Thread: Do you think animals can tell?

Default Do you think animals can tell?

For some reason animals will just come up to me...And I here a lot of "I can't believe he/she is letting you pet them", "Wow, they never just come up to strangers", etc. I laugh and jokingly say "Well...they know I won't eat them".

My question is...Is it feasible that my response is not far from the truth? Do you think animals can have a sense built in that lets them know if there is a predator? Maybe a sense of smell that can detect if you're a flesh eater?

Or...is this just a stupid question?

~Rob~

Default Re: Do you think animals can tell?

Hello - we had a discussion of this a while ago which amazingly I've managed to find:

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23776

Did animals not like you as much when you used to eat meat etc - or didn't you ever eat it?

FWIW animals don't come up to me particularly - I get on quite well with certain types that I'm used to though, mainly cats. Of course cats probably wouldn't be expecting to be eaten anyway

Animals have always done that with me even when I did eat meat etc. So I don't know, maybe it's more that your attitude has changed?

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:04 AM.

I don't think animals can tell at all.

Perhaps, what occasionally can happen is that some people might smell better (ie. no rotting smell coming out through the pores), but that wouldn't apply to all vegans or all human flesh eaters. What I think *really* happens is that we humans see a pattern where no pattern exists at all. Seeing patterns is what our brains evolved to do, and we do it very well.
    context is everything

I believe that some non-human animals could have the ability to tell when someone is a kind person who also loves non-human animals, but no more than us human animals might have concerning the same. Many human animals can feel instant "karma" with another human animal. I have felt it a few times in my life, so I don't right off the same ability when it comes to non-human animals. They are too much like us.
    All about the animals, Lucia

leedsveg

Hi VeganLu

I've missed you and I'm glad you're back!

leedsveg

Thanks Leedsveg. I'm touched. I never meant to stay away so long, but I was still with you and the forum each and every day.

Quote VeganLu View Post
    I believe that some non-human animals could have the ability to tell when someone is a kind person who also loves non-human animals, but no more than us human animals might have concerning the same. Many human animals can feel instant "karma" with another human animal. I have felt it a few times in my life, so I don't right off the same ability when it comes to non-human animals. They are too much like us.
    I like Karma...Good answer, why couldn't another species sense it? I know the human race, as a whole, feels far superior to any other living thing whether they understand it or not. Sure, we have "science" that may prove our reasoning, but is "our" reasoning correct? I find that I am amazed at some earthlings, standing awestruck by their capabilities and power. Sure their are those who have dissected and studied to find out how certain species: change color, jump so high and far, breath underwater, etc...and we can give a scientific reason to fit our understanding of things...but...is our understanding of things correct? So yeah, I think some species do have a "sense" of some sort, an ability to detect whether or not another living thing is threatening... And I think Karma is a great word to use.

Yeah, Dzrtrat, our scientific reasoning about humans being the greatest of all gets me too. What about the physical abilities that non-human animals have that humans can't even come close to. Besides, us humans have little heads for our bodies, yet from what I have seen, non-human animals are built much more proportionate. I believe that humans are the slowest running animal of all (well, we do only use 2 legs as opposed to 4). I know this discussion belongs somewhere else, so I will return to this thread's subjest. Scientists have "proven" that we are more intelligent than non-human animals and they also swear that non-humans cannot reason, but we all know that non-human animals are intelligent in different ways. I have 4 rescued goats and 19 rescued chickens. Each one of them has a different personality. Of my 4 goats, 2 males and 2 females, one of my males, Simon, is the friendliest when it comes to meeting new people the first time. He goes right over to the person and right away looks right into their face. He also proceeds to untie their shoe laces, but that is another story. Billy, my other male, on the other hand, steps back a little when he sees a new face walking towards him. And the 2 males grew up together since birth. I had the pleasure of bottle feeding them. I also have a couple of hens that immediately befriended me and allowed me to touch them and pick them up, yet there are the others happy just keeping some distance between me and them. Is some of these examples "karma"? Maybe so. It most certainly shows that non-human animals can have an instant likeness for certain humans. I firmly believe that some humans have instant karma with another human, and the same goes for non-human animals as well. And what about all of the stories about cats having a sixth sense (or whatever it is called) and have saved their guardians from being harmed because they sensed that something was going to happen? Cats also favor certain people over other people immediately. Is it Karma or just a special gift that they have?

Great story Lucia...It's funny how your rescued companions, although being the same, are different...HHhhhmmmm I wonder if science can tell us why they have diffrent personalties..

Quote Dzrtrat View Post
    Great story Lucia...It's funny how your rescued companions, although being the same, are different...HHhhhmmmm I wonder if science can tell us why they have diffrent personalties..
    HHhhhmmmm is right.

My wife says that they know I love them and that's why they all respond to me so well, I think it's because I look and smell like a farm animal.

To Vegan Beast:

You can't say that and not post a picture of yourself, Vegan Beast!

Quote harpy View Post
    You can't say that and not post a picture of yourself, Vegan Beast!
    LOL You asked for it.

animals are brighter than people give them credit for. my cats can tell when i'm upset before any human can (my older cat will come up, meow at me and rub her head over my hand ^_^) so i don't see why they wouldn't detect other feelings like this.

A recurring theme in the buddhist Sutras is the smell of those who eat meat ...

The Buddha said [in the Lankavatara-sutra]

... The meat-eater is ill-smelling, contemptuous and born deprived of intelligence.

He belongs to the lowest class of men.

Bodhisattva Kasyapa asked Buddha, “Lord, why do you not allow the eating of meat?”

Buddha replied,

... Kasyapa, wherever a meat eater lies, sits, or walks other sentient beings become fearful upon smelling him. Blessed son, just as when a man eats garlic others will keep away because of his bad
    smell, likewise, when animals smell the meat eater, they fear death…

I don't actualy agree with that as I don't think that animals make any differentiation twix meat eaters and veg-heads at all, mind.
    All done in the best possible taste ...