Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Heather Mills News x 2 !

Default Re: Heather Mills News x 2 !

Ha ha! that's always the way Leedsveg!

I'm just so glad of the fact that there might be a chain of vegan restaurants that I don't care who's working in them, as long as everything is vegan!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

cobweb

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Will she be there in the kitchen with a pinny on, cooking? We twice went into Moby's cafe in NY City, 'Teany', four years ago, and never saw the bald-headed vegan pop star. What a swizz. I understand he's now sold his share of the business to his ex.

Dunno, i did read an interview with her and she reckoned she'd do the Sunday roasts herself but i'm going for the food, not to meet Heather

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Will she be there in the kitchen with a pinny on, cooking? We twice went into Moby's cafe in NY City, 'Teany', four years ago, and never saw the bald-headed vegan pop star. What a swizz. I understand he's now sold his share of the business to his ex.
    I'm pretty sure he still owns it with his ex - I read on the SSOV blog yesterday that Teany was burnt to the ground a couple of weeks ago but they are hoping to have it reopened by the end of the summer. Celebs are rarely seen in their own restuarants - it's the same with the professional TV chefs... It's all about the 'brand' isn't it?!

i'm almost certain Moby sold his share in Teany but i can't remember where i heard that. i didn't know it had burned down.

i'm going to V-Bites tonight so i hope they've ironed out most of their teething problems. i'll report back tomorrow.

[QUOTE=Gorilla;590439]i'm almost certain Moby sold his share in Teany but i can't remember where i heard that. i didn't know it had burned down.
    QUOTE]

Yep, just read the article again - you and LeedVeg were right - he sold his share to his ex.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i'm going to V-Bites tonight so i hope they've ironed out most of their teething problems. i'll report back tomorrow.
    I'm so jealous Gorilla!

Hope you have a lovely time and I can't wait to hear what it was like!

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    I was told by the bar manager at VBites, a long-standing and intelligent vegan woman, that Ms Mills has indeed very recently bought the Redwoods Foods company.

I thought the products on her site looked suspiciously similar.

Shame the restuarant uses products that you can buy off the shelf - takes away some of the point of eating out.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

hey,
    went to v bites on the weekend with my boyfriend.
    both had a burger and shared some chips. both really liked the burger (him more than me, I reckoned it wasn't as nice as a fry's!)- really filling as came in a big brown roll, yum. chips not very nice. boyfriend had a latte which was really good.
    took ages to get served, but it was so busy and they had only been open a week or so, so it's fair enough i guess.
    bought some choc buttons which were made by coco loco which were v.v.nice and only a few made it home and to the next day..
    for all the things I could criticise it for, my main thought when sitting outside waiting for food and drinks to come was 'how amazing, there are loads of kids [the cafe is right by a playground, skate park and lagoon where people do wind surfing etc] walking around eating vegan ice creams and cakes etc and drinking healthy drinks without all the crap you'd get in drinks at normal park cafes'. There were a lot of people there, lots of families and children, and I think its great that they have to go to v bites for a drink or snack, unless they want to walk a bit as there's not much else around, so whatever they order, its vegan. brilliant!
    I really hope this place survives- I'm not sure how much business it will get during the week or in winter?- and I will definitely go back even though its a bit out of town.
    anyway, be interested to hear what other people say.
    oh also, other people were sitting on the table we were at, I don't know if they were vegan, veggie or what but I heard them saying they liked the food.
    xx

Hi Yo-Yo,
    Sounds like you had a really positive experience and it must have been lovely to see loads of other people all enjoying vegan food and ice cream!
    I definitely want to go to V-Bites................if she doesn't open a branch up over here I'll be on the first plane/ferry I can find!

i went to V-Bites last night (despite not really being in the mood).

it was a bit of a pain getting there and i wasn't able to enjoy the outside space as it was stupidly windy (as it often is down there). i have to say i think it still looks really shabby and greasy-spoon on the outside, but perhaps that's intentional i don't know. the inside's completely different though, the bar and main eating area is really trendy and nicely decorated.

it was pretty busy and there were people sitting at the bar waiting to be seated for main meals. the menu is mostly Redwoods-based. i had a Corona and a lemongrass 'chicken' with coconut rice. it was very tasty but i probably could've made it myself quite easily. my friend had a burger which she said was ok, she wasn't massively impressed. i had a few of her chips and they weren't bad.

we both had cake, they have a cake area with a rotating conveyor belt like in a sushi bar with little cupcakes going round it, which i thought was cute. i had a chocolate mocha cake, it was nice and pretty similar to the one they have in Infinity. my friend had a lime and coconut cake which she enjoyed, i had a little piece and it was very creamy and limey.

a lady who was sitting next to me had nachos which looked really good and i wished i'd had some, i'll have to have them next time! they seem to be getting in the swing of things now and i'd definitely go back again. i really hope it stays popular, i'm just not sure how well they'll do in the winter when people aren't using the seafront much - i'm not sure it's worth making a special journey for many people.

Yes it's probably not so good as a winter location if it's where I'm picturing it, but on the other hand I suppose there are dog walkers and so on year round (although presumably they couldn't take their dogs inside the caff)? It's not too expensive to deter the casual eater, is it?

Must try and get down there for a look!

[QUOTE=Gorilla;590704]
    we both had cake, they have a cake area with a rotating conveyor belt like in a sushi bar with little cupcakes going round it, which i thought was cute. i had a chocolate mocha cake, it was nice and pretty similar to the one they have in Infinity. my friend had a lime and coconut cake which she enjoyed, i had a little piece and it was very creamy and limey. [QUOTE]
    I saw a photo of this 'cake conveyer' - that looks like the main event as far as I'm concerned! Very cool idea and if that taste good too that's good news!

Yo-yo: that's a really good point - all those non vegans being 'forced' to eat vegan due to lack of choice. I can just heard the conversation now: 'They only have vegan ice cream, that sounds disgusting'. 'But I really want ice cream.' 'Do you know what, I can bearly taste the difference.' Could be a great thing in making vegan food less alien to omnis.

Quote sandra View Post
    Hi Yo-Yo,
    Sounds like you had a really positive experience and it must have been lovely to see loads of other people all enjoying vegan food and ice cream!
    I definitely want to go to V-Bites................if she doesn't open a branch up over here I'll be on the first plane/ferry I can find!
    hey sandra- yes it was nice to see lots of people eating vegan grub! who knows, maybe there'll be one over there some time soon...?!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i went to V-Bites last night (despite not really being in the mood).

it was a bit of a pain getting there and i wasn't able to enjoy the outside space as it was stupidly windy (as it often is down there). i have to say i think it still looks really shabby and greasy-spoon on the outside, but perhaps that's intentional i don't know. the inside's completely different though, the bar and main eating area is really trendy and nicely decorated.
    hey gorilla- it was pretty windy when we went too. i don't like the outside of it either, I think the colours are horrible...but hey, that's just my opinion, I suppose at least it catches your attention?

xx

Quote VeganMonkey View Post

Yo-yo: that's a really good point - all those non vegans being 'forced' to eat vegan due to lack of choice. I can just heard the conversation now: 'They only have vegan ice cream, that sounds disgusting'. 'But I really want ice cream.' 'Do you know what, I can bearly taste the difference.' Could be a great thing in making vegan food less alien to omnis.
    hey vegan monkey- yes exactly. so that people (omnis) don't associate vegan food with just the stereotype of lentils and sprouts, or things which are completely different to what they would normally eat.

xx

Quote harpy View Post
    Yes it's probably not so good as a winter location if it's where I'm picturing it, but on the other hand I suppose there are dog walkers and so on year round (although presumably they couldn't take their dogs inside the caff)? It's not too expensive to deter the casual eater, is it?
    there is a serving hatch for sandwiches and things so they could order from outside and keep hold of the dog, whether they'd want to eat out in the wind and rain though i don't know. Brighton does get visitors all year round but it is a very long way from Brighton city centre.

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    Until an ice-cream van owner realises there's money to be made and parks up outside.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Im hoping to go next month when Im there - might go over for breakfast?

There was a small paragraph in London Lite newspaper today about Heather Mills buying Redwoods.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

They've put it on their news page now

HEATHER MILLS ACQUIRES THE REDWOOD WHOLEFOOD COMPANY
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Thanks for the link, Very interesting

*live*&*let*live

Can't see it making any difference (I hope!)

Quote Risker View Post
    Until an ice-cream van owner realises there's money to be made and parks up outside.
    On the day VBites opened there was an ice cream van there selling only vegan ice cream. I saw some kids from the playground eating it and they didn't say that it tasted any different to dairy ice cream, they just lapped it up. I presume the vegan ice cream van was only there for the opening day.

*live*&*let*live

^ what a shame! It should be there all the time! Wonder why this hasn't been covered by Ms Mills? Maybe it has and we don't know about it? :smile:

leedsveg

(How the tone of the postings has changed since the thread was started on 23 September 2008!)

Some time in late 2010, V-Bites restaurants will be all over the UK, and Redwood will be rivalling Quorn for range and ubiquity of products in supermarkets. By then, people will commonly referring to HM as St Heather, and Sir Paul will give a tv interview in which he says 'Perhaps some time in the 35 years since I went vegetarian, it would have made sense if Linda and I had taken the next step and gone vegan.'

leedsveg

As long as it means I can actually get the bleedin' Chorizo pieces without having to go to a vegan fayre I don't care!
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

[QUOTE=leedsveg;592957]... Sir Paul will give a tv interview in which he says 'Perhaps some time in the 35 years since I went vegetarian, it would have made sense if Linda and I had taken the next step and gone vegan.' [QUOTE]

That would be good wouldn't it?! I have no strong personal feelings for Heather either way but at least she took the logical step. I don't understand people who are passionate veggies, clued up on animal rights and working with charities like Viva who don't then take their beliefs to their conclusion.

*live*&*let*live

Ditto! Why not just move a few more steps....I mean it's dairy for goodness sake! The animals aren't asking you to cut your arm off are they?!

*Or are they...? MMMmmmmmmwwwwaaaaaahhhhhaaa*

Sorry forgot where I was for a minute then, where am I again? Oh yeah. Time to go home, time to go home.....

Quote leedsveg View Post
    (How the tone of the postings has changed since the thread was started on 23 September 2008!)

leedsveg
    The redtops did a good spin on Heather though. No one comes out of a battle against them intact!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

*live*&*let*live

She gave them plenty to go on though, unfortunately public 'meltdowns' and 'rants' about 'everyone's favourite Beatle' didn't help.

Mahk

"Everyone's" favorite Beatle? *ahem*, I personally think the Best Beatle was Pete.

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    She gave them plenty to go on though, unfortunately public 'meltdowns' and 'rants' about 'everyone's favourite Beatle' didn't help.
    I missed all that thankfully. I don't watch morning TV so never saw the (in)famous interviews, and i take no notice of the tabloids.
    All i knew was that she was vegan and seemed to be rather more committed to it than Paul, and was going through a divorce so, by law, required a settlement as is fair in any case really!
    It really did surprise me the vitriol she recieved from the public on internet forums and such like!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

leedsveg

I'll forgive HM (almost) anything if she gets Redwood producing a product that has the texture and taste of cod. (The 'I knit my own tofu'-brigade may not be happy with that, but as long as it's suitable for vegans, it's ok by me*.)

leedsveg

*Although some food producers such as Nestle, McDonalds, Procter & Gamble, et al remain on my boycott list, even if they have products suitable for vegans.

leedsveg

Quote gogs67 View Post
    The redtops did a good spin on Heather though. No one comes out of a battle against them intact!
    There is a Latin phrase which seems to apply here, namely 'res ipsa loquitur' which roughly translates as 'the action speaks for itself'. In other words, 'judge a person more by their deeds [donating food in NYC, V-Bites, Redwood ], rather than their words [quoted, perhaps selectively, in a redtop].

leedsveg

*live*&*let*live

LV - the fishless fingers or fishless scampi don't rock my world either.
    Gogs - I don't see daytime tv as out at work or buy newspapers, but it was everywhere, God, the poor woman, they didn't half drag that out! With regards to the split, both sides have a story. Both sides will have had 'hurt' done to them and both will have the right to defend themselves. Two sides to every story and all that jazz. :smile:

ETA: LV you may want to check out the L'Oreal thread..I have been slated for boycotting....ouch!

There has been awesome fake battered cod at the last two Bristol Vegan Fayres.

leedsveg

LV - the fishless fingers or fishless scampi don't rock my world either.
    ETA: LV you may want to check out the L'Oreal thread..I have been slated for boycotting....ouch!
    Hi L & LL

I find the fishless fingers and fishless scampi are both ok until I actually start eating them. Never mind, they look good. I wonder if the Quorn fishless analogue(s) taste any better?

I've checked the L'Oreal thread and it seems to be getting as bloody as the Man bored to death by Bull**** (aka pro/anti/boxing) thread did. Think I'll resist the temptation to join in, even though I've seen a couple of recent phrases of mine in there (high horse, ivory tower).

leedsveg

leedsveg

Quote Enchantress View Post
    Battered cod? Don't you be getting the pro and anti boxing posters fighting again!

My wife and I went to House of Vegetarian restaurant in Chinatown NYC four years ago and had fake battered cod with rice. It was pretty good but would have been better if they'd not brought such ginormous helpings, there was easily enough for 4/5 people. We had wondered why it was twice as expensive ($12) as other items on the menu ($6), but not realising that it was intended for two people, we ordered two lots. We'll know better next time.

leedsveg

*live*&*let*live

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Hi L & LL

I find the fishless fingers and fishless scampi are both ok until I actually start eating them. Never mind, they look good. I wonder if the Quorn fishless analogue(s) taste any better?

I've checked the L'Oreal thread and it seems to be getting as bloody as the Man bored to death by Bull**** (aka pro/anti/boxing) thread did. Think I'll resist the temptation to join in, even though I've seen a couple of recent phrases of mine in there (high horse, ivory tower).

leedsveg
    chicken

leedsveg

chicken
    Less of your fowl language please!

lv

Quote leedsveg View Post
    There is a Latin phrase which seems to apply here, namely 'res ipsa loquitur' which roughly translates as 'the action speaks for itself'. In other words, 'judge a person more by their deeds [donating food in NYC, V-Bites, Redwood ], rather than their words [quoted, perhaps selectively, in a redtop].

leedsveg
    That'll do for me...back of the net....Ho Yuss!
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

*live*&*let*live

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Less of your fowl language please!

lv

You have cheered me up no end mate!

Quote Enchantress View Post
    it's nice but absolutely nothing like fish. it's like a mock-chicken fillet with a piece of seaweed stuck to it, and then deep-fried.

in case anybody hasn't read the meet-up thread, i'm organising a forum V-Bites meal next month.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I thought it tasted like the cod I used to get from chip shops, but I've probably forgotten what that tasted like.

leedsveg

Quote Gorilla View Post
    in case anybody hasn't read the meet-up thread, i'm organising a forum V-Bites meal next month.
    Are the local bobbies on standby? (I'm thinking how belligerent some forum members are.)

leedsveg

most people are quite different in real life to the way they act on internet forums.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Yes, I'm actually quite charming in real life

I'm not. I'm consistently obnoxious

Zero

Although Gorilla is quite purple and sparkly in real life too

Quote Gorilla View Post
    most people are quite different in real life to the way they act on internet forums.
    Unfortunately, I'm exactly the same person in real life as I am on the forum.
    As my mother used to say, 'There are no back doors in you Sandra!'

(Meaning, what you see is what you get!)

Quote sandra View Post
    As my mother used to say, 'There are no back doors in you Sandra!'