Thread: Vegan hobbies in London - other than eating

Default Vegan hobbies in London - other than eating

Hi all, I'm new to this board - not new to veganism though, 10 years and 10 months

I wanted to make a catch-all thread for people to suggest vegan hobbies and activities and stuff in London. Most vegan London guides focus on restaurants, but I wanted to know what else is out there. I realise that a 'vegan hobby' is a somewhat ambiguous term, but I am making the assumption that a lot of vegans are open minded, proactive, and have more useful things to do with on their weekends than sit in a Weatherspoons pub glaring at a 100 inch TV screen showing a football match.

So what do people get up to? I would love to start a lazy bike ride group, which involves a bit of cycling, stopping for vegan eats, and other stuff like photography. i.e. we take our cameras out when we go for rides.

But yeah...what do other people get up to in London at weekends?

Good sperm

Default Re: Vegan hobbies in London - other than eating

We've posited the idea of a London photography meet as several of us have digital cameras (of course, film being an animal product)

Bike ride sounds cool too.

Generally we tend to meet up, sit in a park/pub* (weather dependent, delete as applicable) eat lots and wander about.

Gallery/museum visits would be nice, Samandamy likey galleries

I am down for the photography thing if anything comes from it. I didn't even consider the obvious link between digital cameras and veganism, but yeah, technology is on our side!

I'm in South London, itching to get out on my bike, if anyone wants in, give me a shout. I am unfit so won't be burning anybody off!

Pubs - I just can't do them. I get twitchy and feel like my life is ebbing away.

Quote runtheroad View Post
    I would love to start a lazy bike ride group, which involves a bit of cycling, stopping for vegan eats, and other stuff like photography. i.e. we take our cameras out when we go for rides.

But yeah...what do other people get up to in London at weekends?
    Hello, and welcome to the forum

I usually come into London at the weekends and just wander around galleries, museums, parks and things, but cycling/stopping for vegan eats etc... sounds REALLY good ! I've just started photography really and would love the opportunity to take lots more pics and improve

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    Bike ride sounds cool too.

Generally we tend to meet up, sit in a park/pub* (weather dependent, delete as applicable) eat lots and wander about.

Gallery/museum visits would be nice, Samandamy likey galleries
    yep, yep, all sounds grrrrreat !

Obviously I like the photography idea, just so long as it is does not have to be part of a bike ride. I did keep meaning to post the idea on the Meet Ups board as I think it was easily missed buried in a thread on the Photo one.

Unfortunately I cannot have a bike as there is no where to keep one inside (or outside) of my flat. Which is pretty annoying as I had bought one not long before having to move here.

Walking is good too though. And between the Thames, its tributaries, and the canals there are plenty of options for doing that. And things like the London Loop and Capital Ring. Not to mention different areas of town to be discovered. Some local councils produce guides for walks in their areas too.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

Stu

Definitely up for the bikelling/eating thang. I'm up in Hackney though, but we could maybe meet up somewhere vaguely in the middle? Or indeed, I could just bike over to Sahf Lahndan.

Biking and eating on a sunny day are what it's all about.

When I lived in London as a teenager I used to have Wu Shu Kwan kick boxing lessons on a weekend and got super fit - it is a really fantastic form of exercise and very sociable, a good way to meet people.

I also used to go to the British Library and research subjects of interest, go and see all the free museums and galleries and walk round the big parks in summer, have boat trips on the Thames, do a bit of window shopping.
    We still go up to London now to meet our pagan friends at Treadwell bookshop and Atlantis bookshop and go to talks there on paganism and occultism, they have some very interesting talks.
    Silent but deadly :p

There are lots of free talks and lectures on various subjects in London, although mostly on weekdays. I think the ones on this site are free:

http://www.lecturelist.org/content/listby/region/3

And it might be of interest to people outside of London too as it is a national site.

There used to be a pretty good site listing free and cheap events in London but it seems to have closed down. "We've now closed down," it now says.

Another idea for something to do in London - go to somewhere on the Sussex coast!

If you book far enough in advance Southern's day save ticket gives unlimited travel on their trains for £10, but it is only £20 for a group of three or four people making it effectively only £5 return each to go to Brighton, Bognor, or, erm, BEastbourne.

Michael.

Don't go to Eastbourne - it is a dump, we live between Brighton and Eastbourne and we would never go there other than I have the misfortune to work there! It is choc full of chavs and druggies.

Brighton on the other hand is a joy

Hey I'm in South London too (Bermondsey).I don't have a bike but, like michael, I'm more than up for walks!

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Don't go to Eastbourne - it is a dump
    But BWorthing sounded stupid!

I do want to go to Eastbourne though, to see the cliffs. Albeit from a safe distance nowhere near the edge from the top of them.

Michael.

In addition, I'm all up for the daysave some time, michael. We've done it before and £5 is a bargain.

BlackCats

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Hey I'm in South London too (Bermondsey).I don't have a bike but, like michael, I'm more than up for walks!
    I would want to do walks as well and would be up for doing museums/ gallery/ trips to coast things
    (but I haven't got a bicycle, in fact I don't know how to ride one anyway.)
    Last edited by BlackCats; May 11th, 2008 at 06:04 AM. Reason: I'm not from South London but used to live there.

Quote maikeru View Post
    But BWorthing sounded stupid!

I do want to go to Eastbourne though, to see the cliffs. Albeit from a safe distance nowhere near the edge from the top of them.

Michael.
    The cliffs are between Seaford (where we live) and the very far outskirts of Eastbourne, Beachy Head is outside Eastbourne and very lovely, Birling Gap is even better - we go swimming there often.

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    (but I haven't got a bicycle, in fact I don't know how to ride one anyway.)
    You just have a nice sit down and pump your legs!

Seriously though, it is very easy but you can only learn by trying. I taught my ex how to ride a bike, and without even any minor medical incidents. And it only took about two or three trips to a nearby park.

Quote Hemlock View Post
    The cliffs are between Seaford (where we live) and the very far outskirts of Eastbourne, Beachy Head is outside Eastbourne and very lovely, Birling Gap is even better - we go swimming there often.
    Thanks for the tip. Looking on the map it (Birling Gap) seems a long way from the train line, but I guess there are local buses? I know from previous unrealized intentions there is an Eastbourne to Brighton one via Beachy Head.

Michael.

The buses are excellent, every 20 minutes because of tourists. The 12A weekdays and Saturdays or the 13 on Sundays takes you right round that whole cliff coastal area, we sometimes walk the length of the cliffs from Seaford Head and then get the bus back.

BlackCats

Quote maikeru View Post
    Seriously though, it is very easy but you can only learn by trying. I taught my ex how to ride a bike, and without even any minor medical incidents. And it only took about two or three trips to a nearby park.
    Are you offering to teach me?

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    Are you offering to teach me?
    When it comes to a ride, I am sure you will do fine.

Oh no. That came out all wrong.

Michael.

BlackCats

Quote maikeru View Post
    When it comes to a ride, I am sure you will do fine.

In no particular order I'm into cycling ( just got back from doing a quick 20 miles over Epsom Downs this morning as it goes) Photography and Horticulture.

If anyone is thinking about taking up cycling, but are concerned about dealing with the motons you should get hold of a copy of 'Cyclecraft' by John Franklin.

I have found it to be invaluable.

http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Cycling sounds grand! I just recently purchased a Strida folding bike and have been itching to get out and use it.

Also, walks sound like a great idea. There are some really good ones run by London walks if we wanted a guided one - www.walks.com They can also do private tours.

I organise a knitting group on Tuesday evenings in Hampstead too if anyone wants to come along. There are plenty of vegan fibres out there and it's a great way to do something creative and teach yourself a new skill. Besides, knitting is cool these days! We meet at Costa Cafe (Haverstock Hill Rd, near Belsize tube, northern line) from 6.30pm til about 8pm, every Tuesday. But the location might change, so please email first if you want to check - hampsteadknitsATgmailDOTcom