Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Holland and Barrett

cobweb

Default Re: Holland and Barrett

Quote Firestorm View Post
    I would love H&B to increase their range of Vegan food, but I keep reminding myself that they have never called themselves a Vegan or vegetarian shop, they just happen to stock a range of those foods. With regards to the Whey protein part of me is disheartened to see so much of that stuff in their shops, but they have to sell a wide range of products - I dont think they could afford to stay open if only vegans shopped there, plus they also sell vegan soya protein (which I use) so at least they are trying to cater for us in that way as well

This is true, and at least they don't sell meat like some 'health food shops' do. Mind you, I was shocked to hear the Manager of our local H&B recently reading from a book (to a customer) that iron comes from "oysters, beef and veal" .

Back on fridges, the fridge in our H&B seems to be OK at the moment but the freezer has a sign on it saying "Temporarily out of work" The English language is certainly a minefield for unsuspecting foreigners isn't it?

They have the "buy one get one half price" offer so I have been stocking up on organic sunflower seeds for the h-hogs. No sign of the loyalty card yet though so they can't be in the pilot scheme.

Quote harpy View Post
    They have the "buy one get one half price" offer so I have been stocking up on organic sunflower seeds for the h-hogs. Back on fridges, the fridge in our H&B seems to be OK at the moment but the freezer has a sign on it saying "Temporarily out of work" The English language is certainly a minefield for unsuspecting foreigners isn't it?
    No sign of the loyalty card yet though so they can't be in the pilot scheme.
    @Harpy You can request a card online and use it in any of their stores (even if they are not part of the pilot), if they are not trained in how to use it they have to scan the card first, then scan your products and it will give you a points reading on the bottom of the receipt.

If your after seeds - B&M bargains are selling Food Doctor original seed mix for 29 pence a pack (best before end of August)

Thanks Firestorm - I should follow up the card although I feel it may take a while to explain to this crew what they need to do, given their grasp of English

The hedgehogs are a bit picky about what seeds they'll eat and I try to give them the organic ones because of pesticides. Also we get through pounds of the things so I need BIG bags

There is a penny sale on at the moment - some products are buy one get another for a penny.

leedsveg

Just received via email my first 'loyalty voucher' for £5 so I'll be going in to H&B this Saturday to spend it. Not a large amount but I also get 10% discount for being in the Vegan and Vegetarian Societies.

Leedsveg

Default Holland and Barrett

I'm gonna brave the rain lunch time and go there cause I've fallen in love with redwood fish fingers. Their food is so lush!
    Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Why don't they offer you trolleys? Not many people seem to buy as much as I do, I decided to do my weekly shop instead of the supermarket this week. They have so much lovely food. I had 20 questions off the sales assistant as to why I was buying so much and why I'm vegan etc. they didn't half make me feel like I was being greedy! Must people seem to get the odd item and go.

Do any of you do weekly shops there?
    Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Not real name!

Quote jackie View Post
    Do any of you do weekly shops there?
    Not unless we've won the lottery.

No, but it's just round the corner so I suppose I often go in there more than once a week. Actually there wouldn't be room for trolleys in our one - the aisles are so narrow that you can't easily navigate your way to the checkout if there's another customer!

Quote harpy View Post
    No, but it's just round the corner so I suppose I often go in there more than once a week.
    Wish mine was.

Think it's a mixed blessing for those of us with limited self control as it makes vegan junk food too readily available Not their fault of course!

That's true. They do cause me to eat too much pastry and choc

I have to wait about an hour for a train connection on the way home so I walk into town and end up going to H&B about 4 times a week buying food I really dont need (the house is full). I'm trying to refrain from going in at the minute because I think one of the sales assistants might fancy me (keeps batting their eyelids and smiling at me) and it makes me uncomfortable, but sometimes I just cant resist a sneaky sos roll on the way home!

ROFL! If you're not interested, you'll have to say something subtle like "I only come here for the sausage rolls you know"

Maybe you'll get staff discount if you start seeing the staff

Quote jackie View Post
    Maybe you'll get staff discount if you start seeing the staff
    Never gonna happen!! I dont want to say anything in case I offend - or worse have it completely wrong and they are just being friendly.

Not real name!

I'm trying to refrain from going in at the minute because I think one of the sales assistants might fancy me (keeps batting their eyelids and smiling at me) and it makes me uncomfortable,
    Sorry. I'll stop doing that.

^^.

Do you really work for Holland & Barrett?

leedsveg

Sod seduction. I just want somebody at H & B to shout "BOGOFF!" at me as I'm walking past.

lv

Buy One Get One Free F**ker?
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

leedsveg

Quote Risker View Post
    Buy One Get One Free F**ker?
    Yup. They know me well.

lv

I wasn't calling you a bad name LV, just trying to work out what the last word might be
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

leedsveg

Quote Risker View Post
    I wasn't calling you a bad name LV, just trying to work out what the last word might be
    Buy one get one for free? (But I still think your version is better Risker.)

lv

Quote harpy View Post
    ROFL! If you're not interested, you'll have to say something subtle like "I only come here for the sausage rolls you know"
    That may not be an entirely innuendo-free statement though - could just make things worse!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Good point Twinkle. How about "Just feeling a bit peckish..." No, wait.

Hi there

I am from Manchester, and I see their shop on Market St has no chilled products. Then they have another in St Ann's square, which does, but it's once in a while they have lovely stock like the pasties or the cheesecake I love. Last time I went, I was craving a cake and was hoping... to get on.. and then... oh - all they had was diabetic icecream, of which, of course is certainly not vegan. I ended up leaving with a packed of dried apple rings and some carob chocolate.

When I lived in Birmingham, there was 3 holland and barrett's, full with scrummy stock. They had everything. Even though Manchester have just won 'second biggest city' title, I still think, if we were addressing the title to Holland and Barrett's, it would be Birmingham that wins.

So, if anybody is in Manchester, and knows of a thrid holland and barrett, or the nearest one from the centre - please help me!

Have you tried the 8th Day Co-op? They are better than Holland and Barrett (in my humble opinion) - they have loads of vegan products (far more than H&B) and a cafe with vegan options and fresh vegan food to take away: http://www.eighth-day.co.uk/

Have you tried the 8th Day Co-op? They are better than Holland and Barrett (in my humble opinion) - they have loads of vegan products (far more than H&B) and a cafe with vegan options and fresh vegan food to take away: http://www.eighth-day.co.uk/
    Heyloot! Yeah, 8th day is amazing - lovely caramel and blackberry cake i get fat from there!
    I think it's because I am so used to Holland and Barrett pasties. I know lots of 8th day pasties are from Forest Foods, made in Chorlton, but they taste a bit processed. Even though, holland and barret's are rather processed too. I just miss goring on a good ole hollanded sos roll, with (non-dairy of course) cheese slices wrapped around! Fat food to the max!

Cheers for suggestion Firestorm!

I think somewhere on the forum (may have imagined this) that someone posted a link to the company that makes them, maybe you can mail order!

Edit: Found it - http://www.xfoodco.com/gallery.htm
    Last edited by Firestorm; Aug 31st, 2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Found link

Not real name!

Although I can't remember the make of it, I saw today that the flapjack they sell in H&B has several flavours listed as vegan. The apple and sultana one was very nice.

CuddlyChicken

Last edited by CuddlyChicken; Jun 26th, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    Although I can't remember the make of it, I saw today that the flapjack they sell in H&B has several flavours listed as vegan. The apple and sultana one was very nice.
    the BEST one is the cherry and coconut one. i could eat it for the rest of my life.

I prefer the date and walnut, although I think Redwoods choc chip is better than them all

Flapjack fussy are we? ;-p
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote Gwydion View Post
    Flapjack fussy are we? ;-p
    Hell Yeah!

Our local H&B is dishing out the loyalty card now, so I reckon that means all the branches have them as ours tends to be a bit backward.

so is mine! got me one today.

I'm nearly out of H & B 'Super Vegan' multivitamins, but they are no longer listed on their website. Does anyone know if they have been discontinued?
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

leedsveg

^^^
    ....in a similar vein, have their own brand "premium" frozen sausages been discontinued?

Leedsveg

I hope not, are they the Lincolnshire style ones? They are my favourite!

leedsveg

I hope not, are they the Lincolnshire style ones? They are my favourite!
    No, its the £1.69 ones with 6 in a packet. At the moment, they only seem to be selling the Vegetarians Choice brand at 99p, which are smaller in size, have only 5 in the packet and come in "ordinary" and Lincolnshire styles.

Lv

Oh I meant these:

I hope they haven't stopped making their own brand sausages. These might be on the way out as well, I will have to do a trip to H&B tomorrow and see what I can get hold of.

"Although I can't remember the make of it, I saw today that the flapjack they sell in H&B has several flavours listed as vegan. The apple and sultana one was very nice.".....

They also stock them at ALDI's now - if the layout everywhere is the same as the Grimsby branch, you will find them at the checkout. 49p iirc, so 20p cheaper than H+B.
    Only about 3 flavours though - but they defo have at least one vegan friendly one, which has a big SUITABLE FOR VEGANS sticker on the front.

leedsveg

^^^

Sorry Firestorm. That is the packet for the sausages that I meant. I've been eating them for so long that I'd forgotten that theyare in fact 'Lincolnshire style'. They are my favourites too so I hope their absence is only temporary.

Leedsveg

I think these have replaced them.

Crusty Rat

It's a love-hate thing. It's convenient/it's a chain store. They have vegan snacks/they're fuckin' 'orrible.

Quote leedsveg View Post
    ^^^

Sorry Firestorm. That is the packet for the sausages that I meant. I've been eating them for so long that I'd forgotten that theyare in fact 'Lincolnshire style'. They are my favourites too so I hope their absence is only temporary.

Leedsveg
    I went today and they had none. I have emailed them to find out what they are playing at!

H&B is just getting worse and worse!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

They have just confirmed the Lincolnsire sausages have been deleted :-(