Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do we have better body odor?

Smile Do we have better body odor?

This was a recent research study on the effect of meat consumption on body odor attractiveness. Unfortunately, the full article is only available if u purchase.

Here's the abstract of the report:
    Axillary body odor is individually specific and potentially a rich source of information about its producer. Odor individuality partly results from genetic individuality, but the influence of ecological factors such as eating habits are another main source of odor variability. However, we know very little about how particular dietary components shape our body odor. Here we tested the effect of red meat consumption on body odor attractiveness. We used a balanced within subject experimental design. Seventeen male odor donors were on "meat" or "non-meat" diet for 2 weeks wearing axillary pads to collect body odor during the final 24 h of the diet. Fresh odor samples were assessed for their pleasantness, attractiveness, masculinity, and intensity by 30 women not using hormonal contraceptives. We repeated the same procedure a month later with the same odor donors, each on the opposite diet than before. Results of repeated measures analysis of variance showed that the odor of donors when on the non-meat diet was judged as significantly more attractive, more pleasant, and less intense. This suggests that red meat consumption has a negative impact on perceived body odor hedonicity.

Source: The effect of meat consumption on body odor attractiveness

Default Re: Do we have better body odor?

This is very interesting Rujoon.
    I have had the experience of feeling very repelled by (actually I can think of two specific people) who smelt of milk...a sort of addled milky smell. They were both men who I got on pretty well with but their smell really made me feel as though I had to get away from them...Which I did! Odd, because at the time I was an omni. but maybe just not consuming as many dairy products as them. I would be interested to hear of anybody else's experience with this.

Interesting. I've also read that Japanese people think most Westerners are whiffy because of their consumption of dairy products, so perhaps that's one other thing we don't need to worry about.

I definitely have to agree that I smell better than when I ate dairy (my vegan deodorant at the moment is cr*p, but I don't smell bad despite it!)

Not sure about meat but all those toxins need to leave your body somehow so it makes sense!

I have heard various times that meat eaters feet smell worse than vegetarians' This would seem to back that up. Thanks for that rujoon!

This is sort of on topic--but I've noticed that it takes me a good bit of days--sometimes even about a week--before I notice (smelling my body odor) that I could use a shower. Before I was vegan, I had a need to shower every day. Oh the many benefits of veganism!

My guess is it's the sulphur in the food. Whe I get too close to Omnis that have been perspiring they tend to smell of rotting flesh. Yuck.

You're welcome fiamma Lately, I am interested in those studies about vegans, so I did a search and found it.
    The most I got were those which emit from a mouth after eating meat . I guess most people used perfumes etc. to mask their actual body odor nowadays.

It's also a good idea to use a saltwater based deodorant. It kills the bacteria in your armpits which is another cause of body odour.

Quote vegandrummersam View Post
    It's also a good idea to use a saltwater based deodorant.
    Not sure I've seen those - who makes them, Sam, or do you have to make your own?

I must be 'nasally chalenged' I guess, I cant't smell a difference. Gaseous expulsions yes but not body odour.

Quote harpy View Post
    Not sure I've seen those - who makes them, Sam, or do you have to make your own?
    I guess you could make your own, but there is a brand called Pitrok that is available in a lot of health food shops. I prefer the spray to the stick.

i have an incredibly weak sense of smell, but despite this every time i get near my omni mom (although i love her death) she smells so much of dairy and just "animal" as well. i can't explain it but it's pretty gross and a distinct smell.

kind of like before when i was vegetarian and had had not had milk in a long time (close to vegan but not quite), whenever we were out of soymilk and i resorted to skim cow's milk (ick) i could literally taste the utters and i felt horrible. after that was when i decided that it was gross. so i guess the smell and taste aspect are very closely related in this case.

Quote emmydu View Post
    she smells so much of dairy and just "animal" as well

If this is the case how do any of you stand being in a crowd, say at a concert. Surely the odour would be overwhelming? 'Euuuu'

Quote vegandrummersam View Post
    I guess you could make your own, but there is a brand called Pitrok that is available in a lot of health food shops. I prefer the spray to the stick.

Oh yes, I buy that - just didn't realise it had salt in it!

I still need to take a shower/bath every day. Otherwise I do start to pong.

I swear that I can tell when someone has been eating fish. There have been occaisions when customers (men and women) have come into the store and I literally have to hold my breath while I serve them. Their body odour reeks of fish and I don't know how they can stand to live with themselves. It's awful!

My breath smells so much better now. This might sound gross but except for morning or garlic breath, my breath doesn't stink at all throughout the day. Technically, I could get around with not brushing my teeth, but I do it anyway.

Body odour wise, I haven't noticed too much of a difference. Although my vaginal scent is less strong and smells more sweeter.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I've found that I don't really smell at all now, it's a little unnerving.
    Apparently I smell of fruit a lot, according to my friends :/
    That's it! -Turns into a pineapple- O_o

i mainly use pitrok (sometimes aromacreme)

i reckon the answer to this is a resounding yes!

i'm definately more aware of the smell of dairy on people, and erm, afraid to say people's meat farts are just rank.

however, being the antisocial moody sod i am, i generally try not to get too close to anyone else anyway

Quote twinkle View Post
    Me too.

I get stinky underarms if I don't shave. Other than that I don't really smell, and only shower every few days when I work from home (saving water ); if I have to be around people other than the dog I shower every day
    Last edited by fiamma; Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:19 PM. Reason: clarity

I would find it really hard not to have a bath or shower every day, and in hot weather I sometimes have more than one I try to stick to showers and not to use too much water, but I'm still probably using more than I ought.

sugarmouse

Quote Melanie View Post
    I've found that I don't really smell at all now, it's a little unnerving.
    Apparently I smell of fruit a lot, according to my friends :/
    That's it! -Turns into a pineapple- O_o

PMSL!!! that made me laugh out loud and I never do that.lolI actually like the scent of my un-washed self.If I have a day off and can do without washing I do. And my girly bits are sweet too,so I have been told by a few !

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    PMSL!!! that made me laugh out loud and I never do that.lolI actually like the scent of my un-washed self.If I have a day off and can do without washing I do. And my girly bits are sweet too,so I have been told by a few !
    -Grins-

sugarmouse

lol well on the same note eating loads of pineapple is supposed to drastically improve body odour

LOL! Really?

sugarmouse

yes, sweat secretionslol everything
    I speak from personal experience

Originally Posted by twinkle
    Quote Cherry View Post
    Me too.
    And me! And I think I smell of the spices from what I've eaten.

If I don't shower for too long I smell like peanut butter. Odd, no? Of course, longest I've gone recently was about 3 days. I like showering too much to go longer.

This reminds me of an article that said veggies had better tasting semen. I wonder how they managed to do that study?
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 27th, 2007 at 09:54 AM. Reason: for more on the tasting better topic, see http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11380

boomshanka,i definitely get quite grossed out in a crowd of people.but i put up with it to my best abilities, so it's not too horrible.the absolute worst is in my school bathrooms-it's so rank! i just quickly do what i have to do and run out of there, just imagine-a vegan only bathroom! haha wow it would be so nice, and random to those omnis who have no idea that we exist =] but a dream is a dream...lol.

Quote emmydu View Post
    just imagine-a vegan only bathroom!
    I am, mine. It's gross! I know what u mean emmydu. I think smoking for a few years has damaged my sense of smell. Since I stopped it has'nt really returned. People often say, 'can u smell the sea?' No I can't, and I live next to it! Lesson for 2 day. Don't smoke(or quit early)

Quote Bic View Post
    This reminds me of an article that said veggies had better tasting semen. I wonder how they managed to do that study?

Well, I could'nt refuse Bic, the pay was too good and I was hungry at the time.

haha that's great.i would never smoke. i just don't see the appeal to it (sorry if i offend any smokers out there). it's bad for your health and others' around you. plus, it's smelly and turns your teeth yellow, lol.i'm glad to hear you quit boomshanka, congrats! =] i hear it's one of the hardest to do (both of my parents are ex-smokers).

Good for you, emmydu!

Quote boomshanka View Post
    I am, mine. It's gross! I know what u mean emmydu. I think smoking for a few years has damaged my sense of smell. Since I stopped it has'nt really returned. People often say, 'can u smell the sea?' No I can't, and I live next to it! Lesson for 2 day. Don't smoke(or quit early)
    Sometimes if you are around a smell all the time you simply stop noticing it. For example, I am surrounded by pine trees, so when someone decorates for christmas with pine needles and says, "You smell that? Isn't pine such a lovely scent?" I can only respond with, "I can't smell any thing."
    Pine-scented air fresheners I can smell - but they smell like chemicals, not plants.

Good point Bic, you do get used to odours that surround you. My dog loves to swim in the canal and smells of old canal water (till she has a bath). Other people can smell it but I can't. I guess I ignore it now.

i definitely can relate to what you guys are saying about the whole not noticing scents you are around all the time thing...

i have pine trees in my backyard, so when i smell christmas trees i don't really notice it either.

plus, everyone and everyone's house has a different odor (due to the people living in it's pheremones (sp?) and their surroundings), so everytime i go over my friends' houses i get to experience a new smell! haha i'm weird, i know. but i think that it is so interesting.

I use Jason deodorant which is very mild and contains no aluminium compounds or antiperspirants of an sort.

I like it because it doesn't totally destroy my natural scent, just tones it down and prevents it getting too strong.
    I don't think it would have worked before I went vegan. I had to use anti-perspirant when I was an omni, as deodorants just didn't last for the whole day.

Sour milk and rotting flesh sure do make a person smell horrible. I don't have an issue with garlic breath (I kind of like it, weirdly) but milk breath especially is a complete turn-off. Twice in my life I've been kissing a girl and just couldn't continue because I was about to vomit. There's no nice way to tell someone that... and anyway, I'm sure I don't smell like roses all the time either.
    Anyone have tips on how to tell a girl that you really like her but kissing her makes your stomach flip?

Quote Campbell View Post
    Anyone have tips on how to tell a girl that you really like her but kissing her makes your stomach flip?
    Go Vegan?

Quote Campbell View Post
    I don't have an issue with garlic breath (I kind of like it, weirdly)
    me too! haha sorry, i have no tips about what to tell your girlfriend with milk breath. but i definitely agree, it's gross.

I think just saying, "Um...no offense, but you taste like milk." might do the trick if they already know you're vegan. They might be a bit flustered, but they'll probably remember not to drink milk before kissing you after that.

Just dont kiss her, do something else... after a while she'll ask what's wrong... i think women in general are quite sensitive to these things...

Oh this thread is so true!

I hardly ever get smelly, when i do, its almost an achievement!

And i have this thing about smell, on other people, because i know people are attracted to certain smells, like some men smell yummy, and others, don't necessarilly smell bad, but their smell just doesn't attract a particular person...
    Anyway, i digress!...the point i was coming to was the one person who i know consumes more processed crappy meat and dairy than anyone i know, and he's very well groomed, but i can't stand his smell...its just bad..and i'm sure it is related to his diet...

Summary: GO Vegan, and amongst other endless benefits, you won't smell!
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

True...

Psh, I stink!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

RubyDuby

I stink good though!

other people might not agree...
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I've taken a liking to eating a lot of curry and heavily spiced aromatic foods. When I'm sweating mostly when I'm cycling I smell a bit spicy. My B.O. now has a hint of spice. No one's told me I smell yet and I've yet to ask anyone, but I quite enjoy smelling like the spices of the East, even though I'm pale and white it makes me feel a bit "ethnic".

I've noticed I don't seem to have any body odour since being vegan!

(I have been eating a lot of passion fruit lately and the juice from that is very aromatic so my hands have been smelling of that recently! )
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty