PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123

earthling
Nov 4th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I'm posting a lot today - sorry. But this just happened: I shared a video from the Vegan Society on my Facebook page and NO SOONER have I posted it (it was a very good, very calm discussion of the ethics of meat eating by the aforementioned B. Zephaniah) than a defensive omni commented with a long waffly screed accusing me of being judgemental and preaching. It was so patronising, it really made me angry. He said 'being judgemental is not becoming'. Charming. Why is it okay for meat eaters to come over to a vegan's page and basically say 'I am a meat eater and I command you to shut up!' but it's not okay for me to post a video on MY page presenting, very respectfully, the arguments for not using animals?

I GIVE UP. (Not really.)

Vegan Beast
Nov 4th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I'm posting a lot today - sorry. But this just happened: I shared a video from the Vegan Society on my Facebook page and NO SOONER have I posted it (it was a very good, very calm discussion of the ethics of meat eating by the aforementioned B. Zephaniah) than a defensive omni commented with a long waffly screed accusing me of being judgemental and preaching. It was so patronising, it really made me angry. He said 'being judgemental is not becoming'. Charming. Why is it okay for meat eaters to come over to a vegan's page and basically say 'I am a meat eater and I command you to shut up!' but it's not okay for me to post a video on MY page presenting, very respectfully, the arguments for not using animals?

I GIVE UP. (Not really.)

He must feel guilty for his choices.

sandra
Nov 4th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Why is it okay for meat eaters to come over to a vegan's page and basically say 'I am a meat eater and I command you to shut up!' but it's not okay for me to post a video on MY page presenting, very respectfully, the arguments for not using animals?

I agree Earthling! :thumbsup:

It's probably as Vegan Beast says.............he has a very guilty conscience and knows deep down he's in the wrong! :mad:

ems.w
Nov 5th, 2010, 02:52 AM
ive only been vegan for a week, and thankfully ive had nothing but good comments (im not sure if that cos when i explain my reasons for becoming vegan people are just like 'god hear she goes, well just agree and agree with her to shut her up') but i'm not looking forward to the small minded, comments that i know i am bound to recieve. i dont feel i need to justify myself to anyone. been a budhist i try to be a peaceful loving person but im not sure if i could take some of the arrogance from most people which i know i will encounter.

Andy_T
Nov 5th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Hello ems.w,

welcome to the light side!!!

You can always say that you are doing it for your health (people might understand that one better)

For more details, read the book 'The China Study' that presents very compelling evidence that a whole plant based, low-fat diet (i.e. no animal products) can most likely make a tremendous contribution to avoid most 'diseases of affluence' (heart condition, cancer, diabetes, obesity) that plague western civilizations nowadays.

Best regars,
Andy

Clueless Git
Nov 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM
... been a budhist i try to be a peaceful loving person but im not sure if i could take some of the arrogance from most people which i know i will encounter.
'Lo ems and welcome onboard, as it were .. :)

On the buddhist thing; I strongly recommend contemplation on the bit where the buddha says that although we should teach with gentle lessons first that harsh lessons should be delivered before we walk away and leave another person to continue to suffer, and to be a cause of suffering to others, as a result of their ignorance.

I alway find that helpfull when I feel an overwhelming urge to deliver a shoe full of loving-kindness into someones goolies ...

Clueless Git
Nov 5th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I agree Earthling! :thumbsup:

It's probably as Vegan Beast says.............he has a very guilty conscience and knows deep down he's in the wrong! :mad:
Very important that is ...

The ones who give away that they know they are wrong are worth working on. It's almost like they are begging for someone to weild a sledgehammer heavy enough to crack the shell of their ignorance for them.

It's the one's who seem to understand the arguments perfectly and respect vegans for what they do but still go ahead and order the pate foi gra and veal that I find frightening ...

sandra
Nov 5th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I find that sort frightening too.................there is something very cold and calculating about that sort of person. :(

earthling
Nov 5th, 2010, 12:38 PM
^ Kind of an extreme relativism isn't it, that perspective? Everyone chooses their own morals, as though the morality of veganism and the morality of meat-eating were equivalent, and can't be judged against each other, as everything is a 'choice'. Wouldn't work with someone 'choosing' to be a human-murderer though would it?

One of my friends ate veal the other week. I was shocked. I thought that was a faux-pas even among meat eaters.

harpy
Nov 5th, 2010, 04:49 PM
That depends on the veal - if it's UK-produced veal (i.e. not reared in crates) some welfare organisations such as the RSPCA say meat-eaters should consider eating it because it means that the calves aren't either killed at birth or exported to countries that use crates :-/ http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/eat-british-veal-with-a-clear-conscience-says-rspca-899778.html

earthling
Nov 5th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Oh ffs. That article is horrible. How the RSPCA can argue for killing baby animals is beyond me. Talk about doublethink.

vorpal
Nov 5th, 2010, 05:31 PM
One of my friends ate veal the other week. I was shocked. I thought that was a faux-pas even among meat eaters.

I equate eating veal with consuming dairy products these days. Doesn't go down well I can tell you! I'd not recommend this practise to people who need alot of friends.

earthling
Nov 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I'd not recommend this practise to people who need alot of friends.

lol Well it is true that consuming dairy is 'veal-enabling'... but I know what you mean. Thinking of my lacto-ovo veggie friends in particular!!

harpy
Nov 5th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I equate eating veal with consuming dairy products these days. I agree, it's two sides of the same coin, though veal from crated calves is probably worse than "traditionally" produced milk from the cruelty point of view.

ems.w
Nov 6th, 2010, 12:15 AM
thanks andy_t and cs...
I do say for health reasons but they just give me the healthy on tufo look......i think some people think that im going to turn round and say to them actually yeh your right pass me a burger! i frustrates me...i thnk ill give that book ago (always looking for new material)
as for the buddhist in me i think ill have to work on the hashd aproach to peace...

ems.w
Nov 6th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I alway find that helpfull when I feel an overwhelming urge to deliver a shoe full of loving-kindness into someones goolies ...
hahahaha this made me giggle....:bigsmile:

Andy_T
Nov 6th, 2010, 12:32 AM
i thnk ill give that book ago (always looking for new material)...

To be honest, the book is a bit dry ... it's about a medical study.

The executive summary is: If you live on a whole foods, plant based, low fat diet (80% carbohydrates, 10% protein, 10% fat), you will not get heart disease, various kinds of cancer, diabetes, obesity and a number of others (e.g. autoimmune diseases like MS). People who eat a meat-based diet have a good chance of falling prey to one of these 'diseases of affluence' at some point in their life.

Other books I consider worth reading are 'Eating animals' by jonathan Safran Foer and 'Skinny Bitch'.

Best regards,
Andy

ems.w
Nov 6th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Other books I consider worth reading are 'Eating animals' by jonathan Safran Foer and 'Skinny Bitch'
Ok thanks ill add them to my christmas list :)

Clueless Git
Nov 6th, 2010, 11:33 AM
hahahaha this made me giggle....:bigsmile:
Glad I made you smile Ems ..

It comes from a story (joke, possibly) about a buddhist woman who gets mugged. Being confused as to how she should have handled the encounter she asks a monk what she should have done.

The monk replies "you should have taken your umbrella and, with GREAT loving kindness, beaten him soundly around the head!"

:D

ems.w
Nov 6th, 2010, 02:29 PM
The monk replies "you should have taken your umbrella and, with GREAT loving kindness, beaten him soundly around the head!"
again :bigsmile: lol

Back-Space
Nov 6th, 2010, 03:19 PM
The China Study is a slow read for the first half. It's really educational though :) Lots of ammunition for the next time an omni goes running their mouth.

ems.w
Nov 6th, 2010, 09:15 PM
The China Study is a slow read for the first half. It's really educational though Lots of ammunition for the next time an omni goes running their mouth.
i can't seem to find this book do u possibly have a link to were i can buy it from please

Enchantress
Nov 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications/dp/1932100660/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289076563&sr=1-1

ems.w
Nov 6th, 2010, 09:52 PM
TY

kookooforkarma
Nov 7th, 2010, 05:25 AM
"So, is she, like, gonna try to raise the baby vegan too!?" .... wow. :eek: