Thread: Need Vegan Homeopathic Tablets

Default Need Vegan Homeopathic Tablets

Hi all,

I've been using Hyland's homeopathic tablets for years for my kids- they have great cold and teething tablets, etc. I just was reading the ingredients and saw that it had lactose in it. I confirmed from their website that it was lactose from cow's milk...I'm really bummed. I was wondering if any parents out there (or anyone else) knows of any vegan homeopathic tablets comparable to those that Hyland's offer?

Do all homeopathic tablets have a lactose base??

Thank you!

Default Re: Need Vegan Homeopathic Tablets

They don't have to have lactose in but commercially available ones do seem to. My daughter is treated at Bristol homeopathic hospital and gets hers on prescription - they are just on a sugar tablet I think - -certainly not lactose based. Do you have any local homeopaths you could talk to?

Hmmm...yes, I know of a great homeopath. I'm new to my area, so I haven't seen him yet. But good to know that there are vegan tablets out there! So bizarre to me that so many companies add ingredients to their health products that aren't heathful...just the way of the world I guess.

Thanks for responding. My daughter has not checked her email since we last talked. I'm sure your daughter's email is sitting in her inbox...she doesn't get on the internet much and when she does she is obsessed with her Webkinz!

Have a great day.

Not much use since I'm in the UK but there are several homeopathic chemists here who will post you your tablets in sugar pillule (?sp) form instead of the lactose tablet - but if you don't ask you get lactose tablet by default. (My homeopath included the cost of tablets in her fee but she only kept lactose ones so I had to get mine myself. I used Helios and Ainsworths chemists.)

As long as you know what you want and what strength I would imagine there must be someone who can do the same in your area.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I know believers are going to flame me for this, but there isn't anything in homeopathic "remedies" except for the medium they drop their "solutions" on to. Check out http://www.homeowatch.org/

and lots of people think veganism is bunk (from a health and philosophical perspective). does that mean we should allow them to criticise us?

amanda

Quote jonnie falafel View Post
    I know believers are going to flame me for this, but there isn't anything in homeopathic "remedies" except for the medium they drop their "solutions" on to. Check out http://www.homeowatch.org/
    that doesn't stop it from working
    Piggy

I doubt if anyone will flame you jf but on a thread which is discussing vegan versions of a treatment you can expect the people on it to disagree - they are clearly using homeopathy because it has worked for them or they are trying alternatives to avoid non-vegan treatments.

This is not a thread discussing whether homeopathy works (do a search to find that thread as I'm sure there was one).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote flying plum View Post
    and lots of people think veganism is bunk (from a health and philosophical perspective). does that mean we should allow them to criticise us?

amanda
    How do you stop them? And anyhow, what's wrong with a little criticism? Robust philosophies weather it and benefit from it. However, I do think there are all sorts of things that seem to have become intimately associated with veganism that open it up to perfectly valid criticsms and these are things like alternatives to medicine, crystals, nutritionism, dietary micromanagement & food fadism to name but a few. I was glad to see there were others with a rationalist outlook posting on this board.
    Last edited by jonnie falafel; Nov 1st, 2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling error

i do not actually practise homeopathy - i must admit that i am skeptical. however, you have consistently made your posting career here on the basis of telling people exactly why their outlook on life is wrong in all respects, be that trying to shop in a way which does not over-stretch their meagre monthly budget, engaging in slightly alternative medicines (which is not illogical if you think about it - many modern medicines are animal tested; it makes sense that most people would seek alternative medical fields for their cures), or their desire to try and eat what they perceive to be healthily.

yes, there are many things which veganism has become associated with which makes it seem negative to those on the outside. one of those things is people preaching their believes in a rather condescending manner. and your way of life, actually jonnie, has no less impact on negative connotations of veganism. insisting on 'good/proper' food, from nice friendly local retailers, an activist edge, a need to subvert modern capitalist trappings...all these things are no less irritating to outsiders, and no less associated with 'weird radicalism' than homeopathy or raw foodism. so just think a little bit before you throw stones next time.

amanda

looks like someone has a severe sindrome of playing the devil's advocate, rather than a rationalist outlook
    Piggy

Hi Amanda,

Glad you're a bit skeptical about homeopathy. Show you maybe think I have at least one valid view. I don't recall ever advocating "subverting modern capitalist trappings"... indeed, I'm not even clear what you mean by it. It's not language you'd ever hear me use to be truthful. Also, I've only posted on this board for a short while, so wait before you start talking about 'posting careers'... I wish people would really argue their point rather than resorting to ad hominem attacks. Sorry my vision of the world offended you I'd rather encourage than offend. Why do you feel that I'm attacking you when it seems we have a measure of agreement between us regarding homeopathy? ~ Jon
    Last edited by jonnie falafel; Nov 1st, 2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling error

ok, look, i don't want to come across as a bitch...but i just feel that your posts come across that you are not interested in debating, but rather just lecturing people.

your view of the world does not offend me, of course it doesn't. but, and i'm sure you don't mean it this way, your views do come across as somewhat patronising. and that is partly in the sarcasm you use (don't deny it, you have been highly sarcastic and it's come across as disrespectful on more than one occasion) and also the forum in which you choose to 'debate'. so often, for example on this thread, you take a situation which is not calling for criticism in this way, and put it in. as marrers said, there have been debates on whether or not homeopathy is effective or not. this thread was not it.

the same goes for the consistent comments about big businesses. we get it, you don't like them, we are satan for going in there. so create a thread to talk about it. don't plaster every thread which is not on that subject with your barbed comments.

there is nothing wrong with your viewpoints, just the manner and places you have chosen to express them on some occasions. in other posts, you come across as a nice, intelligent, mild-mannered guy, so i don't want to blanket you with a negative image.
    Last edited by flying plum; Nov 3rd, 2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: for unnecessarily being a bitch first time around

Unhappy Re: Need Vegan Homeopathic Tablets

I've just done a short course in Homeopathy. Some of the remedies definitely aren't vegan.

Hi Veg4life

Many commercial homeopathic tablets contain lactose by default. They've realized this is the most interesting sugar to use in the preparation of the tablets.

You can get hold of the contact of the maker of the tablets available around your area and ring them up and ask if they can make custom ones with just sacarose ("regular" sugar) or any other kind of vegan sugar. You can play dumb and say you are allergic to lactose. They will definetly comply. Or you can say that you're an ethical vegan and explain why you refuse to take lactose. It's up to you.

Let me know how you get on.