Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone exercise at home?

Default Anyone exercise at home?

Anymore,lol? Every thread i see about exercise and it's always 'Oh i must get to the gym tonight' and then there's the guilt if a gym day's missed out.It's easy enough to get a routine to do at home as well (and saves a fortune ) and you can fit it in whenever you want!
    Pushups are obviously easy to do whenever/wherever with varying distance between your hands to work various upper body back/arms/chest muscles!
    2 x 10kg weights that can be adjusted are great for biceps curls and working triceps,or take most of the weights off and just box with them, a very efficient exercise.Also hold them and step up and down onto a seat or do squats, great for quads,calfs,gluteus
    Sit ups, again various types, can be done anywhere/anytime.
    A chin up bar for £7 can be fitted in a door frame and 10 or 15 pull ups done every time you walk past. Great for the arms,back and stomach.
    Dips can be done using a chair behind you or for full body weight, anywhere that your arms can reach either side of you like the corner of a kitchen worktop.
    A skipping rope for cardio and a local park if you're into yer 5 mile runs and there you go!
    Watch folks, gyms become highly addictive and i've seen people actually get depressed by missing a day so even if you can't stop going at least have a back up plan at home with some of these mentioned so you don't lose out on your endorphin rush!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Good sperm

Default Re: Anyone exercise at home?

I run, which is free. I do sit-ups and press-ups at home, and I swim at my local leisure centre which costs me £19 a month for unlimited use.

And I'd do that in the bath if it were big enough

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    I run, which is free. I do sit-ups and press-ups at home, and I swim at my local leisure centre which costs me £19 a month for unlimited use.

And I'd do that in the bath if it were big enough
    Good one! I know folk that spend £40/£50 a month on gym membership! Fine if you go every day but it's always a year contract and none of them ever keep going for longer than 3 or 4 months so its over £400 down the drain, it's a lot of money. They'd be better buying one of the fancy home gyms and keeping it in the cupboard,lol, at least they'd have something to show!

I use a local council gym (I'm in Edinburgh, gogs67) and you don't sign up for a year's membership, as far as I remember, just a month at a time. I pay direct debit and as I have a disability I get a substantial discount, it costs £19 a month and I go to aquafit as well as use the gym. So I would advise people to check out local authority facilities as an alternative to private gyms.

But there are days I can't face going in or am too busy so thanks for the ideas on how to do stuff at home. My long term exercise goal is to be able to jog and cycle and not bother with the gym, but for now, the gym is how I am working to be fit enough to run etc.

Quote AnneCE View Post
    I use a local council gym (I'm in Edinburgh, gogs67) and you don't sign up for a year's membership, as far as I remember, just a month at a time. I pay direct debit and as I have a disability I get a substantial discount, it costs £19 a month and I go to aquafit as well as use the gym. So I would advise people to check out local authority facilities as an alternative to private gyms.

But there are days I can't face going in or am too busy so thanks for the ideas on how to do stuff at home. My long term exercise goal is to be able to jog and cycle and not bother with the gym, but for now, the gym is how I am working to be fit enough to run etc.
    Yep, i used to have a council leisure card, was really worthwhile, i could use the gym/swim for free before 12 every day during the week and got discounts on indoor football,golf, etc and, as you say, was only a monthly D/D, no yearly thing. Far, far better than all the 'private' gyms that seem to be springing up all over the place courtesy of Duncan Bannatyne, lol!
    (I just hate lining the pockets of rich businessmen,lol)

I own my own treadmill and I walk on that for 30 minutes to 1 hour every day.

I do push-ups, stretches, and crunches at home while watching The Daily Show. I also do 2 ten minute sets on my bf's stair-stepper. I try to do this 4-5 times a week.

I have been thinking about joining a gym, however, because I have this block of time on Fridays that I have nothing to do during (hard to explain; I can't go home and putz around). I figured if I joined a gym, I would be able to go at least every Friday in that otherwise lost block of time.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

You can't go wrong with running as a easy exercise to fit into a busy day. I ran for about 20 years and keep meaning to start again as I have put nearly 3 stones on since I stopped.

I am not a gym person, I hated going whenever I've been a member of one and have never been able to keep it up for long.
    I now have a trampoline in the back garden and am jumping on that every day and trying to increase my stamina.

Nice tips there though gogs, thanks.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I work out at least twice a week, but often more. Mostly weights.

I'm a swimmer though, so being too broke to own my own 25yd or 50m pool, I have to resort to using whatever public pools are available. Otherwise, I'd never go to a gym.
    context is everything

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    I work out at least twice a week, but often more. Mostly weights.

I'm a swimmer though, so being too broke to own my own 25yd or 50m pool, I have to resort to using whatever public pools are available. Otherwise, I'd never go to a gym.
    I thought almost everyone in the states had their own pool?Damn, i'm disappointed!

You must mean a "pool of money". Yeah. Everyone's got one of these right next to the streets paved with gold. Here in the good ol' USA.

Too bad US money is about to get some parity with the Rupee. If it was in Euros, the "pool of money" would have two coins in it. And that would be quite painful to dive into.

[/fantasy]
    context is everything

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    You must mean a "pool of money". Yeah. Everyone's got one of these right next to the streets paved with gold. Here in the good ol' USA.

Too bad US money is about to get some parity with the Rupee. If it was in Euros, the "pool of money" would have two coins in it. And that would be quite painful to dive into.

[/fantasy]
    Sadly the pound isnae faring too well against the Euro either (though we're still well up on the $ which is a godsend for visits over there), prices in real terms have almost doubled in the last 3 years for us going over to the likes of Holland and Germany now!
    It's only gonna get worse as well, as more and more oil is being traded in Euros rather than the good old dollar!

I used to work out at home - lunges etc. I used tins of tomatoes for weights!

I'm really not a gym person. Once, when I did go to one, my sister and I got stuck on one of the machines (long story!). One or both of us was about to get a limb squished. Did the beefy bodybuilders around us do more than just stare at us blankly in our hour of need? Nope!

cobweb

i do yoga at home if that counts

Quote cobweb View Post
    Hahaha, it all counts, don't worry! *thumbs up*

I rarely exercise at home. I go to gym. I'm no good at motivating myself. I need a class instructor to do it for me- I'm too lazy otherwise. It works. I go 6 times a week!!

I have alot of health issues including a heart condition that prevents me from running....which i used to LOVE doing....Im overweight, so ive changed my way of eating because of that and ethical reasons as well...

What exercises i do at home now are Walk Away the Pounds mostly...they are very low impact and i dont "hurt" after I do them...plus my 2 1/2 year old loves to do them with me lol
    ~Wendy~

I like exercising at home and outside in my neighbourhood (i.e walking) but sometimes I really want to go to a gym to use the workout machines for a higher intensity.

I also can't do yoga or pilates at home because I can never follow the DVDs exactly and I would prefer a teacher to make sure I'm having good posture, etc.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

In theory yes. The machines, the weights etc..are in place. But I'm being a lazy git.

i exercise at home everyday.
    i mostly work out on the ball.
    ab workouts and arm strength.
    i have a really old tread machine as well and although its older than me...it works fine.
    i prefer working out at home or around the nieghborhood i'm not a fan of the gym. too many people

The best possible workout for any gender/age is endurance stretches with weights. This can be 2 "1 liter soya milk cartons." The gym and walking, and anything else cardiovascular is obviously great for you, but I find that pilates or yoga 3 times a week, and some stretches at night with some type of weights in hand, really makes the body look and feel balanced.

sugarmouse

I have one of those round things that you stand on and twist about on...I havea punchbag, pilates ball.. dumbells..I use dumbells often, punchbag quite a lot..I just muck about on the ball!Dont know how to use it properly.I used to love workout videos but now my video player is broken, and I have no workout DVDs I like...I have anthea turners (too difficult to follow and she grates on me) Jade Goody's (unwanted present, Id get more exercise walking round the front room than using that,its so slow.)...

I do my weights a lot though and I like the twisty thing..tis fun! Id love to find a good exercise DVD I like though... going to the gym to run on the treadmill, I love!But tis expensive and obviously you have to get dressed and leave the house and all such things!

I just cycle quite a lot and dont really care about exercise
    When I'm at my mum's house I cycle at least 2 miles every day going to school and back, when I'm at my dads its 7 miles each way which I can still do pretty easily ..
    Cycled 63 miles (From Edinburgh to Stirling and then to Dunfermline, got the train back) a couple of weeks ago, might be doing that again soon.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

I do yoga and dance every night. It's important for me to stay flexible and keep my cardio endurence up so that I can get in a good class when dance classes begin again. I also have a punching bag, It's mostly just for stress relive. And I have a balence ball, Resistence bands and weights and weighted 'medicine balls'. I also have an elliptical bike that I use when I don't get a chance to go to them gym.
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

Quote treehugga View Post
    I rarely exercise at home. I go to gym. I'm no good at motivating myself. I need a class instructor to do it for me- I'm too lazy otherwise. It works. I go 6 times a week!!
    I'm the same way, I love work out classes, I just finished a weight lifting class and I'm soo going to feel it tomorrow. If I can't get to a class I work out at home (if my roommate is gone) to Advanced Tae-bo video. It's the only workout DVD that's ever been challenging enough, though now it's gotten easy. I think machines are the most boring things in the world though and avoid them at all costs.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

The only exercise I can do consistently is at home. I do a lot of random stuff with back therapy, yoga, ballet, pilates, etc. Other than that, if I'm well, I'll head to the gym to use the elliptical machine. I would love to be able to run and not pay for gym memberships but my joints can't handle it. I often can't even do the cardio because I'm sick, so yoga is the main thing I do now to keep my flexibility and minimal muscle tone/ strength.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    . . yoga or pilates at home . . . I would prefer a teacher to make sure I'm having good posture, etc.
    Me too, because I have scoliosis but I'm also a perfectionist.

I reckon once I've mastered the postures I could do it at home but I've tried several yoga classes where the teachers weren't great at individual help and also did one to one pilates sessions for a while but the teacher was always really late and too interested in chatting so I stopped going.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Hmm, I like to do more of my stretching at home. I also do some yoga and some of the Tibetan Rites poses as well.

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week for atleast an hour. I walk on the treadmill, quite fast and on an incline and then I hop on the stationary bike. I'll do weights, mostly arms, using the machines and some for abs and I'll do squats w/ a fitness ball behind my back against a wall.

I also cycle twice a week, unless the weather is awful, then I'll gym instead or not do anything.

I've just ordred a skipping rope from ebay, hope it arrives soon, for arvos/evenings when I get home and can't drag myself to the gym.

Here is a link with about a million exercises you can do (mostly) without weights...

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthrea...23&an=0&page=0

Quote Fuhzy View Post
    Here is a link with about a million exercises you can do (mostly) without weights...

Excellent site!

I use hand weights, do yoga and walk/slow jog for exercise. I'm considering getting another bike. The time spent going to and from the gym was always the main reason I never made it there regularly. I doubt I'll ever have another gym membership. I'm rather happy exercising at home and I love going for walks with my dog and getting fresh air. I do miss the tennis court at my old gym.
    ----

great link- thanks!
    "The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking." -byron

I've been doing yoga and light weights at home for over 20 years.

Over the years, occasionally I'd take a dance class, yoga classes, join a gym ... but none of that lasted as long becaue it's just not me.

Home is best because I can be consistent. It's part of my day. I get up, meditate and do my yoga/light weights. This routine is even for weekends and vacations ... I can't function unless my day starts like that

Of course I go swimming, go out dancing, go for walks, bike ride, hike, etc. also.

heat13

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Anymore,lol? Every thread i see about exercise and it's always 'Oh i must get to the gym tonight' and then there's the guilt if a gym day's missed out.It's easy enough to get a routine to do at home as well (and saves a fortune ) and you can fit it in whenever you want!
    Pushups are obviously easy to do whenever/wherever with varying distance between your hands to work various upper body back/arms/chest muscles!
    2 x 10kg weights that can be adjusted are great for biceps curls and working triceps,or take most of the weights off and just box with them, a very efficient exercise.Also hold them and step up and down onto a seat or do squats, great for quads,calfs,gluteus
    Sit ups, again various types, can be done anywhere/anytime.
    A chin up bar for £7 can be fitted in a door frame and 10 or 15 pull ups done every time you walk past. Great for the arms,back and stomach.
    Dips can be done using a chair behind you or for full body weight, anywhere that your arms can reach either side of you like the corner of a kitchen worktop.
    A skipping rope for cardio and a local park if you're into yer 5 mile runs and there you go!
    Watch folks, gyms become highly addictive and i've seen people actually get depressed by missing a day so even if you can't stop going at least have a back up plan at home with some of these mentioned so you don't lose out on your endorphin rush!
    I use to think I HAD to go to the gym to get a good workout. But my sister is now an in-home personal trainer and she had given me lots of wonderful workouts to do at home! Lots of push-ups and plank poses, lunges, dips, etc. You don't need much equiptment at all. I picked up a "step" at a yard sale as well as a stationary bike. And you do short bursts of cardio in between circuits to keep your heart rate up. I love it and I actually feel like I have more energy than before! Plus the workouts are funner and much more variety than lifting weights at the gym. If anyone is interested, I can give you some sample workouts that are so much fun!

heat13

Talking Re: Anyone exercise at home?

Quote Fuhzy View Post

Great link- thanks for sharing

I do alot of walking usually- about 2.5 hours in the county up and down hills - also i own a Xtrainer and use that for high intensity.

i own some wieghts too - only 3kg and less tho. Yet i cant say ive been organised into using them just yet and i own a mat too lol.

Ive gained weight from depression and other things and trying to organise eating a healthier vegan way and exerciseing too.

good thread.

heat13

Quote blue-y View Post
    I do alot of walking usually- about 2.5 hours in the county up and down hills - also i own a Xtrainer and use that for high intensity.

i own some wieghts too - only 3kg and less tho. Yet i cant say ive been organised into using them just yet and i own a mat too lol.

Ive gained weight from depression and other things and trying to organise eating a healthier vegan way and exerciseing too.

good thread.
    Blue-y, your avatar is TOO CUTE

No, I'm not disciplined enough. Corum and I are off to the beach later for a long bike ride. The good thing about exercising outside is that however tired you are you can't stop because you somehow have to get home again
    Silent but deadly :p

Blue-y, your avatar is TOO CUTE
    I cant take credit - funny what ya cna find in google ; )

The good thing about exercising outside is that however tired you are you can't stop because you somehow have to get home again

Thats my routine/motto too!
    Control ur health - control ur life
    makes others healthy wealthy and wise.

I have a gym membership mainly because it has a nursery (hard to work out with 3 kids) and a pool plus we get it as a perk from dh's work. But I do like to work out at home too. I have some dvd's and a ball. I also take taekwondo classes 2-4 days a week. THAT is like boot camp!

Yes i do. I have a dance mat and i have weights.
    I do exercise at the gym because i work in one but i do like the privacy of my own house.

I regularly use PowerBlocks at home, along with a balance ball for sit-ups and decline push-ups (and of course I look exactly like the person depicted in the photo at that second link.... okay, not).
    Visit: abolitionistapproach.com, peaceopie.com, bostonvegan.org, and vegandocumentary.com

I rarely work out at home. When there's nothing good on TV. )

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Quote cobweb View Post
    I do Yoga at home, Iyengar and Ying styles. Does dancing around to music when dusting count?
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

I do yoga at home, too. Dancing definitely counts.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    I do yoga at home, too. Dancing definitely counts.
    Yes! Yes! Yes!
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

I do!! I do most of the things you mentioned like jumping rope or working with dumbbells and leg weights. But I still like the gym too because they have a treadmill and I don't, lol! I like to run but not outside. Treadmills save my knees!!!!!
    Please visit me at http://ispeakveganese.wordpress.com/

I used to skip (jumprope) at home, but now I live on a top floor flat I don't think it would be very appreciated by the people living below . I like the gym for classes, I always push myself harder than I do on my own, and they teach me some moves I can use on my own later. I also don't like running coz of my joints, so I like to use a cross trainer instead. So my home is pretty inactive at the moment, but that will hopefully change when I move out of this flat.

Yes, on my treadmill, and also YOGA.
    We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote heat13 View Post
    If anyone is interested, I can give you some sample workouts that are so much fun!
    Yes, please!

I walk the dogs, go up and down the stairs quite a bit and am going to get my daughter to lend me her Hairspray soundtrack CD so I can dance around to it. I reckon that should help me to lose some pounds. I'm slimmer than the wee girl in the film, so if she could do all that energetic dancing, surely I can? (But I'm nearly 50 years older....Hmmm.....)