View Poll Results: Is the food you eat on a vegan diet as tasty as the food you ate before?

Voters
708. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, vegan food is better than the food I ate before

462 65.25%
  • NO, the vegan food I eat is not as tasty as the food I ate before

39 5.51%
  • Vegan food is just as tasty as the food I ate before - no difference

97 13.70%
  • Almost no difference, but vegan food is slightly better

62 8.76%
  • Almost no difference, but vegan food is a little less tasty

48 6.78%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

Default Re: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

Yeah i've given up my taste for human flesh, they are animals too you know! It should read "Once you cut out all the processed rubbish you can't eat ANYWAY once your vegan, everything tastes better, especially since there's good odds you made it yourself."

Default Re: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

^ Hehe.
    Live honourably by becoming what you pretend to be. - Socrates

Vegan food is better than the food I ate before. I appreciate it more...and the appreciation helps in the taste. Also, I put more time and effort into making things taste good, so that could help! (I used to just microwave everything...lol)

Cheers!
    Ninja hug! You never saw it coming!

When you are forced to experiment with different food and spices etc, I think that your taste buds change. Vegan things taste much, much better. IDK, things just seem ... better.
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

rxseeeyse

yes, vegan foods vegan foods vegan foods, I just wish I know more recipes!

Quote Hasha View Post
    By the way, when I said that it's the same as before, I wasn't comparing it to meat. Meat has been out of my life for over five years now and I really don't see it as food anymore, just as a dead animal. I was comparing vegan food that I eat now to the foods containing dairy and eggs that I used to eat.
    Hasha, I did the same as I was a vegetarian for about 17 years before becoming a vegan. If I had to compare vegan food with the food I was eating as a carnivore, vegan food would be much tastier.
    The only vegan foods I don't like are the chocolates. They are bitter and taste really owful. I bought few in the past which I enjoyed but I do not remember the name, so I just stopped eating chocolate, but I really enjoy marzipan and fruit cakes so I'm all right with sweets. I also eat much more fruits at the moment so I do not need as much sweets as I used to eat.

Quote upior View Post
    Hasha, I did the same as I was a vegetarian for about 17 years before becoming a vegan. If I had to compare vegan food with the food I was eating as a carnivore, vegan food would be much tastier.
    The only vegan foods I don't like are the chocolates. They are bitter and taste really owful. I bought few in the past which I enjoyed but I do not remember the name, so I just stopped eating chocolate, but I really enjoy marzipan and fruit cakes so I'm all right with sweets. I also eat much more fruits at the moment so I do not need as much sweets as I used to eat.
    i was thinking that today actually :/ about chocolate. a girl my dad works with has recently gone vegan and she is beginning to miss chocolate. when my dad asked me what vegan chocolate was like all i could think of was 'umm yes well did you ever eat dog chocolates when you were a kid'. but no, i'm not really bothered about sweets and chocolate any more :/ having said that though, the new nakd bars are amazing amazing amazing (the cocoa/orange ones). . . . .

rxseeeyse

uh, I love chocolate as vegan food...I think they taste much better without all the milk in them....I usually buy 100% dark chocolate and make mousse with soft tofu and natural sweetener, they tastes great! And chocolate muffin tastes very good too, just need some cocoa powder for this. So yea, although I don't eat plain chocolate, but I think chocolate is very good with everything else and without all those excess sugar and milk in them!

Quote twinkle toes View Post
    when my dad asked me what vegan chocolate was like all i could think of was 'umm yes well did you ever eat dog chocolates when you were a kid'.
    I never did try doggie chocs but I'm surprised to hear they're like vegan chocolate, some of which seems pretty good to me. Maybe you should work your way through the ones in the chocoholics threads just to check you don't like it?

If you don't like dark chocolate you could try the Organica Couverture Bar -(think it's called something like that. They often have it in the allergy section of Waitrose and it's is a passable imitation of milk chocolate. There is even a fruit and nut version, seen here ttp://www.animalaidshop.org.uk/chocbars.htm

powerlifer

I would say vegan food i eat now is much tastier than most of the stuff i ate before.

For most of my meals i need to cook fresh so they contain many more ingredients and spices rather than laden with salt and preservetives.

I love vegan food. I always had to have ridiculous amounts of meat on everything I ate before I turned vegan. It's all about how you make it. To me, a gigantic slice of avocado with some spinach, tomato, vegenaise, mustard, and red hot sauce in a wheat bun sounds so amazing right now. Mmmm!

Stuart

I've still only a limited repetoire when it comes to cooking, so it's more a case of whether I miss dairy/honey/egg based foods within my eating, and I don't think I do overly, if at all. As well as not missing these foods, I have now tried new things i'd never have before: black beluga lentils, quinoa... Nakd bars! Much that I like. Soya milk was the one thing I wasn't so keen on at first, but would now choose over milk were it a viable choice, and cheese the one big thing I thought i'd never go without (along with milk chocolate!) but have gone just fine.

I don't know why I lacked the faith to become a vegan, i'd never lapsed or suffered an overwhelming temptation to go back as a veggie, and just the same has been true here.
    Last edited by Stuart; May 26th, 2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: can't write today!

Quote harpy View Post
    I never did try doggie chocs but I'm surprised to hear they're like vegan chocolate, some of which seems pretty good to me. Maybe you should work your way through the ones in the chocoholics threads just to check you don't like it?

If you don't like dark chocolate you could try the Organica Couverture Bar -(think it's called something like that. They often have it in the allergy section of Waitrose and it's is a passable imitation of milk chocolate. There is even a fruit and nut version, seen here ttp://www.animalaidshop.org.uk/chocbars.htm
    you never tried dog chocolate harpy?? well it tastes like ordinary milk chocolate only sort of weird and powdery and dry and flavourless!

ohh yeah i'm sure there is nice vegan friendly chocolate, and dark chocolate is usually pretty nice too it's just that now i don't eat chocolate all the time like i used to (milk chocolate) i don't really get cravings for it or feel like eating it. oh my god actually i have just remembered another vegan friendly chocolate product which is really really nice - those alpro dark chocolate flavour yoghurts

I think that vegan food is tastier than the food i've eaten before. I think making or cooking vegan food is like exploring the different vegetables and tastes that i thought never existed before i went vegan.
    Carrot!

I think it tastes nicer. Although that might be also to do with the fact that since I became vegan, I have started to cook healthier foods and appreciate them more, and my tastebuds have changed. I find myself enjoying foods now that I didn't used to like (peppers, tomatoes, olives). I think without heavy foods like cheese and milk and all the processed stuff I ate when I was just veggie my tastebuds have become more sensitive to the delicate flavours in some foods.

I also think you can make things just as tasty. Like in baking, eggs don't add flavour, they merely bind. So if you replace them it makes no different to the taste.

I don't think it matters whether or not the food I eat now is objectively tastier/less tasty. A meat-eater might try the food I eat in a day and say it is bland, or boring, or tasteless and that might be their perception. But what matters is that I enjoy it. The only thing is when they try vegan food and think it tastes bland, then develop a negative view of veganism as a result. So I always try to make food for non-vegans as tasty and impressive as possible to show that you can eat food that is just as flavourful without animal products.

Also, I find that since the majority of products on offer are off limits, I have to be more creative to make non-vegan foods edible. And when I find, for example, vegan gummy bears or vegan whipped cream, it's SUCH a treat! Way better than just picking them up from the supermarket. Or I have to bake things myself. So after months of drooling over non-vegan cupcakes, I made some myself. And I enjoyed them that much more having gone to the effort of making them myself. It stops you from over-indulging, and participating in the excessive consumption that seems to be the norm now.

The best way to answer this is (oddly enough) to talk about eating out which is generally a difficult subject for most vegans. With food I've cooked at home there really is very little difference between pre and post vegan, mostly because I'm a lazy cook, I just shove stuff in a pan without much thought.

However I have discovered that vegan food CAN taste much better than non vegan through visiting my favourite cafe/restaurant - The Alley Cafe in Nottingham. Generally whenever I go out to a restaurant I feel that I've been overcharged and could have had something I liked just as much if not more at home much more cheaply. That never ever happens when I eat at The Alley Cafe!!! As well as giving huge portions all their food is absolutely divine. Last week I had a blended soy ice cream 'milk' shake from there at a price of about £2.50 and this is without a doubt the best milkshake I've had in my life, dairy or not. I would love to have the time, energy and knowhow to cook like they do in there.

In case people are wondering, I'm not being bribed by The Alley Cafe to sing their praises I truly do love them this much!!!
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Ever since i moved out from my parent's house i've dabbled in cooking & quite enjoy it. When i was a vegetarian i just tended to buy frozen stuff & bung it in the oven, but now because there aren't many quick frozen vegan eats (like Quorn for instance) then i find myslef making more from scratch. So, yes things do taste better, but whether that's because it's the food or whether it's because i'm actually putting in the effort now i'm not sure!

i always though meat tasted like nothing unless it was covered in fats and sauces
    paper had more taste than chicken
    i wish it was raining

Going vegan made me far more creative and therefore all my food I now make is soooo much tastier! Usually when I make food at a party, it's the first to go Meat and dairy limits your imagination on how to cook or bake. Once you start replacing to susbstitute dairy or meat, you then start to experiment with these new found ingredients. And then it just gets interesting! I used to have to have sauce on all my food when i was an omni, now I don't need to! Because its waaaay too tasty!

I voted for yes. In fact, before I was vegan, I constantly had the feeling that I was eating the same thing every day and was getting infinitely bored of it, but that might be because I was half in a depression and on the verge of getting into an eating disorder. Becoming vegan was seriously the best thing I've ever done in my life. I have developed the ability to differentiate between fresh food and packaged food, I know the differences between the growing conditions of the vegetables and fruit I eat. I can't enjoy strawberries from far away anymore because they simply taste awful and I scream of joy for the local ones in season. I have grown to prepare food freshly, eat seasonal vegetables and fruit. For comparison: I used to eat normal Ketchup even as a vegan, but recently I tried it again and it was horrible. There was no taste of Tomatoes at all.
    Before I became vegan, at least for a few years (8-13 yo; before that I enjoyed mostly vegetarian/vegan fresh korean food by my loving mother) I didn't enjoy food at all, it was mostly about stuffing it inside and feeling all guilty and full and horrible inside but still continuing to eat because you don't feel satiated. As a vegan, I haven't experienced this. Food has never been a problem since and most days I don't even realise I'm vegan until someone tells me. It feels natural. It feels good. I can finally be happy when I see all those fresh, green leaves and stuff on my plate and it makes me joyful to prepare the food. So... I guess that's the reason why I said yes. And it's as honest as can be.
    Looking back, I remember times I thought my hot chocolate was disgusting but kept drinking it just because "it's supposed to be delicious". And got it next time again. Because everyone else thought it was great. I remember many times I didn't eat because I genuinely liked the food but because it was the sort of thing that the cool european kids, my schoolmates, the other people ate. And I desperately tried to fit in. ...I guess the lactose-intolerant, veggie-loving part of me was more dominant in the end. And since I've had and made incredibly delicious, scrumptious vegan Cake, I don't miss anything at all.

I never ate much fruit before I went vegan. Now I realize how tasty it is. The food I ate was boring until I became vegan.

I think that vegan food is tastier because as a vegan you have to learn to veganise dishes, so you have to cook them yourself, so can tweak them till they are exactly to your taste.

I think that over time I've gained more and more cooking and raw preparation knowledge that food naturally just tastes better.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

There are some vegan items that I find to be less tasty than the orginal thing but overall I eat food that tastes good to me therefor I chose there is no difference to me.

i've actually forgotten what a lot of non vegan food tastes like, is it just me or has it happened to anybody else?

Quote RhegHimself View Post
    i've actually forgotten what a lot of non vegan food tastes like, is it just me or has it happened to anybody else?
    I wouldn't say I have forgotten but I certainly don't miss non vegan food. Some things like cheese are hard to find good substitutes but I have gone into it with the mindset of vegan food is not always going to taste like the real thing but it is ALWAYS better.

Vegan food smells better cooking as well i think, i can't stand the smell of cooking cheese anymore, and bacon, everybody says its the one thing that they miss, but it smells horrible to me now.

Vegan food smells better cooking as well i think, i can't stand the smell of cooking cheese anymore, and bacon, everybody says its the one thing that they miss, but it smells horrible to me now.
    Yeah I can't stand the smell of fat cooking from meat - especially when its on one of those george foreman grills and the fat drips off into that little bowl..it smells awful and I hate it!

I think vegan food tastes better because vegan food doesn't make me feel fat, heavy and lethargic - it gives more to me than it takes.

Another annoying thing about this is when meat eaters say that vegan food is bland, but then they put ketchup, mustard, brown sauce, soy sauce on their meat! all of those are vegan! salt and pepper are vegan! herbs are vegan! spices are vegan! but apparently vegan food is bland despite the fact that they use vegan bloody food to make their apparently already tasty meat taste better!

salt and pepper are vegan! herbs are vegan! spices are vegan! but apparently vegan food is bland despite the fact that they use vegan bloody food to make their apparently already tasty meat taste better!
    I hear you! I eat just as much from scratch now as I did before I became a vegan (never much one for ready meals etc), but I eat so much more variety as a vegan. Before, I had a repetoire of meat filled meals that we would have every week, and if they didn't have meat, they were cheesy, creamy pasta dishes. Now, I am more than willing to pick a page of a cookbook at random and just try whatever is there. I eat so much better as a vegan because I am opening myself up to such a wide range of foods I never would have considered trying. I don't remember what sausages really tasted like, or cheddar cheese I used to grate on everything, and I feel so much better for it.
    "Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said, 'I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!'?” - Calvin and Hobbes

I have never eaten bacon, and the smell of it cooking most certainly does *not* make me want to eat it - it makes me want to puke! Most non-vegan things stink if you're not used to them. Things like cake do smell good, but eggs frying or meat cooking is just revolting. (And hey, vegan cakes smell good too!)
    Moby once compared the grim red and white monotony of the supermarket meat section to the rainbow of colour in the produce section. I haven't eaten enough non-vegan food to know how it tastes, but it looks disgusting, smells disgusting and its origins are extremely disgusting, so I just can't imagine why anyone would consider it superior to the delicious, healthy, compassionate vegan food that I love. I think most people just go with what they know. My preferred means of encouraging people to contemplate veganism is to expose them to delicious vegan food. For those who simply don't want to know about the horrors of factory farming, it is still progress to enlighten them as to the delights of vegan cuisine. I don't think there is anyone left in my main social circle who still has any prejudice against vegan food; and every vegan thing they sample is a meat or dairy thing that they didn't eat. (Any excuse to make another cake...)
    Live and let live

once you master vegan baking, veganism takes on a whole new level, everythings better with cake.

Rocket Queen

I still haven't mastered that.
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

I dont miss any animal product at all... more tastier and healthier

Festered try looking at www.veganbaking.net its very useful

Quote Korn View Post
    Sometimes people ask if it's possible to make as good food without animal products as it is with. For people who are used to put butter, milk, cream, cheese etc. in their meals it's a very natural question to ask, because they simply don't know without having tried other ways of getting the results they want. What do you think?
    'Lo Korn, all

I don't think I've ever taken vegan food to a buffet or BBQ that hasn't totally upstaged the 'best' of the non-vegan stuff there.

Think it's the fact that good vegan food has flavour that isn't just a variation on the taste of the very limited range of dead stuff that non-vegans usualy depend upon for any flavour in their meals at all.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

I often have food at work that smells really nice and the guys often comment on such a smell. Sometimes I even let them try some!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Having just gone from vegetarian to vegan and just chucked three vegan brands of cheese in the bin i would have to say worse.

I definitely think the range of foods that I eat has massively improved, as have my cooking skills. I became veggie when I was 8, so 19 years ago, and then vegan more recently. I still miss the "idea" of the taste of cheese, but as for actual cheese, if it was in front of me I know the smell and knowledge of how that cheese came to be grosses me out. I didn't like the taste and texture of most meats as a child anyway,I drank soy milk even before I was vegan and I always described milk as tasting "thick and mucous-y" ,without knowing about all of the wrongness that is in it. So yes, my meals definitely taste better now. Having just learnt how to make seitan from flour I have become slightly addicted to the possibilities. I guess I just don't view them as meat substitutes but as tasty things totally separate from meat.

Quote ciderlover View Post
    Having just gone from vegetarian to vegan and just chucked three vegan brands of cheese in the bin i would have to say worse.
    I have never found a vegan "cheese" that tastes like cheese, though some have a "cheese-like" flavour when added to soups. I think the trick is in not viewing them as a replacement for cheese, but as something in it's own right if that makes sense. It depends what you want to use it for. I have heard from my omni ex that one of the brands of melting "mozzarella" was pretty tasty, though haven't tried it myself, and have made pretty good mac and "cheese, and cauliflower "cheese" using nutritional yeast and high quality smoked paprika. I can give you some recipes if you'd like, ciderlover?

Before becoming vegan my diet consisted of frozen french toast sticks, frozen chicken nuggets, frozen waffles, ...etc. Not exactly gourmet to begin with lol.
    I have a much healthier diet now, with mostly foods I prepare myself... not a great cook yet though and usually eat the same food everyday like I did before (except now it's vegan, and not nutritionally deficient).

So I'd say the same as far as taste atm.. but I'm not really picky about food like that... perfectly fine with eating the same bland foods everyday if it's cheap & healthy (& vegan).

Quote Sha Ri A View Post
    I have never found a vegan "cheese" that tastes like cheese, though some have a "cheese-like" flavour when added to soups.
    Have you ever experimented with nutritional yeast flakes?

By my taste buds that stuff is more cheesey than anything else (vegan) you can get your hands on. A sprinkle of that on top of any oven baked dish gives it the 'au gratin' flavour and it makes a totally FO vegan cheesey sauce too!

Oh, and welcome to the forum, btw

Ciderlover, sorry to hear about your experiences. Have you tried Vegusto's "No-moo" brand?

I find that to be pretty much the closest to dairy cheese that I have found (and I also tossed a few vegan cheese in the bin when I was still experimenting)
    Regards, andy

Quote ciderlover View Post
    Dairy cheese, apparently, contains an opiate called caseo-morphine. That may, partialy at least, explain why; 1. People miss/crave dairy cheese. 2. Why nothing else tastes quite the same.

I find the food to be much better, but as for things like cheese it all depends on what dish it's going to. Daiya and the new Go Veggie i think they're called, the shreds are great for pizza/calzones. Daiya now has cheese slices, tried the swiss and found it really good on a burger. Like everyone else said, nutritional yeast is great to sprinkle on for a somewhat cheddary type flavor, and there's a parmesan type sprinkle on cheese that I found to be pretty good.

I find most cheese, even the ones I mentioned (except for the swiss slices) taste off when not prepared on food. Daiya isn't good out of the bag, but delicious in pizza. Did you by any chance try the cheese by itself? And what brands did you try?

Nothing compares! The food world has really been opened up to me , the variety and choices of food are just endless : that can't be said for a carnivore diet and yes I think your taste buds do change as I no longer crave the junk food, but I guess thats a benefit of eating proper food . Today I had home made veg soup, watercress and spinach salad, hommous and pitta- yummy! As for the cheese, I tend to use the Redwood varieties as I find these go well in cooking and lovely grated on a sandwich with some pickle!

But of course, the problem is, even IF I did find the carrion and cow secretions that I used to eat to be more tasty than vegetable-based foodstuffs, I still could not go back to eating them.

So to me, the question does not have much merit in itself.

I tried cheezly mozzarella and cheddar and toffuti or something also tescos own brand one bite and binned.Did not want to spoil any other food be adding them they were gross.Vegusto is really good but very high in saturated fat so that puts me off a bit.I think dairy is addictive i was really greedy with it its much easier to control my weight now i know how cruel it is .so am not binging on milk chocolate and icecream.

The problem with a lot of vegan cheese, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is that they're usually to be used as an ingredient in something. There are some more artisan style cheeses which are meant to be eaten by themselves or with a cracker or something, but I haven't dabbled in those yet. Maybe someone more familiar with those brands knows better how they're used, as I only know the Toffuti brand but have only used their cream cheese.

I also agree with the weight control thing. I used to be 300lbs before I went vegan, but even eating lots of vegan sweets, I haven't gone above 200lbs which is ok at 6'1''.

Yup, and have made pretty good "cheese" sauce with that stuff but I more meant stuff that is good on a sandwich. Though I haven't tried any vegan cheeses for maybe 6 years,other than tofutti cream cheese which tastes great. Though I'm beginning to think that I want to eat less highly processed foods, which tofutti is... And thanks for the welcome

Ooops, forgot to quote. That is a response to cupid stunt by the by...

I think because I've had to cook even more from scratch (I was veggie for 25 years but didn't do much dairy) my taste buds are so much better and I now love fresh ginger, loads of pulses, so many vegetables. And I experiment so much more. I try so many different things, and use different recipes. Only thing I still hate is celery - poison, and I cannot eat strawberries (really poison to me, allergic).
    As for cheese, didn't like it as veggie, don't miss it, don't look for a replacement.
    And omni hubby is trying more vegan food than he ever would veggie food, he is loving the delicious smells and tastes, so can't be bad.