View Poll Results: Have you ever had a B12 deficiency caused by your diet?

Voters
261. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, according to my bloodtests, but didn't have any symptoms

7 2.68%
  • Yes, with mild symptoms that was treated with B12

12 4.60%
  • Yes, with serious health problems that could be cured

5 1.92%
  • Yes, with serious, non-curable symtoms (eg. neurological damage)

1 0.38%
  • Yes, during pregnany, with birth defects as a result

0 0%
  • No / I don't think so / not tested

153 58.62%
  • No, not according to my blood tests

51 19.54%
  • No, not according to my blood tests that also included MMA amd homocysteine tests

7 2.68%
  • No, but one or more of my meat eating friends have had B-12 defiency

14 5.36%
  • Yes, before I became a vegan

5 1.92%
  • Yes, but this may be a result of my B12 / health conditions before I became a vegan

3 1.15%
  • My B12 levels are in the low normal range, but that doesn't worry me much

3 1.15%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: B12 deficiency: case stories wanted

Default B12 deficiency: case stories wanted

Quote Hemlock View Post
    I have never personally seen a vegetarian/vegan sufferer in over 20 years in the medical profession.
    I had my first B12 test in 2001, but don't know the exact detail, only so much to say that the King's College Researcher phoned to say it was at an okay level- after 5 year's of veganism, including about 2 in those last years of rawfoodism (90%+)

I believe since then my general count has been low, and possibly lowering, in a delicate balance, with all too limited financial ability to control my own nutritional experimentation; with the wealth of benefits that raw food can bring, and additional superfoods.

During the last 6 months my larder has been scarce of food and my toenails began to show signs of stress, and trauma - whether one tries to understand the stress in my life or not, clearly food has it's place in my overall satisfaction. One toe nail, flaked away in layers, and another has shown signs of only soft and crumbling growth.

Recently I broke my wrist, the first break I have ever experienced, and chose to have my blood tested. Here the results show low readings for B12 and Calcium. With B12, 106pg/mL (197-866 the recommended range) and with Plasma level Ca, at 2.09 mmol/L (2.15-2.55) and my guess could be that the break is requiring more Ca, from my blood to heal the bone.

Consistent with symptoms of dissiness on standing up occasionally - i believe this is the most important and written in ink, so beware, small number of grey hair, although i am 42 today it should not be an excuse really, and yes some poor circulation at times. I believe that despite a health mostly raw vegan diet (and absolutely no supplements, for all the time I have been vegan,) there has been a steady depletion of B12, which might not have been as pronounced, as if I had the resources to test myself against more luxury superfoods etc.

I felt willing enough to take the challenge of trying on a low budget, and afterall supplements are not cheap either. I now take 1x1000ug tabs daily, (rec. methylcobalamin, Not cyanocobalamin) of 'B12' and immediately noticed improvements in proprioception, maybe less poor circulation, possible greater mental clarity- although a possible placebo effect in the last month with the latter... and will repeat the blood test at the end of this month.

Questions were raised as to whether my intake of B12 is absorbed, something that could prevent many people from getting the benefits of supplements, or the right food, for which the latter I tend to believe will never produce a definitive answer for all, since I follow the blood group diet, and believe we thrive on different foods to each other.

When I get the results in June I'll put them here, and the GP has offered an absorbtion test as well, I strongly suggest Vegans and Veggies to request of their GP surgery B12 testing, and not feel embarrassed about it. This way we ourselves might produce the evidence needed without the continued prejudices, and serve the aims of medecine with a display of human, non-animal testing. E.g. With other diseases and lifestyles, if you have sex with many partners let's say, you should have STD tests, right and get them no questions asked, so what, just take up these responsibilities then, and show the public at large how to take charge of your life.

As it stands, it appears most important to establish how well my body can absorb B12 by the standards of the current scientific testing. More in a month.

Default Re: B12 deficiency: case stories wanted

I have been having Natex from about two weeks ago and my hair is looking less greasy from about a week ago. I have probably only washed it twice in two years, haven't taken a B12 supplement in years and probably haven't had any other B12 fortified food for years either.

Natex-what's that, I think I might of heard of it, is it like veggiemite, saw it in health food shop i think. Has it got Niacin- is that why they use the name?

I heard from a hairdresser that Niacin, is good for baldness, which i suffered from since, about 4 years before, I became vegan. Could it be to do with the predisposition and growing mentality and final change to a veggie diet- in terms of B12, or just a change in protein intake. Either way I feel skint!!

Natex I guess has the same ingredients almost and tastes like marmite. It's not in the home I'm in at the moment and a long way away from to see if it has Niacin in it! Just found this: http://www.squidoo.com/prevent-hair-loss-vitamins

2 months taking 1000ug Vitamin B12 'timed release' Holland and Barrett (100caps bottle @£8.50) one-a-day {these are not the ideal, ones but the cyanocobalamin type but I've found a place where I can get the better ones at £9} and I now have real results, with no significant change to my 90% plus, raw food vegan diet.

B12/FOLATE LEVEL (with 12 hours fast) 499pg/ml (rec. range 197-866)

I had a second test the prev. wk w/o fasting and the reading was 535pg/ml

I sit right in the middle of the recommended range, and feel much happier, and have experienced none of the symptoms, however minor, as I had before. Cost- just 8 1/2 pence a day. I simple remedy from the 106pg/ml level I had fallen to.

My result for calcium was also slightly higher, although still very close to the low level. My Mg 0.88mmol/L (safe betw. 0.65-1.05) and blood sugar 4.7 mmol/L (safe 3.2-6.0)

I have just been to the doctors last monday with my tongue(it was a strange shape and burned and stinged)and to my horror I am vitamin B dificiant! (B complex not just B12)she asked if I ate enough fruit and veg,so i said 'I should do Im vegan' she didnt immediatly jumped down my throat with the whole vegan bad for you thing like I thought she would,she actually said 'that in that case Im a little suprised as the vegan diet is usually quite healthy!' when I actually sat and thought about what I was eating over the last few months,it has been fairly unhealthy junk,fast food(ive been extrememly busy and stressed)and have drank more acohol than normal,this my doc says was 'the problem and happens to most people whether they be meat eater,vegetarians or vegans.'she prescribed me with some strong vitiman B complex tablets(suitable for vegans)suggested I keep an eye on what Im eating and cut the alcohol down and even though its not even a week yet my tongue is much better.
    So in my case at least....not all doctors are useless
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

Default Re: B12 deficiency - how long to put right

Recently I've also begun experiencing the common symptoms of B12 deficiency, so I have started taking Seven Seas Vegan multivits & minerals, and am also going to start taking the 100μg tablets from Holland & Barrett until I'm back on track! I'd never really considered this a problem before because I guess I was still running on the B12 stored up from my omni years. I don't feel any shame in this, and would certainly not worry about omnis know - it's something they should be prepared for should they ever decide to try veganism themselves

Bob & Jenna Torres put this really well in their book 'Vegan Freak':

"At some point, you're apt to hear the plaintive cry that 'if humans were meant to be vegan, then why do they have to take B12 supplements?' All animals have bacteria in their digestive system that produce B12, but humans can't absorb it very well. Omnivores get their B12 through eating other animals. In the past we could also get B12 from plant sources because the bacteria in the soil could also produce B12. As a result, eating produce that came from the soil would give you the nutrient. Today's agricultural practices, however, have basically killed the soil with chemicals - it isn't healthy enough to sustain the microorganisms that would produce B12 - and all produce is cleaned thoroughly of soil residue. Therefore, it is wise (especially if you don't use enriched soymilk or cereals) to take a supplement every now and then."

Now, I think that if we truly want to do proud service to the animals we are being compassionate towards, and just to ourselves - and also to make sure veganism keeps its well deserved good name amongst health enthusiasts - that we should keep ourselves well-nourished. There is nothing unnatural about taking B12 supplements. In effect, this is all omnis are doing by eating other animals!
    Last edited by Korn; Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: This and the following post was moved from another thread

Default Re: B12 deficiency - how long to put right

As a little update to this, I actually got the 1000μg ones, the 'timed release' type. I did a little reading and they seem the best to try and put things right at first.

I've been having shortness of breath, tingly fingers and toes and migraines. I'll keep updating on my progress, this is day 2 of taking them
    http://keepupwithjones.tumblr.com

pavotrouge

Default Re: Have you ever had a B12 deficiency caused by your diet?

have you been diagnosed with lack of B12? If not, it's rather dangerous to just start medicating yourself because you feel you have symptoms of B12 lack. Might be something totally different- or you could be one of the people who don't absorb B12 well, in which case pills won't help you.

I have been diagnosed, yes. I suspected based on the symptoms and went to see a doctor late last week, who confirmed that what I had been feeling was true.

No, I've been vegan for 10 years and I've been tested twice over the past few years and my results came back normal as were my mineral levels which were all high

Quote stephen View Post
    I have been diagnosed, yes. I suspected based on the symptoms and went to see a doctor late last week, who confirmed that what I had been feeling was true.
    Pardon my curiosity, but how was the diagnosis made? I'm asking because doctors are often guessing (which pretty much is what people do when they are making their own self-diagnosis). Some doctors simply assume that if you are a vegan, you lack B12, although many of the symptoms of B12 deficiency (eg. tingling fingers) overlap symptoms of other issues. Then there's the myth that all people who go vegan have high B12 levels, which they can keep relying on for months/years (even if they have no B12 intake), while studies show that circa 40% of all non-vegans have low B12 levels. And of course, there's the aspect of people who would have had enough B12 in their bodies to rely on for years, if it wasn't for their "B12 unfriendly" lifestyle and habits.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Well put Stephen! I totally agree.

Darkangel. It is more important to take vitD for osteoporosis then calcium.
    You should really read about it. Most people have a lack of vit D and it causes osteoporosis.
    Further more I strongly believe that every vegan that doesn't take B12 is taking a dangerous and unnecessary risk.

I had low B12 when I was a vegetarian and Not when I was a vegan. I supplement every day.
    Also I would like to say that if you have absoption problems: shots are easy. You do not necessarily have to put them in the muscle. You can learn to easily give yourself shots under the skin.

Quote stephen View Post

Bob & Jenna Torres put this really well in their book 'Vegan Freak':

"At some point, you're apt to hear the plaintive cry that 'if humans were meant to be vegan, then why do they have to take B12 supplements?' All animals have bacteria in their digestive system that produce B12, but humans can't absorb it very well.
    What does this actually mean? That humans can't absorb the B12 manufactured in their digestive system, it's like looking at a very small part of the whole, big and complex B12 issue and somehow suggest that humans, unlike other animals, aren't able to absorb the B12 that's manufactured in their digestive system and suggest that this is the main B12 related "problem" with being vegan. Very misleading, and IMHO it only confirms the old myth that humans (from nature's side) either needs to eat animals or pills to survive. There's no scientific evidence for this.

Omnivores get their B12 through eating other animals.
    What do they mean with omnivores? Probably not carnivores...? If they mean omnivorous humans, that's wrong - both because lots of humans don't get the B12 they need even if they consume a LOT of animal products every day, and lots of humans get B12 - not from eating animals - but by comsuming dairy products. There are also all the threads in this subforum about vegan B12 sources...

to make sure veganism keeps its well deserved good name amongst health enthusiasts
    Due to some of the myths about vegans and B12, veganism does not have such a good name among some (not very well-informed) health enthusiats. If we aren't capable of raising veganism above these old myths, veganism is never going to be widespread.

One way of keeping these myth alive is to indirectly indicate that omnis always have good B12 levels (even so good that they can survive on them for years after going vegan), and that the only way to get B12 is from eating animals. Bob & Jenna Torres' intensions are probably the best - but IMHO this little quote from their book has a very misleading function. It keeps old myths alive, which is worrisome since it seems to be the only thing mentioned about B12 in that book.

There is nothing unnatural about taking B12 supplements. In effect, this is all omnis are doing by eating other animals!
    I have to disagree with you here, since I find it "un-natural" (for humans) both to eat other animals and to have a lifestyle that would rely on pills. We don't need to dive into this, since we already have several threads about the topic, but I'm pretty sure that most people (not knowing that both vegans and non-vegans may need B12 supplements, and why they may need them) will think that a if one diet (omnivorous) requires supplements, and another (vegan) doesn't - the one that requires supplements is un-natural.

Not that 'natural is always good, unnatural is always wrong', but you hopefully know what I mean.

Quote wendy View Post
    Also I would like to say that if you have absoption problems: shots are easy.
    Did you see this thread?

Is oral B12 as effective as intramuscular injections?

Some other, related threads:

Vegan/non-vegan: Does 'natural' matter?

B12: How natural is the vegan diet?
    Last edited by Korn; Aug 25th, 2009 at 09:15 PM.

I gave blood samples, and they were analysed. I don't trust doctors for everything, but I was feeling tingling fingers, shortness of breath, migraines, fatigue and slight chest pains. Then I was told advised to take B12 supplements, and after 4 days I am starting to feel somewhat better.

It seems odd to be fully of the opinion that B12 deficiency isn't a big deal for some vegans, when it does seem to be at least fairly common. There's nothing shameful about it, I just feel daft for neglecting my B12 intake for so long. Now I'm putting right and I'm able to move on with a lifestyle that I'm happy with.

B12 in food from animal sources, or B12 in supplement form - I'm quite satisfied with the choice I've made to continue the lifestyle I love and that I feel is right for myself, the environment and other species

And I'm quite aware that many omnis have low B12 levels too. It's clearly more difficult for vegans to obtain a necessary amount of B12 than omnis though unless they really on fortified foods.

Quote stephen View Post
    I gave blood samples, and they were analysed.
    Again - pardon my curiosity, but you started to take B12 after some reading on Friday, and also saw a doctor late last week who took some tests - did you get the results immediately? Was it B12 tests, MMA, homocysteine? I'm asking because while you may be everything from mis-diagnosed to dramatically B12 deficient, it sounds like it could be another assumption-based statement from your doctor, because real tests (B12, MMA, homocysteine) normally have to be sent away, meaning that it will take some working days (often circa a week) before you get the results. If you started to take B12 on Friday, and already feel better, it's quite likely that you have been/are B12 deficient.

It seems odd to be fully of the opinion that B12 deficiency isn't a big deal for some vegans, when it does seem to be at least fairly common.
    Trying to understand what you mean here.... who is it that is "fully of the opinion that B12 deficiency isn't a big deal for some vegans"? ;-)

B12 in food from animal sources, or B12 in supplement form
    Did you see the B12 in plants? subforum?

As far as I'm aware, the NHS will only specifically test for B12 if your haemoglobin's low or your blood's otherwise abnormal.
    Or if you have symptoms that may indicate B12 deficiency, which is what happened to me. I have had numerous tests to find out why I had such pain and numbness in my hands and a new GP at my surgery decided to do a full blood count as he thought it might be B12 deficiency.

I've had the hand problems on and off for years, since before I became vegan and, sadly, some of the damage appears to be irreversable. I'm on my loading dose of B12 at the moment then more blood tests but I have seen some improvement.

I did say under the skin, not in the muscle

I voted "no/never tested" as I've not been vegan long enough to reasonably require testing or to show any symptoms if I am to ever have such. I'm making an effort to not have it come up.

I've never had a B12 deficiency caused by my vegan diet.... and also when I was on my lacto ovo vegetarian diet before going vegan.

My friend has an iron AND B12 deficiency & she eats meat. Goes to show that it can happen to anyone, regardless of what their diet is.
    Lisa @ http://www.facebook.com/earthsista

tombenarye1234

actually i have a really high b12 levels (on the top of the scale). i eat alot of cornflakes...:P

mmmmmmmmmm cornflakes
    Lisa @ http://www.facebook.com/earthsista

are you serious?? I have started a little excel spreadsheet to calculate all the vits/minerals that I eat per day (sad I know, but i like to keep an eye on what i'm eating now and again) and all I can say is thank goodness the B vitamins are water soluble coz I always go way-way over the RDA on all of them...I find them really easy to eat (no supliments) and I also have trouble keeping my iron down (it's bad to take too much).

tombenarye1234

Quote Daffodil View Post
    are you serious?? I have started a little excel spreadsheet to calculate all the vits/minerals that I eat per day (sad I know, but i like to keep an eye on what i'm eating now and again) and all I can say is thank goodness the B vitamins are water soluble coz I always go way-way over the RDA on all of them...I find them really easy to eat (no supliments) and I also have trouble keeping my iron down (it's bad to take too much).
    really? my iron is also really high. (from all the hummus i eat :P) i thought it was good. =/

Quote tombenarye1234 View Post
    really? my iron is also really high. (from all the hummus i eat :P) i thought it was good. =/

oh no....too much iron is worse than not enough!! look it up on Google. You should have about 15mg per day (as a woman), I always seem to exceed that - I find it hard as all my fav foods are high in iron (mainly green veg and nuts/beans).

have a look at this link: http://vitamins-minerals.suite101.co...on_in_the_diet

and here:
    How much is too much?
    Too much iron can be toxic to the body. It can
    cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or
    constipation. Over a long period of time, too
    much iron in the body can damage the liver. In
    addition, too much iron from supplements can
    reduce the amount of zinc that is absorbed.
    You should not get more than 45 mg of iron
    per day from food and supplements.

edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FY/FY21700.pdf

tombenarye1234

Quote Daffodil View Post
    oh no....too much iron is worse than not enough!! look it up on Google. You should have about 15mg per day (as a woman), I always seem to exceed that - I find it hard as all my fav foods are high in iron (mainly green veg and nuts/beans).

have a look at this link: http://vitamins-minerals.suite101.co...on_in_the_diet
    gee thx

actually i don't really care so much about my health but i'll give it a quick lookup

Quote tombenarye1234 View Post
    gee thx

actually i don't really care so much about my health but i'll give it a quick lookup

???? how can you not?

so you're vegan and care about the animals but not yourself?

tombenarye1234

Quote Daffodil View Post
    ???? how can you not?

so you're vegan and care about the animals but not yourself?
    well...yes XP

Daffodil, according to what I've found out, it's difficult/impossible to increase your B12 levels above the RDA as a vegan without supplementing or eating fortified foods. And fortified foods = supplements.

tombenarye1234 - if you care for animals, the worst thing you probably could do for them is to become an unhealthy vegan, isn't it? That would only lead to people seeing a diet that doesn't include animal products as an unhealthy, unnatural choice..... so please just remain healthy! ;-)

tombenarye1234

Quote Korn View Post
    Daffodil, according to what I've found out, it's difficult/impossible to increase your B12 levels above the RDA as a vegan without supplementing or eating fortified foods. And fortified foods = supplements.

tombenarye1234 - if you care for animals, the worst thing you probably could do for them is to become an unhealthy vegan, isn't it? That would only lead to people seeing a diet that doesn't include animal products as an unhealthy, unnatural choice..... so please just remain healthy! ;-)
    i do blood test every year and everything is perfectly well. if i'll see problems in my annual checkup, i'll change my diet.

actually i think it's even better that way. people see most vegan as 'health fricks'. and they figure if they go vegan, they'll need to take their nutrition very very seriously, and they don't want that.
    i'm a living example that you can be vegan, eat only what you like, and still be healthy.

be vegan, eat only what you like, and still be healthy
    Sure, I'm all for killing the myth about vegans having to rely more on supplements than non-vegans... the truth is probably the opposite. Still, it's important to acknowledge that the levels of B12 are strongly reduced in today's food due to a lot of reasons that has nothing to do with veganism (nutrient depleted soil, not eating fresh food and all that).

Quote Korn View Post

yeah ok i suppose they are... I meant I don't take pills.

Not all B12 deficiencies are detectable in your blood. So I would take a supplement if I were you...

tombenarye1234

wendy: why? i feel perfectly fine... and i get plenty of b12 from cornflakes (a mere 30 gram of cornflakes have 51% of the recommended daily income. and i eat more than 60 grams a day) that's why i've got really high b12 levels...

korn: i'll keep that in mind

So in my case at least....not all doctors are useless [/QUOTE]

I take it all back!!!! some doctors are useless!!!

After weeks of vitamin tabs and major changes in my life style..tongue still not right! Went back to doc's,saw a different doctor....Im not vitamin B dificient at all turns out its something totally different!!
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

Hi

Where do you want case studies posting? Ive been vegan for 24 years and have struggled with B12 deficiency that wasnt initialy diagnosed. I have had breathing problems, anxiety, and recurrent ulcers. I think this isnt so unusal for vegans though. This has been diagnosed with blood samples from doctor.

Interestingly I was also diagnosed with suspected iodine deficiency just after my daughter was born 11 years ago too. This cant be diagnosed with blood tests though.

To my best knowledge, cutting down on alcohol consumption- just stop it. reduced the destruction of B12 in the system

Quote leopd View Post
    To my best knowledge, cutting down on alcohol consumption- just stop it. reduced the destruction of B12 in the system
    But! Is not yeast a good source of B12? I believe a good brew in moderation might actually do you good? A nice pint of cloudy ale anyone?

About my only source of beetwelve for the last twenty years justabout must be that and 'marmite'!
    Last edited by imothepixie; Jan 14th, 2010 at 01:01 AM.

I've yet to speak to someone who's volunteered information about a B12 deficiency of which they're aware. Although, my wife related to me last week that one of her colleagues has been diagnosed with B12 deficiency. Interestingly, the person in question is totally omni with a apparently healthy diet.

gutts

Im quite happy to volunteer about B12 deficieny, if it can help vegans be aware of possible problems that they can encouter in their health so that they take the very easy steps of taking suplements.

For me the health roblems were really scary, I had ulcers once a quarter so that for 4 months of every year I couldnt eat properly (they would eat into the side of my mouth and make sleeping and talking difficult too), my breathing became a real problem so from being someone who was able to race the local funicular up a 1:4 hill during my lunchtimes I became someone who had to pause walking up stairs to catch my breath. This obviously took a while, becasue it took ages to diagnose. But many people give up on being vegan when they have a health implication, but the message needs to be take a suplement, especialy if you are female or you could get ill.
    Last edited by hyfryd; Jan 16th, 2010 at 02:13 PM.

My mother is B12 deficient. She is an omni. She is so ill with it she has shots every three months. It's interesting reading this thread because she was also asked about her alcoholism. My mother has been tee-total her whole life and can't abide the smell of alcohol! But she will not take supplements. I gave up trying to persuade her in the end.

Anyway, I was wondering does anyone know if genetics makes you more prone to a deficiency? If my mother has it, are my chances altered at all? I take a daily supplement anyway, and I am also trying to incorporate the right foods into my daily diet, but I'd still be interested to know. Thanks x
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

helen105281

I am being tested for this amongst other things. The doctor didn't mention it but I thought why they were sticking a needle in me they may as well check my B12 levels too.

Quote Blueberry View Post
    Anyway, I was wondering does anyone know if genetics makes you more prone to a deficiency? If my mother has it, are my chances altered at all?
    I think I have read that some forms of pernicious anaemia (one of the conditions that causes B12 deficiency) do run in families, but others don't. If your mum is seeing a specialist about it perhaps you could get her to ask them whether the type she's got has a hereditary element.

Anyway, I was wondering does anyone know if genetics makes you more prone to a deficiency?
    "...control of the expression of disease with diet counters the belief that genetics determines that we shall get the diseases of our forebears..." Somewhere in this article
    Dr. T. Colin Campbell's: The China Study: Reducing Risk of Disease through a Vegan Diet- 2

the doc explains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvA55xj8iMI

My mother is B12 deficient. She is an omni. She is so ill with it she has shots every three months. It's interesting reading this thread because she was also asked about her alcoholism. My mother has been tee-total her whole life and can't abide the smell of alcohol! But she will not take supplements. I gave up trying to persuade her in the end.

Anyway, I was wondering does anyone know if genetics makes you more prone to a deficiency? If my mother has it, are my chances altered at all? I take a daily supplement anyway, and I am also trying to incorporate the right foods into my daily diet, but I'd still be interested to know. Thanks x
    Hi Blueberry,

I've just been told by my doctor that I am B12 deficient. I have to be tested again in 4 weeks time and in the meantime I am to take B12 supplements.

My mother sufferred from pernicious anaemia, she was a meat eater and also NEVER drank alcohol. I asked the doctor if pernicious anaemia was hereditary and he said it might make it more likely that I would be B12 deficient.

I was tested in 2006 and was found then to have low levels of B12, but a subsequent test said my levels were normal and yet I didn't take any supplements etc that time.

I am a bit worried as I have been feeling the effects of a B12 deficiency lately...........dizziness, tingling in my fingers, confusion, memory problems etc but I don't put this down to my vegan diet. I think I would have had this absorption problem regardless of what I ate.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

That's too bad, Sandra, but now it's been picked up I'm sure you'll get it sorted. Hope the supplements work but if not you can get an injection can't you?

Thanks Harpy, yes he said I might need injections if my next blood tests still show it's low. My mum developed pernicious anaemia when she was in her 50's (as I am now) and had an injection every 3 months for the rest of her life.I am really worried about it, and it didn't help that he kept going on about getting B12 from meat. My mind went blank and I couldn't think of where I actually got it from in my diet. I do use some soya milk and yogurt but not a great deal so I'm hoping that by taking the supplements that will correct the problem.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

The injections don't sound too big a deal if the worst comes to the worst. Your mum got on OK with them did she?

I get some vitamin B12 from my copious consumption of yeast extract but I do try and remember to take a supplement now and then as well. If one has pernicious anaemia though I think one can eat it until one's blue in the face and still not absorb it?