Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (2)

Default Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

Quote seamus View Post
    chef positions in Aloka are filled. looking for KP right now.....by all accounts.
    Oh. An email asking for chefs was circulated on the Vegan London list just the other day.

(Not sure about Planet India, I've not been up that way in a while.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote seamus View Post
    question-Is PLANET INDIA still open?
    We went to Planet India on Thursday 10th June and I can confirm that they retain a number of vegan choices and the food whilst tasty and fragrant, was heated in a microwave. The main disappointment is the lack of labelling and awareness by the owner of vegan alcohol. In fact, most if not all of the drinks on the menu, did not indicate whether they were suitable for vegans, let alone vegetarians. We asked the owner to check this out for future reference as it is disappointing when you cannot have a beer/lager with a curry, particularly if it is hot or you do not know where it is sourced or labelled from.

Re: The Royal Sovereign Pub. http://www.theroyalsovereign.com/index.html

I made the following enquiry to the above establishment on 18th June -

Enquiry: We noticed that your menu caters for vegans and commend you for facilitating these needs. Do you also sell beers/lagers that are suitable for vegans? This would greatly help as we would like to sample your menu in the foreseeable future.

The response came swiftly: - Hi there,

thanks for your comments, we do sell quite alot of vegan food and it goes down well. To be completely honest im not sure where our range of lagers and ales sit on the vegan front, your email has actually highlighted the question and so i will be checking where we stand on our current range, and if needed i will add some vegan friendly products to our portfolio...watch this space!

If we can be of any further assistance please dont hesitate to call us on 01273 323289 or drop us another email.

Kind Regards

Nik Downs

We were in Brighton at the weekend and got pizza from Pizza Face delivered to us on the beach. Oh my, it was heavenly! Jo had the margherita, I had the Vegetarian - both with vegan cheese. Beautifully crisp, smoky stone-baked base, well-melted cheese (not overly greasy), fresh, chargrilled veg and plenty of olive oil.

I would recommend them for any pizza lover.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    delivered to us on the beach
    That's fab, they should advertise that they do that!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I popped into the Loving Hut Cafe at The Level, St.Peter's Place, Brighton BN1 4SA this afternoon and was greeted by the Asian owner and her co-worker. They said that ALL their products were vegan and I must say that they were very pleasant, chatty and welcoming. I bought an ice cream (similar to Cornetto) for £1 and a Jokerz and Buccaneer/Twilight candy bar for £1.75 each. The cuisine looked appetising and I said to them that I would spread the word to all you lovely people and pop in again soon and sample some of their cuisine. You can view their yummy food on www.lovinghut.com or www.lovinghut.co.uk

Any idea of the opening hours mutuality? Is it daytime only or evenings as well? And what is it like inside - what type of ambience and are there many seats?

The website still doesn't list Brighton branch and the menu page of the UK site doesn't have any content at present. Can you tell us if it is a serve yourself buffet or whether they cook you what you order (as in the Paris branch)?

Hi Marrers,

The opening hours are Mon-Sunday 10am-7pm (7 days a week).

When I popped in this afternoon, there were 2 people sitting outside on the tables and chairs provided which seemed clean and new. There is seating inside. They have been open 2 weeks. The cooking is done by them behind the counter. As for the website, the Camden (London) and Norwich branch are accessible but the Brighton Hut appears to still be under construction.

I'll feedback on the cuisine within the next few weeks.......

Mousee!!

hang on,-isnt the idea of PURE VEGITARIANism the original term for Veganism?

BlackCats

I am going down to Brighton in the next couple of weeks. We are going to stay overnight and it will probably count as our summer holiday this year.
    (It's too hard to get someone to look after our cats for a week.)

I want to try Aloka and Pizzaface definitely and get cake from Infinity.

I was going to try and book that veggie hotel but I think I will just get a room and not book a breakfast and go out for breakfast instead. Where is the best place to get a vegan brekkie?

I am going to go back to Brighton again later in the summer for a day trip and go to Terre a Terre.:smile:

I just read this on Money Saving Expert:

Oyster Card £5 out of London returns
    From 26 June until 25 July Oyster Card and Freedom Pass is offering £5 off-peak returns out of London to several UK destinations when you print a special voucher. Yet anyone can get an Oyster card for £3 (refundable when you hand back the card) to access the deal.
    To get the offer, fill in and print out the Days Out Guide voucher & show it to the booking office at your chosen London terminal to get the cheap ticket.
    Destinations include Brighton, Liverpool, Southampton, Stratford upon Avon and more, prices range from £5-£20 for either a day or month return. For example:

£5 return:
    Brighton, Bognor Regis, Eastbourne, Littlehampton or Southend-on-Sea.
    £5 return:
    Arundel, Chichester, Dorking or Windsor.
    £10 return:
    Oxford or Cambridge.
    £15 return:
    Salisbury, Stratford-upon-Avon or Winchester .
    £15 return:
    Birmingham, Liverpool or Southampton.
    £20 return:
    Bournemouth, Bristol, Cardiff or Norwich.
    See a full list of destinations included in the offer.
    For an example of the savings you can make, an off-peak one month return from London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street would cost c. £65 (depending how far in advance you booked it), but with the Oyster Card special voucher would cost just £15, saving a hefty £50.
    Or an off-peak day return to Brighton from London Victoria would normally cost c. £17 (again, depending when you booked it) but would be £5 with the Oyster Card voucher.
    If you don't have an Oyster Card, get one at London stations at some shops or order it online from TFL and it'll be posted out first class.You'll have to pay a £3 deposit for the card and can top it up a minimum of £5.

Nice one BC. Looks like you don't have to book onto a specific train either which is always a bonus for disorganised me!

Travel is available from Saturday 26 June 2010 to Sunday 25 July 2010 inclusive (date of outward travel as shown above). Normal Off-Peak fare restrictions apply to all promotional fares. This means you can travel any time on Sat-Sun and outside of rush hours on Mon-Fri as applicable.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I am going down to Brighton in the next couple of weeks. We are going to stay overnight and it will probably count as our summer holiday this year.
    (It's too hard to get someone to look after our cats for a week.)

I want to try Aloka and Pizzaface definitely and get cake from Infinity.

I was going to try and book that veggie hotel but I think I will just get a room and not book a breakfast and go out for breakfast instead. Where is the best place to get a vegan brekkie?
    Loving Hut do vegan brekkie for 3.50 pounds ,- its really good value for money,- I reccommend it and also the main dishes for Oriental food which start at 3.95

I don't normally eat breakfast out but last time I did I went to Dumb Waiter. I believe Waikikamookau also do breakfasts but it's a while since I was in there. Iydea and Infinity Cafe are meant to do breakfasts too, see Mr Flibble's blog.

eta Someone on Mr F's blog commented that the full English breakfast (request the vegan version) at Bill's is very tasty. I've always thought Bill's was not very vegan friendly so I'd be interested to find out more.

Ooh that train deal sounds amazing!! Thank you!

I also want to try Bills- have never had any success there, but it's such a lovely looking place.

BlackCats

Quote Sunkist View Post
    Loving Hut do vegan brekkie for 3.50 pounds ,- its really good value for money,- I reccommend it and also the main dishes for Oriental food which start at 3.95
    Quote Marrers View Post
    I don't normally eat breakfast out but last time I did I went to Dumb Waiter. I believe Waikikamookau also do breakfasts but it's a while since I was in there. Iydea and Infinity Cafe are meant to do breakfasts too, see Mr Flibble's blog.
    eta Someone on Mr F's blog commented that the full English breakfast (request the vegan version) at Bill's is very tasty. I've always thought Bill's was not very vegan friendly so I'd be interested to find out more.
    Thanks!

OMG I had the chocolate and banana cake from Infinity Cafe the other day.
    YUM!

~xx

Mousee!!

Angry Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

In the prince george right now.pretty much have my head in my hands.Waste of money.had some so called chilli .atrocious attempt. Seven fifty ,small,rice was all stuck together. Microwave job no question. REALLY ANGRY!!!!! STAY AWAY.

Cuacamole is a bucket job and the chilli itself is disgusting.
    Im too polite to walk nto the kitchen and give out.

Quote seamus View Post
    Im too polite to walk nto the kitchen and give out.
    That's a shame cos someone needs to. (I am most disappointed about the lack of definitely vegan wine there - I gave up on the food a long time ago so have found other places to eat.)

I'm hearing very good things about the Preston Park Tavern. It's not central but they bend over backwards to veganise the dishes on their menu. With notice they'll also do you a vegan dessert and a Sunday lunch.

My Brighton friend lives near Preston Park so perhaps I should steer her in the direction of the PP Tavern sometime instead of going into town like we usually do. They don't seem to have anything marked as vegan on the menus on their website - wonder how much notice they need to produce vegan grub?

They can adapt the normal menu without notice as everything is cooked freshly but if you want a vegan dessert or a vegan Sunday lunch option you need to give notice (no idea how much - I'd guess maybe a day or two?)

Thanks Marrers. Will give them a bell when the question of going there comes up - we're not usually that spontaneous anyway

Here is some more suggestions for travel e.g. London Victoria Coach Station to Brighton Pool Valley and somewhere to stay in Brighton.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Check on 'Funfares' or low fare finder.

For example, Brighton to London £1 single - £2 return.
    Bournemouth to London - 99p (2500 tickets until 18th July).

http://brightonvegetarianbandb.co.uk/bandb/

Will cater for vegans, big house, warm welcome, affordable, quiet road, 5 from Seven Dials, 15 mins from Brighton Station, 30 mins walk from Pool Valley.

Hope this is helpful......

The Purple Sprouting Company are taking over the Cherry Tree deli (107 St James's Street) on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings with a raw food menu. The only non vegan thing is one ice cream flavour.

Boho Gelato is opening at 6 Pool Valley Way. They will have at least 3 sorbet flavours which are dairy-free so should be suitable for vegans.

Mousee!!

Nice. Had a roast at the west hill yesterday.nice! Having breakfast. In rock olq right now.also nice

Loving Hut is sooooo good! If you're in Brighton, you must go!!

Yesterday had banana fritters...they were delicious!

Also had Kung Pao, which was lovely, though my fave things so far are the Satay and Chow Mein. Me and b/f have worked our way through all the mains now so now we'll be testing out the starters...well, someone has to do it...

This is now officially my favourite place to eat in Brighton/Hove.

The Hut is definitely Loving and we are loving them right back!

xxx

Quote yo-yo View Post

The Hut is definitely Loving and we are loving them right back!

xxx
    Its one of my favourite places too! we're off there again today,the food is sooo good...

Does the Brighton Loving Hut have a priced menu? Have been slightly put off the London one by the pay-what-you-feel system (not even sure if they're still on that system though!)

BlackCats

Quote Marrers View Post
    The Purple Sprouting Company are taking over the Cherry Tree deli (107 St James's Street) on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings with a raw food menu. The only non vegan thing is one ice cream flavour.
    Boho Gelato is opening at 6 Pool Valley Way. They will have at least 3 sorbet flavours which are dairy-free so should be suitable for vegans.
    Thanks Marrers.

I had such a good time in Brighton. I ate at Infinity twice and Iydea once, mmm cake. I also had pizza from Pizzaface. I'm probably going back there again next week to try some other places including Loving Hut. I want to move there one day.

I miss Brighton. Alot.

You lot are so lucky having so many lovely vegan places to visit........................I am really envious!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Yes, the Loving Hut was friendly, tasty and good value for money. We went there on Saturday and shared Sweet and Sour Delight with rice noodles (£4.60) and both had a vegan 'cornetto' style ice cream at £1.10 each (new VAT prices). I noticed someone else ordered a full vegan breakfast (soya rasher, vegan sausage, tomato, toast, baked beans and hash browns) at £3.50....not bad price as you will pay nearly double that in the North Laines. Worth a visit. Situated next to The Level and near St. Peters Church and London Road. Brighton and Hove is really catering to the needs of us vegans and seemingly appears to be expanding so lets get out there and support these businesses and spread the word x

BlackCats

Quote mutuality View Post
    Yes, the Loving Hut was friendly, tasty and good value for money. We went there on Saturday and shared Sweet and Sour Delight with rice noodles (£4.60) and both had a vegan 'cornetto' style ice cream at £1.10 each (new VAT prices). I noticed someone else ordered a full vegan breakfast (soya rasher, vegan sausage, tomato, toast, baked beans and hash browns) at £3.50....not bad price as you will pay nearly double that in the North Laines. Worth a visit. Situated next to The Level and near St. Peters Church and London Road. Brighton and Hove is really catering to the needs of us vegans and seemingly appears to be expanding so lets get out there and support these businesses and spread the word x
    I didn't find it but I will do soon, it sounds fab.

Someone I know is moving to Brighton this week and I intend to impose on her hospitality as much as possible.

By the way I meant to say this time we stayed at the Sea Spray hotel and I booked the Moroccan room without reading the details properly (duh) and the bed was made of leather. Absolutely okay hotel though apart from that point.

Ordered in some pizza from pizzaface tonight, was a bit yum!
    I went a bit overboard with the toppings due to lots of choice... :P
    ~xx

My garlic bread from Pizzaface was totally charred on the bottom last time, I will let them know next time I order. I think I'll also order extra cheeze next time as it could do with a bit more imo.

I'm hearing lots of people (friends in Brighton who are not on the forum) raving about Loving Hut. From what they say and what has been said here it seems that once you've been you can't resist going back! Several people think the burger there is better than Redveg. (The breakfast is apparently reasonable value but only 'okay', nothing special.)

Quote harpy View Post
    Does the Brighton Loving Hut have a priced menu? Have been slightly put off the London one by the pay-what-you-feel system (not even sure if they're still on that system though!)
    hi harpy- yes it is a fixed price menu. love yo-yo xxx

Oh good, thanks yo-yo. Perhaps I'll try that branch first to break myself in gently!

Hi Marrers,

I concur with you regarding lack of cheezly or cheeze! We ordered a Funghi from Pizza Face on Saturday night and were a bit disappointed with the lack of cheese, plus they forgot to put fresh rosemary on the vegan garlic bread. The actual pizza tasted fresh but the toppings were a 'bit thin on the ground' and disproportionate and the pizza was not cut into equal slices. However, prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt...and might just order in person next time and point some of these of issues out as we should not judge just on one visit and we need to encourage businesses like these that cater to our needs....must give that burger a try from the Loving Hut!

Vegan Brighton - Ms Cupcake is coming to Viva Roadshow on September 18th....please see below.

Thank you for contacting Ms. Cupcake – sorry for the delay in responding to your email.

Ms. Cupcake will indeed be at Viva’s Incredible Veggie Road Show which will be held at the Brighton Dome on Saturday September 18th. We will be bringing along A LOT of our cupcakes and they are priced as follows:

Each cupcake is £2.00, a box of 4 is £7.50 and a box of 12 is £21.00.

We will be bringing along a variety of flavours so you’ll be able to pick and choose which you would like!

I look forward to meeting you at the event.

Always,
    Ms. Cupcake

You may want to remove the email address from the post - it'll almost certainly start receiving spam if you don't.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    it'll almost certainly start receiving spam if you don't.
    Not nice.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Quote Marrers View Post
    Today they had mojito, strawberry, apple-mint and pink lemonade vegan sorbets. Apparently the cones are vegan too though you can have it in a paper cup instead. 1 scoop is £2, 2 scoops £3 and 3 scoops £4.

I made a special trip to The Level to try Loving Hut but found it closed (at 2.15pm). There is no info on the building - no opening hours, no menu and no note to say why they were closed today. Very unhelpful as well as bad marketing.
    According to the website they are open 7 days a week until 7pm.

Mousee!!

Is the loving hut part of same named chain in the US?

Looks like it - clicky (UK) and clicky (US). Our vegan Chinese place in Norwich has just become a Loving Hut. And is now open on Saturdays (yay!).
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

That place looks amazing!
    I wish we'd one over here!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Just had cheezeburger (or the MacDonaldWatson as we call it) and chips and carrot cake with BassPixie at The Loving Hut, and a walk on The Downs for calorific removal which was much needed. It's our new favourite place already. B's boyf even likes it and he's quite the omni.

New bar the Black Dove has opened where Gin Gin used to be, on the corner of St James Street and Lower Rock Gardens. The owner Will is lovely and although he already knows a few of his drinks are vegan he will be looking into which others are vegan in the next few weeks. I know they have several vegan organic wines by the glass but there are probably more by the bottle (as all their wines are supplied by Vintage Roots). They do cocktails too. They will be selling some Dark Star on tap (some of which are vegan) and are one of the few places selling Cotswolds beers - does anyone know if they are vegan?

As their kitchen is very small they offer food from local eateries - including Pizzaface (vegan cheese pizzas!) and a thai place (which can also do vegan food) - which is delivered and nicely plated up for you.

the Black Dove, 74 St James St, Kemptown, Brighton, BN2 1PA.

BLACK DOVE
    With a different pub to visit every day of the year, it takes something special for a new Brighton boozer to make its mark on the map. The Black Dove on St James Street might just have what it takes. Special rates for students look set to ram it to the gunnels, and a stoosh rotation of be-bop, jazz and contemporary beat music alongside live rhythm’n’blues and soul are the perfect accompaniment to getting the right side of a few cut-price cold drinks. Pop in if you want to perform or just sup subsidised ciders.
    http://www.brightonsource.co.uk/news...town-july-2010

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    Just had cheezeburger (or the MacDonaldWatson as we call it) and chips and carrot cake with BassPixie at The Loving Hut, and a walk on The Downs for calorific removal which was much needed. It's our new favourite place already. B's boyf even likes it and he's quite the omni.
    It looks quite interesting there - Just read the prices further up /\ /\
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

I miss Brighton so much and it looks like alot has changed since my last visit. This definately calls for a trip down South soon. I'm sure I can drag a few herts/beds vegans with me. :P
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I miss Brighton so much and it looks like alot has changed since my last visit. This definately calls for a trip down South soon. I'm sure I can drag a few herts/beds vegans with me. :P
    You know it.

As for you HP......it's about time we actually met! :P
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.