on here to try and get some extra inspiration.

Normally I'm an exercise/healthy eating freak, but since I recently has a virus and then an operation I have fallen off the wagon and I know I've put on at least a couple of kilo's - too scared to get on the scales but my clothes have got really tight.

Pre this I had lost 6 kilo's and my goal was to lose another 5.

Hopefully I can get back in control and get to my ideal weight for health!

Quote Nikheil View Post
    eek, ok, here goes:

Um, yeah, I think I weigh a good 60lbs more than most people here, but I've got to start somewhere!

Hehe don't worry, you don't weigh as much as me!

Quote Nikheil View Post
    WOW Delina and hari-kari, you've both lost a lot of weight, that's awesome! You must feel so good
    Yeah, it's definitely nice I still have a lot to go though, it's not really noticeable yet. But thankyou!

shparris27

U can do it!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it too late to start this?
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Sarah, I think the idea of this thread is people seeking to lose weight healthily can join in whenever they want .

OH, fab.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

I went on the scales today and have put on 4 kilo's. So I hope to drop back within 6 weeks. I've also had way more migraines since my healthy eating regime has gone out the window.
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 74 KG'S
    GOAL WEIGHT : 65 KG'S
    PLAN: To exercise 4 - 6 x per week at gym by doing 1 hr cardio classes and 1 weights class. Also to go for a long walk on the weekend.
    I also want to try and eat 5 smaller meals per day making sure I get more protein and lots of fibre.
    Fingers crossed!