Thread: Vegan UK map

Smile Vegan UK map

Hellooooo everyone Apologies if this has already been done.

I have put together a google map of Vegan friendly places throughout the UK. Restaurants, Cafes, Guest houses etc. that cater for Vegans ( even if they are not all exclusive to vegans ) I have added websites to their info where available.
    I thought it would be a great way to check what we all have local to us, and further afield when we are away from home.
    If anybody has any more suggestions to add, then feel free to post in this thread, and i will add them.

GOOGLE MAP - VEGAN UK

xx
    ~WE MUST NOT REFUSE WITH OUR EYES WHAT THEY MUST ENDURE WITH THEIR BODIES.~

BlackCats

Default Re: Vegan UK - Map

Well done. Thanks.

I made one a while back too - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?cd=...f0d907d2ae&z=5 - The majority of places are Wetherspoons as there's so many of them.

Thanks for the map, great idea.
    May all creatures be well, may they be happy and may they be at peace.

Are you interested in shops or just places that sell 'ready to eat' food?

There's a few veggie places on Belgrave road in Leicester,
    Shops in Leicester there's: Green and Plesant an Queens road,
    the Wholefood COOP (Freehold street, just off Dysart way),
    Mirch Masala (one in town and one just off belgrave road) - actually that's a restaurant not a shop.

There's likley a few other places too but not sure.

It's a really good idea, but hard to make it 'complete'.

That's awesome! Thanks very much indeed. *bookmark*

Something like this really ought to be integrated into happycow.

Neither maps have The Porter, Bath. It's predominantly a vegetairna pub which also serves food, but they also do vegan options. Very yummy.

Thanks very much everyone. I shall add all your suggestions tomorrow. I am happy to add any vegan friendly places, restaurants, shops, anything you guys can recommend.
    I went down to Devon last year and had no idea where to go to get good Vegan food etc, so i thought a map like this would be so handy for anyone traveling to new and unknown destinations.
    Thanks for your input everyone xx

Default Re: Vegan UK map

EDINBURGH:

Forest cafe, Bristo Place.
    Henderson's Bistro, 25 Thistle Street
    Henderson's restaurant & shop, 94 Hanover St
    Henderson's St. Johns, 1 Lothian Road
    Jordan Valley wholefoods, 8 Nicolson Street
    Real Foods, 8 Brougham St
    Real Foods, 37 Broughton St
    Holland & Barrett, 3 Rose Street
    Holland & Barrett 124 Nicolson Street
    Holland & Barrett 14-16 Shandwick Place
    David Bann restaurant, 56-58 St. Mary's Street
    Annapurna, 44 St. patrick Sq.
    L'Artichaut, 14 Eyre Place
    Black Bo's, 57-61 Blackfriars st.

MANCHESTER

Oklahoma, 74-76 High Street
    The Eighth Day cafe & shop, 111 Oxford Road
    Thirsty Scholar, 50 New Wakefield Street
    Dough Pizza Kitchen, 75 High St.
    Odd Bar, 30-32 Thomas St
    Odder Bar, 14 Oxford Rd
    Oddest Bar, 414-416 Wilbraham Road, Chorlton.
    Cornerhouse Cinema bar, 70 Oxford Street
    Tampopo, 16 Albert Square
    Tampopo, Exchange Sq.
    Wagamama, 1 Spinningfields Sq.
    Wagamama, 27 Withy Grove
    Fuel Cafe & Bar, 448 Wilmslow Road, Withington.
    Unicorn vegan supermarket, 89 Albany Road, Chorlton
    Cafe Ark, Sale Water Park (Adjacent to the visitors centre).
    Ning Malaysian, 92-94 Oldham Street
    Cocoa Emporium, 2nd floor, Affleck's Palace.
    No Skin Veg*n Shop, 1st floor, Affleck's Palace.
    Topaz Wellbeing Cafe, 216-218 Katherine Street, Ashton-under-Lyne
    The Coven cafe, 42-44 Wallgate, Wigan
    The Coven deli, 43 Hallgate, Wigan.

GLASGOW

Mono- Cafe/ Restaurant/ Bar- 10 King Street Glasgow G1 5RB, http://www.monocafebar.com/
    The 78- Cafe/ Restaurant/ Bar/- 10 Kelvinhaugh Street Glasgow G3 8NU, http://www.the78cafebar.com/
    Stereo- Cafe/ Restaurant/ Bar, 20 Renfield Lane, Glasgow, http://www.stereocafebar.com/
    Roots and Fruits Wholefoods- Healthfoods Shop, 451 Great Western Road Glasgow Lanarkshire G12 8HH
    Grassroots Organic- Healthfoods shop, 20 Woodlands Road, Glasgow, www.grassrootsorganic.com
    The Flying Duck- Nightclub (serves toast!), 142 Renfield Street Glasgow, www.flyingduckclub.com
    Quality Deli and Health Foods- Healthfoods shop, 123 Douglas Street Glasgow,
    Tapa Bake House, Bakery/ Cafe, 19-21 Whitehill Street Glasgow, www.tapabakehouse.com/
    Tchai Ovna (City Centre), Tearoom, 58 Berkeley Street Glasgow, tchaiovna.com
    Tchai Ovna (West End), Tearoom, 42 Otago Lane Glasgow, tchaiovna.com
    VOV Organic- Healthfoods shop, 35 Old Dumbarton Road Glasgow, http://www.vovorganic.co.uk/
    Last edited by kikifromscotland; May 16th, 2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Adding websites and type of establishment

Thank you very much, i shall add them as soon as i get chance xx

RebeccaDye

Great map animal-crackers!
    P.S. Also London: Spirited Palace, 105 Church Road, Crystal Palace and The Ma'at Centre 126 Rushey Green, SE6 4AA

whenI get the chance, I will also get the addresses for all the London pizza express/wagamama/H&B locations.

If users could do the same for their part of the world we will see a very vegan-friendly UK map!

^ Personally I wouldn't include places like Pizza Express, adapting food to be vegan isn't vegan-friendly in my book, most places will do that.

Just a suggestion animal-crackers but you could set the collaboration settings to invite and people like bryzee and kiki with huge lists could add them themselves.

Nice idea animal-crackers.

Here's one for you as you have only Lettuce And Lovage listed for Truro, but right opposite we have Archie Browns restaurant/deli/shop. 105-106 Kenwyn Street, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 3BX. For possibly the smallest city in the UK we're really lucky to have two veggie places within only a few paces.

There is also an Archie Browns in Penzance at Bread Street, Penzance, Cornwall. TR18 2EQ.

Here's one for Falmouth: Pea Souk veggie cafe, 19c Well Lane, Church Street, Falmouth, TR11 3EG . And whilst you're there, check out the Cornish Miner pasty shop at Customs House Quay that do at least two pasties that are listed as vegan.
    On about pasties, check out Pengenna Pasties in Bude, Tintagel, and St Ives who make vegan friendly pasties.
    Last edited by vegcurry; May 16th, 2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typo

Essex : My Kitchen 80 Leigh Road, Leigh on sea. SS9 1BZ Essex - a vegetarian restaurant that caters well for vegans.

trudatman

Quote Risker View Post
    ....I wouldn't include places like Pizza Express, adapting food to be vegan isn't vegan-friendly in my book, most places will do that.
    exactly why I don't see the point of listing vegetarian places, either. there are very few restaurants on this planet that don't have a head of lettuce they could serve you. a list like this should be of vegan places. "vegan-friendly" is insulting.

I disagree. Vegetarian restaurants very often have far, far more palatable vegan options than omni places. If all I wanted was a head of lettuce, I'd go to Sainsbury's!

Quote trudatman View Post
    exactly why I don't see the point of listing vegetarian places, either. there are very few restaurants on this planet that don't have a head of lettuce they could serve you. a list like this should be of vegan places. "vegan-friendly" is insulting.
    I wouldn't go that far... There would be hardly any then.

When I was making my map the requirement I had was that a vegan option was marked on the menu, hence why I added all the Wetherspoons.

Thank you very much everyone, i shall crack on with adding all the new ones tomorrow. I am happy to add any places that cater for Vegans, ie.that have vegan options already on their menus, or sell vegan goods in their shop.
    I don't see the point in adding places that might rustle up something vegan if you ask. Hope thats ok with everyone.
    The idea of the map, is that if you are in a new town or city, you should still be able to find somewhere to eat or buy food, without having to walk round loads of places, checking out their menus. xx
    oo one more thing, if you add any places to be added to the map, can you make sure that they are not already on there. I added a couple yesterday that i had already put on without realising. And if you could give me the following details that would be fab :-

Business name - address with post code - type of business - website address.

We need Cafes - Restaurants - Deli/sandwich shops - Take away's - Guest houses - B&Bs. That sort of thing.

Thank youuuu xx

Edited my post to add type of establishment and websites where available.

leedsveg

Quote Risker View Post
    ^ Personally I wouldn't include places like Pizza Express, adapting food to be vegan isn't vegan-friendly in my book, most places will do that.
    Eh? I know Pizza Express and Pizza Hut have pizza bases suitable for vegans but for places that don't, there's not much they can do to make the pizzas vegan friendly.

lv

Another one in Edinburgh:

The Greenhouse Vegan and Vegetarian B&B, 14 Hartington Gardens, Edinburgh, EH10 4LD
    http://www.greenhouse-edinburgh.com/

ETA yes I agree it's worth distinguishing pizzerias etc that can accommodate vegans from those that can't although putting in all the branches of Pizza Express could be a bit time consuming for animal-crackers (unless there's a way to add them all automatically)?

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Eh? I know Pizza Express and Pizza Hut have pizza bases suitable for vegans but for places that don't, there's not much they can do to make the pizzas vegan friendly.

lv
    What I'm saying is that you can't just go in and pick something off the menu. It also doesn't say anywhere on the menu anything like "pizza suitable for vegans if ordered without cheese". They could do a vegan pizza, but they don't. Otherwise you might as well add any pub that does a jacket potato with beans and cheese because you can ask for it without cheese or butter.

leedsveg

Quote Risker View Post
    "...most places will do that"?!

Not in my experience.

lv

Helloooooo, i think i have added all the places suggested above. Feel free to check for any mistakes.
    Instead of adding lots of large chains, such as pizza express or holland and Barrett, i have just added links to their websites in the map description box for now.
    Thank you very much for all your help and input. Keep on suggesting places and i will add them ASAP xx

That was a heroic feat of updating, animal-crackers! Thank you, I'm sure the map will be very useful.

Ooooh it's looking good.
    I see you added Spinacio's and The Bean Inn in St Ives - I'd forgotten those two. As I was looking at Falmouth I remembered The Natural Store, they are a healthfood shop that also sells hot snacks and soups.

NAME: The Natural Store
    WEB: www.naturalstorecornwall.co.uk
    ADDRESS: 16-17 High Street, Falmouth, Cornwall
    POSTCODE: TR11 2AB
    TEL: 01326 315656

NAME: The Treetops Cafe
    WEB: www.monkeysanctuary.org
    ADDRESS: Wild Futures Monkey Sanctuary
    Murrayton, Looe, Cornwall
    POSTCODE: PL131NZ
    TEL: 01503 262 532

A predominantly vegan, organic cafe at the very excellent Monkey Sanctuary.
    Last edited by vegcurry; May 17th, 2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo

Awwwww thank you Harpy. I am happy to do it, if it makes being Vegan easier for people. Once you start looking, its good to see there are so many vegan friendly places out there. Lets hope we can keep adding to the list till we all have some decent places on our doorsteps
    Thank you Mr VegCurry sir, i have added those for you

xx

Added those too Risker, thank you

Thanks animal crackers for coming up with this. Its a great idea, looking already there are loads of places I didn't realize had vegan friendly places

Here's a few that I can think of:

Sunnyfields Organic Farm
    Jacobs Gutter Lane
    Totton
    SOUTHAMPTON
    SO40 9FX
    Huge farm shop with loads of vegan stuff and local produce.
    http://www.sunnyfields.co.uk/

The Art House
    178 Above Bar Street
    Southampton
    SO14 7DW
    Lunch time vegan cafe, art gallery, events & crafts centre
    http://www.thearthousesouthampton.co.uk

Naturally Healthy
    30B Bedford Place
    Southampton
    SO15 2DG
    Health Food Store
    No site

Salisbury Health Foods
    15-16 Queen Street
    Salisbury
    SP1 1EY

Get Directions
    Health Food Store
    No site

Sunny Foods
    10-12 South Street
    Eastbourne
    East Sussex
    BN21 4XF
    Health Food Store
    No site

Sound Bites
    11 Morledge
    Derby
    DE1 2AW
    Vegan Health Food Store
    http://www.soundbitesderby.org.uk/

Thank you very much f2097, i shall add those tomorrow xx

Why not contact Happycow and ask for a dump of their data, or request they create a google mashup? Will save you oodles of time, effort and keep everything all in one place.

I'd write a quick scraper and extract their data for you (loadable into google maps in a kml file), however happycow's TOS disallows this.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Why not contact Happycow and ask for a dump of their data, or request they create a google mashup? Will save you oodles of time, effort and keep everything all in one place.

I'd write a quick scraper and extract their data for you (loadable into google maps in a kml file), however happycow's TOS disallows this.
    I did get a list off Happycow and added them to the map. Some of the establishments they had listed are no longer open though, so i still had to double check each one.
    As for all the techie stuff like 'kml files and TOS' , i wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this animal-crackers!

Here's a veggie cafe in Eastbourne to add to your list:

Greens
    25 Seaside Road
    Eastbourne BN21 3PP
    01323 747 815

Awwww thank you very much veganista, its no problem xx I have added Greens

Hi animal-crackers, I saw you have the 'Kumquat Mae' restaurant listed for Sheffield. Unfourtunatly that's now closed down so it'll need removing from the map. But here's an up to date list of places that are vegan friendly in Sheffield:

Blue Moon Cafe
    2 St James Street
    A long-established vegetarian cafe bang in the centre of town, offering tasty wholesome food for breakfast, lunch and tea. Big portions and delicious staff. The vegan chocolate cake is amazing!
    Airy Fairy
    239 London Road
    Art and craft shop with a cafe offering coffee, tea, soup, savoury lunches, freshly made bread, and cake. Organic, fairtrade, and vegetarian with vegan options.
    World Peace Cafe
    685-691 Ecclesall Road, Hunters Bar
    Volunteer-operated non-profit shop and cafe in a Buddhist meditation centre. Serves vegetarian lunches and snacks.
    Kashmir Curry Centre
    123 Spital Hill
    Extremely friendly curry house. Serves meat but also lots of animal-friendly food, including an awesome vegan thali. BYOB or bring a pint across from the pub opposite!
    Nirmals
    189-193 Glossop Road
    Indian restaurant in the centre of town. Owners understanding of veggie/vegan needs. Potato chop highly recommended, and sample the best mango chutney in Sheffield.
    The Fat Cat
    23 Alma Street
    Pub in Kelham Island with a couple of cute cats. Always has a vegan option, and serves a variety of local ales.
    The Globe
    144 High Street West, Glossop (between Sheffield and Manchester)
    A fair distance out of town but worth a mention for the all-vegan pub grub. Warm up after a hike in the Peaks with a hotpot and a jar from the pub’s own microbrewery.
    The Bohemian Cafe
    53 Chesterfield Road
    They serve fish and now other animals, but there’s a good choice of veggie and vegan options. Tasty food and reasonably priced.
    Al-Zahir
    30 Carlisle Street
    Cheap, vegan friendly restaurant with traditional Lebanese dishes. Share some mezze-style dishes with friends or try the falafel wrap for £3.
    Heeley City Farm
    Richards Road, Heeley
    Open 10am-4pm every day, serving affordable vegan and veggie food, often including organic vegetables grown on site.
    Shops

New Roots
    347 Glossop Road
    Health food shop selling vegetarian and vegan snacks, wholefoods, fruit and vegetables, organic products, fair trade, and more. Volunteer operated, non-profit organization. There’s a room downstairs to hang out in and eat your snacks.
    New Roots Burngreave
    Sister shop of New Roots on Glossop Road.
    Beanies Wholefoods
    205-207 Crookes Valley Road
    Workers co-operative shop, up a (steep!) hill from the University of Sheffield. All vegetarian, and vegan friendly.
    Down to Earth Food
    406 Sharrow Vale Road
    Workers cooperative wholefood store selling fair trade, veg*n and organic products.
    Heeley City Farm Shop
    Richards Road, Heeley
    City farm shop selling organic veggies, snacks, some fairtrade products and fresh herbs.
    Lembas
    Unit 5, The Old Tannery, Whiting Street
    Wholesale shop selling an amazing range of wholefoods and vegan goodies. You haven’t lived until you’ve been.
    Zed on the Edge
    3 Nether Edge Rd
    Wholefood shop selling fair trade, veg*n, organic food and products.
    In a Nutshell
    31 Chesterfield Road
    Small wholefood shop selling fair trade and veg*n products.
    Hobbleton Wholefoods
    43 Middlewood Road, Hillsborough
    Small, family run wholefood shop selling fair trade, eco cleaning products and veg*n food lines.
    Lejurra
    251-253 Glossop Road
    Shop selling organic/eco/natural gifts, vegan cosmetics/skincare, eco friendly homewares and eco baby products.
    Guat Shoes
    221 School Road, Crookes
    Shop selling handmade footwear with most styles available made with vegan suitable materials.

...Also it'd be worth while going through the new online 'Veggies Directory' to find many vegan/vegan friendly restaurants and shops etc to add to the map (you'd have to weed out the online businesses on there though!) http://www.veggies.org.uk/directory/

Errr, me again! I forgot this restaurant in Sheffield as well:
    East & West
    227 Abbydale Road
    Cheap, vegan friendly south Indian and Sri Lanken restaurant, from the outside it looks like a take away but you can dine inside. It is rather compact though!

Thank you very much indeed Maelstrom I have added all your links, and deleted kumquats. I shall have a look round www.veggies.org.uk too, when i get time. It looks like the Sheffield area is quiet a good place to be for vegans

Thanks again xx

Hi no problem! Sheffield's alright, I have a comprehensive list as I was updating the Sheffield Animal Friends website, got details of another place that I'd forgotten about previously here as well: ">http://www.felicini.co.uk/branches.asp?branchID=25"> Felicini, 521 - 523 Ecclesall Rd

Upmarket eatery in the cosmopolitan Ecclesall Road area, has a full seperate vegan menu which is an adaption of their standard menu if requested.

I'm not sure if you'll be wanting to list these as well, but here is some more info on pubs that are good for vegans in the Sheffield area, as they're all Sam Smiths brewery owned so all the beer they sell is suitable for vegans, as well as only selling their own independent soft drinks: ">http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=sam+smiths+pubs&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=sam+smiths+pubs& hnear=Sheffield&view=text&ei=zEUlTNeVLoPw0gTm4dC8B A&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=4&ved=0CDIQtQMwAw">

Also the best place to find vegan eateries and such in Nottingham is by going on the vegan Nottingham website, not the Veggies site as I said before (search for 'Vegan Nottingham Guide' and it will come up, I'd post the link but am wary of posting too many links in posts in case I fall foul of forum policies, and to cut and paste all the info would lead to a very long post indeed!)
    Cheers.