Thread: Scott Jurek - Ultra Vegan

Default Scott Jurek - Ultra Vegan

Found at http://www.samadhi-yoga.com/jai/yoglif.htm

Ultra Vegan
    Interview with Scott Jurek by Evets Sivad

When I first met Scott Jurek (pronounced, “yurek”) he had already been coming to my yoga classes for several months. With a strapping 6’2” frame and dark curly hair hanging halfway down his back, he wasn’t easily missed as he passed by the front desk of the studio. His silver bike helmet and auto-lock biking shoes were standard attire despite rain or shine. In class I noticed a high level of concentration and focus unusual for a beginning student. One morning after class I approached Scott to say I hadn’t seen him in several weeks and wondered if he had been out of town. He told me he had been in California competing in a race.

“Oh, and how did it go?” I replied off-handedly. “I won,” he said matter of factly. ‘Wow,” I said with surprise, “that’s great”. “What kind of race was it?” “It’s called the Western States 100,” Scott replied. “Is that a marathon?” I asked, my interest building. “It’s an ultra marathon” he clarified. “So that’s like 50 miles right?” I asked slightly incredulously. “An ultra marathon is anything over the standard marathon distance of 26.2 miles, this race was 100 miles,” he explained. “100 miles…and you won?” I gasped dumbfounded.

Needless to say, humility was not lacking in this student. Wanting to know more about this 100 mile race, I searched the internet for more information. The search revealed numerous articles from national newspapers and magazines telling about this extraordinary athlete winning this extraordinary race. Not only was the Western States 100 considered the most prestigious ultra marathon in the world, but it’s also the oldest and most difficult. It starts in Lake Tahoe and goes west over the Sierra Mountain Range ending outside Sacramento via 100 miles of mostly rugged trails through high elevations and soaring temperatures. Amazing, I thought as I read through the myriad of references; then the real shocker came. Scott Jurek has won the race every year for the last five years in a row! At the age of 29 Scott is already a legend in the world of ultra marathons. What I didn’t find out in the mainstream media, but from Scott in person, is that he is 100% vegan and has been since before his amazing winning streak. Maybe the mainstream media considered this too shocking for the meat eating public to digest.

Since my wife and I, are always trying to educate our students about the benefits of a vegan diet, I must admit I immediately saw Scott as a potential poster boy for the vegan movement. After all, who could possibly argue that there wasn’t enough protein in a vegan diet after learning about his amazing physical feats? Excited about this prospect, I asked to interview Scott about his training, competing, and diet in order to educate and enlighten our readers. What follows is the interview.

How did you get started running ultra marathons?

Well, I always loved cross country skiing and trail running so it was kind of a natural transition. On a whim one of my running and skiing buddies decided to enter a 50 mile trail race and won. He was so jazzed about it that it got me interested enough to give it a try. I placed second in my first competition which was a 50 mile trail race, and I was hooked. I love exercising in the outdoors and this was an opportunity to run for miles through beautiful countryside. Also, the trail running scene is much more laid back and enjoyable compared to your typical road race which takes place in or around a city. The popularity of trail running has skyrocketed over the last decade because it leaves the crowds, cars, smog, and pavement behind.

How old were you when you ran your first ultra marathon and what was your diet like then?

I was nineteen and my diet at that point had not changed from what I was raised eating. I grew up in Minnesota eating a fairly Standard American Diet (SAD) which could be loosely categorized as “meat and potatoes.” However, my mother was very much a home maker and made most everything from scratch. So we ate fairly well rounded, minimally processed meals, but they were always based around meat. I learned how to prepare meals at home and continued to do so when I went off to college. That is where I met Leah my wife, who introduced me to the benefits of a more holistic vegetarian diet. Over time, influenced by Leah’s diet and Andrew Weil’s books: Spontaneous Healing, and Eating Well for Optimum Health, I started to make a transition away from meat and dairy. The turning point came when some friends lent me the book Mad Cowboy, by Howard F. Lyman. This book really opened my eyes to the factory farming nightmare and how unhealthy it was for me, the animals, and the environment. I was so inspired after reading this book that I committed to cutting out all animal products from my diet from that point on.

What changes did you notice in your life after adopting a vegan diet?

I definitely noticed many changes, but these changes aren’t immediate. It’s not like you wake up the next morning and feel ten times better. The changes are more gradual and you can see them better once you continue down the path for a while and then look back. In regards to competing and training I noticed my recovery times had shortened, that I was less injury prone, and had a higher level of energy. Above all, the major changes were in my relationship to food preparation and intake. I became very concerned not just about veganism, but about proper nutrition. I’ve come across many vegans who are still drinking soda pop. The point is you can be vegan and still have an unhealthy diet. So I really got into the origin of my food to the point of grinding my own flour to bake my own bread. The changes were both profound and subtle on every aspect of my life.

Were there difficulties along the way?

A big block for me, and I know this is the case for others, is gaining a sense of confidence in your diet choice. Especially in the case of an athlete, there is always the fear, or doubt that can creep up about whether you are getting what you need to perform optimally. It takes a lot of experimentation and time to build this confidence because there is not a lot of support from the world at large. So many more people are still eating animal products that they immediately doubt you and your diet without them. That can get in your head and make you doubt yourself and all the work you’ve done especially when you’re 75 miles down the trail and feeling less than wonderful. These mind games are always going to be a factor so one has to be diligent in making sure you are getting the right nutrients, protein, sleep, etc. in order to minimize internal conflict and build self confidence.

What is your training schedule like and how does your diet support it?

I run an average of about 120 miles per week on trails with lots of elevation. When I’m getting ready for a race I do some weekend intensives like running up and down Mt. Si, three times as fast as possible. This gives me over 12,000 ft. of vertical gain in the course of 24 miles, it’s very convenient. Then I’ll run a 35 mile trail run with 10,000 ft. of elevation the next day. This helps to simulate the impact of a 100 mile race on my body. In terms of diet I just try to eat as much wholesome nutritious food as feels right. I love to prepare food and I love to eat. I don’t count my calories, but I have before, and I know I’m getting between 5000 and 8000 calories per day. My favorite foods are greens, especially dinosaur kale which I eat raw in my salads. Lately, I’ve been incorporating a lot more raw, unadulterated, fruits and vegetables into my diet which feels really great.

Optimal health is one of the obvious effects of a vegan diet, and the one that got you started, but how do you feel about the socio-political and environmental considerations?

Life to me is all about learning. The choices we make are in effect the lessons that we learn from, and what we learn accumulates as experiential wisdom helping to shape our future choices. I want to maintain this state of learning so I can be open to the lessons that come. Some people become vegan for a particular reason and they hold on to that reason alone. The reason for me started with my individual health. The impact of my original choice has expanded beyond my individual health to include the well being of people, animals and the environment. This is in line with my holistic philosophy and keeping aware of the bigger picture. I come from a family that has hunted and fished for generations and I respect the past, but now I have a different vision for the present and future that has big picture implications. Similarly, when I started running ultra marathons it was about maximizing my performance and having fun. I’m still having fun, but now the races have become a forum for me to connect with nature and people who are concerned about the health and well being of themselves and the planet. As a result of my success, I’m in a position of influence and these people look to me for inspiration. The choice to become vegan has changed my life and now those changes are rippling out to help change other lives and ultimately the world. I’m thrilled to have a positive impact on the world beyond myself. It’s what makes any personal suffering worth while.

With all your miles of training and during these intense 100 mile (20 + hour) races, have you ever had what you might consider a spiritual experience?

Definitely, there is something really magical that happens. In fact, its these little glimpses of what I call epic experiences that keep me going. I think this is a common experience for athletes of all kinds it just differs in how they describe it. For me it’s when all the craziness around me, the pressure to win, the physical pain and psychological suffering build to an almost unbearable intensity, that I’m forced to dig deep within. It’s at these junctures that something opens up and allows me this indescribable experience, and suddenly I feel not just unstoppable, but unlimited. Running these races has becomes a vehicle for reaching these states within myself that I haven’t learned to access in any other way. I’ve come to see these races as a spiritual journey condensed into a period of roughly 24 hours. The demons of your own mind come out to torment you forcing you to come face to face with the deepest sense of self. In order to overcome the many obstacles over the course of 100 miles I’m forced to find the part of me that won’t succumb to the suffering, but instead will rise above and be victorious. To do this I really have to dig deep.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Ultra Vegan

A couple of websites about him.

www.scottjurek.com

www.ws100.com/recordholders.htm

Great article. Thanks Korn!

Year Winner

2004 Scott Jurek

2003 Scott Jurek

2002 Scott Jurek

2001 Scott Jurek

2000 Scott Jurek

1999 Scott Jurek
    "But where does he get his nutrients from?"

(Photo taken from his homepage: http://www.scottjurek.com)
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Guys like these are the ones teenage girls should be screaming and swooning over.

Kevster

Aye great article, cheers for that, Scott Jurek sounds like a top bloke.

Geoff

Quote snivelingchild
    Guys like these are the ones teenage girls should be screaming and swooning over.
    Never mind the girls, I'M swooning over him!

Quote Geoff
    Never mind the girls, I'M swooning over him!
    He should be like a mascot or something for all to admire. *admire*

California! (Here I come, right back where I started from...)

hey! I'm a teenage girl! Wow, this guy's incredible! Running 120 miles a week!?!?! He's just so.... *swoon*

He ran his way to consecutive victory number 7 at the 2005 Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run!

And in two weeks time he'll will make his first attempt at the Badwater Ultramarathon. Watch his progress on the webcast starting Monday July 11 at 10AM.

Kevster

Hey, I'm a teenage guy and I am swooning!

thanks a lot for that. i wish that more non-vegans would read that and then stop harrassing us thinking that we dont get enough of our nutrients.
    A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs.
    - Proverbs 12:10

Default Vegan man breaks marathon record.

Sorry if this is a repost, or in the wrong section.

Amazing what us vegans can achieve, considering we're apparently all on the verge of death

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/others...0_jurek22.html

Default Re: Vegan man breaks marathon record.

What an amazing athlete. I love that he "paced" himself at 9-10 minutes miles. I couldn't run a 9 minute mile if my life depended on it.
    I'm a slow runner averaging 12 minute miles. Pathetic, I know.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Blimey! I didn't know anyone could do that, regardless of what they eat.

Amazing stuff. Very heartwarming.

Incredible

Is it possible to get his tipical one-day menu? That would be interesting...

Default Re: Scott Jurek - Ultra Vegan

VeganJohn

Quote medus
    Incredible

Is it possible to get his tipical one-day menu? That would be interesting...

Aha, you are in luck. I just stumbled across this thread.

I have a copy of the US magazine VegNews, which has an extensive article about Scott Jurek and lists a daily menu.

Here it is:

BREAKFAST

Fresh pressed wheatgrass juice and/or green drink.

3-4 pieces of fruit, in season and local depending upon time of year.

Energy Bar

Soy yogurt with fresh or frozen berries

Smoothie: Almond-Carob (soaked berries, hemp protein powder, frozen bananas, dates, carob powder, sea salt and vanilla) or Spirulina pudding (avocado, apples, pears, spirulina powder and banana).

Sprouted garin raisin bread toasted with almond butter.

Water or tea (herbal or green).

LATE MORNING SNACK

Warm cereal: polenta with walnuts and maple syrup, or barley or oat flakes with rice milk and sliced fruit, or cold cereal with raisins, almonds and rice milk.

LUNCH

Large raw green salad: kale or other dark leafy green, romaine, or cabbage topped with veggies, carrots, cucumber, bell peppers, avocado and soaked pumpkin or sunflower seeds.

Whole grain rye bread with sunflower or pumpkin seeds tpped with olive oil, garlic powder and salt.

Sauteed tofu or sliced tofu with miso spread.

Water

DINNER

Small raw green salad: dark leafy greens such as collards, spinach or chard and steamd or sauteed veggies such as broccoli or cauliflower.

Grain (brown rice, barley or bulgar wheat) or boiled potatoes.

Sauteed tempeh with lime juice, olive oil, miso or tamari sauce.

DESSERT

Hot chocloate with rice milk or carob tofu pudding.

LATE EVENING SNACK

Popcorn with olive oil, sea salt and nutritional yeast.
    Water or herbal tea.

Thanks for posting that, VeganJohn.

Now, I'd like to find out what he eats when he's doing an ultramarathon. I may make the jump to ultras next year, and know I couldn't go all day on gels and bars.

I hate to be the party pooper and people ca nchange which I hope this man has but this txt on his BIO is disturbing "His connection with nature included hunting, fishing and camping with his family in northern Minnesota" I hope I am reading this wrong, please some tell me I am misunderstanding what looks to be a vegan champ.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

VeganJohn

I have an interview with Scott in the magazine in front of me. He says:

'I grew up eating a typical meat and potatoes diet, not to mention hunting and fishing and I strongly disliked vegetables as a child. I didn't like to venture outside of potatoes, carrots and corn.......In 1997, while I was finishing my masters degree in physical therapy, I was inspired to improve my diet after I read Spontaneous Healing by Dr. Andrew Weil......After being lacto-ovo vegetarian for two years and perfecting my diet, a couple of running friends of mine who recently transitioned to a vegan diet turned me on to Howard Lyman's book Mad Cowboy. It was through reading the book that I really opened up. I began to understand that being vegetarian was more than just a diet for health and vitality, but a lifestyle that shows respect for health, the environment and the animals'.

Hope that has clarified a few things about Scott, who is surely an excellent example of being vegan.

Cheers John that is great and brilliant news I wish more people in the hunting background would follow this mans actions.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Wow. I've just read this thread for the first time. I am feeling lost for words, but I felt a huge surge of happiness and joy reading about this man and what he can achieve.
    If EVER someone makes comments about a vegan diet being inferior to me again, I now know exactly what to say.

Oh, and I found the word I was searching for now..

** Incredible **

How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Jurek defends Badwater title. More info here.

i missed this thread the first time around - wonderful inspiring article on jurek.

the eco village article is pretty interesting too.

Russ

Wow this guy eats a lot of food.

Edit: Actually it's just the "breakfast" and "late morning snack" parts that threw me. He probably actually eats less than me for his other meals.

Good sperm

He will burn around 8000 cals a day though so he needs to eat plenty

Russ

Tru dat

wow this guy is amazing, thanks for posting it. I can't wait to tell all my omni friends.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Forget his physical prowess, im impressed with his daily food intake, thats a fair bit to pack in in one day. Lol.
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

His book is out, which contains recipes. I just pre-ordered it from amazon (released 1st July).

http://scottjurek.com/eatandrun/reviews/
    "I dream of painting and then I paint my dream"

Vincent Van Gogh

I have been wanting to get his new book "Eat and Run" but the stores are always sold out! I asked a few friends to look into getting it for me for my birthday in a week. Scott grew up where I am living now, in the same town. I guess this is why this book is so popular here. It is already on the shelves here.

I think...
    I want this to be my new goal, but my knees can't handle running very well.

I am just in awe. This man is amazing.

Finished reading this yesterday. Very interesting life story and example of mind over body and well written imo. Not a massive amount of recipes but those ones in look good and worth a try. I give the jurker book 4/5 stars :P

Vincent Van Gogh

I read the book too! I received it for my birthday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually took up trail running after reading this book and so far have run through woods and on a beach (four miles non stop which is nothing for runners but a big deal for me and I did part of it barefoot) and through two park trails, and I have run outside almost every day for the past few weeks with a day off each week. I am a treadmill runner converted to outdoor and I absolutely love it! I already cycle to work (started that two years ago) so that has helped me in my running outside. I will never aim to be even close to an ultra marathoner lol and I enjoy running for my own sanity and joy, not for competition. But the little victories I accomplish are just as sweet. And running outside, especially early in the morning, you witness a lot of things you'd miss otherwise, like a baby robin struggling to fly from a porch, or blackbirds exploring a childs plastic house left in a yard, or the way sunlight slants through branches.

I think this book does a great service in bringing vegan awareness to the mainstream public. He talks about his diet in a way that is not condescending or preachy which I think people will be more open to exploring. He also has his own blog though he doesnt seem to have a lot of time to update on it. Overall worth a read, runner or not!

I trail run as well robin and usually around 4miles like you. It's about all I can manage but it makes me feel good and I enjoy my food more afterwards. Never tried barefoot but I'm looking into buying some minimalist trail running shoes with less cushioning to see what that is like. Good point about him not preaching about vegan. That is another point I like about this book.

Vincent Van Gogh

Quote markusaurelius View Post
    I trail run as well robin and usually around 4miles like you. It's about all I can manage but it makes me feel good and I enjoy my food more afterwards. Never tried barefoot but I'm looking into buying some minimalist trail running shoes with less cushioning to see what that is like. Good point about him not preaching about vegan. That is another point I like about this book.
    You'll have to let me know how those minimalist shoes work out. I might try some too.

I forgot to mention, as an insider who lives in Duluth (Proctor Minnesota is part of Duluth), that multiple sclerosis (which Scott's mother had) is very common here. My husband's best friend has it too. There is a factory in nearby Cloquet and there has been a lot of investigation into illness caused by chemical pollution there. I find it interesting that there is a high rate of multiple sclerosis. Another interesting tidbit. Scott's ulma matter, the College of St. Scholastica in Duluth, is where my mother taught for a number of years. She is a Benedictine nun (the Sisters own the college). I had to show her the part where he says Sister Mary Boo is a "badass" Nun even among nuns or something like that. She got a kick out of that. I met Sister Mary Richard Boo sometime ago and she is a wonderful lady. I would love to meet Hippie Dan. I'd tell him about The Vegan Forum! And I love the Positively Third Street Bakery mentioned, which is the only bakery in Duluth with vegan breads and cookies. Surprisingly not much has been publicized here about "Eat and Run". You'd think a book that puts us on the map would be all over the news.

Sorry to hear about multiple sclerosis being common over where you live Robin. That is cool that you met Sister Mary Richard Boo and the vegan bakery sounds like a nice pleasure trap :P Was the book even mentioned in the local papers at all? Slightly bias omni journalism if not. I will let you know how the trail shoes go when I get some.

Vincent Van Gogh

There was an article in the Duluth News Tribune about the book on July 12th. I tried to access it online just now but you have to be a paid subscriber to read it. Figures. As far as I know there hasn't been any mention of Scott Jurek or his book on the local news stations, but as I mentioned a few posts ago his book has been selling fast at the Barnes and Noble bookstore here and they have had to restock numerous times. Up here, veganism is not popular (although running is) but little by little that is starting to change as a handful of restaurants are including a few token vegan meals now. The Whole Foods Coop up here and a few other groceries are also carrying vegan specific items that are otherwise hard to find (plant milks, tempeh etc.). But this community is still very much into the local grass fed beef and "free range" eggs/chicken movement. Hunters abound up here and fishing is a big deal. So I can imagine that a book that challenges some of these core values might not be brought into the limelight.
    I have only ordered bread from the Positively Third Street bakery once (I like to make my own from time to time or I just buy Ezekiel if I want bread) but it was pleasurable indeed. I want to try their skidmark and ginger cookies that are vegan one of these days.

Great thread, thank you for bringing it "out of the vault".

Have just bought the book and am looking forward to reading it.

Best regards,
    Andy

Well at least people are buying his book Robin I looked into the minimalist running shoes and found this company

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Index.asp?L=26

I emailed them and they confirmed that all their shoes are vegan (all made in same factory in china) except for the roclite 335 GTX and roclite 400 GTX as these have nubuck leather on them. I ended up buying these ones

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Pro...zure.html?L=26

I've been wearing them in by walking and now just had 2 runs in them recently, which went good. Early days but I would recommend them. There are various size cushioning as can be seen in below link. I went with 9mm because I'm trail running.

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Tra...rney.html?L=26

Also there are a variety of soles

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Soles.html?L=26

I tried on some of their road running shoes recently as well and liked these the best.

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Pro...Camo.html?L=26

I currently have some brooks adrenaline gtx with heal cradle for running on road but I reckon I will replace them asap as I'd like to run in neutral and not with that heel support thing now that I'm used to running a lot more. Hope this helps. Hopefully you have somewhere you can try on some inov8 Robin. All the best.

Vincent Van Gogh

Just finished the book last week, really interesting and inspiring stuff. Someone you can really relate to.....even has me considering an ultra

Quote markusaurelius View Post
    Well at least people are buying his book Robin I looked into the minimalist running shoes and found this company

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Index.asp?L=26

I emailed them and they confirmed that all their shoes are vegan (all made in same factory in china) except for the roclite 335 GTX and roclite 400 GTX as these have nubuck leather on them. I ended up buying these ones

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Pro...zure.html?L=26

I've been wearing them in by walking and now just had 2 runs in them recently, which went good. Early days but I would recommend them. There are various size cushioning as can be seen in below link. I went with 9mm because I'm trail running.

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Tra...rney.html?L=26

Also there are a variety of soles

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Soles.html?L=26

I tried on some of their road running shoes recently as well and liked these the best.

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Pro...Camo.html?L=26

I currently have some brooks adrenaline gtx with heal cradle for running on road but I reckon I will replace them asap as I'd like to run in neutral and not with that heel support thing now that I'm used to running a lot more. Hope this helps. Hopefully you have somewhere you can try on some inov8 Robin. All the best.
    Thanks for all the info! I will definitely look into these shoes. I am off on vacation starting tomorrow morning through Sunday with no computer access but next week I might check this out. I will be heading to a wilderness area to camp and I am hoping to get some trail running in up there. I am completely exhausted though due to a combination of major thyroid imbalance at the moment and overdoing it with running and cycling last week. So I may have to take a few days rest and do absolutely nothing.

I have a neutral foot as well with no pronation issues. Right now I am running with Asics Gel Cumulus (have used them for a year and am on my second pair) which is the only shoe of the twenty pairs I have tried on so far at two different running speciality stores that feels right for my feet. I have a wide foot at the toes with narrow heel and a very high arch (from years of ballet training) so my feet are very picky when it comes to shoes. I am not sure if they are vegan but they are made of synthetic leather and mesh (the glue might not be vegan). My two pairs of hiking shoes and boots are vegan but not good for running. I have not tried on minimalist shoes yet but may give that a try next. I hate anything restricting my foot so I may very well like the minimalist shoes.

Best wishes to you too in your new shoes!

RunsOnVeg,

Wow, you might try an ultra? I am still working towards a marathon and that seems daunting! Good luck with it!

Thanks Robin...just in the 'considering' stage. Long way off anything like that at the moment