Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Coffee

Default Re: Coffee help!

97 degrees sounds about right. You want it once boiled, then wait until it stops bubbling and you're at around the right temperature. Same goes for green/white/herbal teas. For black tea you want the water actually boiling when you pour it over.

I disagree re: black coffee, but to each their own of couse. You're certainly right about freshly ground/Fairtrade/organic being the best, it's rare that I can be bothered to go to the trouble of freshly ground/filter coffee though!

I'd LOVE a proper espresso machine with milk steamer, bit pricey though, and my God cleaning them's a nightmare.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Over the course of my life, I've moved from instant coffee with milk and sugar to instant coffee with milk but no sugar, to instant without milk or sugar, to ground without milk or sugar and finally ended up grinding beans each morning (my own preference of grind, in a hand grinder) for a strong black coffee without milk or sugar, enjoyed when I'm ready for work but still have twenty minutes before I set off. A nice ritual and, for me, very satisfying.

And strangely enough, along that coffee journey, I have consumed less and less coffee until now, one cup a day would suffice, occasionally two, whereas I used to drink a dozen or more of the cheap stuff. Sort of, quality/quantity inverse relationship over time and so worth buying the best beans I can find.

Don't bother with an espresso machine, MA. A french press is all you need if you get the temperature and grind right. Those stove-top coffee percs are good too - you know, those with the screw-on base. They work really well but get a stainless steel one as opposed to a aluminium one.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Just to add another one to the pile ...

Rice Dream and Kalo brand rice milks both work brilliantly in both tea and coffee.

Beware the rice milk made by Provamel; That stuff tastes like it's made of goat sweat and water that has been used to wash a Sumo wrestlers pants - Yuk!
    All done in the best possible taste ...

leedsveg

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Beware the rice milk made by Provamel; That stuff tastes like it's made of goat sweat and water that has been used to wash a Sumo wrestlers pants - Yuk!
    It's expensive but I quite like it. Maybe I'd feel differently if I'd had intimate but traumatic moments in my life with goats and Sumo wrestlers pants, that Cupid Stunt must have had.

lv

[not the first time he's mentioned goats in his postings either!]

Default can i freeze so delicioius coffee creamer?

i am travelling to the caribbean and have heard it is advisable to bring food. i don't know if i can live without my so delicious coconut coffee creamer so was considering freezing and checking it with other goodies in my luggage. has anyone ever frozen this or something similar? any other tips on freezing vegan perishables (tofu, tempeh, soymilk, tofurkey, daiya, tofutti cream cheese, etc) would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Default Re: can i freeze so delicioius coffee creamer?

Tofu and tempeh you can definitely freeze although the texture of the tofu may alter a bit. Not sure about the other things you mention but I would be inclined to make the experiement anyway! If you do, please let us know your findings.

Default Re: can i freeze so delicioius coffee creamer?

Tofu actually has a wonderful texture after you freeze it, perfect for making tofu scrambles, "untuna" salad, and anything else that requires a "meatier" texture. You can freeze So Delicious coconut milk creamer, however the company does not recommended it, because it will not have the same texture when it thaws. I'm not sure how long your trip will take, but if it's less than a day, you can certainly put all of these items in an ice chest with freezer packs to keep them chilled, but not frozen, for the length of your journey.

My man prefers to get the Alpro soya light as opposed to the original stuff as he says it curdles less. I wouldn't know though, I like mine black.

After trying which soymilk is the best to use in coffee (frothing the milk on my espresso machine), I found the perfect solution - I quit coffee.

Not much worse than quitting a lot of other foodstuffs, and in the 3 weeks that I have now forfeited coffee (and fat, and sugar, btw), I had only positive side-effects.

MIght not work for everybody, but is maybe worth considering ;-)

Best regards,
    Andy

PS: And I have 4 espresso machines at home (including a professional one with mains connection) to brew that delicious poison - which are now only used to satisfy the needs of guests. But health is health - and finally I have found something to impress my wife with ;-)

Quote Andy_T View Post
    After trying which soymilk is the best to use in coffee (frothing the milk on my espresso machine), I found the perfect solution - I quit coffee.

Not much worse than quitting a lot of other foodstuffs, and in the 3 weeks that I have now forfeited coffee (and fat, and sugar, btw), I had only positive side-effects.

MIght not work for everybody, but is maybe worth considering ;-)

Best regards,
    Andy

PS: And I have 4 espresso machines at home (including a professional one with mains connection) to brew that delicious poison - which are now only used to satisfy the needs of guests. But health is health - and finally I have found something to impress my wife with ;-)
    Send me your professional espresso machine free of charge and I'll pay for post.

I'm really don't like soy milk in coffee. I just take coffee black. I'm really into coffee so I always buy high quality beans and take a fair amount of care in brewing my morning cup. I have a french press and moka pot that I use at home and usually just drink espresso if I go out for coffee. Milks for sissys

Quote Eat Y'self Fitter View Post
    Really sorry, can't remember if I posted this or not. Found in Stockwell, works really well
    You can also buy it in tescos really nice in coffee

Also id recommend Kara its coconut milk also found in Tescos in the long life section its a bit sweet but has the same consistancy of skimmed milk.

Also if your desprate and run out of any alternative you may put in coffee if you pre-heat soya milk so its warm not boiling it won't curdle

I had the same problem and ive only been vegan a month so ive went through so many alternatives and these for me work best
    Peace, Love and Coffee =)

So Good Latte for me

After years of purposefully avoiding Starbucks I succumbed to their powers a couple of months ago. The soya latte's are just out of this world! I would prefer to go somewhere that was a little less capitalist to purchase a coffee, but my small town has two Starbucks and several other coffee shops. The others have pretty poor coffee and 4/5 don't sell soya milk. I'm afraid I'm going to have to continue to have the capitalist tasty stuff
    I like football. And potatoes.

Default Re: The Coffee Thread

It's been mentioned by some other people on here already, but I've recently switched to sunrise soy milk (thanks to phoenixrising for introducing me to it). From my experience it is the only one which doesn't curdle at all when added to instant coffee. Also, they have an organic one variety, and it's sourced from european soya which makes me feel better (less miles). Downside is that it's not cheap :-(
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Last night I made a cup of coffee with Alpro Milk, a squeeze of Crusha hot chocolate syrup, instant coffee and hot water - for some reason it didn't curdle (could be the crusha?)

I think I've tried the Sunrise (is it the one that says it good for cafe's on the side?) and it was quite good, but after years of black coffee I prefer that most the time (unless I use all soya milk and no water).

cobweb

I use Alpro cream, it's great, you can just splodge it straight in.

Cobweb,
    Do you use fresh Alpro or the UHT, or does it not matter?

cobweb

Either is fine.

My friend made a latte with vanilla soya milk the other day (think it was Alpro) and it was a delicious treat!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote cobweb View Post
    I use Alpro cream, it's great, you can just splodge it straight in.
    I just tried this with the UHT stuff, it works, its great!!
    Ive contacted Alpro to ask them about the possibility of selling it in small uht pots so that people can take them to cafe's and other places with them.

I just got a reply from Alpro, they said no but that they have added acidity regulator to some of their milks so they dont curdle:

"Also we recently added acidity regulators to our long life Original Milk (blue pack) and the Chilled and Long Life Unsweetened (orange pack) Soya Milks. These regulators will prevent the curdling effect when used in coffee or Tea."

Quote Marrers View Post
    My friend made a latte with vanilla soya milk the other day (think it was Alpro) and it was a delicious treat!
    I love Alpro vanilla milk in coffee!

Just reading about people trying to find milk that doesn't curdle in coffee, I've never had too many problems, I suppose the secret is not to use milk that's too cold and to let the coffee cool a bit. The worst thing I've tried was the Soyatoo brand coffee creamer. It curdled horribly in coffee, it was so bad that there were lumps! Completely undrinkable. That was about a year and a half ago, so it could have been improved or discontinued since then. Maybe I got a bad carton or did something wrong! But I just use normal soya milk and it's fine.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Coffee

I notice they use Alpro Professional in many coffee shops.

I found this reply from Alpro on this website.
    19/11/10
    Just got a reply from Alpro about this -

“Thank you for your enquiry regarding the use of Alpro Professional.
    This product is only available to the food service industry and is specially formulated to work well with frothing machines.
    The nearest to this product is our Original (Blue) carton which works well with coffee and tea.
    We recommend you heat half a cup of Alpro soya milk alternative in the microwave to just below boiling point and add freshly made coffee giving a gently stir to create a creamy froth.”

If you have any questions please call our free helpline on 08000 188 180 or visit www.alprosoya.co.uk for further recipe ideas.

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Cumin View Post
    It's been mentioned by some other people on here already, but I've recently switched to sunrise soy milk (thanks to phoenixrising for introducing me to it). From my experience it is the only one which doesn't curdle at all when added to instant coffee. Also, they have an organic one variety, and it's sourced from european soya which makes me feel better (less miles). Downside is that it's not cheap :-(
    When Starbucks first came to this country Sunrise Soya Milk was all the used for several years. It was much better than Alpro...Speaking of Alpro it must be made slightly different since the last time I used it with instant coffee. Normally it curdles, but when using fresh Alpro and Kenco instant decaf there's zero curdling!

I've been trying to make decent coffee with soya milk for my boyf for ages. I read that the brand of coffee also makes a difference. We recently bought Sainsbury Gold Roast and have been able to make perfect coffee with any soya milk brand with no curdling. Just adding the milk cold to hot coffee. Finally!

Default Re: Coffee - how much is too much?

Quote Bluey View Post
    http://www.abc.net.au/health/library/caffeine_ff.htm

It has just about all the answers...
    I know I have some of the withdrawal symptoms if I don't get my fix in the mornings
    Thank you for the link. Very interesting!

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    I normally buy decaf tea and coffee but recently I was told that the process of decaffeination involves chemicals which make it more harmful than tea and coffee with caffeine. There is a method of decaffeination using CO2. Is it safe to assume that organic tea and coffee would use this method rather than harmful chemicals?
    I've read it's unhealthy even if it's decaffeinated naturally because they need to grow it differently or something like that. In general, any modification to a food from its original state makes it worst for your health.

I only drink coffee or tea when I don't mind the caffeine, if I want something caffeine free I make herbal tea or Teeccino (an "herbal coffee" coffee alternative available in many flavors and it tastes better than coffee IMO).

Hi, decaffeination is normally done as part of processing the beans after they're grown, as far as I know, though this does mention attempts to grow low-caffeine coffee beans at the end: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination.

I don't like the sound of some of the processes but the "Swiss water" process sounds OK to me and I don't see how selective breeding would make it worse for your health? Wouldn't be so keen on GM coffee, but I'm not sure that's been attempted?

I agree there are plenty of good alternatives to coffee if one doesn't want the caffeine, though!

Quote veganeater View Post
    I've read it's unhealthy even if it's decaffeinated naturally because they need to grow it differently or something like that. In general, any modification to a food from its original state makes it worst for your health.
    So after 500 years of cultivation (which certainly included selective breeding), which is the "original state" of the coffee bean that should be preserved?

Best regards,
    Andy

Vegan store have a new powdered soya milk called Tom Soja, it works really well in coffee and doesn't split or curdle!

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Vegan store have a new powdered soya milk called Tom Soja, it works really well in coffee and doesn't split or curdle!
    That product is almost guaranteed to be made with genetically modified soy which is banned in a long list of countries because it causes fatal chronic diseases, it also has sugar as the main ingredient. I use coconut milk the rare times I have coffee and want to "whiten" it.

... genetically modified soy which is banned in a long list of countries because it causes fatal chronic diseases.
    References??
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    References??
    This video is about a study on GMO corn, I know it's not soy, but studies on GMO soy have shown the same results, and I find this video presents it well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njd0RugGjAg

Even China doesn't allow the sale of GMOs without adding a warning label to the product.

This video is about a study on GMO corn, I know it's not soy, but studies on GMO soy have shown the same results, and I find this video presents it well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njd0RugGjAg

Even China doesn't allow the sale of GMOs without adding a warning label to the product.
    Only follow the link if you want to watch rat vivisection.

Put a bloody warning up with your video!

There is a new company called Inoholics who make fruit flavoured coffee (strawberry, pineapple & apple). They are all vegan and the strawberry is delicious in a soya latte

There is a new company called Inoholics who make fruit flavoured coffee (strawberry, pineapple & apple). They are all vegan and the strawberry is delicious in a soya latte
    Sounds interesting! Have never seen fruit coffee before
    Houmous atá ann!

That sounds horrid to me
    I'm a plain, strong, black coffee person. I buy beans (usually from Monmouth Coffee) and grind them at home and I have a near industrial espresso maker.
    I only usually have 2 cups a day but it has to be good. At the moment I am on Hawaiian coffee, which I bought home from holiday and it is delicious.
    But fruit flavoured, eughhhhh. No, just wrong for me. But if you like it, then that's okay, to each their own.