Thread: London: Restaurants on Christmas?

Exclamation London: Restaurants on Christmas?

heyhey... i need urgent help of the londoners!!!

my parents will come for a visit during christmas on dec 25th and i am looking for a restaurant that is open on that day! i already tried several ones, but they all seem to be closed! sorry, iīm not used to that, cus in germany usually all restaurants are open during days like these with only a few exceptions. so what shall i do? i canīt even offer much at my small appartment so that i could prepare something on my own.

does anyone have an advice, please?
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Default Re: Restaurants on Christmas?

The Riverside Vegetaria in Kingston is open on Christmas day - bit of a hike from central London but they put on a nice Christmas menu so it's worth it if you can get there. You need to book in advance.

If you can't get in at the Riverside Vegetaria, you might be better off with a restaurant in a hotel as these will serving on Christmas Day.

That's true RR - just got to persuade the hotel to make something vegan!

My OH has recently booked himself and his mother in at the Riverside Vegetaria (I will be abroad, what a shame ) so they probably still have some room.

They have Lassie on their menu!

The sick b@*Ģ$%ds
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

It's as bad as "aboriginal", which I've also seen on a menu.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post

They have Lassie on their menu!

The sick b@*Ģ$%ds

BlackCats

I don't know Elahiya but I hope you find something. I have never been out to a restaurant on X-mas day actually. I wouldn't mind doing something like that myself instead of cooking but it's hard to get around anywhere without a car.

Stu

Are your parents actually coming on Xmas day? Are they driving? Cos I think the transport system pretty much shuts down on Xmas day. And if they are driving, then maybe Riverside Vegetaria is indeed the way forward.

Good point, Stu, it does shut down.

I believe you can get a taxi on Christmas day but you need to book it in advance and then it costs ĢĢĢ

i called them today and they told me they were closed on the 25th.

Yeah, it's confusing - a lot of places advertise Christmas menus but aren't actually open on Christmas day - they just mean that's what they'll serve in the run up to Christmas.

I hope you find something nice to do with your folks, Elahiya. I'm sure you'll have fun if you end up picnicking in your flat - personally I'd rather do something like that than have a big blowout.

that says till the 24th, plus the main course has truffles in it.

what's wrong with truffles?

eta: is it because they're traditionally sourced by pigs, and if so, are there any that aren't?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Indeed, link:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9890

I've not come across any certified animal free sources, I'd be interest to know of any (and buy some).

that's what i thought - and yet Yaoh's new magazine has an article praising truffles. i'll have to have a proper read of it and see if they recommend an animal-free source, i didn't see anything about it when i initially skimmed it.

(sorry to go off topic btw)
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

looks like anyone is opened on the 24th, but thereīs no use in it for me, as my parents arrive on the 25th. iīve tried to contat several restaurants and everyone tells me they would be happy to serve us on the 24th and the 26th. haha...

that's a shame Elahiya, but it's true most places in the UK shut down on Christmas Day. i hope you find somewhere!

i really am not used to that that everything closes down. in germany there is still even public transport available, on EVERY day, though it might be limited and even in my small home town it was like that.

i also hope so deeply to find a place, plus i also just canīt put up with my parents the whole day in my appartment. OMG!

Yes, it's a pain the way stuff shuts down here. I've been in Paris for Christmas the past few years and most things are open for at least some of the time - transport, shops, restaurants, even museums and theatres. Perhaps London will catch up eventually.

You don't have to sit indoors all day though - a nice long walk on Christmas afternoon is traditional

How about suggesting your parents stay in a hotel in or near Kingston on Christmas Day night - then the hotel will help to organise transport to pick them (and you) up at the airport, you can eat in the restaurant at the hotel, and have a lovely walk along the river afterwards...

Stu

Quote Elahiya View Post
    i really am not used to that that everything closes down. in germany there is still even public transport available, on EVERY day, though it might be limited and even in my small home town it was like that.

i also hope so deeply to find a place, plus i also just canīt put up with my parents the whole day in my appartment. OMG!
    It's kind of a national understanding that (virtually) everyone gets the day off on Xmas day. I think it's a good thing.

The only thing is, you have to be prepared.

I don't think people should be forced to work on Christmas day, but I know there are plenty who would rather work than spend it on their own (or with their families in some cases ) as well as people for whom the day doesn't have any meaning because they come from a different culture.

The same arguments used to be used against Sunday opening but in my opinion Sundays are much improved since things started opening on Sunday - it used to be the most depressing day of the week.

Quote harpy View Post
    You don't have to sit indoors all day though - a nice long walk on Christmas afternoon is traditional
    due to some chronical health problems of my father we canīt walk so long and much. so that is out of question, at least for some part.

How about suggesting your parents stay in a hotel in or near Kingston on Christmas Day night - then the hotel will help to organise transport to pick them (and you) up at the airport, you can eat in the restaurant at the hotel, and have a lovely walk along the river afterwards...
    would have been a nice try, but they already also booked a hotel. i originally wanted to avoid having to eat in a hotel as a vegan as there are a lot of more options for vegans in london.

looks just like the right amount of alcohol will balance all out

I hope you manage to find somewhere to eat out?

I know here in the Midlands the Warehouse veggie cafe normally opens christmas day we always go to family or Il cook for Mum and Dad, but here we have a lot of Indian restaurants open Christmas day, would that be an option? would the Indian or the Tai buffets be open in London?

Are 222 and Mildreds shut on the 25th?

If you do eat in the hotel Id ring the chef/manager to discuss menus and try to pop over - Ive found taking the vegan catering booklet off the VS in helps with hotels/pubs - hope you manage to get a nice lunch booked with a good vegan option

I was amazed to see Ģ9 rooms over Christmas at Travelodge

Stu

Quote alisont View Post
    ...here we have a lot of Indian restaurants open Christmas day, would that be an option? would the Indian or the Tai buffets be open in London?
    Good point, Alisont! Indian restaurants might be worth a try. There are loads of Indian restaurants on Drummond Street, Elahiya. You could investigate there.

How about this place, for example?:
    http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/restaur...urant-1262.php

i contacted 222 and mildreds - both unsuccessful, theyīre closed.

i also thought about an indian. but there is another problem: my mother is allergic to cumin (she can barely put up with the smell) and we (my parents and i) have always been sensitive to fats etc... i already called woodlands, though, but they donīt know yet if they will be opened or not. itīs quite difficult with my parents, they have certain intolerances an allergies, me too, and i am vegan.

Quote Stu View Post
    Are your parents actually coming on Xmas day? Are they driving? Cos I think the transport system pretty much shuts down on Xmas day. And if they are driving, then maybe Riverside Vegetaria is indeed the way forward.
    throughout central there is actually a bus service on xmass day. The tour buses are running almost like a bus service and about Ģ3.50 a ticket, cheaper than a taxi and about the same as northern buses.
    but pretty much everything else is out.
    Of course minicabs are cheaper than taxis too and may give you a substantial discount if booked early. www.addisonlee.com are charging about the same on chistmas day as a Black cab does any normal day, about Ģ5 a mile (they actually charge bypostcodes travelled) but the price is fixed in advance no matter what route is actually taken and you can book online.

As for vegan restaurants open on christmas day, I don't know of any that are.

Quote Stu View Post
    It's kind of a national understanding that (virtually) everyone gets the day off on Xmas day. I think it's a good thing.

The only thing is, you have to be prepared.
    the slight problem with that of course is there are no services for those who have to work.

It's not just the UK - I was surprised that most veggie/vegan places were closed in New York last Xmas Day and New Years Day. We had to eat at the same one both days as it was the only one we could find that was open.

We used to go to Riverside Vegetaria on Xmas Day when they had a branch in Croydon.

The Lanesborough Hotel do vegan food and wine (with notice). It's normally a bit pricey but I see the Xmas Day meal is Ģ200 per head!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    The Lanesborough Hotel do vegan food and wine (with notice). It's normally a bit pricey but I see the Xmas Day meal is Ģ200 per head!
    ouch, so that's what a stroke feels like

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! woodlands are open and i just reserved a table!!!!!!!! i am so glad!!!!

now i only need to take care of the lunch, that might get tricky. as they arrive in heathrow at 10:45 and thereīs only a bus replacement to paddington i just canīt guess when they would be really there...

That's good, Elahiya. Worth knowing that Woodlands is open - which one is it? (Mind you we'd never get my mother-in-law in an Indian restaurant )