Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lady Gaga's "meat bikini"

Default Lady Gaga's "meat bikini"

Hi, I just felt I had to post a link to this article. I just don't know what to say about it really - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...gue-cover.html

The title of the article says it all really, and while I can kinda understand how for omnis meat is just meat, you know? All packaged and part of their daily diet, for me personally seeing cuts draped on her makes me feel quite sick. I'm totally not suprised that animal rights campaigners are upset by this, quite rightly so of course!!!

The thing about this article that shocks me though is that after the comment about meat signifying something brutal and cruelty in its most vicseral form, the comment is used as a nice little segueway into how it's just another one of Lady Gaga's crazy outfits! Like, Oh look at that eccentric Lady Gaga, isn't she funny... and the whole message is completely forgotten, plus the obligatory pun "even by her standards it's a little raw", oh well now I'm laughing my head off I think not...

Sorry I just felt I had to rant about this, it's just makes me so angry!!!! grrrr, anyway, would be interested to hear your thoughts on this guys...
    "Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said, 'I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!'?” - Calvin and Hobbes

Default Re: Lady Gaga "meat bikini"

It makes me sick to the stomach that an animal was killed just so that some airhead could wear it as a bikini. I feel the same when I see a burger discarded on the ground, yet another animal murdered for human greed not need.
    Silent but deadly :p

This pictures is vile and disgusting and I agree about the response from the fans that has completely taken away from how awful this is.
    I was so disgusted that I wrote a small article about it, which if you have a spare couple of minutes, Id appreciate if you could read; http://tofuveganzombie.blogspot.com/

leedsveg

I have to feel a bit sorry for the woman. Firstly she's barmy as the photo clearly proves. Secondly when the realisation of what she's done sooner or later hits her, she's going to have to live with that for the rest of her life.

lv

I think your article is brilliant and hits straight to the point - an animal, maybe many died so that for a couple of clicks of a camera, some "pop star celebrity" could be seen as edgy... How anyone could possibly think that this was sexy is beyond my comprehension. To me now, seeing meat, seeing flesh is sickening, it viscerally affects me and just constantly reminds me of man (and woman's) domination over other species. I think it's disgusting and saddening that we live in a society that condones this and makes a feature out of a woman using animal flesh to create attention... As Hemlock so rightly says, "another animal murdered for human greed not need"
    "Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said, 'I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!'?” - Calvin and Hobbes

Tofu Monkey, I really enjoyed your article. I am disappointed in Lady Gaga, and sickened by this photo. It was probably unwarranted, but before this, I had some amount of respect for her.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Rocket Queen

Did the animal get killed especially?
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Hi Charley I didnt know what I would find in your link but I was brave and clicked! even considering she is a meat eater thats completely disgusting!!! To have that raw meat against your skin and hair, well it just makes me feel sick............ even when I was eating meat I think I would have felt sick by this!!! All I can think of is she might as well be rolling around in blood!!! oh goodness on her bare skin!!!!!! I just cant get over this! I dont think I can ever see her in the same way!

tofu monkey i will read your article but I just had to blurt out what I thought (love your rattie pic btw SO CUTE)

Tofu monkey I liked your article

Quote BlueGreenEyes View Post
    Hi Charley I didnt know what I would find in your link but I was brave and clicked!
    Sorry, the original link was longer... I'm glad you clicked but sorry for the disgust it caused... I know as a meateater I would never have been able to have raw meat draped over me. I assume they've draped it over an actual bikini and photoshopped that out, well I hope so... It's the fact that the article makes it all seem ok because she wears eccentric outfits anyway, as if holding a tea cup and wearing a telephone on your head equate to animal flesh on you....

Dont worry Charley I glad you think that photo shop might me a work I didnt even think of that still makes my skin crawl!

Can't stand her anyway.
    I run purely vegan.

leedsveg

Gaga: demented, crazy, dotty.

Spot on.

lv

I don't mind it too much, to be honest. I mean, even for the average omni, that picture would be a pretty ugly, gross, and somewhat confronting sight (well, the meat part of it anyway). Anything that shows meat in all of its ugliness can't be all bad. I'm personally much more concerned with things that 'clean up' and sanitise the dirty image of meat, like pictures of happy cows on milk cartons or perfectly manicured little steaks in clean shrink-wrapped packages. Because as we all know, the greatest enemy of compassion in our society is ignorance, and the fact that the brutal and ugly truth is usually kept far out of sight.

Sure, it's obscene that so much meat would get wasted for mere vanity, but in this case, it's possible that it might actually end up doing more good than harm. Millions of people will see that cover. Out of those millions, hundreds of thousands will probably find it unattractive. Out of those hundreds of thousands, perhaps a thousand might be prodded to reconsider eating meat. If out of that thousand, one person decides to go vegan, then give it a few weeks, and that photo shoot will have saved more animals than it destroyed.

Default Re: Lady Gaga's "meat bikini"

EW. Really just.....EW. Even before I went vegan or even really thought about what meat actually WAS, touching it or getting any on me reeeeeally creeped me out, so this just makes my skin crawl and feel gross!! I think I'm going to have to go and have a shower now.....

Apart from the waste of animals' lives this seems like quite a misogynistic image to me, given the cultural connotations of "meat". However as Stillwater says it may make some people stop and think about things - we can only hope.

I really think that woman needs some kind of help!
    What is the point of that photo from her perspective? She's not doing it as some sort of protest against eating meat so why is she doing it? I really don't know why anyone would think that was a good idea.
    I hope it does have the effect that Stillwater talks about................it might just make some people think twice about what 'meat' is...........I hope so.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote Stillwater View Post
    I'm personally much more concerned with things that 'clean up' and sanitise the dirty image of meat, like pictures of happy cows on milk cartons or perfectly manicured little steaks in clean shrink-wrapped packages. Because as we all know, the greatest enemy of compassion in our society is ignorance, and the fact that the brutal and ugly truth is usually kept far out of sight.

Out of those hundreds of thousands, perhaps a thousand might be prodded to reconsider eating meat. If out of that thousand, one person decides to go vegan, then give it a few weeks, and that photo shoot will have saved more animals than it destroyed.

Yes, "happy meat" concerns me as well, the idea that people can assuage their concience because animals are being treated nicely so it's fine to eat them or consume their products...

I hope you're right! When I first saw this I just got so angry, I really hope that at least one person goes vegan or as you say at least think about meat and what it really is...
    Last edited by Charley333; Sep 9th, 2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: mistake!

What upset me most was the comments that TofuMonkey quoted in her article. Some people had really positive reactions about it looking great and being awesome. One said that they would like to wear one. Another said that they didn't understand why veggies were all upset because she wasn't eating the meat. Who the hell are these people?! If ignorance is bliss there are a lot of insanely happy people out there.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I think it also shows how complacent people, even us to some degree, are about leather. If she was photographed covered in leather, no one would have blinked an eyelid. Of course animal rights activists and vegans would disapprove, but there never would have been any outrage about it, since leather is so commonplace. It also wouldn't have had the shock value that she wanted, which is why she chose to wear the inside of a cow instead.

^ That's so true.. a leather outfit would have been worse in the amount of cow used but at least it'd be reused.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

She has demeaned herself and the poor animal(s) killed for her stunt. Some people will do anything for publicity (and money). Maybe her agent can arrange a photo shoot at the big cat enclosure at the zoo?
    “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

Thanks to all those who read my article, I appreciate it immensely. I'm just waiting to see if Lady Gaga tries to explain her motives because she really has lost all respect from me. I hate the fact that people are saying 'I don't know why vegan's are so bothered, it's not like she are it'. I mean, seriously!!?!?! I would rather she ate it, that way at least it would have served some sort of purpose on this earth.

I loved your article Tofu Monkey, it was very well written. I agree about those comments ..... it really makes me wonder what the f**k is wrong with the vast majority of people on this planet. I just don't get it. Even when I ate meat, raw meat disgusted me
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

i wonder if she had a handbag made from baby leather would her fans still find her so cool?

Quote MoonDance View Post
    I loved your article Tofu Monkey, it was very well written. I agree about those comments ..... it really makes me wonder what the f**k is wrong with the vast majority of people on this planet. I just don't get it. Even when I ate meat, raw meat disgusted me
    i think its because we call it meat, if we called it flesh i think it would repulse more people, it is flesh at the end of the day. vile

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:36 AM.

That is disguting.

And I toldmy kids she looked like aman in drag... according to that article, I may be right!
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

It's not original, this was already done on America's Next Top Model.

Good article Tofu Monkey

Some of the people I work with are major Gaga fans and they have a bit of a shrine to her out the back of my work, and someone had put a picture of her in her meat dress up on the wall and written "LOVE" on it. A girl who also works there took it down and ripped it up and was going on about how awful it was, and how cruel to animals, and so I said "it's pretty awful, but it isn't really any different to leather in terms of cruelty when you think about it" and she became really angry and said "it's COMPLETELY different!!"
    She couldn't think of an answer though when I replied with "well it is in that wearing leather is more socially acceptable, but in terms of animal products, how is it different?"
    Hopefully it'll make her think about it

Tofu Monkey: I love your article. I have to admit that I have never liked Gaga I have tried not to hear anything about her but when she is so over promoted I can't help but know her name and about her music and even start having her in my head. If I ever had any respect for her then it is well and truly gone down the drain.

I can't believe what she has done. I know that it was about gay rights and how they should be treated equally (which is something I agree with) but surely there is another way to do that? I think that she doesn't really care about gay equality it is just a pretence. She is just (like so many other celebs) wanting to get even more well known and publicised then she already is (of course I might be wrong but I just seem that way). It is wrong and sick whatever the reasoning.

I can't believe some of the comments you found. Take "HAHA i love all these stupid veggie heads "Lady gaga u should be ashamed of urself..that animal once had feelings" its like bitch this is fashion and art...stfu..animals die..everyday..ND I EAT THEM..ND THERR SO GOOD" for instance.

I too am interested in clothing and fashion. However I either find vegan clothes or make my own vegan clothes and people love them (well until they realise it's vegan an turn their noses up.) The fact is you can find many clothes that are fashionable without animals suffering for it. This isn't what I call fashion. I like clothes which make a statement bur look good not clothes that would make people throw up.. I love art too and most art can make a statement without animal suffering for it. This comment is just beyond words and I can't believe how people can be so narrow-minded and ignorant.

I found a comment to the same report....

“Wow. See this is why I adore her.”

*sigh*

At the end of the day, the goal of this picture was clearly to shock. So it's natural that people would feel disgusted and sad and angry....it's designed to make you feel that way! Getting all steamed up about a stunt like that seems counter-productive to me, because it just fuels it and gives it power and a reason to exist. Surely it's best to ignore it and concentrate on the billions of steaks on people's plates, and not the small handful of steaks that covered Lady Gaga's boobs.

I agree that there is more concern over how many animals die for meats then to see some small amount on her. But the thing that affects me more then anything is the comments from people, I thought that even meat eaters would find this rather disturbing. It's no worse then a leather jacket or a big steak but I would have thought that seeing it raw and fleshy would actually make people think about it. The fact that they don't seem to care at all, that they actually hail her for it? I don't know. Normally I just let hings like this go over my head but this really got to me.

Not only did she do it once with her meat bikini, but she appeared shortly after in a meat dress with a steak balanced on her head. It's utterly disgusting, not to mention disturbing.

Quote Blueberry View Post
    That is disguting.

And I toldmy kids she looked like aman in drag... according to that article, I may be right!
    Is there something particularly negative about woman/men dressing up in drag, Blueberry? I hope you didn't say this to your children as an insult, as homophobia is no less offensive than meat eating is.

Quote felix_amborosa View Post
    Not only did she do it once with her meat bikini, but she appeared shortly after in a meat dress with a steak balanced on her head. It's utterly disgusting, not to mention disturbing.
    Yes! I watched that part of the VMA's and couldn't believe how normal the other celebrities were behaving, kissing and hugging Gaga!

Gaga seems to be very inconsistent. She wore that Kermit coat as a "commentary" of the fur industry, saying she would never wear fur. Then she stripped for PETA's campaign against fur and was further convinced by PETA to promise never to wear fur. Then this comes. I don't understand it, her or her explanation of the concept. For those of you who haven't heard, Gaga did offer her inspiration for the meat dress later on Ellen's show.

Stillwater raises some interesting points. I'm not so sure the dress would have had the same effect it did if it was made out of, say, felt. Although it is hard to say. As I don't really understand Gaga's idea behind the dress, so for me, it is difficult to comment on the value of her 'statement'.

On another note, Gaga seems to be quite open minded so perhaps she will offer a clearer explanation and/or apology for her actions once she realises the foolishness of them.
    Last edited by nn; Sep 21st, 2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Grammer
    "The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

There were pictures all over the sun paper and I just could not bring my self to look at them, it just made me feel strange and sick inside.

She doesn't give a shit about anybody's "rights", except her own to get more publicity.

I was under the impression that she did a lot of human rights stuff for the gays? am I wrong? i don't know much about her.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Yes, Cherry, she has been very defensive of gays. I do like that she has been outspoken in that way but that meat dress stunt was completely distasteful. Lost respect from me.

leedsveg

If Lady Gaga has such an affinity with meat, perhaps she could strip off, ask somebody to hoist her onto a barbecue and then she can undergo the "meat experience", that is death, being cooked, then eaten. That would create extra publicity for her and I do believe, a meal "suitable for vegans".

leedsveg

Quote leedsveg View Post
    If Lady Gaga has such an affinity with meat, perhaps she could strip off, ask somebody to hoist her onto a barbecue and then she can undergo the "meat experience", that is death, being cooked, then eaten. That would create extra publicity for her and I do believe, a meal "suitable for vegans".

leedsveg
    Good one LeedsVeg

That would make people think.

At least the animal did not die completely in vain as it showed the world what a twat Lady Ga Ga is.

I have no doubt in my mind that this is one messed up individual... a very clever, very rich individual but a messed up one nonetheless. I do however, doubt that he is a woman... having spent many wasted seconds discussing it with my teenage daughter, we think he is a man. Enter the alter ego, whose name escapes me, but has turned up for interviews claiming to be "the boyfriend" of Lady Gaga but whom the interviewer was convinced was her/him. Whatever. Still a twat.
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

I must admit that most of the people that I have spoken to who have expressed disgust at Lady Gaga's meat stunt have actually been meat eaters, so I try use the opportunity to try to open their minds a little by asking; with the exception of hygeine, what is the difference between what she wore and the leather that most people happily wear everyday? I'm yet to receive a good answer.

Quote Blueberry View Post
    I have no doubt in my mind that this is one messed up individual... a very clever, very rich individual but a messed up one nonetheless. I do however, doubt that he is a woman... having spent many wasted seconds discussing it with my teenage daughter, we think he is a man. Enter the alter ego, whose name escapes me, but has turned up for interviews claiming to be "the boyfriend" of Lady Gaga but whom the interviewer was convinced was her/him. Whatever. Still a twat.
    Excuse. Me. Dear. But dressing up in drag does not qualify someone as "messed up".

Of course Gaga is a woman. Someone would have to be of the intelligence of a small child to not understand that (with better humor). However, if you do not understand the concept of an alter ego, say so, instead of slandering Gaga (and consequently others) for the expression of theirs/hers.

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

leedsveg

Whatever Lady Gaga has or hasn't done, we vegans should all try to be ok with one another.

lv

God I do hate that woman. Or more like what she represents.

http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com/str...b-91052b139468

About the difference between fresh meat and leather, I hate to say this but there is one huge difference. The meat is made for people to eat while the leather has gone through a long process to be worn. Leather will not get spoiled and can be worn for many generations because it's a sturdy material. And leather is a bi-product compared to fresh meat. That is why most people react with disgust towards her wearing flesh instead of just wearing leather. Quite simple logic there.
    Not that I'm promoting leather usage, it is still disgusting for what it represents.

Rocket Queen

How do you mean leather is a bi product?
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.