Thread: 70% Cocoa Chocolate

adam.rurka

Default 70% Cocoa Chocolate

What's everyones opinion on 70% (or more) cocoa chocolate as a healthy vegan food? I notice it has cocoa butter... what exactly is this? Do you consider it healthy? And it is vegan right?

Default Re: 70% Cocoa Chocolate

Cocoa butter is the fat from the cocoa beans. It's vegan. I wouldn't call large quantities of cocoa butter healthy, nor is it very tasteful. It's very bitter.

Small quantities of chocolat are probably healthy. The sugar is what makes it unhealthy. The darker the chocolate, the less sugar it would have.

not a chef yet

I would consider limited quantities of dark chocolate to be healthy, but I eat 90%-100% cocoa chocolate so there's very little sugar. I agree that the less sugar the better in terms of health, but I think a little bit of 70%+ will give you the benefits of the antioxidants without detracting from it too much from that with the sugar. I also don't think that the saturated fat in cocoa butter is unhealthy as long as you're not eating it by the bucketload - in my opinion it's not comparable to other sources of saturated fat from animal products, healthwise.

adam.rurka

^^ That's what I read on Dr. Oz's website the other day. That the saturated fat in dark chocolate does not affect your blood cholesterol the same as saturated fat in animal products.

If this is the case, I wonder why.

not a chef yet

^ I just googled it and apparently 61% of the fat in chocolate is saturated and 57% of that is stearic acid which converts to unsaturated fat in the body after consumption.

Quote veganchef View Post
    I would consider limited quantities of dark chocolate to be healthy, but I eat 90%-100% cocoa chocolate so there's very little sugar.
    Where do you get this chocolate from? I'd really like some 100% cocoa chocolate, I tried 99% once long ago and although it's very bitter it's also very moreish.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    I'd really like some 100% cocoa chocolate

Fortnum and Mason
    sell 100% Cocoa Chocolate (I think its for cooking though).
    As does Willie

Lindt have also stated making a 70% cocoa bar (Vegan) that is mild, for anyone who doesn't like the bitterness of dark chocolate (Personally I like the bitterness though)

70% is as dark as i like to go, just because of the buzziness i get after that, i don't like it.

my husband has bought a higher content from a supermarket, i'll check where it's from and if it's vegan, risker and firestorm.

not a chef yet

Quote Risker View Post
    Where do you get this chocolate from? I'd really like some 100% cocoa chocolate, I tried 99% once long ago and although it's very bitter it's also very moreish.
    http://www.chocolatetradingco.com/bu...&o=2&pz=10&p=1

Mostly I eat these. Hotel Chocolat sells a 100% chocolate which is really good, though it's very expensive.