Thread: "The Dog Girl"

Default "The Dog Girl"

I don't think humans would consider dead animals 'food' if we wouldn't have been trained to do so. I saw a documentary the other day about a girl who spent some of her childhood locked up with dogs: she was actually living with dogs, eating (dog food) with them and so on. She moved like a dog, barked like a dog, and when they after a long time (later in life) managed to teach her to speak a human languag, she was asked what her favorite activities were. She answered that it was being with dogs, playing with them and so on.

Seeing the footage of a human that eats and moves and barks like a dog after having spent part of her childhood with these animals makes it very clear that humans are extremely adaptive and prone to external influence, especially in the early years of life. It doesn't surprise me that most humans raised on meat like the taste of meat or consider it food suitable for humans, but that doesn't mean that muscles and blood from animals IS human 'food'. Cannibals ate humans, but that doesn't make human meat 'food' either...

Maybe kids growing up in a community where cannibalism was considered normal would think I'd be crazy for not looking at what they ate as 'food'. I've been visiting places (in other parts of the world) where they don't only do not eat meat, but it's forbidden to sell or serve meat as well. Kids growing up there probably don't even think of dead animals' body parts as something that potentially could be killed, chewed and digested. If someone would discuss wasting food, eating a part of a dead animal probably wouldn't even pop up in their mind as an option.

'The Dog Girl'
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main...g17.xml&page=1

Default Re: "The Dog Girl"

I saw this programme about a year or so ago. What impressed me about this story was how dogs accepted a human as part of their society and shared their food with her.

Humans are heavily influenced by what they are taught from birth and anyone who was born to a non-meat eating family doesn't see animals as food. In the same way people who eat meat only see certain animals as food as they have be brought up with pets or see friends with pets and they wouldn't consider eating a cat, dog or horse for example.

RubyDuby

wow, this is really interesting to me.

I'm going to add it to my bank of info for vegan conversation.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

trudatman

what a horrible news source! so many misspellings, grammar mistakes, etc. a "pet peeve" of mine is the nonword "orientated," (you mean oriented, dipshit) which, like "for-TAY" in place of "forte" with a silent 'e,' has become acceptable speech. I did read the whole story, though, as it is, though very poorly written, an interesting subject.

Quote Trudatman View Post
    what a horrible news source! so many misspellings, grammar mistakes, etc. a "pet peeve" of mine is the nonword "orientated," (you mean oriented, dipshit) which, like "for-TAY" in place of "forte" with a silent 'e,' has become acceptable speech. I did read the whole story, though, as it is, though very poorly written, an interesting subject.
    That's not true... "orientated" versus "oriented" is a matter of personal choice. Orientated is generally British, oriented is usually in American usage.
    And forte is written with an acute accent on the 'e' so should techincally be pronounced with the 'TAY'.

But that aside....
    Thanks for the link, Korn! Very interesting.

trudatman

well, they're both annoying in American English. forte with the silly end is a music term, but everybody says the word meaning "special skill" like that, too.

lol, chill an that

Actually "oriented" is not a proper word, but was mispronounced so often as such that it became generally accepted. Same with "aluminium": it was misspelled so often due to the American pronunciation that now it's accepted to leave out the second "i". As much as I hate the word "oriented", I realise that lots of words originated from common mistakes (look up the origin of the word "pea": the original word was "pease", as in "one pease", "two peases", but too many people took the singular to mean the plural, so they started to pronounce the singular like "pea"). LOL wow, I'm digressing, but English word origins is one of my favourite subjects.

Anyway, great article Korn, I'm going to use that as a reference next time someone badgers me about being vegan!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

I love English word origins too!

Trudatman - it's a British newspaper, so I think criticism of the language in terms of American English is pretty unfair!

trudatman

Quote Yoggy View Post
    Actually "oriented" is not a proper word....
    actually, I have come to understand that the opposite is tru. look at how the word is spelled in the following use (from typing orientated into a dictionary):

orientated
    adjectiveadjusted or located in relation to surroundings or circumstances; sometimes used in combination; "the house had its large windows oriented toward the ocean view"; "helping freshmen become oriented to college life"; "the book is value-oriented throughout"

Trudatman, after doing some more research, it turns out we were both wrong and Emmy was right: it is a matter of personal choice, both spellings are perfectly acceptable . I was taught the opposite in my English classes growing up, but in Canada our books tend to favour the British spellings, so that might explain why I was taught only the one way.

Anyway, I'm really sorry for hijacking your thread Korn! I'll take this type of thing to private messages in the future.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer