Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: chain restaurant vegan items (USA & Canada)

Default Re: chain restaurant vegan items

You can go on the Panera bread site and click on any menu item (you have to individually click on each item) to see what the ingredients are at:

http://www.panerabread.com/menu.aspx

So far I've noticed that about half the bagels are OK (some have milk or honey in them), over half the breads are OK (all the "Artisian" ones seem OK except the 3 cheese one), and the low-fat vegetarian soups seem OK (but not the non low-fat vegetarian as they have cream/milk/butter). I think you could get a portabella sandwich with carmelized onion, but you'd have to do without the cheese and have it put on one of the vegan breads (as the bread it normally comes on is not vegan). As far as I can tell, none of the pastries & sweets (i.e., bear claws, muffins, etc) are vegan, as they all have eggs, milk, and/or honey. The Garden veggie sandwich has a cucumber dressing that contains buttermilk solids.
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

I've yet to find a chain restaurant that offers a vegan desert, (other than a fruit plate, of course).

sinister kungfu

Quote vaderesque
    You can go on the Panera bread site and click on any menu item (you have to individually click on each item) to see what the ingredients are at:

http://www.panerabread.com/menu.aspx

So far I've noticed that about half the bagels are OK (some have milk or honey in them), over half the breads are OK (all the "Artisian" ones seem OK except the 3 cheese one), and the low-fat vegetarian soups seem OK (but not the non low-fat vegetarian as they have cream/milk/butter). I think you could get a portabella sandwich with carmelized onion, but you'd have to do without the cheese and have it put on one of the vegan breads (as the bread it normally comes on is not vegan). As far as I can tell, none of the pastries & sweets (i.e., bear claws, muffins, etc) are vegan, as they all have eggs, milk, and/or honey. The Garden veggie sandwich has a cucumber dressing that contains buttermilk solids.
    Just a heads up on Panera, the portabello sandwich (as well as their other hot sandwiches) are pre-grilled (at least during lunch). If you ask for it without cheese it takes them like 20 minutes to prepare instead of the 5 it would normally take so plan accordingly.

Thanks for the "heads up." If I plan on going there, maybe I'll call ahead and see if they'll grill it up for me
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote Roxy
    I've yet to find a chain restaurant that offers a vegan desert, (other than a fruit plate, of course).
    Me either...which is sad because I love desserts

I always look longingly as people order those desserts...I have a sweet tooth the size of china!

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Default A note about Subway

Subway has come up in this thread. It is noteworthy that in Michigan Subway tried to force a nearby vegan cafe out. When Subway Corporate signed their lease they insisted that the landlord could not lease to any business who would be in direct competition. Subway considered the vegan cafe in direct competition and the franchise-holders and Subway Corporate filed a lawsuit. Fortunately, Subway backed down; follow the link at the bottom of the page:

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/subway_vegan.htm

BTW, check out the "catch the turkey" and the cooking-piece-of-meat Chili's add on the Vegsource webpage. That's what happens when websites have to take out adds, folks.

Default Re: A note about Subway

that story pisses me off to no end. i live near grosse pointe and it would be wonderful to have a vegan restaurant. subway sucks. before i went vegan- i loved to eat sub sandwiches, but never from subway. it is a vile place, especially because they make their food sound so fresh in their ads, it's anything but. now it makes me hate subway even more

The last time I got a veggie sub from subway (or tried to I should say) I left...
    They didn't change their gloves after making a meat/cheese nasty...and the lady was all rude about it when I asked her to stop, change her gloves and get me new bread.
    grr.
    And for some strange reason I am craving a baked potato. If I can scrounge up a dollar I think it's time to head to Wendy's after work and get a plain one before heading to rehearsal.
    ~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Quote mophoto
    that story pisses me off to no end. i live near grosse pointe and it would be wonderful to have a vegan restaurant. subway sucks.
    I'm not sure but the vegan cafe should still be there.

Does anyone know which bagels at Manhattan Bagel are vegan? I hope the sun-dried tomato ones are because they are the bomb!

Cheers,
    rant

I ate at Ruby Tuesday's a couple weeks ago and got the veggie burger (w/o cheese or mayo), brocoli (w/o the butter sauce), and salad. It was a filling meal and all vegan

Quote rantipole
    Does anyone know which bagels at Manhattan Bagel are vegan? I hope the sun-dried tomato ones are because they are the bomb!

Cheers,
    rant
    Why not contact them and ask, then let us all know:
    http://216.58.161.109/manhattan/inde...ContactUs.Main

Quote vaderesque
    I ate at Ruby Tuesday's a couple weeks ago and got the veggie burger (w/o cheese or mayo), brocoli (w/o the butter sauce), and salad. It was a filling meal and all vegan
    When in Florida a couple of years ago I had the Soya Burger at Ruby Tuesdays. Is that the Vegan one? It was the best thing I had the whole holiday!

I'm not sure, it probably is...

Try Asian places. There's one near here that has To-Die-For garlic stir-fried tofu over mixed veggies.

Quote vaderesque
    Why not contact them and ask, then let us all know:
    http://216.58.161.109/manhattan/inde...ContactUs.Main
    I sent them an email and am waiting to hear back. I will let you all know what I find out. I'm not sure how far out of the NY/NJ area Manhattan Bagels gets, but there are a number of them in my area.

Cheers,
    rant

Quote Morna
    Try Asian places. There's one near here that has To-Die-For garlic stir-fried tofu over mixed veggies.
    I have frequented Asian places with varying degrees of success. One of my favorite places near my parents' house was willing to work with me, though I was shocked to find that ALL of their "vegetarian" foods--including those with "garlic" sauce--had either chicken broth or fish sauce in them. Like I said, they worked with me and left those out of my meals once I asked, but I'm glad for this message board or I wouldn't have thought to ask! Another Chinese restaurant I asked said that their vegetarian dishes had chicken broth in it and that "vegetarians" told them that was OK. They wouldn't even work with me as she said that "it wouldn't taste good" without it. Another Thai place gave me a dish with watered-down soy sauce that was really gross.

Talking Re: chain restaurant vegan items

im not much of a chain food eater, i dont know if i would even drink the water at most chain reastaurants.

but yesterday my roommate really wanted to order pizza, and it didnt sound like the most horrible thing in the world....(i was real hungry)

so i did some research online...

pappa johns pizza is a good option for vegans.... crust and sauce is vegan & msg free!
    thier faq's page breaks it down pretty good...

http://www.papajohns.com/menu/faq.htm

but they concider lactic acid a non-animal product, because its fermented....(????)

little ceasers was ok also (surprizingly)

http://www.littlecaesars.com/menu/ve...?category=menu

altho i do not like the statment :"Strict vegetarian diets require a little more planning for nutritional adequacy because there may be special conditions - no animal by-products."

who the hell are little caesars to be lecturing us on nutritional adaquacy!?!?!

pizza hut on the other hand just goes right ahead and throws egg, milk, & msg in EVERY thing they make crust & sauce!!

http://www.pizzahut.com/menu/allergen.asp

but they are the only ones to give a complete ingredients list:
    http://www.pizzahut.com/menu/nutriti...ngredients.pdf

in case anyone cares.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote jjdaiquiri
    pizza hut on the other hand just goes right ahead and throws egg, milk, & msg in EVERY thing they make crust & sauce!!

http://www.pizzahut.com/menu/allergen.asp

but they are the only ones to give a complete ingredients list:
    http://www.pizzahut.com/menu/nutriti...ngredients.pdf

in case anyone cares.
    Well, I guess that explains why they never sent me the promised nutritional info...now I know there's no reason for me to ever set foot in a Pizza Hut again.
    I found this on Erik Marcus' website:
    BK Veggie Now Contains Egg Whites (December 13, 2004)
    Burger King has pulled an about-face, reformulating its BK-Veggie patty so that it includes egg whites. With thisin mind, I regret that I will no longer eat the BK-Veggie, and I have written this short article in an effort to tell other vegans about the changed status of this product.

I've read through that pizza hut ingredients list several times, and I'm fairly certain that the thin crust and the pizza sauces are vegan, but all of the thick crusts and breadsticks have whey in them. It's not really worth a trip to the hut, but that info has come in handy for me in a few situations where I've been stuck with a bunch of omnivores who are ordering pizza. Just make sure you order an extra cup of sauce with that cheeseless thin crust veggie pizza, because otherwise it's like eating baked cardboard.

Quote Roxy
    I'd heard somewhere that the turnovers at Arby's are vegan. I looked at the ingredients on their website and sure enough, they appear to be vegan (in Canada too). So if you're stuck at Arby's (god forbid you have to look at their roast beef posters), you can get dessert with your plain broccoli baked potato.

http://www.arbys.com/nutrition/Arbys_US_Nutrition.pdf
    http://www.arbys.com/nutrition/Arbys..._Nutrition.pdf

our Arby's do not have baked potatos! Wendy's does though
    ~Mel

I just looked at the allergen page for Pizza Hut to begin with (as it says all the crusts have milk and/or eggs, as well as the sauce), but you're right that the sauce and thin crust appear to be vegan (I think the taco sauce is too--as the "beef flavoring" seems vegan!?)...thanks for the tip about ordering extra sauce! From looking, obviously the marinara sauce for pasta isn't (it has cheese in it).

Quote sinister kungfu
    Just a heads up on Panera, the portabello sandwich (as well as their other hot sandwiches) are pre-grilled (at least during lunch). If you ask for it without cheese it takes them like 20 minutes to prepare instead of the 5 it would normally take so plan accordingly.
    Well, found out how true this statement was, but they told me it'd be 45 minutes. The guy trying to wait on me was nice, but a female worker next to him quickly cut in with "it'll take at least 45 minutes." Can't say I'll try there again

This info is a couple of years old and I'm going to check it out in the next few days (on the Taco Bell site--going "fresco" apparently means substituting tomatoes/onion/cilantro for cheese), but here's what I've found about Taco Bell:
    Under their vegan heading, they list: Bean Burrito (without cheese), Bean Tostada (without cheese), Mexican Rice (without cheese), Seven Layer Burrito (no sour cream, no cheese), Hot/Mild/Fire Sauce, Fiesta Salsa, Red Sauce, Soft Tortillas, Pizza Sauce, Green Sauce, Guacamole, and Taco Shell.

even if the BK veggie didn't have eggs, it still would be just as nasty - bleh! (note that i once ordered a veggie whopper and they got all snotty and said it was a bk VEGGIE, NOT a whopper - whatever)

dunkin donuts supposedly have soy milk, but i have yet to find one that does, darnit all. i'm usually looked at strangely and told that they have SKIM milk, and is that what i meant?

seriously - why do so many of these places do such crazy things? there is no darned need for there to be chicken fat in salsa!! so many crazy things. i think that even if i was an omni that would gross me out.

and granted, most fast food places really are vile, but most of my friends are omnis, and sometimes i just get so sick of not being able to order stuff, you know? it's good to have something you can get someplaces . . .

thanks vaderesque - it's quite the list of info
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

Well, I finally got a response from Olive Garden which was less than helpful. They said most of their pastas except ravioli were egg-free, but they "couldn't say" whether their sauces (i.e., marinara or pomodoro) contained any animal products as they "don't have that specific type of nutritional information".

On the other hand, I got this email from Romano's macaroni grill (which I'll be going to this weekend for my dad's bday celebration):

Thank you for your interest in Macaroni Grill. We have salads and pizza that can be ordered without meat. Our red sauce does not contain meat. Our base pastas (uncooked string pastas) are egg and milk free, with the exception of the Ravioli, Canneloni, and Lasagna, which do contain egg. Additionally, our pizza dough is egg and milk free.

The following menu items can be altered accordingly:
    · Any Entree Salad without the protein and without cheese
    · Vegetables without butter and cheese
    · Penne Arrabbiatta - no butter and no cheese
    · Capellini Pomodoro - no cheese
    · Create Your Own Pasta - no protein and no cheese

The following sauces do not have chicken stock/base in them. However, some of our entrees are built with chicken stock as an additional ingredient.

· Arrabbitata Sauce
    · Capellini Sauce
    · Marinara Sauce
    · Porcini Demi Glaze
    · Sherry Sauce
    · Oreganata Sauce

In addition, you may ask the management at your local Macaroni Grill to "custom create" a meal to your liking using any of our vegetarian components. Unfortunately, we do not know of any additional sauces that will be added in the future.

We again thank you for your interest in Macaroni Grill and we hope we have the opportunity to see you in our restaurant soon. It will be our pleasure to serve you.

Sincerely,

C. Payne
    Guest Relations

At Romano's, be sure to say you don't want butter or cheese in anything (I told them I "don't do dairy"), as the side salad comes with a ton of cheese on it if you don't. I did the "create your own pasta," but I had to substitute pomodoro sauce as all the sauces (except arrabitata and I didn't want spicy) listed had butter or cheese already in them.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote vaderesque
    Under their vegan heading, they list:Mexican Rice (without cheese), Seven Layer Burrito (no sour cream, no cheese)
    I have been told numerous times that the rice has chicken stock in it so I would be interested in knowing what you find out.

Quote vaderesque
    Well, I finally got a response from Olive Garden which was less than helpful. They said most of their pastas except ravioli were egg-free, but they "couldn't say" whether their sauces (i.e., marinara or pomodoro) contained any animal products as they "don't have that specific type of nutritional information".

On the other hand, I got this email from Romano's macaroni grill (which I'll be going to this weekend for my dad's bday celebration):

Thank you for your interest in Macaroni Grill. We have salads and pizza that can be ordered without meat. Our red sauce does not contain meat. Our base pastas (uncooked string pastas) are egg and milk free, with the exception of the Ravioli, Canneloni, and Lasagna, which do contain egg. Additionally, our pizza dough is egg and milk free.

The following menu items can be altered accordingly:
    · Any Entree Salad without the protein and without cheese
    · Vegetables without butter and cheese
    · Penne Arrabbiatta - no butter and no cheese
    · Capellini Pomodoro - no cheese
    · Create Your Own Pasta - no protein and no cheese

The following sauces do not have chicken stock/base in them. However, some of our entrees are built with chicken stock as an additional ingredient.

· Arrabbitata Sauce
    · Capellini Sauce
    · Marinara Sauce
    · Porcini Demi Glaze
    · Sherry Sauce
    · Oreganata Sauce

In addition, you may ask the management at your local Macaroni Grill to "custom create" a meal to your liking using any of our vegetarian components. Unfortunately, we do not know of any additional sauces that will be added in the future.

We again thank you for your interest in Macaroni Grill and we hope we have the opportunity to see you in our restaurant soon. It will be our pleasure to serve you.

Sincerely,

C. Payne
    Guest Relations
    i was visiting my aunt in sacramento in december and my plane was delayed so we decided to go out to eat... normaly before going to a chain i do online research, but the situation didnt permit, and she wanted to eat at the macaroni grill...

i thought i would probably end up with a white (ick ) lettuce salad like at some chains...

but i was plesently surpized by the make your own pasta option.

they actually give you a little form to fill out!

i had whole wheat penne with olive oil, tomatos, spinach, and pinenuts.

thats like something i would eat at home!!!

i was satisfied

i wrote a letter to them when i got home and they sent me a five dollar gift card!

overall a pretty good experience!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

i was sad to find out the other day that qdoba is not vegan friendly at all like i was told it was!

i have an ex-vegan friend who works there he told me that the vegetarian stuff (without the grossness, of course) is vegan. allong with the tortilla soup.

apparently NOTHING at qdoba is vegan!

the soft taco shells have L-cystine (also taco salad shells)

the tortilla soup has lethicin!!!!

here look for yourself..
    http://www.qdoba.com/Documents/allergen.pdf
    -henry miller

The lecithin may come from soya. There are some unnamed natural flavours though - they could be from anything.

The corn tacos and tortillas look to be vegan at least.

I sometimes wonder how many things have l-cysteine in, as there may be circumstances where it may not need to be listed.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    I have been told numerous times that the rice has chicken stock in it so I would be interested in knowing what you find out.
    I won't swear to it, but apparently in the past Taco Bell got their rice from two different sources (depending on the franchise) and now it all comes from one source that doesn't use chicken broth.

Edit: I just went on the Taco Bell site and looked at their nutritional information listings. It's a bit confusing, but it seems the prepared rice has sodium caseinate in it, but the "precooked raw (?) rice" doesn't

I had emailed California Dreaming about their marinara sauce and pasta, so they just emailed me back that they both "contain animal ingredients," so there's really nothing there for a vegan.

Quote Rob(QG)
    The lecithin may come from soya. There are some unnamed natural flavours though - they could be from anything.

I sometimes wonder how many things have l-cysteine in, as there may be circumstances where it may not need to be listed.
    about the lethicin...unless it says soy lethicin.. i avoid it.

and yeah... lots of things have L-cystine in them... unfortunatly
    -henry miller

On The Border Mexican Grill and Cantina:

They have this build your own burrito menu and it is fabulous except that some of the servers are stupid and don't know what goes in the food. (Big Suprise!)

Anyway I just found out that there is no burrito topping suitable for Vegetarians except the Queso. So no vegan option there.

The refried beans have beef bullion in them and so does the rice.

The tortilla shells appear to be OK though.

So the only option besides the salad being stripped down for me is:

Burrito with black beans, pico, guac, lettuce and tomato with no sauce.

Sheila
    "Take the path of least harm"

Wow. I knew that most chains didn't have squat for food for vegans, but it's amazing at some of the responses that people have had. I will definitely have to be careful if I go out with friends to eat.

Has this been posted yet? Hope it helps.

that does help, thanks!
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

I was wondering if something like that existed! Thanks gert
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote gertvegan
    Has this been posted yet? Hope it helps.
    That is a wonderful resource. Thanks! I'm so happy to know that Manhattan Bagels are vegan! I emailed them and they sent me a list of ingredients. It was so long and listed every possible bagel, that I never got through it all.

Cheers,
    rant

you can get the streamliner at johnny rockets. just make sure you ask for it with no butter on the roll.
    the dishes are done, man.

I have found that chain restaurants are adding veggie burgers to the menu. My guess is they are not vegan burgers but at least there is a veggie burger option on the menu. I know that Ruby Tuesday has several veggie burgers http://www.rubytuesday.com/menu/famousBurgers.asp (they also have an Alpine Swiss veggie burger).

Houstan's has a veggie burger as well.

Taco Bell is a vegan staple.

Since I'm not a fan of egg based veggie burgers I normally go for pasta with sautéed veggies with oregano and olive oil with an order of rolls without butter. Any restaurant that serves a pasta dish can normally whip this up.

Everything I eat has its beginnings in a seed.

Quote catalina
    OK, this is what I got from the Cheesecake Factory:

Bruschetta without bread
    OK, this is an older post, but I just noticed it and LOL.

so...bruschetta without bread is...chopped tomatoes?

Limey

Quote Wildflower
    OK, this is an older post, but I just noticed it and LOL.

so...bruschetta without bread is...chopped tomatoes?
    Exactly what I was thinking when I read it.

Quote E.F.
    This may have been stated already, but Native Foods has four places in So Cal and they're really good. Its more of a lunch type cafe and they have some deserts; the only thing is thats its a bit expensive.
    LOVE Native Foods!! Their pizzas and salads are amazing. My favorite is their "Greek Pizza" with caramelized onion, pesto and tofu feta cheese. www.nativefoods.com
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Limey

I'm sad about Qdoba's.

I am awaiting en email response from McAlister's Deli, although off-hand I can think of the Veggie Spud (?) without cheese. Baked potato with veggies, but they might be cooked in something vegan unfriendly. We'll see.

I need to eat lunch out today and have no idea where to go! I don't want just a salad either.

Quote eclectic_one
    I received a reply from Ruby Tuesday's. The rep said that if you order the veggie burger w/o cheese or mayonnaise, it is vegan.
    What about the bun?
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Quote maya
    PF. Changs has a great coconut curry tofu dish.

Dont be fooled by Chili's veggie burger is has egg in it.
    Coconut curry.. does that mean no oyster sauce?
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble