Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: alcohol

Default alcohol

hi everyone! so, i know that most alcohol is not vegan and therefore i avoid it. but what i don't know is...why? what makes it non-vegan? can anyone enlighten me??

Seaside

Default Re: alcohol

You may find the answer here.

thanks very much - that was really helpful!

Default Alcohol intolerance?

Does anyone else suffer from alcohol intolerance - 2 drinks and I'm incoherent! I find organic wine even worse than ordinary and always wake up next day with a stinking headache even after one glass
    We went out on Tuesday to meet some new folks in the pub and I was hoping to make a good impression but 2 drinks later I found that not only did my tongue not work any more but also I was talking complete cr*p.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    Silent but deadly :p

Default Re: Alcohol intolerance?

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Does anyone else suffer from alcohol intolerance - 2 drinks and I'm incoherent! I find organic wine even worse than ordinary and always wake up next day with a stinking headache even after one glass
    We went out on Tuesday to meet some new folks in the pub and I was hoping to make a good impression but 2 drinks later I found that not only did my tongue not work any more but also I was talking complete cr*p.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    My bessie mate Shaz is like this - she gets a migraine if she has just one glass of wine, so of course she doesn't any more, it is just not worth the repercussions for her.

How about just not drinking?

This is the reason that I just don't really drink much at all. Although last night in preparation for the festive season I tried out Eve'ssoy nog and that was delicious....hic..

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    How about just not drinking?
    I did think about this, I had one for nerves then another because after the first I didn't care any more
    Silent but deadly :p

Default vegans and alcohol

I've been vegan for 6 months now and I've noticed that I dont seem to be able to take alcohol aswell i used to.

In the past 15 years i'd only been sick once which was after a particually crazy drinking spree although I did manage to crawl to work the next day.

Since i've been vegan I've been sick twice,felt like death in the morning and its taken me days to get over it.This is after drinking relatively small amounts(less than a bottle of wine).other times i'm ok but often after about half a bottle i've had enough.

Now this is not nesscessillary a bad thing as I probably drank too much before but its still a bit of a pain.I think it might be to do with not eating enough stodge before and during drinking but i'd be interested if anybody out there has had similar experiances.

Bottoms up!

Default Re: vegans and alcohol

I can't say I've noticed any difference.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

iNViZAGoD

I have been on sorta a drinking binge this part in my life and have been Vegan for about a year now. I do not seem to see a change. As with all things with your body make sure you know whats going on. Sometimes when your body changes it hurts a little. Just make sure you know its for the better!!~

I can't take alcohol as well as I used to but I'm not sure it's too do with being vegan, more the passage of time I think, as I've been eating vegan food for 14 or 15 years and it has taken me a while to get this way.

One largeish glass of wine is about my limit these days if I don't want a headache the next morning

It could be because if you have cut a lot of processed foods from your diet then your body isn't so used to chemicals anymore. There are quite a few found in alcohol so it makes you feel worse than if you already had a bunch of chemicals floating around in you. Does that make sense?

Just a theory..

Maybe you're allergic to it

I haven't noticed any difference, and I am on anti-depressants that supposedly makes alcohol more toxic/makes you drunk quicker/whatever.

Don't worry about me, though. My doctor told me it was safe to drink moderately on my pills. A glass of wine or two every now and then (which I like ) shouldn't affect me so much, especially since I can't get drunk easily in the first place.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

is it just when you drink wine that you experience this, or is it any alcohol? i am allergic to a lot of things, and the worst one is sulfites. every wine has sulfites in it to a degree, but some have even more added. with this allergy, i will say...its not so much a feeling sick thing. for me, it causes my asthma to kick in. most of the time to the point where i will be in a really bad way with my breathing for at least one whole day after. i used to be able to drink lots of things before that now i can't. i really believe it's partially because i have tried to stop ingesting anything with any preservative at all in it..being i have reactions to mostly all of them. maybe in some way, your body reacts more harshly to things that it hasnt had in its system for a while? like, a lowered immunity? of course this is just theory, but who knows..
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Looks like its just a me thing and not symptomatic of been vegan.

I ate pretty healthy before going vegan Paranoid Jan, so my diet didn't really have any processed foods in it.I'm just eating more of the foods I ate before to substitute the eggs and dairy.

I hope not Risker!!!

It is other types of alcohol aswell Veggiemaya.My alcohol intake has been pretty regular for the last few years so i'm not sure about allergies.Maybe by not having dairy it has made me more sensitive,dairy products may have blocked something out,also they do say it puts a lining on your stomach.The local health store is doing free allergy testing,maybe its worth getting tested.

Thanks for all the replys.

Quote flips sake View Post
    Looks like its just a me thing and not symptomatic of been vegan.

I ate pretty healthy before going vegan Paranoid Jan, so my diet didn't really have any processed foods in it.I'm just eating more of the foods I ate before to substitute the eggs and dairy.

I hope not Risker!!!

It is other types of alcohol aswell Veggiemaya.My alcohol intake has been pretty regular for the last few years so i'm not sure about allergies.Maybe by not having dairy it has made me more sensitive,dairy products may have blocked something out,also they do say it puts a lining on your stomach.The local health store is doing free allergy testing,maybe its worth getting tested.

Thanks for all the replys.
    It's age catching up with you m8!
    (nothing to do with dairy,i stopped drinking milk when i was about 6,started drinking alcohol when i was about 15 and the hangovers started kicking in when i was about 30,lol)
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

hmmmmm my hangovers are very bad if I get really drunk and this did coincide with becoming vegan about 5 years ago......

however this also happened to coincide with moving out of home, starting university and drinking ridiculous amounts of booze! So might just be that I have increased my tolerance to drinking but am really too small to drink a whole bottle of wine and feel fine afterwards!

ivandurago

I never really noticed any alcohol tolerance change going from vegetarian to vegan, and i don't really remember alcohols effects on me before vegetarianism.

I love beer, so much :P I usually drink a 40oz of Mickeys or Old English most nights lol.

seitan

Quote flips sake View Post
    I've been vegan for 6 months now and I've noticed that I dont seem to be able to take alcohol aswell i used to.
    maybe its just your body saying " i dont need this shit any more!"

Since I've been drinking vegan products only (mostly wine, but sometimes vodka if there is no vegan wine available) not only do I not get headaches, but I can drink more and not feel it.

Very strange ...

I've actually noticed an increase in alcohol tolerance and metabolism since becoming vegan. I'm much more able to process liquor and beer than previous to veganism. And I don't get any hangover symptoms like headaches or nausea like before.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote seitan View Post
    maybe its just your body saying " i dont need this shit any more!"

I would say that if your body is telling you that it can't take as much alcohol as it used to, then listen to it.

I drank alot before being vegan and I drink alot now. My tolerance is low. Two pints of beer and I'm starting to feel it, however it kinda plateaus out at around 8pints. I then go one of two ways - drink myself sober or I get paraletic which doesn't always result in me being sick. Just not being in control of my actions. At which point I jump in a cab home and pass out on the kitchin floor.

I stay drunk for ages, even most of the next day. I don't get hangovers just really bad munchies...but that is probably due to mixing alcohol and weed which because I don't smoke anymore I don't do.

That sounds really bad now I read it but it is litterally not very often I get into that state. For example tonight I'll go oyt and have around 8 beers and then dance it off before home time at 3am
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

If I had a bottle now I'd skull it. I haven't had a drink in 10 years. God I miss it.

Quote treehugga View Post
    If I had a bottle now I'd skull it. I haven't had a drink in 10 years. God I miss it.
    Hahaha,that sounded so heartfelt!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

My only change related with alcohol is that ever since I´ve become a vegan there are some drinks (Baileys, sheridan...) that contain milk that I´ve left for good. Well, I loved their taste but the pleasure I got was a trifle compared with the harm involved with dairy, so I´m proud of my decision.

Quote Roxy View Post

I would say that if your body is telling you that it can't take as much alcohol as it used to, then listen to it.
    And I would say that Roxy is a pretty cluey vegan. To tell the truth, I'd always been under the impression that vegans are more intelligent than omnivores, just by virtue of being vegan. So it comes as a surprise that there are these vegans who drink, drink, drink! Oh well!
    Eve

Uh, I don't think there's a direct correlation for veganism/ intelligence and drinking alcohol... I know doctors who drink alcohol...

RubyDuby

I agree with u ella.

I'm having a hard time finding a link between reasons behind being vegan and reasons behind being a drinker... other than the obvious health reason. For me, the healthier diet is just a bonus.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

trudatman

stodge: N - food that is particularly filling.

paralytic: ADJ - pertaining to or of the nature of paralysis.

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Uh, I don't think there's a direct correlation for veganism/ intelligence and drinking alcohol... I know doctors who drink alcohol...

I think Eve means people who drink to excess. It's obviously not a wise thing to do for health reasons.

Quote Roxy View Post
    I think Eve means people who drink to excess. It's obviously not a wise thing to do for health reasons.
    I'm not vegan for my health, I'm vegan for the animals - not that it matters because I have decided to seriously cut down on my alcohol consumption for three reasons:

1) It causes drama every single week when I am out with my friends.(Our local club is called Edge and we joke that it is Edgestenders) Not with me often but sometimes things get a little out of hand and I'm too fucking old for that shit now.

2) I do not want to be over weight ever in my life - I drink beer!!!

3) I can sometimes go into a state where I seem awake and I talk to people, however I am actually asleep and do not remember anything. On occassions this has happened when engaging in sexual activity which I remember nothing of in the morning. Luckily it is only Emily I am sleeping with, but it isn't fair on her or our relationship.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I have friends who I would catagorise as 'binge drinkers' - they wouldn't though, who say the same thing about doing things they don't remember.
    This came up when I did my cert iv in AOD and we were told there had been a gene discovered in some families, where if the people overindulged they often blanked out- kinda like when some people are give rohies, but the people still function but don't remember much. This doesn't occur with everyone. It's never occured with me -but I don't drink at all now. It's a serious safety risk though.

Quote eve View Post
    To tell the truth, I'd always been under the impression that vegans are more intelligent than omnivores, just by virtue of being vegan.
    To tell the truth, from some peoples posts it sometimes seems there is a correlation between being condescending and being vegan!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote treehugga View Post
    This doesn't occur with everyone. It's never occured with me -but I don't drink at all now. It's a serious safety risk though.
    Just because it has never happened before doesn't mean it won't. The way alcohol affects a person can change for a variety of reasons and over time.
    I know people this has only happened to relatively recently after 20+ years (including myself a few years back - I hadn't even had as much alcohol as usual).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote eve View Post
    vegans are more intelligent than omnivores
    Marrers, there may be a bit more truth in eve's post than you think. Most of us were not born into veganism, we had to be open to the unconventional and able to give it a lot of thought, which needs a certain amount of intelligence. Also, if we are consuming the recommended amount of flax seed, we'll be getting more omega 3 (needed by the brain) than most people.

Either way, it's a shame if we then destroy some of our brain cells by regularly poisoning them with alcohol, perhaps eventually turning genius into "genuos"...

I think most of us would like to believe we are more intelligent than omnis however knowing some of the people I know, I'd say it is an even mixture in both groups. Being open minded has nothing to do with intelligence. Take my little brother for example, he is very open minded but his intelligence is roughly five years behind where it should be at his age.

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    I know doctors who know zilch about nutrition, and so can't see the connection between meat/dairy eating and poor health condition. Somebody once recommended a certain doctor to me when I'd moved to a new town, and I made an appointment but when I walked in, I saw he was morbidly obese and was smoking in his surgery. I thought that if he can't help himself there's no way he can help me, so I didn't bother. Being a doctor is no guarantee of intelligence.

I like Mzee's thoughtful post.
    Eve

Quote eve View Post
    Being a doctor is no guarantee of intelligence.

Likewise though, abusing your body isn't a guarantee of a lack of intelligence.

Zero

Quote Risker View Post
    Likewise though, abusing your body isn't a guarantee of a lack of intelligence.
    I agree, just like eating meat isn't a sign of lacking intelligence, there are some brilliant omnivoure minds out there. So being vegan isn't a sign of higher intelligence it's more a sign of compassion and bothering to look at the abuse of animals and realizing that it's not ok.

well since you think vegans are so much more intelligent, just substitute "vegan" for "doctor" in my previous statement .... I know many vegans that drink alcohol...

It doesn't have anything to do with intelligence in most cases - I'm intelligent enough to know that drinking a lot won't do my health any good, but I choose to ignore this fact because I enjoy drinking socially with my friends, or the alteration in mind state a relaxing glass of wine gives me after work.

Choosing veganism is totally different - I know that choosing to eat meat doesn't only impact my health, it impacts the thing I would be eating! So it's not just a case of choosing enjoyment over health, whereas drinking is that personal. (with obvious exception of alcoholics who may impact others)

Hmm, I don't notice any difference, but I haven't been drinking quite as heavily. I was vegetarian for a long time, and last year, had a few times of pretty strong drinking (putting away half a bottle of vodka plus beer, as well as a time or two of absinthe and 160 proof rum sessions), but have tried to be more healthy lately (even giving up alcohol for Lent... unfortunately I forgot when I made the commitment that St. Patrick's Day was within Lent. It was a painflly sober day. My Irish grandpa would not be pleased ). Though, after going vegan last November, I have had some times of heavy enough drinking, like several shots in an evening, (including some 190 proof vodka), and don't notice a difference. I always have been able to handle it, never blacking out or anything like that.

And I'm with Erfoud. I made some changes to my selection when I wnt vegan. No more Malicbu with milk, or any milk/cream based liquors, and also cut out Krupnik (a honey based liquor), and am happy to change. Krupnik tasted pretty good, and so did Bailey's, but the harm didn't justify the pleasure of the taste. Besides, the vegan nalewki, vodkas, gins and the like here never leave me wanting.

Quote VeganDaze View Post
    It doesn't have anything to do with intelligence in most cases - I'm intelligent enough to know that drinking a lot won't do my health any good, but I choose to ignore this fact because I enjoy drinking socially with my friends, or the alteration in mind state a relaxing glass of wine gives me after work.

Choosing veganism is totally different - I know that choosing to eat meat doesn't only impact my health, it impacts the thing I would be eating! So it's not just a case of choosing enjoyment over health, whereas drinking is that personal. (with obvious exception of alcoholics who may impact others)
    Well, I do think that drinking to excess isn't exactly a sign of low intelligence, though I think that binging is reckless. I know, I have drank a lot, but I am cutting down, and don't drink heavily but on rare occasions, and even then am more careful (side note: being able to handle alcohol doesn't mean it's not affecting you. I could drink more than 1/4 liter of vodka in an evening and not get sick or pass out, but I'm sure it'd play havoc on my liver). Though,moderate drinking does apparently have a positive affect on health, so a little bit, like a shot of hard booze, glass of wine or beer, every day isn't a bad thing.

And I agree that veganism isn't a health thing, but an ethical choice. Well, personal health (I don't avoid animal products for my health; I do it for the animals' health).

sugarmouse

I havent noticed a difference but then I have always been *almost* vegan since I went vegetarian never much into dairy and that was aged 11...lol I didnt start that early.
    sometimes the body jsut ges through changes with age...I dont think its a bad thing in this case.
    Tis when you get more tolerant to alcohol you need worry!
    *hiccup*

Yeah, drinking can be wreckless, but its really only the persons health if they're not driving or beating up people...

Its interesting about treehugga's comment on blacking out, though. I suppose it can happen to anyone but those people with the gene are only more likely to blackout?

Default alcohol

i was in sainsbury yesturday looking for vegan alcohol as i like cider i looked there first i found 2 vegan ones so that was good then man who worked there come to me said you ok i said yes thanks im just looking for vegan ciders and he went vegan ?? and looked at me like i had 3 heads
    anyway that got me thinking i never go out drinking but if i did what are if any lagers ect that i can drink that are actually vegan does anyone know of any thank you

Hey I can't help much as I'm more of a wine girl but check out this thread: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105