Thread: House of Commons speech about veganism on World Vegan Day

Default House of Commons speech about veganism on World Vegan Day

I've posted the link to the issue of veganism being raised in the house of commons yesterday, in case anyone would like to watch!

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=9214

Fast forward to 22:27:00 to get to the right bit!
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

Default Re: House of Commons speech about Veganism on World Vegan Day

LOL shouting 'aye' and 'no' and listening to which is loudest is such a poor method of counting votes. Join 2011 and install an electronic voting system already.

Sad that she is speaking to like 5 people remaining... can't say I'm suprised they planned this as the last topic. The response she got was the same old bullshit though.

Crusty Rat

Bleh bunch of public schoolboys. What a crock of shite.

My thoughts exactly! Blaming the consumption of ALL the world's soya on vegans pretty much! lol, don't think we can eat as much as how many billion animals....?!

And no offence to her, well done for speaking up, but I thought her argument could have been a little stronger as there were certain points where a specific cited fact would have really helped strengthen some of the points she had.

Just a shame all ears were closed....
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

Soya is the staple of people who don't eat meat? This is new to me, I can't remember the last time I touched anything with it in. Of all the people to answer those questions, it had to be one of the prats that think all veg*ns live off of tofu.

I love laughing at people who don't have a clue what they're talking about, some of the blank looks on the guy's face were beautiful. Shame this one managed to get in to parliament though, but hope he's right about the labelling, though I doubt it.

leedsveg

Quote FaerieSuzy View Post
    My thoughts exactly! Blaming the consumption of ALL the world's soya on vegans pretty much! lol, don't think we can eat as much as how many billion animals....?!
    We fart enough already...!

And no offence to her, well done for speaking up, but I thought her argument could have been a little stronger as there were certain points where a specific cited fact would have really helped strengthen some of the points she had. Just a shame all ears were closed....
    I thought that she pitched her speech just about right. She didn't have much time to cover a lot of info and I think to have gone into more detail, especially in view of the "audience" there and the likely audience at home, could have been a mistake. If people only retain the facts of life death for male calves and male chicks, it's a good start.

Leedsveg

Bunch of fu**ing children.

Passing notes, heckling, they don't even address each other directly like a pair of feuding school children who aren't talking to each other (not just in this debate but in general).
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Whoa, that is a lot of animals people consume in a lifetime!
    I am not British, nor do I live in the UK, but the very fact that World Vegan Day was discussed at the House of Commons is pretty neat. Too bad everyone walked and left Her data and evidence was strong and quite alarming, but I think she was trying to not be a preaching vegan.
    Sustainability is such a tricky concept to define in application because every industry, nation and system has a distinct view or idea of what ought to be done. Fish farms, mass production of livestock, hormonal supplements, engineered animals and all those sorts of things are a step towards "sustainability." Are some of these measures ethical? Personally, I don't think they are at all. Are they sustainable? Who knows!
    aye, aye, aye.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

leedsveg

Are you a fan of Prime Ministers Questions VA?

Leedsveg

I like the questions she posed towards the Prime Minister regarding labeling, sustainability and quality standards. I am not, however, a fan of the Prime Ministers questions, stance, or responses. I mostly disagree with his statement: "A vegan diet is not for everyone." He is correct to say that the government cannot and will not tell the populace what to eat. But saying that livestock must be maintained for grass to grow and to feed populations where grain is not as accessible is not an accurate statement.

Is it just my perception, or is the Prime Minister mocking Veganism?

Also, he mentions a balanced diet, but I think he failed to understand her perspective and argument that a diet free of animal products is even healthier than a diet with moderate or limited amounts of animal products. I worry about sustainability very much....for animals used as livestock, vegetation, marine life and quality of habitats. Tragedy of the Commons comes to mind

Needless to say, the United States is as troubled as the UK in regards to all these issues. We have unfit, unethical and unhealthy regiments in every system of production. I feel the US population is sustained by fast food, which is mostly comprised of over processed foods. We have an overabundance of food, but it's not the best thing to be eating to live in optimal health.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

^ The guy in the video isn't the prime minister btw.

Quote Risker View Post
    ^ The guy in the video isn't the prime minister btw.
    He's an honorable gentleman? Sorry, I am not too educated on how parliament works! :/

Quote VeganAthlete View Post
    He is correct to say that the government cannot and will not tell the populace what to eat.
    That is such bollocks!

Can you / are allowed to eat humans, whales, pandas, elephants, dogs, cats,... in the UK? No.
    Government / law dictate what we can do and can't do, or can eat and can't eat... why would this be any different. It's sad to see vegans buy in to their "we can't tell people what to do crap" it's not true. If it was the case I'd to start feeding humans to omnis.

I am not buying into what they're saying at all. Vegans would be in an uproar and disdain if the government was to demand or strongly advocate that all people eat meat or animal products. That is the perspective I was looking at. I would be extremely upset if the state or federal government forced all students in the school systems or others to eat meat at every meal. Fortunately, I and many others had the option of getting a salad or a soy pattie for lunch and oats for breakfast. etc. The government does exercise some control over the population's diet. Like she mentioned in her argument, being vegan is a matter of choice and ethics. Sadly, not enough people are making the choice at a faster rate.

The United States Department of Agriculture has begun to take measurements towards catering to a vegetarian diet. In this way they are advocating vegetarianism. But I know there would be upheaval and uproar if the government were to impose a vegan diet on the entire population. Granted, this is exaggerated but that is the point I was trying to make.

Vegan food is a subset of what everyone is already eating. So you can't reverse the idea. You can't force people into hurting others, but you can deny them of hurting others.

Quote CoolCat View Post
    You can't force people into hurting others, but you can deny them of hurting others.
    Completely agree. I was thinking more about the possibility of forcing everyone to be omni (despite the likelihood of that happening). The problem at hand is not so much if the government can or cant deny this, but rather will the people abide by this and adopt a cruelty free lifestyle. The government technically can tell people what to do, but I think the fear of stirring up much commotion scares them.

He's an honorable gentleman? Sorry, I am not too educated on how parliament works! :/
    He's not very well known even in the UK.

It's James Paice who is in charge of the department of environment, food and rural affairs (DEFRA). Unfortunately I have to deal with them in my work (but not him fortunately) and they're complete arseholes. It's pretty much a boys club who just want to maintain the status quo.

DEFRA has announced the appointment of the first non-executive members of the Animal Health and Welfare Board, which will meet for the first time on November 8.

Joining board chairman Michael Seals will be: Stewart Houston, BPEX chairman and AHDB board member; Stuart Roberts , agriculture and livestock director at Anglo Beef Processors; Prof Tim Morris, director of the Department of Equine Science and Welfare at the British Horse Racing Authority; and Mark Tufnell, a chartered accountant and tax adviser who runs a family farm in the Cotswolds.
    http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/.../42604.article

(Notice all the members have a vested interest in continuing to use animals)

Crusty Rat

I'm always in uproar and disdain ;D

They do strongly advocate the ingestion of animal products though. All that "food pyramid" stuff you get in school, massive billboards and bus adverts promoting "British pork" and milk.

In France they've made it mandatory to include animal products in every single school/college meal. At my college here in the UK the vegan "options" are very limited and completely unbalanced.

Sounds like they are not the most vegan-friendly folk in the UK. Oh wow...isn't he a jewel to have in power at DEFRA
    He really did seem to be mocking veganism and the idea of a plant based diet...

Quote Crusty Rat View Post

They do strongly advocate the ingestion of animal products though. All that "food pyramid" stuff you get in school, massive billboards and bus adverts promoting "British pork" and milk.

In France they've made it mandatory to include animal products in every single school/college meal. At my college here in the UK the vegan "options" are very limited and completely unbalanced.
    Yikes! That is soooo NOT right! Vegans in the US would be PISSED! Things in the US are a little different now. The only campaign that still bothers most vegans is the "Got Milk?" campaign. But they have lawsuits up the ani! The food pyramid in the US actually has vegetarian options like I mentioned and they actually outlined different food sources and dietary allowances for nutrients in veg diets. The National Institute of Health also has various grants at state funded universities and private research institutes to research the evidence supporting vegetarian and vegan diets. Some universities actually have vegan food pyramids now as well (which is AWESOME)!

The US government (or at least it's Department of Agriculture and National Institute of Health) has moved closer to providing more information that is readily available so the US population can make more informed decisions...especially with diabetes and obesity become so much of a problem.

Oh and I would be in an uproar too!

Quote CoolCat View Post
    You can't force people into hurting others, but you can deny them of hurting others.
    Completely agree. I was thinking more about the possibility of forcing everyone to be omni (despite the likelihood of that happening).
    Forcing people to be omni IS forcing them into hurting others.

What a clueless moron, the omni population eats more soya than vegans due to it being used as a cheap filler for many processed meals - suggesting that all vegans eat lots of soya and then not letting her respond was such a cheap move.

Ah, I'm afraid the house of commons in the UK and Canada are just alike! The politicians are like school children; calling each other names and using obvious straw-man attacks! I remember visiting our provincial legislature when I was in high school. Our class was astonished at how badly our MLA's behaved. Hilarious while embarrassing!
    http://www.marystestkitchen.com <--that's the vegan recipe blog I write. Mostly comfort food. Sometimes I get into a healthy mood though.