Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 30 Day Vegan Fitness Challenge

Zero

Lightbulb 30 Day Vegan Fitness Challenge

This is something that has been on my mind since last week, but I was trying to decide whether it was the right time.

Today, February 25th 2008 I’ve decided I am going to make it the right time to do this.

So the idea is:
    • Be healthier and more active for the next 30 days
    • Participate in some form of exercise as much as possible
    • Post your intended goals here
    • Include any diet changes you want to make etc
    • Post a daily update (or whenever possible)
    Hopefully some of you will join me on this and we can support each other, it doesn’t matter when you start, let’s just do it!

You don’t have to run 10 miles a day, just do some sort of exercise when possible (everyday would be ideal of course), even if it’s just 20min, it’s all good!

Set goals that are realistic for you so you can stick with it.

I know that this somewhat mirrors the 'Lets get fit and heathly together' but I wanted to do one that was more time specific i.e 30 days.

Is anyone with me? Or am I doing this by myself?

Zero

Default Re: 30 Day Vegan Fitness Challenge

My goals for the next 30 days are as follows (quite simple really):

Work out everyday – Either Gym, Tai Chi, Running, Cardio Combat etc
    Eat 100% Raw Fruit (I currently eat about 75% fruit)
    Work out for no less than 30 minutes each day

Ooh I like this idea, Zero! I always make mental goals but they're hard to stick with. Maybe typing them out will help. Ready for a long post?

I am leaving for vacation today, so it may not be a good time for me to try to make any changes right now. However, I was already planning to do this sort of thing (get fit, eat better) upon getting back from my trip. I am a very healthy eater as far as veganism, but I want to get down to the 'nitty gritty' of nutrients - stay more raw - and maybe get creative with raw by trying something other than a salad or veggies and dip, haha. I will have more access to food at this time, as well as a Raw 'Uncookbook' assuming I find one to buy on my trip.

So anyways,
    After my trip, I plan to buy groceries this Sunday afternoon, which will be March 2nd. The next week will work as follows:

Monday, March 3rd: 80% raw day
    Tuesday: 100% raw day (except one black coffee)
    Wednesday: 80% raw day
    Thursday: 100% raw day, except one black coffee.
    (my boyfriend leaves for his vacation on this day, which means I won't have to rely on caffiene to stay awake late to hang out with him)
    Friday, March 8th: 80% raw day. Giving up coffee.
    And we'll see how it progresses from there. I'm really enjoying raw, but I think 80% every other day is a realistic goal for now.

As for exercise, I will get some form of intense cardio at least 20 minutes each day, whether it be from running (wishful thinking...maybe it will be warm enough!), biking, dancing or anything else, plus at least 50 crunches and 25 pushups.

I want to do this so I can feel and look healthier. I don't need to lose much weight - five to eight pounds at the very most, but I could definitely stand to get back in better shape. The long, cold winter has left me pretty lazy and I've lost a lot of tone. The 'boyfriend going away' situation will leave me with a lot of time I won't know what to do with. I can fill it in by exercising, keeping to better study habits, and catching up on the extra sleep I'll need without my caffiene. I'm determined. I've been a caffiene addict all my life.

I guess that's it then. Hey Zero, would you PM me on Friday or Saturday at the end of this week to remind me to review this post? I'll probably forget since I won't be online all week.

Good luck with your goals! I think you'll do great - I already know you have willpower or "stick-to-it-iveness" since you're already raw
    I will post daily updates when I get started in a week.

Other goals for the spring: Finish school projects. Sort out everything I don't want, and take it to Goodwill. Continue to save up for school and laptop. Apply for jobs at least a month before school is out.

Zero

Cool Cup'O'Tea, I will send you a note at the end of the week.

My goal for this whole week is to go 100% raw. I need to eat healthy to gain energy!!
    For exercise, I'll walk home from school instead of taking the bus. (50 minutes away walking!) I have to do mild exercise for the reason that I'm running the L.A Marathon this Sunday.

I like this idea too!

1) Build up the strength to quit smoking by Sunday
    2) Start at the gym on Sunday.
    3) Keep up with the healthy plan I'm on - i.e low fat, high fibre, no refined sugars or carbs, fresh homemade products where possible eg juice etc, more raw food.
    4) Go to gym at least 3 times a week!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Good luck you lot!

emzy what are you going to do to help you with the smoking? People I know swear by the Alan Carr video (where you smoke your last cig whilst watching the video) and Paul McKenna is supposed to be good too. (Those who try to do it through willpower alone tend to be less successful.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I have no idea really but my reasons are things that will help:

1) It costs a bomb!
    2) It is fucking my system up
    3) I don't wanna look like a twat with my omni friends at the gym
    4) I have lower lung capacity than a normal person due to severe phenmonia as a child so therefore smoking damages me more.
    5) Debates on the forum

I will obviously go "cold tofurky" but I dunno what else will help. Emily is becomming straight edge so that will help alot.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I have no idea really but my reasons are things that will help:

1) It costs a bomb!
    2) It is fucking my system up
    3) I don't wanna look like a twat with my omni friends at the gym
    4) I have lower lung capacity than a normal person due to severe phenmonia as a child so therefore smoking damages me more.
    5) Debates on the forum

I will obviously go "cold tofurky" but I dunno what else will help. Emily is becomming straight edge so that will help alot.
    I find gum helps a lot when I crave a joint and I haven't got one. Stock up on vegan gum! Or some kind of lollipop...Or mints, or juice ice cubes. Just something small you can have when a craving hits that suits your tastes.

I smoke too much pot. It's the one thing that keeps me from being really healthy and rich. Oh well. I'll tackle that one some other time.

Emzy, I know of another vegan who started smoking those herbal cigarettes in an effort to cut down. You can find them at a health food store or order online. After my grandfather's stroke, the doctors put him on the Nicotine patch and it worked really good. But then someone in our family (we don't know who!) gave him a cigarette and it went all downhill from there.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

ooo Emzy good job!!! So very proud of you!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Zero

Go for it Emzy!

Zero

Day 1

Today was pretty good.

I only had about 4 hours of sleep last night so I knew today was going to have to be a pretty much all fruit day for me to function properly.

Fuel:
    7 Bananas
    200g Blueberries
    2 Date and seed bars
    A big bunch of Grapes
    Avocado and Red Pepper salad (I realized I still have a bunch of Alfalfa sprouts and some greens in the fridge)
    1 Little gem lettuce

Excercise:
    45 minutes cross trainer (gym)

Thanks! I don't really wanna smoke anything anymore so the herbal ones are a no go. It also means giving up the weed which I enjoy, but can actually not afford to buy ever and it affects my personality if I have too much which is never good. So drugs have got to go and so have ciggs.

Zero

Talking Re: 30 Day Vegan Fitness Challenge

Day 2

Feeling great still, got to get to work early tomorrow but it shouldn't be a problem, I have even more energy than usual.

Fuel:
    7 Bananas
    200g Blueberries
    1 Little gem lettuce
    2 date and seed bars
    1 Coconut
    1 Cucumber
    200g Rasins
    Juice of 1 Whole lemon squeezed in water

Excercise:
    1hr Cardio Combat workout.

Hey I gave up caffeine!

No tea since last Thursday!! Detox was awful for one day. Now I have sciatica, which seems to be healing. I heard it takes a week for tea detox.

Starting March 21, when I begin my new career, I'm upping my raw percentage.

Zero, while I have you here ... how necessary are greens? I used to eat a huge salad every day for lunch, but now that I'm going to be working in different places all the time, I won't be able to keep things in a cabinet like I used to (stuff that takes time to use, such as raw nori, raw cashews) -- I'd rather just make a huge fruit salad every day.

Is that okay? Does that mean I have to make greens a part of my dinner?

Zero

Quote Healthy View Post
    Hey I gave up caffeine!

Zero, while I have you here ... how necessary are greens?
    Hi Healthy,

Well done on giving up caffeine, I finally stopped drinking green tea about a month ago, now I just get the naturally caffeine free herbal teas.

Greens are as necessary in your diet as you see them to be. If you enjoy having them and you are feeling good eating them, then have them!

I still eat some greens, I may not ever stop eating them, who knows. I find them heavier than fruit due to the fibre, they are very alkalizing.

I used to make a fruit salad for breakfast every morning, but I tended to not feel as good eating all different fruits as I do when I eat mono fruit, but just do what feels best for you and listen to what your body needs.

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

I'm up for this too!

My goals for the next 30days, starting today are:

1.) to eat healthier
    2.) loose 7lbs
    3.) use my step counter more which encourages me to exercise more with walking and jogging!
    (yes i do weight watchers !!)

Good idea Zero!

yum
    x

I'm just going to keep it simple and just say that I want to be cycling at least 100 miles a week by the end of the month and try and conquer some of the naughty hills that have been defeating me of late. Oh and learn to ignore my HRM as it just scares me and gets in the way.

I did try Weight Watchers before I was vegan, they couldn't cope with me being vegetarian and being male as well was too much for them to bear.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

wow! i love this idea of getting some support or atleast to know others are trying too! most of my friends are not interested in cleaning up and stuff like that and certainly not veganism. its nice to know you guys are trying...

So, for me unfortunately i cant go too raw as my constitution (ayurveda) is with fire dominance right now and my digestion is atrocious to say the least. I tend to lightly steam most of my stuff anyway so its easier for my poorly digestion.

my aim for the next month then is to stop eating chocolate. and added sugar, so that means also to eliminate coffee, which i usually do, but lately have stepped it right up for unknown reasons..probably addicted.

im going to eat brown rice atleast once a day, and move onto 3 litres of water a day instead of 2. (i live in india and its boiling hot)

more than the food concerns (i think im ok apart from not enough rice and too many stimulating foods) i will brush my skin twice daily for the next month and walk atleast one hour on the beach each day. And im gonna get down to my yoga practice for atleast an hour a day. i keep finding excuses, the main being the dog in my neighbourhood that screams all day as it is 24 hours on a chain. that really messes up my concentration actually.. this is india, its not just like i can go tell the owners something. im a visitor here and in past experience it does not go down well at all........and i feel guilty all the time about not being able to do anything......people around here are known to poison each others dogs if feuds arrive so i have to madly endure this poor animals screams. anyway....i will not let that stop my yoga like i have let it till now. cheers everyone and and good luck with all your aims.

Zero

Cool Anula, I am glad you have joined the site and this thread. Skin brushing great, I need to get back to doing that too.

You don't need to go raw to post your goals here, the real focus is just to come up with some goals that get you heathier and more active for the next 30 days and any other personal life goals you want to set. So your goals look great.

Have a great day

Day 2
    3 strawberries
    hand full of blueberries
    2 carrot sticks
    larabar

For lunch and dinner
    Banana
    apple
    romaine lettuce
    pear

exercise
    walk for 90 minutes
    J

Thanks for the advice Zero.

I used to mono eat a lot, I really enjoyed it.

My favorite mono day ever was a durian day

And I used to blend my greens (90 percent spinach/10 percent orange juice) ... since I moved in with my boyfriend, his food prep area is a lot smaller than I'm used to, so it's awkward using things like blenders and juicers -- not much room to do all the chopping and cleaning.

Guess I should just get used to it.

Zero

Day 3

Feeling good. Got up at 5am this morning to get to work for 7:30. I certainly felt more "awake" even than usual. Long day though.

Fuel:
    7 Tangerines
    6 Bananas
    1/2 Cucumber
    1 Pear
    4 Larabars (craziness)
    Salad with Avocado, sweet pepper, cucumber, alfafa sprouts, lettuce and hemp and tamari dressing.
    1 small piece of coconut
    1/2 cup rasins

Excercise:

Today was a light day
    30 minute walk
    20 minute floor excercises

My goals for the next 30 days (beginning 27th Feb) are:

~ Get more sunshine
    ~ Spend more time outdoors
    ~ Hug more
    ~ Laugh more
    ~ Get to bed before midnight
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

Zero

Talking Re: 30 Day Vegan Fitness Challenge

Quote Anamal33 View Post
    Day 2
    3 strawberries
    hand full of blueberries
    2 carrot sticks
    larabar

For lunch and dinner
    Banana
    apple
    romaine lettuce
    pear

exercise
    walk for 90 minutes
    J

Sounds cool Anamal, it's funny when you eat raw simply you don't really meals, it's just a list of different stuff! I love it because it goes against preconditioned society

Zero

Day 4

I really wanted to eat some cooked food today, I get like that every once in a while, and in the past I would submit to it and have a sandwich or some soup or something then go back to raw.

I fought this today though. It's strange how it manifests, it just shows how addictive grains are, I just wanted to eat pasta, or rice or bread.

I think with upping the excersize it is furthering my detox because my metabolism is increased. I haven't really eaten much more fruit than usual so far, but I am ok with that.

I did end up eating 3 Nak'd bars, these are not raw in my opinion but are healthier than say eating a sandwich like i wanted to, the oats in those bars are not raw, but they are made with love

I felt a small amount of pressure in one of kidney's all afternoon, so I think that it was getting rid of something.

Fuel:
    8 Tangerines
    2 Bananas
    1 Cucumber
    1/2 Head of lettuce
    1/2 Bell pepper
    1/2 Cup of Hemp seeds
    1/2 Cup rasins
    A few cashews

Excercise:
    20 minute walk
    30 minutes Tai Chi
    15 minutes floor core excercises

Zero

Day 5

This day was ok, although I eat a little of something that wasn't raw in the evening and I didn't really excercise, going to have to make up for that on day 6.

Fuel:
    4 Oranges
    4 Bananas
    1 Cucumber
    1/2 Head of lettuce
    1/2 Bell pepper
    1/2 Cup of Hemp seeds
    1/2 Cup rasins
    4 Apples
    200g Blueberries

Excercise:
    20 minute walk

Not raw:
    Rice noodles with mushrooms

One week without caffeine tea -- no headaches at all. And that's unusual because I'm sick as a dog (could it be from caffeine detox? because I haven't had a cold since 1998!) Also getting a lot of aches and pains.

So since Thursday all I've been eating was fresh fruit and drinking flash pasteurized juices and coconut water ... and some miso soup.

Last night I had a super strong craving for roasted potatoes, so my boyfriend brought two huge containers home for me.

Today I had fresh watermelon, a dragon fruit and a blood orange. Fresh pineapple and mango are waiting for me for later.

After reading about Zero's rice noodles, I'm thinking spinach noodles for tonite.

Can't wait to have the strength to exercise again ... I miss my yoga sooooo much.

Zero

Quote Healthy View Post
    One week without caffeine tea -- no headaches at all. And that's unusual because I'm sick as a dog (could it be from caffeine detox? because I haven't had a cold since 1998!) Also getting a lot of aches and pains.
    Yeah, all of that is detox. You may findold aches you haven't felt in years come back and then are healed properly.

Zero

Day 6

I was out and about today looking at apartments, (I am going to move at the end of the month) I met up with one of my friends after and he suggested we go to the Warehouse Cafe (vegetarian and vegan restaurant). I gave in and went, I ended up eating cooked food again! I haven't eaten this much cooked in a while!

The saving grace however is that of you were going to eat cooked food the Warehouse Cafe is one of the best places to go, it's all organic and pretty much made from stratch, you can tell it's also made with love you can tell.

Fuel:
    4 Bananas
    4 Apples
    1 Salad

Excercise:
    Gym - 30 min cross trainer
    Various weights
    Floor excercises
    Treadmill
    Total: 1:10

Not raw:
    Vegan chili burger

See no one is perfect, I just have to get back to my proper diet tomorrow just like I'd tell anyone else.

Zero

Quote Healthy View Post
    So since Thursday all I've been eating was fresh fruit and drinking flash pasteurized juices and coconut water ... and some miso soup.

Healthy,

Be carefull mixing those pasturized juices with raw foods, they are very acidic to the body generally.
    But if it's working for you then good.

JC

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Thanks! I don't really wanna smoke anything anymore so the herbal ones are a no go. It also means giving up the weed which I enjoy, but can actually not afford to buy ever and it affects my personality if I have too much which is never good. So drugs have got to go and so have ciggs.
    what's the proper name for weed? i've always wondered

Cannabis! The chemical that gets you high is called THC. Don't ask me what it stands for. Although I do know I cannot spell it as it is long and I'm a little drunk so no.

This sounds like the frederick patenaud challenge I did a few months back. I could do with another go.

GOALS

I am trying to get down to my healthy weight range of 65 kilo's (5 to lose)
    Become fitter.
    Avoid having so many migraines (up to 3 a week)
    And over all be fit and healthy when I go into hospital for my operation in a few months.

TODAY

1 hour Body step

I would like to post my daily consumtion if no one object so I can get feedback on any ideas to improve. So

small bowl cornflakes and soy
    1 apple spice muffin
    roast veg and curry puffs (2)
    spinach & veg cannelloni
    bread roll w/meal
    soy ice cream in cone
    pear

Yesterday I went for a walk in the morning and one in the afternoon and then I went to bed around 9pm

Walking does'nt thrill me so I think I'm going to take up something speedier.

I got a tiny bit of sunshine when the clouds cleared briefly. I have no control over the weather but I did dash out the door the moment I saw some blue sky.

I'm trying to eat more to fuel my 'speedier intentions'.
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

Ok so I started my new fitness challenge yesterday. I went to gym and spoke to a personal trainer who got me all weighed up and bmi 'd etc etc.

Sooooo:

BMI = 20 (Which she said was under what it should be)
    Height = 5"11
    Weight = 10.5 stone
    Body Fat % = 29% ( which she said was in the healthy range)

Anyway we set up a work out programe for me which means I won't lose weight, will get healthy and put on some muscle mass. She also asked if I wanted to talk about my diet. I replied that I was vegan so I wasn't really interested in conventional nutritional advice. She then told me that she had been vegetarian for 15 years and was making the transition to veganism for health reasons. WAY HEY! Good to have someone on hand ay?

Anyway yesterdays work out plan was:

Treadmill - 5minutes at walking pace as a warm up
    Bikes - 20 minutes on medium intensity (about 70-80rpm)
    Stepper - 10 minutes medium intensity
    x/trainer - 10 minutes low intensity
    30 sit ups on own and 30 on machine
    15 side sit ups on each side
    Biceps
    Triceps
    Chest press
    Inner and outter thigh weight machines
    Leg Press
    Lat Machine

That worked out to be about an hour and a half and then a steam room afterwards as a treat

Ate pretty well yesterday too!

Fresh squeezed 0j (homemade)
    Wholemeal bagel with peanut butter & jam
    Sun flower seeds
    Roast potatoes, brocolli, green beans, carrots and some sage and onion stuffing with gravy.

AND NOT ONE SINGLE CIGGERETTE

Zero

Way to go Emzy!

Zero,
    I prefer eating that way. I don't get hungry easily.

I haven't posted in a few days for the reason that I have been preparing for the marathon. It was yesterday and it was BRUTAL! but I made it. I haven't eaten since Friday- I 'm still full since Friday because I ate too much.

Zero

Day 9

The last couple of days I didn't accomplish any significant exercise. So I will be hitting the gym tonight.
    Saturday was good because I got a good work out it the gym and had lots of endurance.

It is clear from doing cardio combat that my limbs are quite strong but my core really needs more strength, so I going to push towards that a little more.

I already have today planned out:

Fuel:
    2 Bananas
    1 Orange
    5 Apples
    Raw Lasagna (Cucumber, tomato, basil, "seed cheez" made from soaked sunflower seeds, red sweet pepper, spinach.

Excercise:

Gym -
    Cross Trainer 30min
    Free weights (upper body)
    Core excercises (floor)

Zero

Quote Anamal33 View Post
    I haven't posted in a few days for the reason that I have been preparing for the marathon. It was yesterday and it was BRUTAL! but I made it. I haven't eaten since Friday- I 'm still full since Friday because I ate too much.
    Good going! Glad you made it!

Day 4

No fags at all for four whole days

Diet is staying healthy and nutritious although I wish I could eat as little as you raw guys. I know why you eat so little as well and I envy your resolve. I unfortunately am a whore for cooked foods although I do eat a raw breakfast pretty much everyday unless I have cereal!

Haven't exercised for two days due to preparing for life changing job interview. Will be hitting the gym Friday, Saturday and Sunday for 2 hour long work outs and maybe a steam room afterwards.

Zero

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Day 4

No fags at all for four whole days

Diet is staying healthy and nutritious although I wish I could eat as little as you raw guys. I know why you eat so little as well and I envy your resolve. I unfortunately am a whore for cooked foods although I do eat a raw breakfast pretty much everyday unless I have cereal!
    Emzy,

Opinion:

It is because raw foods have so much more nutrients and fibre in them compared to that of cooked, with cooked food you need to eat more because a lot of the food is empty, even though it is filling you don't get what you need as quickly, a big noticable difference on raw is how much lighter you feel.

Sounds like you are doing great! I remember giving up smoking stay strong!

Quote Zero View Post
    Emzy,

Opinion:

It is because raw foods have so much more nutrients and fibre in them compared to that of cooked, with cooked food you need to eat more because a lot of the food is empty, even though it is filling you don't get what you need as quickly, a big noticable difference on raw is how much lighter you feel.

Sounds like you are doing great! I remember giving up smoking stay strong!
    Dude I know! I was thinking about going raw for a long long time and decided I didn't wanna go 100% at the moment but maybe one day in the future.

Giving up smoking sucks! I'm coughing alot!!!

Zero

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Giving up smoking sucks! I'm coughing alot!!!
    Yeah, but as you know, your lungs are clearing themselves, so it's a good thing.
    Drink water with lemon juice in it, it should help.

Well done with the smoking emzy! You are doing great!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

It's wierd! I'm coughing up loadsa shit and my skin is awful cuz of the shit comming out......but I really don't want a fag until I get home from work. I just sit there and think, " what am I supposed to do now?" So I play xbox or go to the gym.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    It's wierd! I'm coughing up loadsa shit and my skin is awful cuz of the shit comming out......but I really don't want a fag until I get home from work. I just sit there and think, " what am I supposed to do now?" So I play xbox or go to the gym.
    Where I come from 'fag' = homosexual

Suddenly my challenge has intesified.

I've just heard from the hospital that my operation wil be next Thurs

I think I'm too scared to eat anything, let alone healthy.

I think I'll hit the gym big time..