Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, Part Three

Default Re: Vegan London, Part Three - 2010

Quote beanstew View Post
    I'm often at the Barbican for concerts as well but have always found it an awkward area to find food in. Hopefully things will be better now.
    I quite like Carnevale in Whitecross Street but I don't generally want/have time to eat before a concert and I don't think Carnevale would be open afterwards. This new one seems to be open fairly late though.

That sounds great Bryzee! I did attempt to buy one of your cookies when I went to the SSOV shop a few weeks ago but they said you'd not made any because you'd hurt your hand or something - trust it's OK now?

Quote harpy View Post
    I quite like Carnevale in Whitecross Street but I don't generally want/have time to eat before a concert and I don't think Carnevale would be open afterwards. This new one seems to be open fairly late though.

That sounds great Bryzee! I did attempt to buy one of your cookies when I went to the SSOV shop a few weeks ago but they said you'd not made any because you'd hurt your hand or something - trust it's OK now?
    ello! Yeah, I'm all better now. I'm not suplying ssov at the moment, though. But they do have other yummo things! Otherwise, you can buy the cookies at The 5 Elements on a Friday. Not the same, I know, but I aim to be supplying places again soon.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Good luck with your new venture Bryzee. Do you do all your cooking in the work kitchen? I assume collection is only available in their very short opening hours? I wish this had come a week earlier as I had to buy a cake from Wholefoods for a party last week . . . but I might need another soon.
    I am indeedy doing it from there. Well, I am ONLY doing pastries and whatnot now. long story...

Collection is any time between 8am and 4pm (office hours), but the dessert of the day is (obviously!) between 11.45 and 14:15 (lunch hours).

Everyone should order from BOOM! Bakery, because it's all flippin delicious.

Already mentioned by Mariana above but thought I'd say how gorgeous Ms Cupcakes' wares are! She's in Greenwich market on Thursdays and Fridays and Brick Lane Saturday and Sunday - I went yesterday and it was well worth the visit. She has tonnes of flavours on her website but obviously doesn't make them all every day (I guess if you go to the stall each week - which I'm very tempted to do! - you'd find some variation of flavours every time). Great news is that she was doing very brisk trade so hopefully it's world domination next! There's no reason she shouldn't have a shop somewhere - they were a hundred times better than Babycakes in New York which has queues round the block. The chocolatey flavours are very good and every cake has several components with a dollop of frosting larger than the cake itself and usually a layer of something lovely under that and something else to decorate the top. It's the fruit flavours which are outstanding I think - the lightest melt in the mouth sponge I've had since being vegan by a long way. Best eaten on a plate with a fork as the cake is so light and the frosting so copious that they collapse easily. Oh, she also supplies to the SSOV shop although I'm not sure how frequently and I've only seen the chocolately flavours there. For the full cakey heaven experience visit her stall!

Hello everyone!

Just to let you know, I (i.e. BOOM! Bakery) have a stall this weekend! Saturday 12th June from 9.30am-5pm at The Deptford Project.

http://www.thedeptfordproject.com/

Come along, buy some noms (I'll definitely have cake, cookies, brownies, tortes and muffins, but more than likely will have more), have a coffee (deptford project do soya for no extra charge) and a natter.

Hope to see you there!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Hello everyone!

Just to let you know, I (i.e. BOOM! Bakery) have a stall this weekend! Saturday 12th June from 9.30am-5pm at The Deptford Project.

Come along, buy some noms (I'll definitely have cake, cookies, brownies, tortes and muffins, but more than likely will have more), have a coffee (deptford project do soya for no extra charge) and a natter.

Hope to see you there!
    I have the day off, and am so there!!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Hello everyone!

Hope to see you there!
    Hope it goes really well wish I was nearer so I could go!

Quote Troutina View Post
    I have the day off, and am so there!!
    thanks! Spread the word

Quote Elahiya View Post
    i had quite bad experiences with peking palace lately and it might be of interest to all other ppl who enjoyed that venue so far.
    I popped in there for a quick bite yesterday and the food was as good as ever. (I had the Sizzling veggie beef steak Peking style and Singapore noodles.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    I popped in there for a quick bite yesterday and the food was as good as ever. (I had the Sizzling veggie beef steak Peking style and Singapore noodles.)
    hm... let's hope it was a one-off and they were just too lazy in the eve... i might still need some time to try a home delivery of them again, though...
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Hello again, delicious Vegan Londoners.

Just to let you know, I have a stall again this Saturday, from 9.39-4.30pm at The Deptford Project.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Hello again, delicious Vegan Londoners.

Just to let you know, I have a stall again this Saturday, from 9.39-4.30pm at The Deptford Project.
    me and twinkletoes might be able to stop by in the morning and get some nice sweety things
    p.s.: are you gonna start exactly at 9:39?
    "Let he among us without sin be the first to condemn..
    Viva La Vie Boheme!!

Just had a leaflet handed out near where I work, for Pod- http://www.podfood.co.uk/
    The menu labels which items are vegan, and they have quite a nice looking mix of sandwiches, japanese food, indian food, smoothies. Worth a look!

I have a Pod right next to my office and often get lunch there. The menu changes with the seasons but they normally have 1 or 2 hot options, 1 or 2 sandwiches and 1 or 2 salads which are vegan. They also do a lovely smoothie with oats and soya milk which I have for breakfast somtimes when I'm running late.
    I noticed the other day that they had a dairy free ice cream and nearly fell over! It turns out it's the chocolate Booja Booja - I'm sure it's stupid expensive but great to be able to get an ice cream with friends at lunchtime when the sun is out!

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    I have a Pod right next to my office and often get lunch there. The menu changes with the seasons but they normally have 1 or 2 hot options, 1 or 2 sandwiches and 1 or 2 salads which are vegan. They also do a lovely smoothie with oats and soya milk which I have for breakfast somtimes when I'm running late.
    I noticed the other day that they had a dairy free ice cream and nearly fell over! It turns out it's the chocolate Booja Booja - I'm sure it's stupid expensive but great to be able to get an ice cream with friends at lunchtime when the sun is out!
    The menu looks really nice! They look pretty much East/ Central based, and have opened a new branch in Holborn.

Wholefoods on Brewer Street are selling vegan cakes again. They had a chocolate cupcake, a carrot cake slice and a chocolate brownie square. I didn't try any.

A note on the window of the Vegan Routes bus on Brewer Street says it is "closed until further notice due to technical issues". Not sure how long this has been the case.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Elahiya View Post
    hm... let's hope it was a one-off and they were just too lazy in the eve... i might still need some time to try a home delivery of them again, though...
    Went there tonight and it was all good. I even enjoyed the fish (not too fishy this time ).

I went to Wholefoods in Kensington for the first time last week- yes I think I'm about a century behind the times....!- and it is amazing and beautiful and the Harrods of Healthfood shops! It was like a dream. We bought chocolate peanut butter torte, banana muffin, cupcake, some truffles and one of the large takeaway tubs from the buffet to share. Delicious!

Quote Marrers View Post
    A note on the window of the Vegan Routes bus on Brewer Street says it is "closed until further notice due to technical issues". Not sure how long this has been the case.
    Although the entry is not dated this is what is says on their website:-

"We will be back!
    We apologize with all our customers & friends for any inconvenience caused by our unexpected closure.
    Unfortunatly, due to a scam made by James Preston, former director of Veganroutes Ltd, we had to put the company on hold to resolve legal issues.
    ...but do not worry, we will start again our adventure very soon!!"

http://www.veganroutes.org/index.php...d=34&Itemid=64

I had a nice dinner on the original vegan busterant last night, Root Master.

Sounds rather intriguing Marrers! Thanks for mentioning Pod, Troutina - might be a good place for my OH to indulge his passion for falafels at lunchtime.

Tibits have extended their opening hours.

Extended opening hours to enjoy the summer evenings
    We have extended our evening opening hours so you can sip a cocktail or enjoy a bottle of wine with your friends on our terrace and observe the hustle and bustle of Heddon Street during warm Summer nights from the comfort of your Designer's Guild cushioned seat for longer.
    Our new opening hours as from 21st June 2010 are:

Monday – Wednesday 09:00 am – 11:00 pm
    Thursday – Saturday 09:00 am – midnight
    Sunday 11:30 am – 10:30 pm

That's good to know. Could be handy for post-gig noms.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

just so folks know - walked down Brewer Street the other day and Vegan Routes has now gone. Not just closed, but gone altogether.

i had nothing to do today so i spent the whole day exploring

anyway, i walked past this shop called peppercorns outside west hampstead station which looked pretty interesting (although i didn't actually go in there cus i was in a rush so i can't say what it's like)
    http://www.peppercorns-uk.com/welcome.asp
    i searched the forum and i don't think anybody's mentioned it before

also i don't know if they're making it a regular event but ratstar in camberwell had a film night with vegan food, they were serving up thai green curry and a fruit salad it was reallynice! (www.ratstarsquat.wordpress.com)

BlackCats

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    just so folks know - walked down Brewer Street the other day and Vegan Routes has now gone. Not just closed, but gone altogether.
    Oh really, I hadn't ever tried it, that is a shame.

I'm going to Amico Bio tonight, hope it's good.
    Amico Bio

Quote BlackCats View Post
    Oh really, I hadn't ever tried it, that is a shame.

I'm going to Amico Bio tonight, hope it's good.
    Amico Bio
    How was it BlackCats?

I've not seen Amico Bio before. Website looks good - would be interested to hear feedback.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Unfortunately BlackCats is no longer a member of the forum
    Really? That's a great shame.

I tried Zilli Green a few weeks ago, it was nice but i cant say id go out of my way to get back.

Firstly we found zilli fish and asked for directions to zilli green. She sent us in totally the wrong direction! We accidentally found Zilli Green later though!

I ordered the pre theatre plate thingy for £10 it was called 'fusion' i think and was a mix of tempura, some green pasta dish and a salad. My friend had a seperate starter and I enquired if i could have my tempure with her starter but was told mine all came on one plate and i wouldnt need a seperate starter. When it did come out tbh i was expecting a bigger portion. Even for a 'pale skinny vegan' i easily ate it and could have eaten it again. It was very nice just not enough of it!

I dont live in London and I know im not used to the price difference here, but I just didnt feel it was enough for the money. We went straight to the wholefoods shop in Soho after and bought waffles and cake and sushi!

The waiter was polite but I felt a little uncomfortable like he was looking down on us, I have bright blue hair so im used to people staring but usually when you are their customer there is a better vibe in the air!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    its a shame isnt it. i was there a bit ago and thought the car park looked familiar then i realised! i could have cried!!!

Urgent help please!
    I just (literally just now) got some really big good news and want to go out and celebrate this evening. It's big news so I'd like to do something fancy-pants. Please can somewhere recommend somewhere special? I don't like the look of Saf, but anywhere else very nice in London would be much appreciated. (I am not super dressed up, so nowhere pretentious... just good food and a celebratory occasion.) Please help!
    Live and let live

I hope you found somewhere to go? Congratulations on whatever it is
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Thank you! Got a big promotion at work. So went to Peking Palace and had some seriously yummy food! *happy tummy*
    Live and let live

Congratters rainbow!

Glad you both had a brilliant day Hemlock I had no idea New Rock did vegan boots!! May have to take a jolly to London some time soon......
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Thanks, they've been doing vegan boots for ages. Corum has had his for two years!
    Silent but deadly :p

has anybody here been to the gallery cafe? i was thinking of going but thought i'd see what you guys think first. from what i've read on the internet it's not all vegan but looks like quite a nice place

Amico Bio

Tried this one for OH's birthday dinner last night and liked it quite a lot - I think someone else here has already recommended it. It's in the city, near the Barbican, Old Bailey and Smithfield, and is in what seems like an old house in a v ethnic lane, Cloth Fair.

The people who run it are Italian and get the veg from their ancestral farm in Italy or something - not sure about the food miles aspect but anyway. I had a peach,radish and chard salad (wouldn't have thought of having chard raw but it was nice) and then a focaccia with very small mild green peppers, fried, piled on top. OH had grilled aubergine with hummus and then a potato and lentil cake. Everything seemed very fresh and thoughtfully seasoned although the salad was a bit salt for my taste.

They had quite a few things marked vegan including a pudding which was some kind of polenta cake with a pear poached in (nicely spiced) wine. When I was about to tuck into mine one of the nice waiters/proprietors came and snatched it out of my maw because they had heard me muttering about being vegan and the cake wasn't, so they removed it and gave me extra pears instead. I'm fairly sure the dish was marked V rather than VO but anyway I think I'll mention about being vegan first another time to be on the safe side! I thought it was quite conscientious of them though.

They do have dishes with tofu and seitan as well as a lot of dishes just made with vegetables and pulses if you prefer something authentically Italian. The atmosphere in there is very Italian and the espresso was excellent. With 3 courses each, 2 largeish glasses of vegan wine and 2 coffees plus service it came to just over £50 which I thought was quite reasonable for the type of place it is.

Late in the evening it was doing a brisk trade with a mixture of city-looking types and others so I hope it's one that might stay open for a while.

Quote twinkle toes View Post
    has anybody here been to the gallery cafe? i was thinking of going but thought i'd see what you guys think first. from what i've read on the internet it's not all vegan but looks like quite a nice place
    Sorry if this reply is a bit late, but I had lunch at the Gallery Cafe in July and really enjoyed it! The vegan options seem to change every day, so while the menu on the website will give you a good idea of what they offer, they might have slightly different options when you arrive. So while they didn't have all the vegan options I'd expected, I still had a great meal there - everyone there was really friendly, I loved the atmosphere of the cafe, and the food was delicious! I had a cheezy cauliflower/courgette pasta bake, which was the vegan special of the day, and it was quite tasty. My boyfriend had the spaghetti bolognese, which I didn't try, but according to him it was delicious as well. He's not vegetarian but he was quite happy with his meal here, so that's good to know, I think. All in all, I'd recommend giving this place a try! I heard they have vegan cakes on some days, too...
    Oh, and I have pictures of the food and the cafe here, if you're interested

no way it's about a two minute walk from my house yep i did some exploring and actually went. i really liked it in there too, i don't know why but i wasn't expecting it to be that great either, so it was a nice suprise finding somewhere so nice to just chill out and read the newspaper and stuff

Quote twinkle toes View Post
    no way it's about a two minute walk from my house yep i did some exploring and actually went. i really liked it in there too, i don't know why but i wasn't expecting it to be that great either, so it was a nice suprise finding somewhere so nice to just chill out and read the newspaper and stuff
    Glad you like it too! I wish there was a place like that close to my house...

I know there is one place left for Thursday 4th November but there may be spaces left on other dates too.
    The Full House Underground Supper Club has 4 raw meal evenings coming up on Thursday 28th of October, Thursday 4th November and Thursday 11th November. It's £40 a head including one drink on arrival (plus the cost of any drinks you might want to buy on the night). You book your tickets on the website.

"Each evening, 12 diners are informed of our secret location (East London, near a tube station) and meet at Full House for supper. All our dinners include a welcome drink, a 5 course dinner and a cookery demonstration from the chef, so you can learn more about the food you are eating."

Menu:-
    Welcome Drink
    Warm Mulled ‘wine’ made from apples, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and orange zest.

Demonstration:
    How to make a raw banana and vanilla pod ice cream, with pomegranate.

Hors’ D’oeuvres Platter
    Raw Cheese Board made up of a soft cashew nut cheese rolled with dill chives and parsley, raw feta cheese, calamata olives, and a walnut cheese served with a crispy slice of dehydrated tomato. 
Japanese-Inspired Nori rolls, stuffed with Raw Parsnip Rice, Cucumber, Red Peppers, Basil and Sweet Potatoes, Mangoes and Spring Onions.
Mini Samosas, made using a delicately thin piece of young coconut, stuffed with peppers, plantain and sultanas.

Starter
    Papaya and Avocado salad, with a sweet and spicy mustard and papaya seed mayonnaise. Served with a macadamia nut and flax seed crispy cracker.

Main
    Moroccan-inspired Tagine with a freshly grated coconut and cauliflower ‘couscous’. The tagine is made with dehydrated and marinated vegetables including courgettes, dried fruits, peas and apples. The sauce is made from agave syrup, sundried tomatoes, olive oil and sweet spices including nutmeg and cinnamon. Garnished with Alfalfa and Fenugreek Sprouts and Pomegranate Red Berries.

Dessert
    Thinly sliced pineapple sheets stuffed with juliennes of kiwis and mangos, served with a coconut sorbet and dressed with passion fruit juice.

Petit Fours
    Raw Cacao Chocolate Truffles, by Coxeter’s Fayre.

http://www.ilovefullhouse.com/new-events/

Thanks Marrers. But I'm afraid that exclusively raw food just doesn't do it for me.
    I would like to put in a good word for Chutneys on Drummond St. I found myself hungry at Euston at noon on Sunday and went off to Chutneys for lunch. Their buffet is enormous and filled with a stunning array of delicious goodies, all vegetarian and about 85% vegan. When I asked the waiter what was vegan, he was immediately able to identify everything that I could and couldn't eat (unlike some restaurants where this question is greeted with a blank stare, then the waiter disappears, and then comes back and points at the fruit salad). I was very hungry and filled my plate several times, including lots of yummy starters and no fewer than three vegan desserts. And it only cost £6.95 a person. What a bargain! Delicious, creative cuisine and good value - I will definitely be back!
    Live and let live

That sounds delicious, Marrers.

Is Full House something to do with Saf? I see they've got those nori rolls with parsnip "rice" on their website which seems a bit of a coincidence as I had those in the Kensington Saf the other night! Or perhaps it's a well-known raw food recipe?

Am not a raw foodist but must admit I'm getting rather partial to some of the raw food they do in Saf. That new branch is a bit close for safety!

Friday, 29th October we organise a breast cancer awareness fund-raising at the salon:
    - Pink buffet: vegan muffins, smoothies
    - Gift vouchers and discount cards to be won
    All proceeds + 10% of the salon's takings on the day will go to Dr Hadwen Trust!

If you're interested, more updates will be on fb:
    http://www.facebook.com/salonQlondon

Quote harpy View Post
    Is Full House something to do with Saf?
    Not that I know of.

I've been told of another event:-
    Saturday, November 27th \ £40 Donation
    * starter and evening cocktail
    * 7-course dinner
    * wine and/or beer pairings

Roasted Artichoke Soup & Parsley Swirl
    Provencal Spinach & Dill Mushroom 'Dim Sum' with Piquante Avocado Shot
    Rocket, Beetroot & Carrot Ribbons Splashed with Agave-Lemon Vinaigrette
    Gnocchi with Roasted Garlic and Basil served over Seared Zucchini Fettuccini
    Lime Sorbet between Gnocchi & Polenta Course
    Polenta-Saltimbocca-Rolled with Sun-blushed tomato, Smokey Pepper & Portabella
    Chocolate Tiramisu Crowned with a Blood Orange Sorbet Tuille
    And a take away surprise...
    http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/notices.htm
    http://vegandinner.eventbrite.com

I'm intrigued by the 'take away surprise'....................I hope someone will let us know what it was!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote Marrers View Post
    Scoop is opening another branch at 53 Brewer Street in early April. They hope to be open on the first Saturday.
    I would like to ask: what is Scoop? Is it a vegan gelateria or something?