Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Holland and Barrett

Default Re: Holland and Barrett

Quote harpy View Post
    I still haven't heard back from H&B incidentally, has anyone else?
    I think we may hear back NOW it has been resolved

True, but it's still a result, probably, isn't it, Firestorm?

Elsewhere I have read some conspiracy theories about competitors putting pressure on H&B not to stock Fry's stuff but I think it's most likely just to be the pricing dispute personally. (ETA or maybe it was something to do with Al Qaeda )

Quote harpy View Post
    True, but it's still a result, probably, isn't it, Firestorm?
    Yes I agree its a result, and I hope that vegans getting involved and emailing H&B had some part of it.
    As soumya68 said, I just hope that the resolution wasn't a case of Frys caving into H&B.

Quote harpy View Post
    (ETA or maybe it was something to do with Al Qaeda )
    Everything else is apparently lol. Wouldn't be surprised if the Lobby for meat spun a media story on Bin Laden being a vegan and made that evil. ;-)

Not real name!

If Frys tale of basically being shafted by H&B is true (and there is no reason for it not to be) is it right to continue to shop there?

Removing the rose-tinted specs for a second what we have is a national chain of stores that exist to make money. They aren't there to further veganism. They aren't particularly ethical. They just happen to stock a few products that we like which, by the way, you usually end up paying for while standing next to their vast selections of muscle milks. Yuck! Would they cave in to vegan pressure? Only if there was money to be made, I'd wager.

I've read on this very forum about why we should avoid supermarkets and I believe that the same can be said of H&B. I'm going to be a little less lazy in future and shop in independent health stores from now on.

I don't know enough about the negotiations or the outcome to want to boycott them, though I might in certain circs.

I think having vegan food available on high streets is likely to make more people eat it so I'm happy to buy some stuff in supermarkets and H&B to encourage them to stock it (though I don't do a high proportion of my food shopping in there). I know other people feel differently, though, because as you say we have a few threads about supermarkets etc.

@ Glenlambert
    You make some really valid points, the problem for me is that independent health food shops also sell quite a lot of non-vegan products, and for me to get to one that sells a range of products comparable to H&B I would have to spend £12 travelling there (which would take 70 mins) and I can't afford that. My local health food shop doesnt even have a fridge

I don't see how we can really judge without knowing figures / percentages?

My local indy health food shop would be a non-existent one.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Our local one was taken over by GNC, who now belong to the same group as H&B

Not real name!

Quote Firestorm View Post
    @ Glenlambert
    You make some really valid points, the problem for me is that independent health food shops also sell quite a lot of non-vegan products,
    ....and H&B don't?

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    ....and H&B don't?
    Of course they do, I just think that its important to remember that all health food shops be them independent or H&B exist to make a profit.

I'd rather support vegan products in a national chain where they'll be made available nation wide than support it in a local store where it'll only benefit me and a few others locally.

Not real name!

Of course they do, I just think that its important to remember that all health food shops be them independent or H&B exist to make a profit.
    Absolutely although it'd be better to spend your hard-earned in an independent shop rather than with the Starbucks of the health food world.

Absolutely although it'd be better to spend your hard-earned in an independent shop rather than with the Starbucks of the health food world.
    Yes I do agree, and I do try and support smaller independent shops when I can, but at the moment I'm ashamed to say that I cant afford to.
    For me H&B are local, convenient and more ethical than supermarkets (I can get Redwood slices cheaper in Morrisons, but I choose to get the in H&B because I would rather give them the money than a supermarket)

cobweb

hmm, I used to work at at a nice little independant health food store, didn't sell very much atall that wasn't vegan..........but it was owned by a meat-eater whose partner is a therapist who PROMOTES meat and fish consumption. It's really hard to find anything totally ethical.

What we could do with is a charity that sells Vegan food (maybe Animal aid could extend their range) then all profits would benefit animals

cobweb

yes that'd be great.

They have updated the website recently - you can have a permanent login now, like a proper online shop....maybe there is something in the pipeline

Just got a nice email from Beanies:
    "
    Just to let you know that positive negotiations with Holland & Barrett started again yesterday morning and they are going to re-stock the FRY’S range (with the possibility that they might take all 14 products – they previously didn’t stock the Braai Sausages or Vegetarian Mince). Please keep an eye on the freezer in your local H&B and you may see FRY’S in there soon – we are expecting an order today which will be at their central depot next Wednesday but it will take a bit longer for the shops to be re-stocked.

Once again, thanks for your enthusiasm for our FRY’S products - we think overwhelming public support had much to do with H&B’s decision!

If you have any further comments or queries, please feel free to contact me directly……

Very best wishes,
    Lisa"

Gosh! It's all been go! Good to hear that Frys will be stocked in H&B again. I can't really add anything else as it's all been discussed on here. Loads of good points and ideas. Now, let us all have a big Fry(s) Up!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote Risker View Post
    I'd rather support vegan products in a national chain where they'll be made available nation wide than support it in a local store where it'll only benefit me and a few others locally.
    Whist you have a good point, I respectfully disagree with this. Independent stores operate to provide a service to the local community and earn the shop keepers a living. A national chain exists for profit, therefore cutting costs which control the suppliers to a point where they make losses. Also national chains become monopolies which restrict consumer choice. Which is why I personally believe shopping in independent stores is better than shopping in national chains.

cobweb

I went into H&B this morning, they have dairy free buttons for 95p a pack - 42p in the supermarkets!!!!

leedsveg

In view of where Frys products are made, I've sometimes wondered if any Frys employees have ancestors who were at Rorkes Drift.

Glad the disagreement with H&B seems to be resolved.

Leedsveg

I probably would use a local wholefood store if there was one, but I am slightly cynical about the moral superiority of small independent shops and organisations, having seen some that I used to like expand, and then become (or sell out to) large, not particularly ethical, ones.

What I do like to support is co-op type organisations (small and large) as I feel they sometimes have more ethical safeguards in place.

Quote cobweb View Post
    I went into H&B this morning, they have dairy free buttons for 95p a pack - 42p in the supermarkets!!!!
    I've just found tins of Granovita pate (Shiitake, Vegetable and Olive) in Aldi for 79p, they are about £1.3 in H&B.

Off to walk up to the Aldi up the road tonight! Thanks Firestorm

cobweb

I've just found tins of Granovita pate (Shiitake, Vegetable and Olive) in Aldi for 79p, they are about £1.3 in H&B.
    bollox, I bought one of them in H&B today!.

I'm glad they will be stocking them again - I do if I can shop at smaller independant health stores but as I don't drive if I get frozen items from these then it's an hour from the shop to my freezer - H&B is a 10 min walk to work where I can store items in a freezer until I get a lift 3 miles home so the products keep better.

I am not popular this week as I brought 2 packs of wok strips, 2 sausages and 2 burger packs and squeezed them in a freezer that was too full to begin with, they will last me all summer now.

leedsveg

Quote cobweb View Post
    Only 41p in my local Tesco, Cobbers. Tesco also have the 3 x 250ml cartons of Alpro chocolate flavour soya milk for 85p.

lv

Not real name!

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Only 41p in my local Tesco, Cobbers. Tesco also have the 3 x 250ml cartons of Alpro chocolate flavour soya milk for 85p.

lv
    I know where I'll be going post-run tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

cobweb

*off-topic*
    I went into Tesco once and bought 3 three-packs of Alpro choccy milk and they scanned up as the price for an individual carton for each three-pack. Result!.

Quote cobweb View Post
    *off-topic*
    I went into Tesco once and bought 3 three-packs of Alpro choccy milk and they scanned up as the price for an individual carton for each three-pack. Result!.
    I went to Asda the other day and they forgot to scan my Freedom ice cream (should have been £4.00)!!

cobweb

free vegan food, yay!

Still off-topic - bought ourselves 6 tins of Granovita. 2 of each kind. Oh yes. All is good. Aldi won that battle.

Quote pusskins View Post
    Still off-topic - bought ourselves 6 tins of Granovita. 2 of each kind. Oh yes. All is good. Aldi won that battle.
    I forgot to post yesterday, they also have these 6 packs of hot crisps (Garlic & Chilli, Lemon & something else) and they are all vegan!!!

leedsveg

Went in to my local H&B this morning and hardly any Fry's products in stock. I hope that this is because of the recent hiccup and that normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Bought, and have just eaten, a Redwood 'Wot No Dairy?' black cherry dessert. Ok but I wouldn't go mad about it. For 69p, I expected better. Tastewise, reminded me of the Granovita/Granose? yoghurts H&B used to sell for about 38p, I last saw them in Asda maybe a year ago. Asda's own brand of non-dairy yoghurts are a lot tastier and are £1 for x 4.

No hint of any impending 'BOGOF' type offers in H&B, I'm wondering if these have been discontinued and in future, they'll just be offering enhanced reward points?

Came out of H&B and went into 'Out Of This World' which had loads of vegan stuff, all very expensive (which is why I went to H&B first where I could get my "Veg*n Soc 10% discount"). Just wish H&B had the same wide range of products.

Leedsveg

I tried one of those black cherry things yesterday as well and the first thing I thought was - It tastes like granovita Soyage but a bit nicer, I think I will stick with Alpro or Organic Sojade yogurts. Although I think the "Wot not Dairy" would be good for things like picnics with them being ambient.

I've read on this very forum about why we should avoid supermarkets and I believe that the same can be said of H&B. I'm going to be a little less lazy in future and shop in independent health stores from now on.
    What if we don't have an independent health store though?! I wish there were more ethical shops! Luckily, we have one Ethical Shop (100% vegan) but I'm not sure if Manchester has any ethical independent stores. *stress*

Reading back I supposed I'm blessed to have a 100% vegan shop to my disposal!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Dont stress there is the 8th day Coop (http://www.eighth-day.co.uk/). The site doesnt seem to be working at the moment, but they are fantastic, I sometimes travel there from Lancs to stock up as they have a great range of vegan food.
    There is also unicorn grocery (http://www.unicorn-grocery.co.uk/), I think they are a completely vegan supermarket.

Thanks
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

leedsveg

I tried one of those black cherry things yesterday as well and the first thing I thought was - It tastes like granovita Soyage but a bit nicer, I think I will stick with Alpro or Organic Sojade yogurts. Although I think the "Wot not Dairy" would be good for things like picnics with them being ambient.
    The "Wot No Dairy" pots would be ok for anybody worried about having (too much) soya as they're made from pea protein. Also, as you say Firestorm, they can be stored at ambient temperature. Plamil made, I think, a couple of flavoured desserts from pea protein maybe 15 years ago and I quite enjoyed them. They were thicker than the Redwood pots having a jelly-like consistency. Unfortunately they were discontinued, as was the 'pea milk' that Plamil had produced as concentrate and normal!

lv

cobweb

oh I can't stomach pea protein, will stay away from those desserts then!

Do they have calcium/B12/VD in?

As far as I can see they are not fortified with anything, dont get me wrong they taste OK but I think fresh soy yogurts beat them hands down.
    They would be good if your out shopping and want a quick semi-healthy snack, but it would mean carrying a spoon with you everywhere that you go!

Shame they are not fortified as I'm trying to reduce my soy intake!

Well, the situation is now resolved but I got a reply from H&B today:

Dear *****
    Thank you for your email.
    I am sorry to learn of your concerns regarding the discontinuation of Fry's Vegetarian & Vegan Frozen foods and thank you for your feedback regarding this matter.
    As a business Holland & Barrett are committed to the needs of our customers and we are aware that there is a strong customer support base for this range. It is for this reason that our Buying Team have continued to work in close consultation with the Fry's brand. Following these discussions I am delighted to advise you that a new enhanced partnership agreement has been made.
    This new partnership agreement will enhance consumer choice through the addition of new product lines and increased promotions in store. From May 2011 three hundred Holland & Barrett stores will now stock the full frozen vegan & vegetarian range from Fry's and all stores with freezer facilities will stock at least eight of the core Fry's lines. In addition to this our customers will be able to take advantage of a range of promotions on this line in the coming months.
    As a business we are delighted to be able to bring the benefits of this enhanced partnership to our customers and we hope that you will take the time to visit our stores once again to take advantage of this in the near future

Yours sincerely
    Lin Pearson
    Customer Service Team.
    NBTY Europe.
    The home of Holland & Barrett, GNC, Julian Graves, Nature's Way and De Tuinen.

^^ I got the same email this morning, but from someone called Ruth. It took them long enough!!

@ *witchymagic*, how are you finding reducing your soya intake, I'm trying to do 1 soya free day a week (and hopefully 1 raw soon as well).

Heh heh - they probably had a meeting on Friday. "Right, you lot! We're going crack through these emails from the vegan mafia in the UK!"

Not real name!

Will they be storing the enhanced range of Frys products in the working or non-working freezers?

They have working freezers? Since when?!